What's the deal with Custom Crops?

RadioNate

DIS Veteran
I've seen here to stay away from them but the prices are so good and they seemed to be recommended on the cricut site (which is where I first heard of them). I haven't seen much about them anywhere else.

thanks

I haven't purchased anything from them, but my BFF bought her baby bug from them. Then she ordered another cart and Design Studio in a 2nd order. She received both orders in a timely manner.

I've ordered from them twice and had great service both times. I even ordered right before Christmas and had my cart in a week. I would use them again without a second thought. I just looking at the Pooh carts over there.

I'm happy to hear some positive feedback. They also have some eBay auctions I was considering. I really haven't seen much about them elsewhere but did see a comment here and there to stay away. I'm going to go ahead and try it since they are $50 less than anywhere else I've looked and I don't want to wait for sale!

thanks again!

I bought from the through ebay and got my cartridge in a few days! I would buy from them again.

I've bought through them on eBay several times and NEVER had anything less than excellent service! I live 1/2 hr. away from their place and they even offered to let me come pick up my merchandise instead of paying the shipping charges.

Brenda

(sorry for the BOOK...I'm venting and need some advice)

I'm having a heck of a bad time with Custom Crops and am at my wits end about it.

I won an ebay auction for a Cricut Expressions machine which comes with 2 cartridges. I selected my cartridges from their "approved list", paid for my order with AmEx and expected it to ship out in a matter of days...especially since the title of the ebay auction was "NOW IN STOCK - CRICUT EXPRESSIONS MACHINE...".

That order was placed and paid for on 9/1. After not receiving a shipping comfirmation within the week (when it said it would ship in 1-2 days), on 9/7 I sent an email inquiring about it. I received a reply on 9/8 saying that my order was being "held" because I owed them $4.99 for one of the cartridges I ordered. Confused at this response, I asked them what the extra charge was for because I ordered the cartridge from the list they told me to, and I didn't see anywhere that it mentioned an extra cost or I would have included it in my payment. Nor did they make any effort to NOTIFY me of this glitch that was holding up my order.

The next day I got another email from someone else, saying not to worry about the $4.99 and that she released the order and it shipped out...would be on a truck on 9/9.

I had since purchased 2 other items from them via ebay auctions on 9/10 (assuming they were holding up their end of the bargain and shipping out my original order the day before). The two items I ordered were Sizzix alphabet dies; 1 was a cheaper item that I won for around $10, and the other was a more expensive (retired) alphabet that I felt I was getting for a STEAL at the winning price of $4.65!!

I did have a concern about that second auction because although the title of the auction AND the photograph were for the retired product I wanted, the Description mentioned a different product...a less expensive one. Before the auction was over, I sent them a message informing them of the discrepancy and that the item I was bidding on was the one pictured and in the title, and that if I were to win the auction, that's what I expected to receive. I did win the auction (in the middle of the night, LOL), and 2 days later I received a reply from someone there saying "Wow, you're right! I'll be sure we get that corrected and we will send you the product you were bidding on". I figured they planned to honor the auction...but I guess I figured wrong!

After a number of failed telephone attempts and several emails had been exchanged, I was assured by 2-3 different staff members that my Cricut machine was already shipped, confirming that the 2 cartridges I asked for were included.

Yesterday I received ONE of the sizzix alphabets (the $10 one that I had won), and on the packing list it said "Back Ordered" by the other (more expensive and mislabeled) item. Isn't it against ebay policy to auction off a product you do NOT HAVE??? :confused3:

Now, since my "NOW IN STOCK" Cricut machine STILL hasn't arrived, yet a product I ordered from them the day after my machine had supposedly shipped was already delivered to me, I began to get upset.

I made another attempt to contact them by telephone yesterday, but to no avail. They never answer the phone, and no matter which option you select, ultimately you cannot get a human on the phone. I've heard that they were closed (even during their stated business hours), I have selected an extension and been told that the mailbox was full and could not receive any more messages, etc.

Finally, I sat down and sent them a long email, telling them exactly how upset I was about their poor level of customer service. I pointed out to them that they BEG customers not to post negative feedback on them on ebay and to contact them directly to work out any issues that need attention, but when you attempt to do that, you get no response. How can we work anything out when we cannot reach them?! It's obvious I'm not the first unhappy customer or they wouldn't have that "disclaimer" on their website about not giving them negative ebay feedback!!

I told them that I've done everything I could to honor their request but if I did not hear from them by Thursday, via email or telephone, I expected to receive by FRIDAY either my Cricut Expressions machine (which I pointed out would have to be sent overnight if it hadn't shipped yet) or my money refunded to my credit card...one or the other. I warned them that I would not only give them negative feedback on ebay, but report them for fraud.

The tracking number they gave me has no information associated with it...just confirms that it was "shipped 9/9", but not where the package is at this moment. That told me something was wrong because it's been exactly the same every day since 9/9! I called UPS today, after still not receiving my package. I gave them the tracking number for this package and they confirmed that it has not been given to them yet. The "invoice" was generated, indicating that a package would be coming to them, but it has not yet been given to them...this is the package that I have a confirmation from Custom Crops saying it shipped on 9/9, along with an email from Amber, telling me it was on the truck!

Saying something is "in stock" and "shipped" when it hasn't even left their plant yet...that's fraud. Selling/auctioning a product and promising a 1-2 day turnaround on shipping when you do not even have the product in house and it's on "back order" for more than 30 days...that's fraud!!

They now have well over $300 of my money and I have nothing to show for it but a bunch of broken promises and lies. I have been waiting 17 days for my "in stock" product and they still have not responded to my latest email message, nor has the package even left their facility.

So, I reported them to ebay this evening...let's see if they respond to me now! :mad:

That's my story, sad but true...I wanted to warn everyone out there not to be sucked in by the good prices at CUSTOM CROPS. It's only a bargain if you actually GET the products! All I've gotten so far is a lot of frustration! I could have ordered these same products elsewhere and even bid on other auctions for them, and probably had them long ago. :sad1:

Anyone have any suggestions on how I should proceed? I don't know if I should call AmEx and dispute the charges, or what. All I know is that I now own cartridges and design software (purchased from other ebay sellers) for a Cricut machine that I do not even have yet, and will probably never get from Custom Crops. I cannot afford to buy another one until I get my money refunded...any recommendations?

I'd call AmEx and see if they'll not pay Custom Crops until you call them back and say you've received your merchandise. Or whatever AmEx recommends.

Wonder if the Better Business Bureau has records of online retailers. Just a thought.

So sorry this happened to you. I've never ordered from them because I read some of the before mentioned warnings. Keep us posted how CC handles it.

Marylee pixiedust:
Pixiedustforever

I'd call AmEx and see if they'll not pay Custom Crops until you call them back and say you've received your merchandise. Or whatever AmEx recommends.

Wonder if the Better Business Bureau has records of online retailers. Just a thought.

So sorry this happened to you. I've never ordered from them because I read some of the before mentioned warnings. Keep us posted how CC handles it.

Marylee pixiedust:
Pixiedustforever

Thanks for your input, Marylee. I did consider not ordering from them after reading that disclaimer on their website, begging ebay customers not to post negative feedback. That's why I did a search to see if I could find any reports/threads on forums, such as this one, giving me some sort of confirmation. Unfortunately, after reading this particular thread where so many people (mostly back in March '08) said that they had no problems and received their orders promptly, I decided to go ahead with my order, LOL! :(

That's one of the reasons I wanted to be sure to post my experience here, so others are forewarned that it's not "always" safe to order from Custom Crops! ;)

I'm going to search the BBB to see if I can find anything...that's a great idea.

I think I'll give it until tomorrow, since that's the 'cut off" date I gave them in my email message. If I do not receive the package or my refund by then, I'll start the process of stopping that payment through American Express.

I'm also curious as to how ebay will handle my complaint. I would think they'd take immediate action since what Custom Crops is doing is in direct violation of ebay's rules and regulations. We are supposed to be "safe" from this kind of thing, so I hope they handle things appropriately and swiftly. Keep your fingers crossed for me and thanks again for your help! :thumbsup2

Custom Crops runs hot and cold. From what I have gathered is that there are 2 owners and when they run big sales or get loads of orders they start to get behind.

I would say that probably at least 80% of their feedback on the Cricut boards is positive. But like anything else on ebay, it's a crap shoot.

I have ordered from them many times, but I have never had an issue. All items came as stated and within a few days. :thumbsup2

As for your disaster, Amex is usually good about things like this, so I would defiantly recommend you call them ASAP and ask when they suggest.

I ordered the baby bug and 2 cartridges from them earlier this year and was very disappointed in their customer service. The order form said my order would ship within 2 weeks . . . well more than 4 weeks later I still didn't have it - but they charged my credit card! They are not supposed to charge your card until they ship the item. I e-mailed them during that time and after waiting a couple of days for a reply they finally wrote back that they were doing inventory and shipping was delayed. I would not have had any problem with that, if they'd just told me up-front that it would be longer than 2 weeks. I wouldn't order from them again unless it was a very, very good deal and I didn't need the item any time soon.

I've ordered from them twice. The first time through their website & got my order quickly. The second time about 2 mos. ago I got Paper Dolls cart on ebay & it took almost 3 wks. to get it. I emailed them & got a response AFTER I received it. I've heard good & bad. I guess if you don't need it right away -for the price I would use them.

I actually just sold my Cricut & am selling my carts.

Thanks for your feedback everyone! :thumbsup2

Well, UPS has come again today, delivered packages for my hubby and my daughter, but nothing for me. :sad: And, still no response from them to the email I sent them on Tuesday! :sad2:

I'm going to contact AmEx today and ask them to refund my account for the Cricut. I'm not as concerned about the $4.00 Sizzix set that's on backorder, but I want my Cricut and will just purchase it elsewhere as soon as I get my money back.

I'll keep you all posted; thanks again for your help.

Oh, BTW, ebay is of no help, believe it or not. They sent me a reply giving me a list of all my options...the first 3 of which I've already done. Also on that list is to "File a Complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3)", and "File a Report with the Law Enforcement Authorities". I was very surprised, and somewhat disappointed they did not deem it necessary to contact the seller themselves to rectify the situation. So much for buyers' being protected by ebay's rules and regulations, LOL! Oh well, I will handle it myself. ;)

I too had a somewhat bad experience with Custom Crops a few months ago. I won a Cricut bay from them via ebay, and in the title of the auction it said "fast shipping", and that was one of the things I was looking for. I had just got my Cricut a few weeks before and was off to a day at my LSS and wanted/needed a bag for my machine, cartridges, tools etc. It took them almost 4 weeks to get me the bag! I was so mad, I tried to contact them via email and phone with no response. I am glad I got it, and it was a good price, but I would think again about ordering from them. Hope everything works out for you!

I'm going to contact AmEx today and ask them to refund my account for the Cricut.

Did you pay with your Amex through paypal? If so, you can file a complaint through paypal and advise of the circumstances, etc. They will investigate and can then cancel the charges to your Amex (although I would also file the complaint with Amex).

Did you pay with your Amex through paypal? If so, you can file a complaint through paypal and advise of the circumstances, etc. They will investigate and can then cancel the charges to your Amex (although I would also file the complaint with Amex).

No, I didn't use PayPal; I paid directly with my AmEx on the Custom Crops website.

I decided to wait a few more days to see if they actually got around to responding to my message. I was about to give up and contact AmEx to arrange for the charge back when a new email message popped up on my screen.

It was another "shipping confirmation"...had the original UPS tracking number (from the 9/9 shipment) as well as a NEW tracking number, showing the 22nd as the shipping date...no further explanation as to why there were 2 tracking numbers, and no mention of my lengthy message to them.

I was infuriated and was responding to that shipping confirmation, saying "I cannot believe you are sending me yet another shipping confirmation when you never sent the product the first time, which was confirmed by the UPS representative I spoke with..."; then ANOTHER email from them popped up in my Inbox while I was typing. So, I got out of that composition and read the second email message; here's what they wrote:

Mary,

I am so sorry for all of the trouble that you have been through… I think that your package is lost, as it is still not tracking. I sent another package today. You should receive it within 2-3 days. Again, please accept our sincerest apologies. If you need the new tracking number, please let me know. We know that you have the ability to leave negative/neutral feedback and low star ratings. We would like to offer you a $10.00 gift card in exchange for positive feedback/five star ratings or no feedback at all…

Please let me know if this offer is acceptable…

Unfortunately for them, I had already left negative feedback on ebay on Monday afternoon, after UPS came to my house and once again delivered packages for both my DD and DH, but nothing for me. :sad1:

I'm not sure if that can be edited, but I won't even try to change my feedback until my Cricut machine, and the 2 correct carts are in my hands.

How do you guys think I should respond to this email they sent? I'm certainly not in any hurry to reply, since they probably won't read it for a week, anyway, LOL. ;)

They were going to PAY you to leave good or no feedback?! Is that even allowed? Are they not going to give you the credit since you have already left the negative?

I don't think I'd be doing a thing until I got my item in hand. And I don't think I would be using a credit with a company I didn't trust anymore. What could you possible buy for $10 except adhesive and do they even sell that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter