Whats the point of 'Community Board' forum?

Yes, as long as it's a topic that has no relevance to current events.
Well, it depends on the "current event" you want to talk about...

Daylight Savings Time: No problem
Oscars/Award Shows: No problem
"Big" (or small) sporting events: No problem
Natural Disasters (floods, fires, hurricanes): No problem
Celebrity Deaths: No problem (usually)
"Conflicts"/War?: Nope
Latest Shooting?: Nope
Cases going to Supreme Court: Nope

Well, it depends on the "current event" you want to talk about...

Daylight Savings Time: No problem
Oscars/Award Shows: No problem
"Big" (or small) sporting events: No problem
Natural Disasters (floods, fires, hurricanes): No problem
Celebrity Deaths: No problem (usually)
"Conflicts"/War?: Nope
Latest Shooting?: Nope
Cases going to Supreme Court: Nope
I would exclude natural disasters from that and I think you know why.

I would exclude natural disasters from that and I think you know why.
I think I know where you're going, but I don't remember threads getting shutdown regarding hurricanes, flooding, forest fires, etc.

All I know is that I like it here. I like the Community Board, the topics, and most of all I like the people. We're just the kids in detention shooting the breeze to pass the time. The world is rapidly going downhill-the CB is an escape for me. I discuss the deeper stuff here sometimes, but I enjoy the lighter threads precisely *because* they take me out of world events for a while.

From reading, as well as starting threads on this forum for many years, I would say that many, very many of the topics discussed here are relevant to current events.
Can you name one that hasn't been shut down? I don't see anything current on here that's relevant. You and I may have different opinions on what's relevant. The fluff threads are cute, but I wouldn't call them relevant.

All I know is that I like it here. I like the Community Board, the topics, and most of all I like the people. We're just the kids in detention shooting the breeze to pass the time. The world is rapidly going downhill-the CB is an escape for me. I discuss the deeper stuff here sometimes, but I enjoy the lighter threads precisely *because* they take me out of world events for a while.
That's fine, but there should be something for everyone. You don't have to read any thread you don't want too. I certainly don't. We should be able to discuss current events and the moderators should moderate the threads not just shut them down. I have participated in forums where they would ban posters from participating in a thread if they crossed the line, but they didn't shut down the whole thread.

You and I may have different opinions on what's relevant.
This is a big key as to whether a person enjoys this forum or not. If a person is always looking for relevancy, as defined by that person, then maybe this forum is not appropriate for that person. There is quite a bit of fluff, here for sure. And if people don't like fluff, well, there's always the door they came in, swings both ways. Over the past 24+ years here, I have seen a good number of complainers about the forum come, stay a while and then leave. And that's fine. Relevancy is important. I personally do not come here for a relevant visit. I come here to see a morning poll from another long time visitor. I come here to chit-chat with friends who've I've known for over 20 years now, and chit-chat with people who stopped by a few days ago, a few weeks ago. I, along with enough other people, enjoy the forum enough to stop by daily, every few days, weekly, maybe every few weeks. Some folks disappear and after many months, sometimes years, stop back and say hello. For some, that's it, they're gone again. Others, stay for awhile again.

The moderating here has loosened up a bit over the past few months after one of the previous owners left. From discussions I observed around that time, it seemed there was a consensus of a bit of heavy handedness in moderating. I was one, on this board, many years ago. I am familiar how it works. I have seen threads in the past few months go on and not be shut down that would have been 6 months ago. Those threads typically are more relevant, more timely, less fluff.

But, as said earlier, the entrance door does swing both ways.

This is a big key as to whether a person enjoys this forum or not. If a person is always looking for relevancy, as defined by that person, then maybe this forum is not appropriate for that person. There is quite a bit of fluff, here for sure. And if people don't like fluff, well, there's always the door they came in, swings both ways. Over the past 24+ years here, I have seen a good number of complainers about the forum come, stay a while and then leave. And that's fine. Relevancy is important. I personally do not come here for a relevant visit. I come here to see a morning poll from another long time visitor. I come here to chit-chat with friends who've I've known for over 20 years now, and chit-chat with people who stopped by a few days ago, a few weeks ago. I, along with enough other people, enjoy the forum enough to stop by daily, every few days, weekly, maybe every few weeks. Some folks disappear and after many months, sometimes years, stop back and say hello. For some, that's it, they're gone again. Others, stay for awhile again.

The moderating here has loosened up a bit over the past few months after one of the previous owners left. From discussions I observed around that time, it seemed there was a consensus of a bit of heavy handedness in moderating. I was one, on this board, many years ago. I am familiar how it works. I have seen threads in the past few months go on and not be shut down that would have been 6 months ago. Those threads typically are more relevant, more timely, less fluff.

Incredibly well said Dan!
You are the patriarch of The Community Board ❤️

My understanding was after the “change” that current events were going to be allowed to be discussed, as long as they stayed civil. Posters that are complaining about there being nothing of substance should stop complaining and start posting. Same as those in the it’s so slow crowd that never posts topics.

My understanding was after the “change” that current events were going to be allowed to be discussed, as long as they stayed civil. Posters that are complaining about there being nothing of substance should stop complaining and start posting. Same as those in the it’s so slow crowd that never posts topics.
I totally 💯% agree - I posted the same thing on another recent Community Board thread.

There's nothing wrong with the reasons why you come here. Those are all great reasons. It would be nice to see a little more variety.

There was a thread regarding the current situation in the Middle East that got removed and it was civil. There wouldn't be any point in starting another one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter