• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What's with all the construction?

Thanks everyone! We are staying at POP, and only plan to maybe do HS one afternoon/evening so I can ride star tours and DS can do TSMM. We haven't been to Disney in about 7 years!!:eek:

Thanks everyone! We are staying at POP, and only plan to maybe do HS one afternoon/evening so I can ride star tours and DS can do TSMM. We haven't been to Disney in about 7 years!!:eek:

With the road construction going on I think entry into DHS is even easier now than it has ever been (subject to change between now and September of course). They've built a new temporary ramp from Osceola Parkway right into the main entry plaza of DHS. There was not a ramp there previously. Just turn left out of Pop, turn right at the light onto Osceola Parkway, and take the first ramp to the right that you can take. That takes you right into DHS. There will likely be a temporary or electronic message board sign for this, and you'll likely have barrels or cones on either side of you, but it is not bad at all. Going to MK you would just take the very next ramp which is right after the DHS exit.

Not knowing when you were there last, you may find that it's changed again. The DHS turnoff was originally a spur off the exit to World Drive, now it's directly off Osceola Pkwy. I missed it the first time, and I know my way around WDW real well.

Yea I was last there around May 27th. When I took it it was right off world drive

Just got home tonight-- haven't been to WDW since 2013. The traffic was insane. We stayed offsite and used 535 to head to Disney (and Universal). Between the construction and the weather (lots of thunderstorms!) it took us an hour to get anywhere. Biggest issue was a flashing stoplight at International drive South and 535. I thought it went out due to thunderstorms Friday afternoon but it was still flashing this am. Mass chaos as people were just going thru intersection (which is 6 lanes) at all random times. I have never needed to plan for so much traffic at WDW before. Managed the construction around Disney easier than that!

All the road construction is just another reason why it's a nightmare to drive at Disney. So glad we fly now. Leave it to the bus drivers. Or Lyft/Uber drivers. I'll close my eyes and rest. That traffic is awful. Park/resort construction has nothing on the road construction.

Even as a local who has their car with them, the construction makes it such a pain to get around that I am more than happy to just park the car for the week and let Disney do the driving. For some reason, there seems to be a lot of road construction going on in Orlando in general right now (not counting the big, multi-year I-4 makeover). I currently have four detour/construction zones on my daily commute, and don't commute on I-4 or through Disney.

Just got back yesterday. There was a ton of construction. We drive there and take our car everywhere. The road construction wasn't bad though. Driving there is easy. So many signs. Plus gps helps

Stayed at carribean. THe construction did suck and that's why we shortened trip for no off days. It stil made it to the pool and did everything. Just wasn't the same.

All the road construction is just another reason why it's a nightmare to drive at Disney. So glad we fly now. Leave it to the bus drivers. Or Lyft/Uber drivers. I'll close my eyes and rest. That traffic is awful. Park/resort construction has nothing on the road construction.
LoL, even when we've driven (3x's) I leave my car parked at the resort....I am in the minority for sure, but I actually enjoy WDW transportation...Whether that be a long bus ride from AKV to MK or be it BWV to and from DAK or BB or such...Boats and monorail too

LoL, even when we've driven (3x's) I leave my car parked at the resort....I am in the minority for sure, but I actually enjoy WDW transportation...Whether that be a long bus ride from AKV to MK or be it BWV to and from DAK or BB or such...Boats and monorail too
We use the transportation time as part of our unwind time so I don't mind the long drives, even the waits are not so bad till they reach extremes, which are not norms, thankfully. I mean, sure, I can close my eyes in the car but DH can't since folks tend to frown on the driver closing their eyes. It's just nice to let go and let someone else deal with it all for a few days. We live in a place where we have to drive to go anywhere, nothing is in walking distance of our house. It gets old sometimes.

We use the transportation time as part of our unwind time so I don't mind the long drives, even the waits are not so bad till they reach extremes, which are not norms, thankfully. I mean, sure, I can close my eyes in the car but DH can't since folks tend to frown on the driver closing their eyes. It's just nice to let go and let someone else deal with it all for a few days. We live in a place where we have to drive to go anywhere, nothing is in walking distance of our house. It gets old sometimes.
too funny...
This is what I've been saying for years!!

This is how DH feels. He does the driving on vacation and not having to drive at WDW is a big plus for him. I like for him to relax and not have to have the driving stress.

I am in the minority for sure, but I actually enjoy WDW transportation.
I can assure you that you're not in the minority. It's just that people who are not fans and have had issues with WDW transportation make it known and those who are fine with it, which is the majority, don't because they're experiencing what's expected. Why would anyone post, the wait was what we expected and the bus got us there in a reasonable amount of time and the driver was a handsome son of a gun. OK, I made up that last part.

I can assure you that you're not in the minority. It's just that people who are not fans and have had issues with WDW transportation make it known and those who are fine with it, which is the majority, don't because they're experiencing what's expected. Why would anyone post, the wait was what we expected and the bus got us there in a reasonable amount of time and the driver was a handsome son of a gun. OK, I made up that last part.

I see what you did there. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter