What's your feeling about getting a medal without finishing Princess?

VAfamily1998 said:
I had seriously considered running the princess half for 2013, but didn't make up my mind in time and it was sold out when I finally decided to do it.

I have NEVER run any race before, not even a 5k.

For the last 3 years, I have been running at least one 10+ mile run each week. I average about a 9:30-10:00 mile pace for those runs.

I really want my first race ever to be a Disney race, so now I will be running the TOT 10 miler in October...and I think I might sign up for the Princess 1/2 for 2014--we'll see when the registration actually opens. It's more about the cost, not the distance of the race, to be honest.

Anyway, if I hadn't been so wishy washy and did register for the 2013 Princess 1/2, I know I would have been able to complete it--but I wouldn't have had proof of having run a 10k.

I seriously urge you to do a 10k before doing any Disney race. At a 9:30 mile, you'd be an A corral runner. Without a proof of time, you'll end up in a back corral not being able to run. You'll have to dodge walkers the entire race and end up really disliking Disney races.

I think that if you want to participate in the full, you need to have proof that you've finished a half. If you want to run the half marathon, you should have proof that you've completed a 10k. It makes sense to me that you should have to prove that you are unable to complete a certain distance.

When I signed up for the PHM, I couldn't even run a mile. I didn't submit a 10K proof of time because I was in the ER the day of my 10K. I did end up doing a 10K 2 weeks before the PHM, but I was already in the right corral for me. I might have been able to move up from corral D to C, but with the heat, I stayed put. I even registered for my first full marathon before I'd competed in a 10k or half marathon race. I would have registered for the DDD before completing a 10K if it hadn't sold out so quickly. Just because I signed up early for my bigger races doesn't mean I'm not training. Just because I can't finish 26.2 miles today, even though I'm registered, doesn't mean I won't be able to 10 months from now, when the race actually is.

By the way, if I just have to prove I'm unable to complete a certain distance, then I might as well sign up for a full ironman. I'm certainly unable to complete it. :rotfl:

I think you misread... She ran all BUT the last 3 miles. Meaning she ran 10 miles. She was very certain she'd finish, but an injury sidelined her just after MM10.
Did I? I could have sworn that I read that the first time I read through it seemed like there was no intention whatsoever of going past the 2-mile mark...see the second bolded portion below. That's what doesn't sit right with me.
I think there is a lot of confusion and people reading into things that aren't there going on. No one is telling people not to try. No one is saying that making it to 10 miles isn't an accomplishment. But, if the "WISH" way is to reward everyone who starts, even if they are completely and dangerously unprepared, then perhaps I am not suited for the WISH boards.

To be clear, I am fine with people trying who know that they may not keep pace. People who are just starting out, have done a 5k and a 10k, and know that their pace is just at or above 16 minutes, but hey, maybe the adrenaline will pull them through! As long as they have trained up to 10ish miles, then it isn't dangerous for them to try, and more power to them. I hope they succeed. My issue is with those who DON'T TRAIN!!!! The woman in the blog, while she has since learned her lesson and has been putting the miles in, tried her first half when she had no business being out there. I think in retrospect she knows that.

My main concern is not people diminishing my medal. My concern is people getting hurt. People have died attempting marathons, and it is not something to be taken lightly. THAT is what diminishes the accomplishment for the rest of us, not just taking the medal. When people don't respect the distance, they don't respect those of us who do the distance!!!

And seriously, if encouraging people to start even if they are untrained is the "WISH way", then get me out of here! I am not going to take part in encouraging people to do something stupid and get hurt! I am fine with newbie runners. We all started somewhere. But let them start with a 5k, move up to 10k, and THEN sign up for the half marathon. They are not special and cannot just skip over the necessary steps.

Okay, rant over.

ETA: This is also not about size, shape, gender, height, etc. Just about training. If you don't train, you shouldn't be out there, regardless of your body size. If you want to experience a Disney run, but don't want to put in the time and effort, do the 5k.
:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2
YES to all of this. Especially about how people seem to now be questioning the WISH philosophy. I'm newer here and don't post a ton, but if this is a section that encourages being unprepared - to the point of it being dangerous, because yes, it CAN be dangerous - but says that it's okay as long as you start, and discourages discussion and expressing opposing viewpoints in a respectful way (because I also agree that this thread has been pretty tame even though I don't agree with a lot that's being said here)...then yeah, I'll be posting here less and less.
I haven't read thru all the pages of responses to the OP, but here's my 2 cents: I joined my first training group in January here in MI and have not missed a single run. Granted I am only training for my first 5K, BUT I am a "big girl" that a few of the other posters seem to have a probelm with, and I have never really ran before, so I had to start somewhere, right? but I digress. My goal is to run the DPH in Feb 2014 and plan to do all the recommended training. In fact, I start training for a 10K next week. I don't understand why or how anyone would pay that kind of money to sign up for a half and not train. 13 miles is a LONG way for anyone.

I currently run a slow 13mm and it ain't pretty, but I am out there, and I'd like to ask any of you if you know how it feels to get out there and be the size I am? (I'm about 195lbs and about 5'5") I fully realize my pace coupled with photo ops would likely put me over the 3:30 time limit therefore, I was going in to this not expecting a medal, at least not this time. But if they gave me a medal as I ran or walked my fat *ss over the finish line, you bet your sweet bippy I'd take it and I dare you to tell me I didn't earn it or deserve it-even with an asterisk* of DNF in-time. As write this to all of you, I have tears running down my face because of all places, I felt like the DPH would be a great place to run what could be my first HM, but now I am terrified that I will be being judged the whole time.

And FYI, I am not a proponent of the "we all win" mentality, but everyone's circumstances are different and people have to live with themselves and their decisions to wear/accept a medal.
I started running in 2008 when I was 24...I'm 5'5" and was almost 180 pounds at the time. I had one ill-fated attempt at running track my junior year of high school, but other than that I was completely new to running. So I guess I do know how it feels to, as you say, get my "fat *ss" out there on a race course.

I'm going to echo the PP here and say that I really don't think you, and other runners like you, are who people take issue with. You have almost a year to train...I bet you will surprise yourself. Good luck on your upcoming races! :goodvibes

If someone signs up for a longer Disney race knowing full well that they won't finish the distance and plans on running the first mile or so before getting swept and THEN accepts the finisher medal...then yes, I have a problem with that. But that doesn't sound like what you're doing - you've signed up for the race and committed to training for it. You're setting reasonable goals along the way by conquering a 5K and a 10K beforehand, and the experience of finishing those races will really help you a lot during the half. I think the way you're doing it is really smart. Kudos to you!
I must have missed something somewhere along the way.
What I did see was one person that jumped into this thread and made an uncalled for, truly nasty comment - but unless that post was modified or removed, I didn't see that it was directed specifically at any one person. Many jumped right in and told that person to knock it off. Thank goodness, that person hasn't been back.

Can we all just let that go? This keeps getting brought up with what seems to be an attempt to stir a pot that just isn't/wasn't there. The vast majority of this thread has been nothing but calm opinions - on both sides. Opinions are not attacks - and quite honestly, I think they seem to have been said quite nicely, with common sense, and at the same time being supportive of any/all runners, walkers, and runner/walkers. Those opinions may not always agree with mine, but I'm willing to read them without calling for the thread to be closed. Everyone's got opinions that's for sure.

Personally, I like to see other people's viewpoints - one has the opportunity to see things from another angle and quite possibly learn something new from that perspective. I know I have. :)
I know this phrase is over-used...but well said. :thumbsup2

Did I? I could have sworn that I read that the first time I read through it seemed like there was no intention whatsoever of going past the 2-mile mark...see the second bolded portion below. That's what doesn't sit right with me.

The original race she wanted to try it, the second race she made a solid effort and got all but the last 2 or 3 miles due to an injury. The first race was for fun and she was embarrassed by her showing, the second one she worked hard to compete in.

Regardless, I think her story is a great one, even with the first race being a disaster.

As for the philosophy of the forum, from what I see it's:

"Dead Last Finish is better than Did Not Finish which greatly trumps Did Not Start, WISH gave me the courage to start."

So while I don't think that anybody is saying you should put yourself in harm's way, it seems the philosophy is to support/reward those who try, regardless of if they finish, come in first, come in last, or break the new land speed record. It's a good philosophy and I'm sorry it makes some feel like they can't participate, but the goal to encourage others is a laudable one.

So reading this thread has me thinking. I am doing a 1/2 this May in Fargo. Should I try and get my time to be close to 2 hours (My average time is 2:15)so I can be in the "front" of the pack so I don't have to trip on people? Or are there walkers in the front too?

Sorry it was off topic.

I feel like the majority here about the medals. I have done 8 1/2 marathons and each one you didn't get a medal if you didn't finish. There is one that you don't even get your shirt either. On the back it has finisher on it. Maybe Disney should do that. For all those that finish, get a finisher t-shirt and medal and those that get swept, get a t-shirt but it doesn't say finisher on it.

So reading this thread has me thinking. I am doing a 1/2 this May in Fargo. Should I try and get my time to be close to 2 hours (My average time is 2:15)so I can be in the "front" of the pack so I don't have to trip on people? Or are there walkers in the front too?

I was at a 2:18 pace in my training. I didn't have an official time to submit so I ended up in an E corral and ended up finishing 2:49 because I never was able to get enough room to run at my normal pace due to crowding.

I would definitely submit a time to get up front if you care about your finish time.

looking at others pictures from race reports and such..it looked like there was soo much more room to run in the a, b, c corrals.

JCH said:
I seriously urge you to do a 10k before doing any Disney race. At a 9:30 mile, you'd be an A corral runner. Without a proof of time, you'll end up in a back corral not being able to run. You'll have to dodge walkers the entire race and end up really disliking Disney races.

That's not entirely true. I turned in a 3:52 full marathon time (8:50 pace) and was only corral B.

joanzie72 said:

There are walkers, fast runners, and slow runners in every corral. It's just something you have to deal with at Disney thanks to a narrow course and too many entrants.

That's not entirely true. I turned in a 3:52 full marathon time (8:50 pace) and was only corral B.

That's true. I was just looking at the Princess corrals, so for some of the others, it may be B. But needing proof so you aren't in the back still applies! :)

"Dead Last Finish is better than Did Not Finish which greatly trumps Did Not Start, WISH gave me the courage to start."

THIS... is why I attempted the 5K on Castaway Cay last week. Unfortunately by the time we got off the ship, down to the start line and then to the bike path my calves were screaming and burning like they were going to just rip apart. I was asked by the CM to just wait until I could go again... I did, rather than risk injury... I waited for my buddy to do the bike loop and down to Serenity Bay and when she started on the second bike loop I went with her, then back to the ship for me. I did almost 1/2 the 5k which was more than I have ever done before. I am a biker not a runner/jogger/walker. I did receive the "medal" in my room for participating, and have it hanging up, I did write 2k on it, and looking at it makes me remember that I did have the courage to attempt it, when I could have just stayed in bed, then went straight to eat and hit the beach for the day. In the mean time, I did hit the hot tub after getting back to the ship, then swam laps for 30 minutes in the empty pool since everyone was at the beach. Would I do it again... not sure, but I tried.

Related thought on the finisher medal. I know there will be disagreement from some on my statement and that is ok. I hope my words do come off as respectful despite disagreement.

Its been said in multiple posts that another person who received a finisher medal after not finishing does not diminish my medal. I disagree. I feel it does. diminish my medal. Let me explain. Does it diminish how I feel about my completion of the marathon? No. However, I feel that it diminishes how Disney feels about my completion of the marathon. Is it a big deal or a deal breaker. My opinion does not have to be all or nothing. I am still running the marathon. And in reality, I probably wont give a second thought to a nonfinisher getting a medal. That said, achievement always is more important the more selective and harder it is to obtain it. I felt this way when I received my Eagle medal in Boy scouts, when I received an 'A' in a course that was not graded leniently, and so forth.

Also, I have not read that philosophy statement before. I really like it, and I will have to memorize it. However, I believe trying begins in the training. Entering a long distance race unprepared is not trying in my opinion. (This being different than a person unable to finish due to injury or illness)

I will also say these boards are helping me to keep motivated in my training.

What I meant to say was you need proof that you can finish that length of a run. I could understand why someone would want Disney to be their first official half marathon or 10 miler. Most of us use a runkeeper or nike+ or some way to track distance, maybe we could upload information from those apps as official proof.

However, I believe trying begins in the training. Entering a long distance race unprepared is not trying in my opinion. (This being different than a person unable to finish due to injury or illness)

I agree with you 100%.

What I meant to say was you need proof that you can finish that length of a run. I could understand why someone would want Disney to be their first official half marathon or 10 miler. Most of us use a runkeeper or nike+ or some way to track distance, maybe we could upload information from those apps as official proof.

While this sounds like a good idea, it would be very easy for someone to cheat the system to get a better placement or to prove they can go the distance.
My DH and I only own one Garmin Forerunner, he runs in the mornings and I run in the evenings so it isn’t as issue with us. We have our profile set-up as our last name. How could Disney stop me from submitting his run data as my own? Or how could Disney stop me from handing my phone with runkeeper/nike+ to a runner friend to record a run that I would then submit? I just don’t see how Disney could verify all of this; they have enough problems keeping track of proof of times based off of races. For the Disney Marathon in 2012, DH submitted a 75 min ½ marathon time from the Philly Marathon. When we went to pack pick-up, he was only 1 corral up from me. We went to the solutions desk and they discovered that someone else with a similar name ran a race somewhere in the Midwest that race result overruled his previously submitted race data. They were able to correct it but it made me wonder how often that type of thing happens (either way-getting bumped up or down corrals based on someone else’s race time)

Marathon weekend back in January

That's funny, I was assigned to B as well, and I wanted to get into A. My only full (at that point) was a 3:56, and the lady at runner relations said that wasn't fast enough. Luckily, I'd just gotten a 1:44 in a half, and that was enough to get me into A, which was nice - I'm terrible about waiting! ;-)

While this sounds like a good idea, it would be very easy for someone to cheat the system to get a better placement or to prove they can go the distance.
My DH and I only own one Garmin Forerunner, he runs in the mornings and I run in the evenings so it isn’t as issue with us. We have our profile set-up as our last name. How could Disney stop me from submitting his run data as my own? Or how could Disney stop me from handing my phone with runkeeper/nike+ to a runner friend to record a run that I would then submit? I just don’t see how Disney could verify all of this; they have enough problems keeping track of proof of times based off of races. For the Disney Marathon in 2012, DH submitted a 75 min ½ marathon time from the Philly Marathon. When we went to pack pick-up, he was only 1 corral up from me. We went to the solutions desk and they discovered that someone else with a similar name ran a race somewhere in the Midwest that race result overruled his previously submitted race data. They were able to correct it but it made me wonder how often that type of thing happens (either way-getting bumped up or down corrals based on someone else’s race time)

I didn't think a RunKeeper result was proof. I thought it had to be official race results from a timed race.

However, I believe trying begins in the training. Entering a long distance race unprepared is not trying in my opinion. (This being different than a person unable to finish due to injury or illness)

Absolutely. I always try to remind myself a quote by Juma Ikangaa, a past NYC Marathon winner who said "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." OK, I'm never going to WIN a marathon, but I'm definitely going to finish any that I enter, because I'm going to show up at the starting line fit, trained, and ready. 90% of a distance race is accomplished in the preparation and training, not in the race itself, and if a runner didn't prepare, then they have to question their own effort. Running a marathon isn't actually all that hard IF you're actually willing to put in the effort to prepare yourself. If you fully invest in proper training, you won't have to worry about being a DNF (except for a freak injury or illness - unfortunately, luck still plays a role).

But, those devices are far from accurate and there is no way they can be official. There is a reason that times have to be official. They have standards, and requirements to get that designation. I think you are trying to turn Disney into an elite race, which Disney is not about that. Many people, like me, choose Disney as our first place to run a race based on the atmosphere. If that is motivation for someone to get off their butts, train and run, then so be it. But, outside of Boston, there are few races that require proof of time. But, even then, you can pretty much buy your way into any race now.

We can only hope that with the Jeff Galloway plans being posted that all runners who register will be prepared. But, as far as everyone being placed where they need to be (according to others), it isn't going to happen. So, the best thing to do is accept the way that Disney does things, and if we don't agree with it, choose from the many more races out there. There are so many great ones!

mickeysgal said:
I didn't think a RunKeeper result was proof. I thought it had to be official race results from a timed race.

It is not proof, someone else suggested that maybe it could be used as proof that you have done longer runs. I was pointing out that it would be flawed if they used it. Currently, only official timed race results are used.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter