When do you realistically think ABD will start operating again?

Just bringing this thread back up to the top to see if anyone knows whether land-based adventures are resuming soon?
A few here and there, mostly domestic, but a few international. But nothing consistent yet.
Does anyone know what ABD's current policy is for what happens if someone tests positive on the trip before their return flight and cannot fly back to the US? Do they just leave you there to do your quarantine + you're on your own to rebook flights home? I should call and ask when I get time...
This possibility is one of the things currently keeping me from booking anything international.

Sayhello

Last edited:
You know there are more International Travel Co.out there ..... IF you wish to travel to Europe

You might have to make your way to Europe to start But ask anyway,

Look up Trailfinders Phone Cork Office ( Ireland ) + 353 21 464 8800
Dublin + 353 1 677 7888

Travel via Ireland which ( as you All Know ) is still in the EU. ( Europe )
So all prices will be in Euros €

Going through U.K ( London ) PRICES will be in Pounds Sterling and is Outside the E.U.

Does anyone know what ABD's current policy is for what happens if someone tests positive on the trip before their return flight and cannot fly back to the US? Do they just leave you there to do your quarantine + you're on your own to rebook flights home? I should call and ask when I get time...
I don't know ABD's official policy, but when we were in Spain and Portugal in September we were told if you test positive you are at the mercy of that country's government. So whatever their quarantine and COVID rules are, you must follow. At this time, you must have a negative COVID test to return to the US. If one of us had tested positive, we would have had to quarantine at our hotel (costly) for 10 days and then present a negative COVID test after that in order to be able to return to the US. It stressed me out (packed extra meds etc. just in case) but it ended up being totally worth the risk. I might say otherwise if one of us had tested positive.

We booked our air on our own (not through out travel company), so I am sure we would have had to rebook our own flights after testing negative.

I don't know ABD's official policy, but when we were in Spain and Portugal in September we were told if you test positive you are at the mercy of that country's government. So whatever their quarantine and COVID rules are, you must follow. At this time, you must have a negative COVID test to return to the US. If one of us had tested positive, we would have had to quarantine at our hotel (costly) for 10 days and then present a negative COVID test after that in order to be able to return to the US. It stressed me out (packed extra meds etc. just in case) but it ended up being totally worth the risk. I might say otherwise if one of us had tested positive.

We booked our air on our own (not through out travel company), so I am sure we would have had to rebook our own flights after testing negative.

Would travel insurance help in the case of having to be quarantined or does it really depend on the country? I have been trying to figure this out but with each country having their own rules it is very confusing.

Would travel insurance help in the case of having to be quarantined or does it really depend on the country? I have been trying to figure this out but with each country having their own rules it is very confusing.
It depends on the policy. If you buy a policy where COVID-19 is covered as an illness (more and more do this) then they should cover it like any illness/interrupted trip. Which in most cases means they'd cover re-booking your flight home, and any medical/housing expenses while you are sick/recovering. Although there might be a daily maximum covered, and perhaps a max number of days. But I would definitely start with one of the insurance sites like insure my trip and call them, and walk through all the policies and what they do and don't cover. It REALLY depends on not only the insurance company, but the individual policies as to how they handle it.

But travel insurance will not help you get out of any of it. It will, if you get the right policy, pay for the expenses, and if the policy has a concierge service (MANY do) then they can hopefully help you navigate setting everything up. But that also depends on the country's requirements (some countries have very specific requirements for quarantine). Insurance can't change any of that.

Sayhello

It depends on the policy. If you buy a policy where COVID-19 is covered as an illness (more and more do this) then they should cover it like any illness/interrupted trip. Which in most cases means they'd cover re-booking your flight home, and any medical/housing expenses while you are sick/recovering. Although there might be a daily maximum covered, and perhaps a max number of days. But I would definitely start with one of the insurance sites like insure my trip and call them, and walk through all the policies and what they do and don't cover. It REALLY depends on not only the insurance company, but the individual policies as to how they handle it.

But travel insurance will not help you get out of any of it. It will, if you get the right policy, pay for the expenses, and if the policy has a concierge service (MANY do) then they can hopefully help you navigate setting everything up. But that also depends on the country's requirements (some countries have very specific requirements for quarantine). Insurance can't change any of that.

Sayhello
Exactly! We did have travel insurance that covered COVID and quarantine plus trip interruption, etc. However, the amount per day was very low ($100/day for quarantine), so you do really need to know the specifics of your policy. My husband did have a dental issue in Spain which would have been fully covered. Thankfully, he was able to wait until we got home (he really wanted to go to his own dentist), but it is always a good idea to have travel insurance.

Exactly! We did have travel insurance that covered COVID and quarantine plus trip interruption, etc. However, the amount per day was very low ($100/day for quarantine), so you do really need to know the specifics of your policy. My husband did have a dental issue in Spain which would have been fully covered. Thankfully, he was able to wait until we got home (he really wanted to go to his own dentist), but it is always a good idea to have travel insurance.
I couldn't agree more!

Sayhello

So I read on fb that the Jan 26 South Africa trip has been cancelled. Can't say I'm surprised at this point. :(

Sayhello
South Africa has been upgraded to Level 4 -do not travel- by the state department and ABD will not travel to Level 4 countries.

Egypt is currently at Level 3. Our Egypt ABD is in February 2022. Just booked our air through ABD so at least we will get refunded should they cancel. It is really hard to get excited for a trip these days when there is no certainty it will really happen.

Yes - as much as we all want to get back to international travel, it seems like the current state of things only allows for international travel if your family has a ton of flexibility and patience
And nerves of steel!

South Africa has been upgraded to Level 4 -do not travel- by the state department and ABD will not travel to Level 4 countries.

Egypt is currently at Level 3. Our Egypt ABD is in February 2022. Just booked our air through ABD so at least we will get refunded should they cancel. It is really hard to get excited for a trip these days when there is no certainty it will really happen.
It *is* hard to get excited, and honestly, for me, it's hard to even book. I recently retired, and I was supposed to be traveling *more* now. It's really sad for me that I barely feel comfortable traveling domestically. And it's just as much from the uncertainty as it is from any COVID fears. I know it's first world problems, but it's still a disappointment, and a loss of a big part of who I am.

Sayhello

And nerves of steel!

It *is* hard to get excited, and honestly, for me, it's hard to even book. I recently retired, and I was supposed to be traveling *more* now. It's really sad for me that I barely feel comfortable traveling domestically. And it's just as much from the uncertainty as it is from any COVID fears. I know it's first world problems, but it's still a disappointment, and a loss of a big part of who I am.

Sayhello
I completely resonate with this! We retired in 2020 so we could travel. I guess the joke is on us! Not a funny one, though.

I get it. I love everything about travel (from the day we book, to all the planning and anticipation, taking the trip, sharing our love of travel with friends, making travel photo books, dreaming of where to go next, the whole process). We don't value "stuff" as much as we value our memories and experiences. I am worried that the travel process has been changed forever much like after 911. Hopefully, you will be able to resume your international travels soon!

And nerves of steel!

Sayhello
I completely resonate with this! We retired in 2020 so we could travel. I guess the joke is on us! Not a funny one, though.

I get it. I love everything about travel (from the day we book, to all the planning and anticipation, taking the trip, sharing our love of travel with friends, making travel photo books, dreaming of where to go next, the whole process). We don't value "stuff" as much as we value our memories and experiences. I am worried that the travel process has been changed forever much like after 911. Hopefully, you will be able to resume your international travels soon!
Totally agree with you both. As another recent retiree who worked to be able to buy plane tickets (I’ve had this magnet on my fridge “forever” as a reminder of my reward for working all those years) it does take a a lot of adjustment to today’s new travel normal of more uncertainty and less overall anticipation excitement to minimize possible disappointment if something cancels.

i seem to be giving up the joys of long-range anticipation and planning for what feels more like last minute trips (to me, anyway) that I’m more certain or confident will happen but scramble more to pull together. The trade-off is starting some travels again that are trips I feel safe in taking. It has only been two non-family visit trips thus far this year, but it’s baby steps towards getting out into the world again. And mentally that is a wonderful feeling! I still have many trips I want to take but don’t feel comfortable booking yet.

F3D50EC5-1BEC-4001-88B8-FBA96D7A3CC7.jpeg

Totally agree with you both. As another recent retiree who worked to be able to buy plane tickets (I’ve had this magnet on my fridge “forever” as a reminder of my reward for working all those years) it does take a a lot of adjustment to today’s new travel normal of more uncertainty and less overall anticipation excitement to minimize possible disappointment if something cancels.

i seem to be giving up the joys of long-range anticipation and planning for what feels more like last minute trips (to me, anyway) that I’m more certain or confident will happen but scramble more to pull together. The trade-off is starting some travels again that are trips I feel safe in taking. It has only been two non-family visit trips thus far this year, but it’s baby steps towards getting out into the world again. And mentally that is a wonderful feeling! I still have many trips I want to take but don’t feel comfortable booking yet.

View attachment 626596
Exactly! So far, I've managed one trip. I'm toying with a second trip, but just not sure where or when. Probably not until after the holidays, early 2022, most likely. And yes, probably pretty last-minute plans. We shall see. I get so jealous of people I see traveling, and start to think about planning a trip, but when I get to the actual details of it, I'm just not ready yet. We shall see! Hopefully I feel more courageous soon!

I love everything about travel too [except for a) packing, b) getting to the airport and c) plane travel - all necessary evils to be able to enjoy the rest of travel!] I rarely buy myself things for my Birthday, but will totally buy myself a trip! Or two! I know I did not feel comfortable on the flights to Las Vegas/back from Albuquerque. But I *was* able to tolerate them. It's just going to take me a while to work myself back up to doing it again.

Sayhello

Last edited:

We’ve got our airfare for Egypt as well, and planning to PIF (despite my anxiety lol). I was originally so optimistic about this trip after the October trips went, but now I’m wondering if we’ll end up cancelled again. Guess we’ll just have to wait and find out!

Also, this reminded me - does anyone know if ABD's decisions are driven by "Level 4" per the State Department or the CDC's covid advisory levels? Or perhaps both/either?

Also, this reminded me - does anyone know if ABD's decisions are driven by "Level 4" per the State Department or the CDC's covid advisory levels? Or perhaps both/either?
As far as I know, it's the State Department's travel advisory levels. Does the CDC do advisory levels?

Sayhello

As far as I know, it's the State Department's travel advisory levels. Does the CDC do advisory levels?

Sayhello

They do! Although it's really more of a recommendation that's specifically related to the destination's covid levels. (e.g., Egypt was at Level 2 for kind of a long time on this list, but went up to level 3 around a month ago IIRC)

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/noticescovid19
There seems to be some strong overlap between that Level 4 list and the State Department's list, although I haven't gone and systematically checked to see if every CDC Level 4 is on the State Department's Level 4 too.

Sayhello

I think it's possible to be thankful for everything you have and also be dissapointed and a little bit upset that COVID has forced you to change or rethink your travel plans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter