Where do you think DVC resale prices are headed?

I considered buying a resale AKV contract at the end of last year and even put a few offers out but they were still selling so high that my offers were too low. Now I'm glad. I've posted a lot about it on the ME thread in Theme Park Strategies, but if I'm looking at a contract as a 30 year investment, I want to know that WDW is still a place that cares about guests. I can't presume I'll always be as mobile as I am now, or that my mom, who has always accompanied us on trips, will be either. They've already reinstated executive pay cuts but axed a program that helped families with smalls kids, elderly or disabled guests, single women traveling alone, and foreign visitors feel welcomed and safe. Not to mention the ME greeters have always been some of my favorite CMs, always offering the little ones a high five to start their trip and a sticker. If the issue is Mears then WDW should start its own service and announce that they are doing so. They charge $900 for some nights for standard view at the Poly, for heaven's sake. A 100 pt contract at Riviera is over $18,000 not including dues. I can't imagine what they are planning to do to the point charts in 2023 and beyond, but I suspect that the trend of devaluing what you get for your money will continue.
Wow. $18,000 buy in plus maintenance dues for what amounts to air. Holy Toledo. It's safe to say the middle class are being pushed aside.

Effectively that’s what’s happening. Mears (who operates DME) immediately announced they would continue to provide service between WDW and MCO.

They currently charge $40 per adult and $30 per child for their Universal service.
That's one way? Family of 5 - we're out. You can get a decent sized rental car for < $50/day and you'd be able to make runs to the grocery store to stock the unit. Add to that, you would be on your own schedule - no waiting for buses of any kind. Honestly LOVED DME and being in the bubble when you step foot off the airplane, but looks like our '21 trip will be the last doing that.

Effectively that’s what’s happening. Mears (who operates DME) immediately announced they would continue to provide service between WDW and MCO.

They currently charge $40 per adult and $30 per child for their Universal service.
That's one way? Family of 5 - we're out. You can get a decent sized rental car for < $50/day and you'd be able to make runs to the grocery store to stock the unit. Add to that, you would be on your own schedule - no waiting for buses of any kind.
That’s round trip with taxes. But we always rent a car because we want that freedom anyway.

That’s round trip with taxes. But we always rent a car because we want that freedom anyway.
And I just looked and they’ve updated their site (or maybe it was always there? I don’t remember seeing it before) with Airport to WDW prices -$30 kids, $39 adult, that’s round trip, PLUS taxes.

And I just looked and they’ve updated their site (or maybe it was always there? I don’t remember seeing it before) with Airport to WDW prices -$30 kids, $39 adult, that’s round trip, PLUS taxes.
Oh - that's comparable to renting a car then (maybe a little cheaper). I think I'd still opt for the car. Grocery delivery ain't all that - and it's pricey. being able to run by a real grocery store would be worth it. With limited bus seating we found ourselves ordering a Lyft a couple of times too.

Oh - that's comparable to renting a car then (maybe a little cheaper). I think I'd still opt for the car. Grocery delivery ain't all that - and it's pricey. being able to run by a real grocery store would be worth it. With limited bus seating we found ourselves ordering a Lyft a couple of times too.
Last time we went and my kid wound up needing to go to the doctor and while Disney offered a ride on their dime (we were at Kidani and the staff there was phenomenal at helping us deal with a suddenly severely ill child), I’m so glad we had a car. We went to the pharmacy after, went and got pedialyte, etc. I’m team car if I have the kids.

My DH and I have wanted to own DVC since around 1999. We finally bought in 2019, twenty years later! We have spent so much money at Disney over those 20 years, that I regret not buying sooner, but we were not in a position to financially do so, and the math just didn't make sense in my head.

We also have THE WORST LUCK in the world. It's a running joke in our family that Murphy (as in Murphy's Law) is the House Guest That Won't Go Away.

So naturally my DH is all "We bought into DVC, and now look what happened!" ;-) Seriously, though, I feel like we finally obtained our dream, and it feels like it's being pulled away from us. We love Disney, but what we love about Disney is that escapism: the immersive, over-the-top theming, the friendliness of the cast members, the entertainment and shows, all the little perks and things that make it seamless, easy, and enjoyable. We've watched over the years as one thing after another went from "free" to "pay for" and while we both desperately hope that this is just "because of Covid" and will return to "normal" in 2-3 years, we also worry that we just spent a significant amount of money on DVC only for it to stop being the Disney we love so much. :(
Thanks for articulating exactly what I was thinking! We've been adding on rapidly as well, looking forward to long, leisurely retirement trips in the near future. It is just sad and the magic is disappearing. We toyed with the idea of buying another RV or a small condo in FL but decided to add on at DVC instead. After 26 years of DVC, I'm wondering if we did the right thing?

My very first direct add on I got a tote bag. When I did a couple additional add on's they had apparently decided those things were too expensive - nada, not even a pen. :rolleyes:
If DVC was smart they'd send you a tote bag for every add-on above 50 points AND ask you for address of someone who might love DVC too, so they can send them one too.

If DVC was smart they'd send you a tote bag for every add-on above 50 points AND ask you for address of someone who might love DVC too, so they can send them one too.
Same here bought VGF direct as soon as they went on sale to members and I asked my guide if they were giving any merchandise with the purchase like they do when you buy on a cruise and he said nope 😂

Cheap. Hey I spent 15 minutes with my AAA insurance agent and I got a nice heavy duty totes bag.

Wow. $18,000 buy in plus maintenance dues for what amounts to air. Holy Toledo. It's safe to say the middle class are being pushed aside.

OTOH, calculating buy-in and dues, I've been paying about $130 / night for Boardwalk. Sooooo.....

Lots to be pissed about right now, but in the end, most of us are still getting a good discount on rooms.

I'd say the hard part for us middle class is the upfront chunk of change. However, assuming someone is already making an annual WDW trip, one could forego their vacation for a couple of years and it wouldn't be too hard to come up with.

Choices.

I agree on Fanofthegame's opinon of the dvc bag.

The bag is very cheap- even cheap looking. Using it to store the Disney paperwork stuff, like the deeds, dues, etc. All of a sudden, it began to burst at the seams! I'd better empty it by only using it for my annual passes... Hence, it is empty.

DVC tracking 2021

Below is my tracking for Jan 2021

The methodology is somewhat different for what did in March through August 2020

I have included contracts that have had their price changes included so the separate report for that is discontinued.

I am also going to begin tracking the number active contracts for each resort at the end of each month also as well as the change from the previous month.

Fidelity changed their site, so January data from them is somewhat suspect, this should resolve in February.

As a reminder this data only represents 5 sites that can be tracked for listing time sequence

I also do not track RIV or VGC due to the thin market

I am also going to add some commentary at the bottom when I see something notable.

The format will be this months average, change from previous month the number of contacts listed or changed (or in the case of the January report from last August, the number of active contracts at the end of the month and on the February report the change in active contracts

Resort, Average list, change, count, change, active,

AKV 119 -3 77 -7 35

AUL 105 +5 40 +14 18

BLT 159 +6 40 +1 27

BCV 152 -2 41 +19 29

BWV 132 +4 44 +31 31

BRV 113 +3 23 -2 13

CCV 155 0 34 +8 53

VGF 182 +6 40 +6 19

HH 81 +3 24 -5 46

OKW 105 +2 74 +8 55

Poly 155 +2 70 +22 78

SSR 114 +8 98 -36 59

VB 76 +6 46 -16 46

I have not seen a large increase in contracts for sale, but I have noticed that a lot of contracts with DVC Resale Market are coming across as “relisted” in my push notifications. These tend to be contracts that were priced on the high side, IMO. I wonder if demand is beginning to slow slightly? It seems like it has remained relatively strong, certainly defying my expectations. I would think the ongoing Covid lockdowns, economic uncertainty, the removal of on-site perks, and the diminished experience right now would be a perfect storm for flooding the market with contracts in an environment with little demand. But I’ve been wrong so far! 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter