Where should we go on a non-disney trip?

IamTrike

DIS Veteran
Months ago we had a series of " why you should come visit my state posts". DW and I are thinking about a non Disney vacation in June. We have 2 kids 9 and 6 and we are looking for about a week long trip. Ideally the trip would be drive-able from the east coast. We usually go to Myrtle for a week but I was looking for other interesting ideas. Anyone have suggestions for a fun non theme park trip?

Ryan

Months ago we had a series of " why you should come visit my state posts". DW and I are thinking about a non Disney vacation in June. We have 2 kids 9 and 6 and we are looking for about a week long trip. Ideally the trip would be drive-able from the east coast. We usually go to Myrtle for a week but I was looking for other interesting ideas. Anyone have suggestions for a fun non theme park trip?

Ryan

I'll offer Washington DC, great history and museums. Or Virgina Beach, like Myrtle, but all on one strip. You could also go to New York City. :rolleyes1

Well… sence you asked…
I had originally planned a Mid-Atlantic trip for this June that would have gone like this…

Asheboro, NC
NC Zoo

Manteo, NC
Wright Brothers National Memorial
Posibally Fort Raleigh
Outdoor play: Lost Colony

Williamsburg, VA
Colonial Williamsburg
Possibly Bush Gardens

Norfolk VA
Victory Rover (this is a harbor cruise/tour)
Nauticus National Maritime Center (including the battleship USS Wisconsin)

Rehoboth DE
For some beach time and
Rehoboth Boardwalk (including “Fun Land” amusement park)

With a possible stop at the “Wallops Flight Facility (NASA launch base) on the way up there and defiantly a crossing on the Chesapeake bay bridge/tunnel

Delaware City, DE
Fort Delaware State Park (includes a ferry ride)
Possibly the “Dover AFB - Air Mobility Command museum” or the state house along the way.

Philadelphia, PA
Independence National Historical Park
Independence Hall
and other sites in the area

Baltimore, MD
Fort Mc Henry or the National Aquarium

Richmond, VA with one or two of these…
American Civil War Center
Museum and White House of the Confederacy
Richmond National Battlefield Park
Or one of the other major battle fields in the area

Raleigh, NC
Now you’d be back home here, but we were considering one or two if these…

Guilford courthouse national military park
North Carolina Museum of History
North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences
North Carolina State Capitol

We’d then continue on toward home and hit this last attraction…

Albemarle NC
Reed Gold Mine

Each drive is only about three or four hours. That was one of my summer plans and I have a lot of research done for it, but we just can’t make the trip this time around. I also had a version of a road trip that headed south toward the gulf coast and included WDW if you’re interested, but for us that one ain’t happening either.

Smokey Mountains...Cherokee, NC ...Pigeon Forge, TN...Gatlinburg, TN...Cade's Cove, TN. Blue Ridge Pkwy.

I know you said non-theme park... but we have Dollywood and Dolly's Splash Country in Pigeon Forge.

Oh yeah there's a new Resort with it's own Water Park on the way into Pigeon Forge I believe it's called the Wilderness Lodge...and technically it is in Sevierville, TN.

Also My Home Town and Tennessee's Oldest... Jonesborough is about 2 Hours away.

Not sure if this would be too far, but St. Louis has a TON of wonderful things to do:

The Arch
The Zoo (free and HUGE)
The Missouri Botanical Gardens (the most beautiful place I've ever been to, and I've been to Paris, France. lol)
The Magic House
The Science Center
Knott's Berry Farm
Six Flags

I'm sure there is more, this is just the stuff that I remember from our trip. :goodvibes

I'll offer Washington DC, great history and museums. Or Virgina Beach, like Myrtle, but all on one strip. You could also go to New York City. :rolleyes1
My parents live just outside of DC and DW's live in VA beach. We get to do both of those a lot. There is a neat little beach just south of VA Beach called Croatan that we really like. Great suggestions though. I'd like to spend more time in DC and with the new Shuttle in the Air and Space museum at Dulles airport there's one more reason to hit that area.

Well… sence you asked…
I had originally planned a Mid-Atlantic trip for this June that would have gone like this…

Asheboro, NC
NC Zoo

Manteo, NC
Wright Brothers National Memorial
Posibally Fort Raleigh
Outdoor play: Lost Colony

Williamsburg, VA
Colonial Williamsburg
Possibly Bush Gardens

Norfolk VA
Victory Rover (this is a harbor cruise/tour)
Nauticus National Maritime Center (including the battleship USS Wisconsin)

Rehoboth DE
For some beach time and
Rehoboth Boardwalk (including “Fun Land” amusement park)

With a possible stop at the “Wallops Flight Facility (NASA launch base) on the way up there and defiantly a crossing on the Chesapeake bay bridge/tunnel

Delaware City, DE
Fort Delaware State Park (includes a ferry ride)
Possibly the “Dover AFB - Air Mobility Command museum” or the state house along the way.

Philadelphia, PA
Independence National Historical Park
Independence Hall
and other sites in the area

Baltimore, MD
Fort Mc Henry or the National Aquarium

Richmond, VA with one or two of these…
American Civil War Center
Museum and White House of the Confederacy
Richmond National Battlefield Park
Or one of the other major battle fields in the area

Raleigh, NC
Now you’d be back home here, but we were considering one or two if these…

Guilford courthouse national military park
North Carolina Museum of History
North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences
North Carolina State Capitol

We’d then continue on toward home and hit this last attraction…

Albemarle NC
Reed Gold Mine

Each drive is only about three or four hours. That was one of my summer plans and I have a lot of research done for it, but we just can’t make the trip this time around. I also had a version of a road trip that headed south toward the gulf coast and included WDW if you’re interested, but for us that one ain’t happening either.

These are all great suggestions. They just added onto the Science Museum in downtown Raleigh. If you ever want to come check it out let me know. You can swing by our house for a BBQ. I had a race this weekend in Kitty Hawk. We ran around/over the Wright Bros. memorial. While we were there saw a shirt that said "2 wrongs don't make a right, but 2 Wrights make a plane."

I hadn't looked at Delaware of Philly. Both of those seem interesting. Seems like it be possible to do a good mix of Beach and other stuff in Delaware.

I hadn't looked at the GoldMine either that seems like a neat thing to do one weekend.

Smokey Mountains...Cherokee, NC ...Pigeon Forge, TN...Gatlinburg, TN...Cade's Cove, TN. Blue Ridge Pkwy.

I know you said non-theme park... but we have Dollywood and Dolly's Splash Country in Pigeon Forge.

Oh yeah there's a new Resort with it's own Water Park on the way into Pigeon Forge I believe it's called the Wilderness Lodge...and technically it is in Sevierville, TN.

Also My Home Town and Tennessee's Oldest... Jonesborough is about 2 Hours away.

We did a Gatlinburg trip about 3 years ago. It was a lot of fun. We drove by that waterpark in Sevierville and were blown away by how big it is. We stopped to walk around it. A trip out there to explore the mountains could be a lot of fun. Would also give us a chance to explore the waterfalls in western NC.

Have you ever eaten at the Mill Restuarant. I think its on the road a couple stoplights before Dollwood?

Not sure if this would be too far, but St. Louis has a TON of wonderful things to do:

The Arch
The Zoo (free and HUGE)
The Missouri Botanical Gardens (the most beautiful place I've ever been to, and I've been to Paris, France. lol)
The Magic House
The Science Center
Knott's Berry Farm
Six Flags

I'm sure there is more, this is just the stuff that I remember from our trip. :goodvibes

Wow never even thought about St Louis. DW and I will have to check into it.
Sounds like an interesting place.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll point DW over here later tonight to look at things.

I agree with the earlier post of Williamsburg. It's not too far a drive for you and there's plenty to see and do. I don't know if it would fill a week though. Also, I've always been interested in Atlanta. The aquarium would obviously be a must-do and I've heard the tour at Coca-Cola is cool. CNN might also have a tour. Maybe a split stay between the GA and VA?

We did a Gatlinburg trip about 3 years ago. It was a lot of fun. We drove by that waterpark in Sevierville and were blown away by how big it is. We stopped to walk around it. A trip out there to explore the mountains could be a lot of fun. Would also give us a chance to explore the waterfalls in western NC.

Have you ever eaten at the Mill Restuarant. I think its on the road a couple stoplights before Dollwood?

It has been a few years since I have eaten there...but it was good...but cannot remember what I like there.

Usually we aren't up for a Table Meal...just quick day trips to Dollywood or Splash or the Outlets...so don't let the length of time between "eats" be a detractor...just not had the time.

Our favorite is the Applewood Farmhouse... Eat myself silly with some Apple Fritters and Fresh Apple Butter. Side Items are served Family Style...Entrees are specific per customer.

Ryan

Disney has resorts in Hilton Head and Vero Beach that are nice. Gatlinburg wasn't bad, but I'd go back to Hilton Head first, and the drive was only a few extra hours. Panama City Beach did not work for us, although I may be willing to try a little further south on the gulf side.

It has been a few years since I have eaten there...but it was good...but cannot remember what I like there.

Usually we aren't up for a Table Meal...just quick day trips to Dollywood or Splash or the Outlets...so don't let the length of time between "eats" be a detractor...just not had the time.

Our favorite is the Applewood Farmhouse... Eat myself silly with some Apple Fritters and Fresh Apple Butter. Side Items are served Family Style...Entrees are specific per customer.

I think we ate there too. If I remember correctly there was a geo-cache not far from outside the restaurant and it had some mighty fine desserts.

Disney has resorts in Hilton Head and Vero Beach that are nice. Gatlinburg wasn't bad, but I'd go back to Hilton Head first, and the drive was only a few extra hours. Panama City Beach did not work for us, although I may be willing to try a little further south on the gulf side.

Started looking at renting points for Hilton head just to compare it to other beach options. Looks like a 1 bedroom is about 1400 for 4 nights midweek. It's not bad but I think we could do a full week at other places close to the beach for about 1500-2k. What were the advantages to staying at disney hilton head compared to renting a beach house?

Started looking at renting points for Hilton head just to compare it to other beach options. Looks like a 1 bedroom is about 1400 for 4 nights midweek. It's not bad but I think we could do a full week at other places close to the beach for about 1500-2k. What were the advantages to staying at disney hilton head compared to renting a beach house?

Never rented a beach house, so can't say for sure. We only have 4 in our family, so we get by with studios, and these were bigger than OKW. With HHI and Vero, you get those amenities like any Disney Resort - pool, pool games, water slide, ping pong, foosball, billiards, games, DVDs, etc. HHI resort is not on beach, but 1.5 mile away. We drove everyday, but also free shuttle or ride bicycles. HHI did rentals per day or per week at your choice. I like the beach, but I am not one who can just hang out there all day or go shopping.

Ryan

Before our WDW trip this July, we'll be spending a week on Long Boat Key off of Sarasota. That's what we did in July, 2010 and it was a great, relaxing vacation spot. We stay at a small "resort" call Sun 'N Sea, it's a series of small cabins, plus a hotel with their own beach on the gulf.

Williamsburg and Va Beach have plenty to do, but you've been here.

About 10 years ago, we went to Cherokee, NC and that was a great vacation too.

Each drive is only about three or four hours. That was one of my summer plans and I have a lot of research done for it, but we just can’t make the trip this time around.

You can't make it?! :sad1:

I guess I'll have to eat all these cheesesteaks by myself, then.

I hadn't looked at Delaware or Philly. Both of those seem interesting. Seems like it be possible to do a good mix of Beach and other stuff in Delaware.

I find it hard to believe that Delaware wasn't the very first place you looked. Ahem.

In any case, Rob pretty much gave you the run-down on the mid-Atlantic coast. Philly, Baltimore, DC and Delaware are all very close, so there would be a lot to do/see in a relatively small area.

You might be able to do some of the same things we did on our road trip last summer (TR link below). I'd definitely recommend Chicago and Louisville, as well as Mammoth Cave NP. Shenandoah NP is nice as well.

You can't make it?! :sad1:

I guess I'll have to eat all these cheesesteaks by myself, then.

Trust me… I ain’t happy about that fact either. Too much money got chewed up on auto repairs, and house repairs (and I’ve got more on the horizon) so all long distance trips got canceled. :mad:

I may still be able to get down to the coast in late July so we may yet be able to get into something then (just not the local cheesesteak)

Trust me… I ain’t happy about that fact either. Too much money got chewed up on auto repairs, and house repairs (and I’ve got more on the horizon) so all long distance trips got canceled. :mad:

Well, that's just plain...crappy. :(

I may still be able to get down to the coast in late July so we may yet be able to get into something then (just not the local cheesesteak)

That sounds better! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter