Where to go for a one day side trip from Universal?

Wdw1015

DIS Veteran
We have a week planned for June and I’m considering taking a day in the middle and doing a side trip. We’ve considered Sea World (Discovery Cove doesn’t interest us), Kennedy Space Center or the obvious Disney. Any other options that I may be forgetting?

There's Legoland even though it's a bit far out.

If you're interested in shopping, you could spend all day at the Premium Outlet Mall nearby.

We have a week planned for June and I’m considering taking a day in the middle and doing a side trip. We’ve considered Sea World (Discovery Cove doesn’t interest us), Kennedy Space Center or the obvious Disney. Any other options that I may be forgetting?

We did SeaWorld as a break from Universal. The roller coasters there were amazing! Especially the Mako!!!

Seaworld is a good option IMO - and Universal has a complimentary bus that you can book with guest services. It leaves from the bus loop at Citywalk starting at 9AM (or an hour before the park opens)

I've been thinking about Kennedy Space Center next time - I need to look into transport options - I saw a guided tour somewhere for $100 that included transport - but as I said I need to research it

Disney is a obvious choice - but I feel it gets expensive for one day - especially if you want to park hop - I used the Mears shuttle to get to Disney and it was basically full of people from the various UNI hotels

Last edited:

We loved the Orlando Eye... there's also a Sea Life aquarium and a Madame Tussaud's in the complex, IIRC. There's also a Medieval Times restaurant not too far away that's fun...

I plan on doing SeaWorld, Busch Gardens (renting a car for one day) and a day at Disney (but I am going on an 8 day trip, so I have time.) I may drop SeaWorld.

I plan on doing SeaWorld, Busch Gardens (renting a car for one day) and a day at Disney (but I am going on an 8 day trip, so I have time.) I may drop SeaWorld.
There is a bus that goes from Citywalk to Busch Gardens - I dont have any info on it though

You're missing out! We aren't space nerds and still found it to be a fabulous outing. Really well done and interesting.
I'll get over there one of these days. I really wanted to see a shuttle go off from over there but never happened. I have several pictures of launches from my house which will have to do.

There is a bus that goes from Citywalk to Busch Gardens - I dont have any info on it though

That might be an option! :) Thanks!

Thanks for the info @snoopboop!

(Edit) I just looked up the information on the bus.. I like that the travel is free.. I don't like that you might get there as late as 11:30 am. When the park is closing at 5 or 6 pm, that's a big chunk of missing time. If it were open a full day, that would be worth it. I am probably going to use the car for other reasons as well, so renting isn't such a bad idea :)

We did 2.5 days at Sea World in the middle of a split trip (US/IOA, WDW, SW, BGT). We decided this time, a day at Sea World during the Universal part of our trip would be ideal. We will skip BGT this time but I really think most of Sea World can be seen in a day with a plan and it is so close to Universal your travel time will not take up much of the day.

Our trip plans recently changed, and we're now looking to extend our stay. I'm torturing my husband with this thank you!:cool1:

I've done this in ATL, and it was so much fun. However, it seems to be one of those things people tend to either love or hate. It's a little corny and very over the top with the acting / fighting, but that was what made it such fun. It was hilarious watching the knights "die" dramatically or "fall" off a horse. It's fun if you get into the spirit of it, cheer and boo and all that. You can't take it seriously.

If anyone is interested I know you can sign up on their website for email discounts. I think I receive them once or twice a month, and they usually offer some pretty good deals. It is free to sign up.

Back to the OP, some day trips we've done:

• Sea World (we usually need 2 days here)
  • Busch Gardens (can be iffy if the weather is rainy, as they constantly close everything down)
  • Disney
  • Shopping (DTD / outlets)
  • Kennedy Space Center
  • Clear Water Beach
  • Manatee Preserve (Apollo Beach Electric Plant)
  • St. Pete (hot works free glass blowing demonstration and nearby art muesem)
  • Tampa Airboat ride through Salt Marshes (see dolphins, manatees, catch horse shoe crabs, explore the mangroves, one of our favorite things, great for those who don't care about swamps and gators)
  • Monster Truck tour through the citrus grove at Showcase of Citrus (another favorite, inexpensive fun day, nice picnic area, playground for kids, animals to pet, pick your own fruit or just take a stroll, worth a stop just to smell the groves)
  • Geo caching
  • Tampa day trip (aquarium, Dolphin Tale dolphin marine center and muesem, science museum, IMAX)
  • Orlando aquarium (this was an adorable aquarium. Great for small children. Loved the interactive stamp books, and the educational cartoon characters who swim through the real fish to teach kids. Really cool way to educate . Much better than just sticking a sign up that most people will ignore. However, this place was tiny. In and out in 30 minutes to 1.5 hrs tops, probably.)

Other day trips
  • Crayola Factory
  • Springs where the manatees are
  • Swamp Airboat tour near Orlando
  • Gatorland
  • Legoland
  • Weeki Wachee Springs ( I want to go here so bad, one day!)
  • Manatees at the springs

It's a little corny and very over the top with the acting / fighting, but that was what made it such fun. It was hilarious watching the knights "die" dramatically or "fall" off a horse. It's fun if you get into the spirit of it, cheer and boo and all that. You can't take it seriously.

Exactly, it's the "cheese" factor that makes me say lets do it! and makes him go seriously? no. But our 9 year old would love it.

World of Citrus sounds really fun - how far is it from Universal? Would it be a full day trip or something we could do in an afternoon?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter