which drop is worse--Jurassic park river ride or Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls?

I think Ripsaw falls has the best drop, although JP is higher, RF is much faster and you get absolutely soaked!

Poncho + sit in the back of JP = dry.

Never got that wet on JP - rode 2nd row last month and walked off dry.

Poncho + Dudley = you should be okay. Pack an undershirt and keep your normal shirt tucked inside your poncho.
SIT on your poncho -this ride soaks your shorts.

Poncho + Popeye = not very effective. Again, pack an undershirt and put your normal shirt in the barge's plastic storage compartment.

There is no hope for anyone, ever, to come off Popeye dry. Take spare clothes. You will be soaked to your underwear. Best advice: REMOVE YOUR SHOES (they say not to but no one ever says anything once you're sat down and belted). I usually wear a bikini top for this ride. ANYTHING you do not want to get wet needs to be in the plastic storage compartment on the boat; pockets, ponchos, sitting on it etc. will have no effect!

Thing is: once you're wet, you're wet. So you may as well ride again :lmao:

There is no hope for anyone, ever, to come off Popeye dry. Take spare clothes. You will be soaked to your underwear. Best advice: REMOVE YOUR SHOES (they say not to but no one ever says anything once you're sat down and belted). I usually wear a bikini top for this ride. ANYTHING you do not want to get wet needs to be in the plastic storage compartment on the boat; pockets, ponchos, sitting on it etc. will have no effect!

:lmao:

Well, now I'm feeling bad that Popeye always seems to be down for rehab during my January trips. Who doesn't like a good soaking? :cool1:

IMHO, Dudley is WAY more intense. WAY.
Jurassic is less steep and the larger boat makes is gentler.
I mean, just think of the restraints....more serious on Dudley.
All that being said, I love both.

We just returned from our trip and we loved all of the rides but on our first day we did get soaked. In order of "wetness" we by far got soaked the most on Popeye, then Dudley and then JP.

There are these stand up dryers outside some of the rides that you can try. The cost $ but not a lot and they did seem to help. Also, we dried pretty fast in the sun and heat but we kept going back on water rides. They were all so much fun. Once on Popeye was enough for me but I would have done Dudley several times....we all loved it!

Even though the drop on JP may be longer, we thought Dudley was more intense. I feel like you go down the drop faster on Dudley since your ride vehicle is lighter, and then there are those mini bumps at the bottom of the hill you go speeding through too. You also get soaked on Dudley no matter where you sit.

LOVE the Dudley Ripsaw Falls! So much fun! Don't skip it! Yeah....you do get wet. It was hot last time we went and it felt pretty good. In RF the vehicle is tight and you do sit one behind the other. We had waterproof backpacks that we took on the ride and that made things even more cramped for space. They have lockers in the area that are pay lockers. In JP we sat around the middle of the boat and did not get wet. The drop is a little intense especially since it's in the dark and if you have never ridden it, you don't know when you go up, when and if you are going down! The Popeye and Brutus water ride is just about getting wet, really not much fun unless you want to beat the heat.

LOVE the Dudley Ripsaw Falls! So much fun! Don't skip it! Yeah....you do get wet. It was hot last time we went and it felt pretty good. In RF the vehicle is tight and you do sit one behind the other. We had waterproof backpacks that we took on the ride and that made things even more cramped for space. They have lockers in the area that are pay lockers. In JP we sat around the middle of the boat and did not get wet. The drop is a little intense especially since it's in the dark and if you have never ridden it, you don't know when you go up, when and if you are going down! The Popeye and Brutus water ride is just about getting wet, really not much fun unless you want to beat the heat.

I think Popeye's theming is true to the cartoons. The ride itself is like all the other eight passenger (eight or ten?) rapids-style water rides at parks everywhere. You go on it to see who gets drenched and who maybe escapes with minor splashing depending on how the raft spins down the course. We love seeing a waterfall ahead, the raft heading for it while spinning, and wondering who ends up underneath it. We always laugh our butts off on it.

JP- fixed drop angle
Dudley- the angle of descent increases during the drop

It's the change of angle that makes Dudley feel more intense (and what makes it great). One of my favorites!

As for height, it is JP since it's higher, but as for intensity, speed, and how wet you get would have to go to Do-Right. I think that all of the reasons listed above definitely makes Do-Right "worse", such as the angle, speed, force, smallness of the boat, and how soaked you get, as others said.

However, what I feel (for me at least) makes it even "worse" is the fact that with the big drop, you just keep going up and up and immediately you see what is going to happen to you, before go down this dramatic drop with such intensity and force, then BOOM there is the water in your face, your clothes, everywhere! Where as with JP, you climb all the way to the drop, cruise a little, and relax (kind of, sort of) for a moment before the drop sets in.

I will do anything when it comes to coasters, but drops are the only thing that will definitely make my heart race (but I'll face them) and while JP is higher, I definitely have my heart racing the whole time while on Dudley-Do, but not so much on JP.

I think another thing that makes it "worse" on Dudley is the little drops you get along the course of the ride, which make you question (if you never rode it, or rarely ride it) how intense the drop will be and might make you worry a little bit. But regardless of how little, or small it is, your heart will race a little and even with each little drop you get pounded with water (even before you go to the big drop).

I have never done Dudley. But I have done JP. When I got on it, I had no idea what the ride really was, or that there indeed was a HUGE drop at the end. I consider myself to be on the skinnier side (and not to complain) but i do sometimes feel a bit.. unsafe in rides because i cannot get that damn bar close enough to my lap. So there we were floating along and all of a sudden it was dark and i couldn't see anything ahead of us on the ride (i was in the back) and then all of a sudden WE WERE DROPPING! STRAIGHT down!! and i thought i was going to fall out over the boat and pass everybody on the way down. I don't know if it was fun and i enjoyed it, or if i really was half outta my seat.. doubt i can do it again

JP is in the dark and the drop is enclosed, where DDRF is out in the open, you see what's coming, you are in a tiny little torpedo going off the edge and go back up a little hill as soon as you hit the bottom, and get WAY more wet...both are great!

Dudley is way worse. Compare pictures and it looks taller and steeper plus you get soaked! I think they did some sort of refurb on it a few years back where they made the drop less intense but you still get drenched.

If you don't get drenched on Dudley, you might get a soaking once you come out under the bridge by the people on top of the bridge walkway

I always bring my quarters and use the water guns to soak those that take off their ponchos around the bend

If you don't get drenched on Dudley, you might get a soaking once you come out under the bridge by the people on top of the bridge walkway

I always bring my quarters and use the water guns to soak those that take off their ponchos around the bend

giphy.gif

Reactions: AJA
I mean, the outside of the ride is cool to look at, but as far as theming goes when you're ON it, it was kind of pathetic to me. Lots of bare areas, whereas Splash Mountain has TONS of theming inside & out.

But that's the charm of the ride - it looks just like the cartoons, which were spare with the characters front and center, cheesy backgrounds everywhere. The cartoons were all about the dialog and corny jokes.

Splash is basically The Song of the South movie, and is well done in its own way (especially the end with the paddle wheel boat). Both attractions are true to their sources.

I by far prefer JP! It is a high drop but it feels quick and fun.
I was actually quite terrified on the Dudley drop and the water hitting my face really hurt...
But it's absolutely a personal perference thing

Maybe it's just a mind game because the atmosphere of the two rides is so different but I've never, ever thought Dudley's drop is as intensive as JPRA. Dudley is cartoonish, so I guess I equated that with "mild". But screaming dinosaurs that are trying to rip you apart? Hmm, so the drop must terrifying, yeah? :lmao:

And both can get you a whole lot wetter than Splash Mtn.

So is JP similar to DINOSAUR at AK in terms of Dino scariness? All but one of my family are not so keen on getting soaked (I would really love a ride at a theme park somewhere that splashes you without soaking you ... but such is not the mission of these rides). And the one who doesn't mind being soaked also laughs like a loon on big drops. So so far so good with JP. But she was very scared on Dinosaur and rode it with her head in my lap. I'm guessing that might be a deal breaker here.

have the the one that doesn't like water to put on a poncho.
if the boat is fully loaded, probably the front row could get more splashes.
same with the ones at the ends of the seats.

maybe i should not say that as i have been on many times and not a drop of water, then other times get splashed in the face and back of my t-shirt....

yes, you will see dino's and other creatures during the ride at JP

pleasant story line to the ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter