Which is the best WDW resort?

Obi Wan Kenobi

DIS Veteran
Looking for some information

Which is the best DVC resort out of these (for visiting/using)

1) Animal kingdom Villas

2) Beach Club Villas

3) Boardwalk Villas

4) Old Key west

5) Saratoga Springs Resort

6) Wilderness Resort Villas

TIA

Which is the best DVC resort out of these (for visiting/using)
Am I right in assuming you mean literally just to visit, rather than to stay at? My answer will be totally different depending on what it is you're looking to do.

Am I right in assuming you mean literally just to visit, rather than to stay at? My answer will be totally different depending on what it is you're looking to do.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. Yes to stay at with a young son (8)

Bay towers not showing on RCI yet :)

if its for the amenities for a 8 year old would say AKL then beach club.As both pools are the best on property,the new one at AKL looks like a mini typhoon lagoon check http://jefflangedvd.com/ for video of pool and amenities at AKL . remember the video taken in morning before water turned on.
At Beach club there pool and slide great fun
not much to do at OKW for a young un
SSR great for grown ups as close to downtown disney pool and ground are great but others better
WL nice but a bit secluded
You can visit any onsite hotels to walk around to view shop eat etc. they never have a problem with that
Hope this helps
Paulh

our favourite is Beach Club Villas too

my DD is 7 and her choice is Beach Club Villas due to it having a beach and the pool with the sand bottom, so we are spending most of our stay there with the last three nights at AKV. I think AKV would be a winner with kids too and the units are very nice. I would stay at BCV, VWL or AKV with kids as I think there the most appealing to kids.

Beach Club Villas and BoardWalk Villas have the huge benefit of location and that's really not to be underestimated. We love Epcot, and to be able to saunter back to our accommodation via the International Gateway is one of the big draws of staying onsite for us, particularly after IllumiNations. We often watch it from Norway and then, as the hordes pour out into Future World, we stroll in the opposite direction, eventually having the entire place to ourselves. Disney's Hollywood Studios is also easily accessible (either on foot, or via Friendship boat) from the Epcot resorts. There are so many restaurant options in that area, too, particularly when you include those at the Swan and Dolphin. The downside is that they're both showing signs of wear.

If you're MK fans, then Villas at Wilderness Lodge (and obviously Bay Lake Tower in due course - I would have thought RCI should be offering that soon) also have the location benefit. Again, VWL doesn't have the 'new' factor that I prefer, but it's a wonderfully laid-back resort. Our next trip, whenever that turns out to be, will definitely see us spending a few days at BLT.

Old Key West also has a laid-back charm and I can see why its fans rave about it - the entire place has a homely, neighbourhood feel - but it wouldn't be for me. It has lots of wide open spaces and the units are considerably larger than those at subsequent developments, but it's just all too jaded IMO, and too far away from the action. It is possible to walk to Downtown Disney, but it's a fair old trek, particularly from some parts of the resort, and the path is closed each evening at dusk.

Saratoga Springs to DTD, on the other hand, is easily walkable and it has the benefit of being much newer. The villas we've stayed at in the (newest) Grandstand area have been immaculate. It's let down, though, by not having a really good restaurant or bar. I don't do food courts, but Artist's Palette there seems pleasant enough. The Turf Club isn't bad, but it isn't in the same league as the signature restaurants which all the other 'deluxe' resorts boast. And the bar is just a hole in the wall in a lounge which effectively serves as a holding area for the Turf Club. The main pool, and the quiet pools there are all good, though.

Animal Kingdom Lodge is a fabulous resort and they took the opportunity when designing the villas, to make some changes from the tried and tested layout. Admittedly, they're not hugely different, but they seem less formulaic. The bathrooms are particularly nice. The first of the units are inside the main lodge (they ripped out some rooms), but the new Kidani Village, which opens this month, is a purpose-built DVC resort with its own restaurant and pool, etc. That would be my choice, particularly as you'd still have access to the facilities at AKL. The big drawback is its location.

The official Disney site has some pretty good 360 room views (although bear in mind that the rooms all look new, and that's far from reality). BLT has its own website and there are some stunning images and 360 views on that.

That looks stunning. I love staying at places when they're new. If I was going soon, this is definitely what I'd opt for (with maybe a few nights at BLT and a few more at the Treehouse Villas :thumbsup2).

I do believe that Disney DVC are going down the route of destination resorts.Making them a place that have signature restaurants a mini water park with themed building (most Disney places themed) Hawaii DVC comes to mind as no parks near it.With future expansion looks like it will be away from the parks think this will be there way of going
Were doing Kidani an Aug so will let you know if its as good as it looks. We have looked at BLT but the only draw is MK and nowadays water parks and pools are more our thing (love pool hopping )
We stayed at pop first week it opened,CSR first week it opened and were at SSR 5 days before official opening and agree its nice when there new. If travelling wasnt a problem would suggest hilton head island
Paulh

Kidani looks amazing, we are staying at Jambo house this year as there was no Savannah views left at Kidani however we will be making use of the Kidani pool, I read that anyone staying at AKV at ether building can use both pools however guest staying at AKL can't use the pool at Kidani.

Kidani looks amazing, we are staying at Jambo house this year as there was no Savannah views left at Kidani however we will be making use of the Kidani pool, I read that anyone staying at AKV at ether building can use both pools however guest staying at AKL can't use the pool at Kidani.

would think if on points at Jambo AKV should be able to use dvc amenities at kidani.but people staying cash at AKL wont
Paulh

Old Key West also has a laid-back charm and I can see why its fans rave about it - the entire place has a homely, neighbourhood feel - but it wouldn't be for me. It has lots of wide open spaces and the units are considerably larger than those at subsequent developments, but it's just all too jaded IMO, and too far away from the action.

The 'jaded' part is an interesting observation and one I have heard before about all of the resorts apart from the newest. My last stay at BWV was certainly in a 'jaded' unit (as I believe you experienced yourself Deb) whereas my last 1 brm at OKW was in excellent condition with its huge balcony overlooking the Trumbo Canal :cloud9: Whilst I am certainly a fan of the resort, it wouldn't necessarily be the one I would recommend to the OP other than for additional space, tranquility and the 'Florida feel'.

I also think with an 8 year old, villas attached to the resorts have a lot of appeal and my vote would probably be for BWV (I'm sure not all of the units are jaded, lol) because of the child-friendly entertainment on the Boardwalk in the evening.

My viewpoint is kind of different from most as we see a lot of our holiday plans through the eyes of an autistic child.
I also haven't stayed at or viewed several of these resorts.

We did stay at the Boardwalk in 2006 and liked the location, proximity to the Beach Club and EPCOT especially, plus the fantastic ESPN Sports Bar.
However, Joshua never settled here and hated the pool and that clown.
The room was the letdown, as it looked in dire need of a re-fit. I just don't or didn't at the time see it as a resort for kids.

Beach Club looked to me more aimed at the younger teenage audience, especially the packed pool, strange then why I liked it so much :)
The pool is quite open with it being at the front of the resort but the interior looked fresh and well 'beachey'! I have heard that some of the rooms here may need attention too and also that the view from the standard based rooms isn't the best.

Saratoga Springs Resort we had the full tour at a time when we thought about DVC purchase, it's a real classy resort and the pool area's personally I think suitable for a young child, especially the Grandstand with the water play area.

For our next stay, hopefully August 2010 we are looking at a few nights at Bay Lake Towers before the usual off site villa stay. Mainly as ours and Joshua's favourite park is Magic Kingdom by a mile, and having had a good look around the Grand Floridian and Polynesian last month having both these on your doorstep has to be a major plus too.
Both the GF and Poly do excellent character dining for the young boy and are a very short monorail journey away. You are touching distance from MK and EPCOT can be reached fairly easily by monorail too.
Having 2 deluxe resorts/MK and a short walk across to the existing Contemporary - even though I have never liked the look of this hotel having it so near has to be a massive plus. Chef Mickey's anyone?

I must admit when we did pass by the BLT last month en route to MK, it just looked like a standard high rise hotel - it didn't remotely look Disney-like in anyway and I shook my head as we passed by, now we are thinking of staying there! ...still the rooms look good the location is perfect (for us anyway) and it has a kitchen, something that is a must for us.

So maybe some resorts do not have the best restaurants and bars, fair enough but what about the needs of the little fella? ;)

SSR and BLT in my opinion would offer the best balance for you AND your son. They also have the massive advantage of being new, I mean BLT isn't even open yet so you can't get any better than that. It can sometimes be a balancing act getting what's best for you and best for your child, after all you want to make sure everyone is happy.
I just wish they hadn't called it Bay Lake Towers - I can't get 'Bacon/Lettuce/Tomato' out of my mind now.

SSR and BLT in my opinion would offer the best balance for you AND your son. They also have the massive advantage of being new, I mean BLT isn't even

I just wish they hadn't called it Bay Lake Towers - I can't get 'Bacon/Lettuce/Tomato' out of my mind now.

Kidani AKL only opened 3 days ago so that new in my eyes
BLT was going to be called kingdom towers but there is some religious connection to that name that's why they dropped it
Paulh

Kidani AKL only opened 3 days ago so that new in my eyes
Paulh

Yep that's new - but I don't like the location. Which is why the Bay Lake resort appeals.
If I stay at a disney resort I want other things we like nearby.

would think if on points at Jambo AKV should be able to use dvc amenities at kidani.but people staying cash at AKL wont
Paulh

That is what I heard plus people paying cash staying at the villas at Jambo booked through disney can also use the Kidani pool so its not just restricted to those on points. not sure if that bit is true though.

We did stay at the Boardwalk in 2006...
The room was the letdown, as it looked in dire need of a re-fit
The Inn has undergone a refit since then. As an RCI exchange, though, Obi would be looking at the DVC side of the resort and that's certainly still in dire need of a refit. I think members' annual dues must all be going on carpet shampoo, because they've been cleaned to within an inch of their lives. :sad2:

My last stay at BWV was certainly in a 'jaded' unit (as I believe you experienced yourself Deb)
We certainly did, and our 2 bed at BCV in January last year wasn't much better. I alluded to that in my reply, but, reading it back, it may have seemed I was talking about the Swan and Dolphin, rather than BWV and BCV. :upsidedow

The Inn has undergone a refit since then. As an RCI exchange, though, Obi would be looking at the DVC side of the resort and that's certainly still in dire need of a refit. I think members' annual dues must all be going on carpet shampoo, because they've been cleaned to within an inch of their lives. :sad2:

One of the reasons why we didn't buy DVC to be honest. We were extremely dissapointed with the quality of the furnishings in the room.
It is expensive to stay there too, especially if you book direct - I think it was $450 per night around the time we stayed there, it was still not cheap for us when we rented points.

In fairness we have only stayed on-site once, I am sure many people have different experiences. I have seen photos of Boardwalk rooms that look very nice - however, ours was far from that.

It does just make me nervous about booking the Polynesian for our next holiday - hence the interest in Bay Lake, albeit for just a few nights.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter