Which resort do you recommend?

luv2boys

DVC Boardwalk Villas
Out of Disneyland Hotel, Grand California, or Paradise Pier? Planning a trip next summer, and can't make up my mind. What are your likes and dislikes?

Stayed at DLH concierge this past July- Sierra Tower- Loved the hotel- the room was big and comfortable- We were ont he 10th floor and had a gorgeous view of Downtown Disney. Concierge Service was A+. We were treated like gold.

The walk to DL through DTD was a little long due to the heat- but the monorail can take you to tomorrowland. You can access CA through the Grand Californian Hotel instead of walking to the main entrance of the park.

We are WDW verterans and loved the DLH because there is nothing like it in Orlando. The theming of the hotel- the pool- is great for kids and 50 somethings like us too.

GC is closest and newest, but also the most pricey. Has a nice pool area.
DLH is 2nd closest, probably the most "Disney" in decor, and mid priced. Has a really great pool area.
PP is the furthest, but also the cheapest. Has a great pool side, but it has limited hours and the rest of the pool area is lacking in theme.

It really depends on your needs. I notice you've been to WDW a few times, and are probably comparing DL to that. They are very different. Everything at DL is very close. All three onsite hotels are walking distance, as are a lot of off site hotels. Some of the offsite are very nice, and include things like free shuttles or breakfast. If you let us know a little more about what you are looking for we can probably help you more.

We love the GCH. I like being so close to the park and the rooms are very nice. My kids are 11 & 13 though, if they were younger I think they might prefer the Disneyland Hotel. We've never stayed there but from what I've seen of it, it seems to tie in more with the park theme.

I agree that the location of GCH is wonderful. You can literally walk out the door and be right inside California Adventure. It also has some bunkbed rooms and daybed rooms. If you don't get one of those they will provide a sleeping bag. Almost all the rooms have balconies. It has that "deluxe" feel the WDW deluxes have. They have nightly turndown service which is also very nice. If you are familar with the Wildnerness Lodge than GCH will seem very familar as well. The rooms are furnished with dark woods and fabrics. It is sometimes as much as $100 a night more than the DLH however. To me the biggest draws of this hotel are location and the balconies. I thought the rooms seemed a bit small which is why the balcony was a very nice addition.

The DLH has some the most oversized rooms I have stayed in. They are light and bright and have a sliding door to allow fresh air in (no balcony though). They have many Disney touches. Other than All Star Movies I can't think of any Disney resort that is that Disney in theming. Except the DLH Disney touches are upscale and elegant. It has three towers, all of which have pros and cons, some very nice landscaping including waterfalls and Koi ponds and several onsite dining choices. The pool is incredible and kids love it. My kids (9 and 11) prefer the pool at the DLH over GCH's. It is also deluxe in amenities but maybe not quite as much as the GCH. Its my favorite of the three and even though our stay at GCH in June of this year was excellent and we enjoyed every minute of it, we did miss the Disney touches and cheer as well as oversized rooms at the DLH. Many rooms at the Disneyland Hotel have daybeds, if not they will provide a rollaway for free.

Paradise Pier is very nice, a California beach theme with some Disney touches as well. The rooms are also very oversized, light and bright. The rooms have a couch that makes into a daybed thats very comfy. Its my least favorite of the three but we still enjoyed our two stays there very much. I think it really lacks in dining choices and the pool, other than the slide is completely underwhelming. Its the farthest walk (but not by much over the DLH and the monorail helps in that area). I would gladly stay there again but would have to save substantially over the DLH to do so.

I noticed you have stayed at Boardwalk so you will love the fact that you can walk to the parks from any of the three onsite hotels. In fact the walk is shorter and even more convenient than BW to MGM or Epcot. Its a different kind of walk however since you are walking through DTD and not along the nice river path. And just like BW, you can take transportation, in this case the monorail, to cut down on the walk but just like at WDW, its sometimes easier and faster to just walk it.

Depends on if budget is a factor or not. I'd probably stay at GCH if money isn't an issue. It's a beautiful hotel, RIGHT there, can't get any closer. Some of the best views are at this hotel IMO.

Second DLH, we love the themed hotel. It's the most Disney themed out of the 3. From the room decor, to the Peter Pan themed pool. To the little jungle boats you can drive. The grounds are really nice, complete with waterfalls and koi pools. We saw Goofy more then once walking around the Lobby, and of course there is Goofy's Kitchen in the hotel for Character Meals. Also has great views, we've had a pool view twice. And I tell ya, I spent a lot of time espeically at night just looking over everything lit up. They also have the view of DTD, which you can see the fireworks from. I hope to get that view someday!

We haven't stayed at PP yet, I'd probably stay there if budget was a bigger issue. As it is the cheaper of the three. You can get from what I understand some great views of DCA. It does have some theming, but not as much as DLH. They also have a character breakfast (Lilo and Stitch) in the hotel. They have a pool that is up high on a roof top (but not the top of the hotel).

I'd be pleased to stay at any, but that is in the order that I would choose. We stayed at DLH last month, and just loved it. Next year we are hoping for GCH! Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter