Which resort is a never or never again for you?

This thread is GOLD!! It’s amazing to hear everyone’s reasons for avoiding certain spots be so varied. Some really good insight that I couldn’t glean elsewhere, and way more useful information than a “my favorite resort” thread.

Awww, golly gee... <shuffles her cyberbooties, blushing>

Thanks much for your compliments which quite honestly belong to the many folks who've contributed so thoughtfully.

Here's to all of you. Well done! :cheer2:

POR. Quite possibly the worse stay we had on Disney property. Walls paper thin, rudly neighbors tv on all night loud talking. Room was close to one of the stops on the loop but busses where running way behind that week so everything just seemed like a long wait.
CBR. I liked the room and layout, however we where there during the remodel, dredging the pond for RS. Liked the fact we had a significant discount, but the smell from the dredging, everything being blocked off and long walks to the pool made it meh..will try again.
BC. Wanted to love this place, rooms are nice, awesome balcony overlooking the pool. However during our stay last year, food choices where horrid. Yes some decent selection of restaurants around the area but everything was completely booked, I think the unexpected significant crowds that week in July and non stop rain ruined our stay.
The pool area I honestly was expecting more, being how big it is, feels cramped to me.
WL. Love love love this place, was there during the refurb but was just a nice stay
Pop..was there many years ago before the refurb. Actually was very nice considering it being a value. The cafeteria food, and selection was actually very good especially with small kids.

The only resorts I've not stayed at is AOA, Fort Wilderness, Yacht Club, and POR. My goal is to stay at all of them. I don't really care about staying at Yacht Club or Fort Wilderness, but I will at some point (at least a night or two). The theming just doesn't appeal to me. I wasn't crazy about Coronado Springs, again theming just didn't appeal to me. I know some love it, and that's ok. So glad for all the different options.
We've stayed at 2 of the 4 you haven't. Fort Wilderness and POR. As for Fort Wilderness, for me, it is my least favorite. We went in September and, as you know, it's HOT and humid. Well, everything in the cabin was damp. Literally, it never dried. We had towels hanging so we could reuse them and 5 days later they were still damp. Our sheets were damp when we crawled in bed every night. I just wasn't into that. And the beds, at that time, were not comfortable. I wish that the price included a golf cart. Unfortunately, those are extra. And not cheap. So, we could only afford one for a night. We had fun with that while we had it. On the plus side, there is more than enough room for a family. POR is my 2nd favorite resort. I loved the theming and it was comfortable. I have no complaints about POR. I agree with you regarding Coronado Springs. I don't think I would stay there again if I have a choice.

I loved Fort Wilderness when we rented a huge DVC condo with another family. Transportation wise it is down a notch for me now with the main advantage being the boats to MK. Don’t think I feel the need to go back to FW again. Would like to try Boardwalk or Beach
Club since they are walkable to Epcot and HS.
Fort Wilderness is the campsite/RV/Cabin resort and Wilderness Lodge is the one closer to Magic Kingdom. I'm assuming that you weren't happy with Wilderness Lodge? I would love to try Boardwalk or Beach Club/Yacht Club. I think between those 2 I lean more towards Yacht Club. YC has more full balconies than BC does. I want to be able to sit on my balcony and not just stand there.

We are DVC only, so that limits choices. At this point I think we have stayed everywhere but Riviera and the Grand Floridian. I don’t like how inconvenient OKW and SSR are so I’m done with those. BLT is fine but I’m not chomping at the bit to go back. We did boardwalk last year after a covid rescheduled trip left beach club unavailable. It was fine but we like beach club so much more than we wouldn’t ever choose to be there.

The bigger issue for us is that we want to do split stays between BC and something else, but there are too many properties that we love and not enough time to do everything. CCV, VGF, bungalows, AK, and the yet to be built Poly tower are all on our list.

I’m just waiting for my “win the lottery” plan to come through so we can spend more time down in Disney. Either that or we just need to add a second annual trip. It’s really a question of when to add on and how to make it work given a lack of vacation time.

Caribbean Beach is a never again. Too large, you can either be close to the Skyliner OR the main pool/food. The food was meh.

My never to bother to do is the Grand Floridian. Too stuffy. But honestly, if I was offered a free stay at either I would grab it with both hands.

We stayed in the tower at Coronado in November and while beautiful, reminded me of just a nice “regular” hotel. I definitely missed the Disney vibe completely there and don’t think it would be my first choice. I much prefer French quarter with the quaintness and boat access to Disney Springs and CBR for the skyliner.

Never again is CBR. HVAC was broken in room, theming is tacky, feature pool too small and cramped, too spread out, and frankly, the food court felt uninspired for a moderate resort. So, never again. I never plan to stay at GF. The theming is just obnoxious. Reminds me of “Plantation South” vibes and that just screams racist/ privileged to me.

I’ve stayed at almost all the mods and deluxes over the years, and I’d say that there isn’t one I’d NEVER return to. They all have pros and cons, and if someone called and said they got a weekend room at any of them, I’d be in the car, ready to go haha.
if I had to pick my least favorites, it would be Coronado springs in the mod category, I stayed before the tower was built, but the theme was meh to me, there was no shade, which made the walk to the further buildings pretty brutal, and it was so far away from everything, the bus rides felt very long.
In the deluxe category, I’d say Saratoga srpings. It’s fine until you find out the rooms at OKW are sooooo much bigger for same price. It also feels like an apartment complex and it can be hard to find your correct building, because it all looks the same.

Saratoga springs (other than the tree houses which were pretty cool). We actually own some points here (got a good deal) but this resort does absolutely nothing for me. Theming is boring and we don’t spend that much time at Disney springs. Also would never have any desire to stay at riviera. Visited it, unimpressive in every way.

Grand Floridian. We transferred to another hotel because we disliked it so much. There were bugs in the room, the room felt humid and wet, hated how the bathroom sink area didn’t have a door.

We rented DVC points at the Boardwalk Villas (studio) in January and the room was so run down my mood plummeted. We had just transferred over from the Poly. I went to the front desk and they were so sweet. They made a couple calls and got us a savannah room (also a studio) at AKL Kidani, so we packed up and drove over right away. We were so grateful and we loved our room. The animals were the highlight of my vacation.
We were also in a BWV studio in January, room was dingy & rundown. That said, I do love the BW area, just won't stay there again until they refurb.
Unpopular opinion but I think the monorail resorts are overrated. Poly & GF are lovely but I just can't justify the cost. CR is a hard pass for me.

Which resort is a never or never again for you?

NEVER ~

There are plenty I would say never strictly because of the price. We are park centric so I could never begin to get value from some of the higher priced hotels. I love AKL and WL and would return for the right price. Poly I'd try for the right price as I think they've upgraded the amenities and atmosphere there. I don't think any of the others really bring me enough value to even consider at current rates.

NEVER AGAIN ~

POFQ

I will never again pay moderate prices for a resort with basically value amenities. No table service, a hot tub the size of a home backyard one - not near the pool bar and pool geared for little kids. The plus of the one bus stop was negated when we regularly shared buses with POR. I love they pulled off the NOLA look but sadly has none of the NOLA feels.

Ironically that the moderates have one that is more like a deluxe and one that is more like a value.

Ft Wilderness Cabins

Sigh ... The transportation system is awful, I don't enjoy spending so much time walking, on buses, on boats, transferring. It is fine if you aren't trying to maximize park time and rather be hanging at your cabin, but that isn't us. It was such a hassle we didn't even explore the resort and in the end drove to the parks and didn't use transportation. Kitchen & Living room are great, but the bedroom is so small, the bunks not long and then they ditched the perfectly good murphy bed for a sofabed. We like being at a resort where we can walk to a food court, all the pools and amenities.

Last edited:
I believe the clowns are finally gone
Just stayed there re a month ago. Locates obviously great. I like the Boardwalk-Boardwalk too. But for some reason I find navigating that place is not for the spatially challenged like me.

Sitting with my non-Disney fan DH I asked him about his “least fave” resort:
DH “I didn’t like the one with the giant bowling pin. (Aka POP) room was small and regular. I didn’t like the ”bad word“ room that had the stupid two bathrooms but one didn’t have a toilet “. Aka POLY studio.
Me: “ I don’t care for the value, loved our Contemporary stay (garden wing), loved BW, enjoyed POR/PORFQ (just3 in the room). As for the POLY: the studio design is terrible. At AOA (cars) those rooms have 2 full baths! We had a great stay at Fw cabins, and FW campground (in our rv).
honestly, anywhere on Disney property is fun! Heck I’d stay value if it was free, no cheer/sports or large groups…,

We will never stay at Pop again. My husband said he felt like cattle being herded in the food court. He just brought it up again tonight (keep in mind this was 15+ years ago!). He said "what was the name of that resort we stayed at?" and when I replied "Pop Century" his response was "MOOOOOO." :P I didn't love our stay there either but I certainly do not feel as strongly about it as he does!

Coranado Springs is the ONLY Disney hotel we have stayed at that we refuse to return to. We have stayed at POP, AOA, Sports, Movies, POR, CSR, Poly, GF, BLT, AK, BCV, BWV, WL, and RIV. It’s way too spread out. Transportation isn’t great. The food court is mediocre at best. I’ve had much better food at the value food courts. Rix Sports Bar and Grill is home of the worst meal I’ve ever had on property. As far as DVC rooms I don’t think we will ever do a studio at BLT again just because it feels so small. I think we may go back and try a 1 bedroom someday though.

Grand Floridian. We transferred to another hotel because we disliked it so much. There were bugs in the room, the room felt humid and wet, hated how the bathroom sink area didn’t have a door.

What an awful experience! And all that money! Kind of ironic, since GF is supposed to be the "creme de la creme" of resorts at WDW. Just goes to show that any resort can be the worst at some time for some people.

This has really had me thinking--I can't say never to any of the on property resorts. That said, I have some thoughts.

In the no desire to stay category:
Contemporary - I like to visit, but have never had the desire to stay. Now that MK is no longer a primary focus--I don't see it happening.​
All Stars (Any of them) - Too far away, too few transportation options and too many people.​
SSR and OKW - Nothing against either resort but for the sprawling nature of each. I could be convinced to stay at either IF I wasn't park focused and in no hurry to do anything. They would be good choices for a DS focused visit although I am not a huge fan of DS so--I'm in no hurry to stay.​
Pop/AoA - Did not enjoy our recent Pop stay -- See All Stars reasoning. In addition, the Skyliner is no way, no how a game changer for us--while it worked when we were there, the horror stories of closure are legend.​
Ft. Wilderness - I am not a camping gal and don't plan to become one. I enjoy visiting FW (HDDR was a favorite), but it is just a bit too "camping" and "crittery" for my tastes.​

In the would stay again, but not a first choice to return category:
AKL - We felt as if we were caged with no where to wander. Beautiful resort. Bus service was not a plus and took forever.​
WL - Another pleasant place to visit and a beautiful resort, but the transportation options are again a problem.​
GF - I really thought this would be my very favorite dream hotel until we stayed there and while I enjoyed it--it didn't leave me with a longing to return.​
CBR - The first resort always has fond memories. Unfortunately, the addition of Riviera and Skyliner have ruined this resort (much like the Skyliner has diminished the IG at Epcot). Then there are those pesky transportation issues when the Skyliner goes down AND you need buses.​
CSR - (Pre-tower) - We liked this resort, but it was the distance thing again and the poor bus service. Admittedly, the Tower does intrigue me and I could be convinced to overlook the poor transportation options.​
POR/FQ - Meh. . .I have no strong feelings one way or the other with these resorts. We didn't particularly enjoy the themed pools at either and for a reason I can't remember (low water table maybe?) the boats were not running to DTD.​

In the I would drop everything and return anytime category:
BC & BCV - Proximity to Epcot and walkability to Epcot and DHS! Drawback is the bus transportation to MK and AK. The theming is great and we we enjoy the bustle. This is my present favorite.​
YC - See BC & BCV. We enjoy YC and the quiet pool, but prefer BC.​
BWI & BWV - This is my husband's favorite because the Inn side quiet pool is oftentimes our own private pool. I am not a fan of the studio bathrooms (claustrophic and dark), but otherwise I am on board with this resort. Walking to Epcot and DHS is also a major plus.​
Swan & Dolphin - I have honestly been missing my stays here and may have to find some time to fit them back into the rotation. The only difficult part is the noticeable difference in walking from Epcot at the end of the night (and we are not getting any younger) when compared to BC/BCV and BWI/BWV. Then there is that little non-Disney bus situation. . . We still walk over and visit these resorts during our stays.​
Polynesian - If this resort was located within walking distance of Epot--it would still be my favorite. There are so many happy family memories of our stays from 1994 - 2010. :love: We just can't justify staying in the MK area when we spend so little time at MK and so much more at Epcot and DHS. I would, however, not turn down a stay at my beloved Polynesian for the right price.​

Did I miss any resorts? :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter