• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why doesn't DHS add value during refurb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually see it differently. I would never buy hoppers unless I would use them throughout the trip. I would skip a park if there just was not enough to keep my family occupies enough to justify using a day's pass.

You know, I understand. I really do. I just do not see that your ide is logistically possible. First, the "extras" may not appeal to everyone, so they are without value.

I really need to ask why you are disappointed already? It is impossible to manage to do everything, and I certainly would not place a dinner ADR before a show that my family wanted to see. I would get rid of 'Ohana, and spend the time in the park so you could enjoy what it has to offer, and make your dinner ADR near DHS. Some of our best meals have occurred because we needed to make changes in the "old standby plans" were used to.

When there has been construction that I felt would detract form our trip we just skipped that park or area. I do not care for congestion so I did not schedule DS during construction and we also skipped DAK. I had no buyers remorse.
Honestly, I am not someone who needs perfection. I am not at all a type A personality. None of the things that, yes I am a bit disapointed about, will ruin our trip.

We decided to take this trip bc my husband and oldest son never wanted to go, but with him away at collage and my younger son being 9, the scales have shifted. My husband and son are by no means disneyfiles or Star Wars buffs, but there were a few things they wanted to do: Pandora, Ohana, and Star Wars fireworks. I had already told them we were doing those things bc at the time, we were.

My husband is already less then thrilled about dishing out thousands of dollars for this trip and driving 10 hours bc he does not fly. Then, when every announcement we hear is about closures and construction it doesn't help.

I don't have a problem with renovation and additions, and I am glad Disney is always innovating and keeping things new and fresh for return guests. I do think that sometimes those who get to go multiple times can forget that not everyone has that lugsury and what they get on their trip is what they get. I am not suggesting you feel that way, but so many comments have suggested postponing or just coming back and that just isn't an option for us or lots of other guests.

Honestly, I am not someone who needs perfection. I am not at all a type A personality. None of the things that, yes I am a bit disapointed about, will ruin our trip.

We decided to take this trip bc my husband and oldest son never wanted to go, but with him away at collage and my younger son being 9, the scales have shifted. My husband and son are by no means disneyfiles or Star Wars buffs, but there were a few things they wanted to do: Pandora, Ohana, and Star Wars fireworks. I had already told them we were doing those things bc at the time, we were.

My husband is already less then thrilled about dishing out thousands of dollars for this trip and driving 10 hours bc he does not fly. Then, when every announcement we hear is about closures and construction it doesn't help.

I don't have a problem with renovation and additions, and I am glad Disney is always innovating and keeping things new and fresh for return guests. I do think that sometimes those who get to go multiple times can forget that not everyone has that lugsury and what they get on their trip is what they get. I am not suggesting you feel that way, but so many comments have suggested postponing or just coming back and that just isn't an option for us or lots of other guests.

I think that on any given trip to Disney there are going to be things that can be disappointin, and I always caution people to look at the entire trip, and to avoid placing too much emphasis on any one thing. You know ahead of time that you have to make some decisions in terms of where your priority is, and while that may leave a bit of a sting, it is a Disney reality. There simply is too much to do in a limited period of time, and even if you were able to make the plan work, you might be faced with an unexpected closure, etc.

I know that since you are making a much anticipated trip you want to add in the things you looked forward to, but please try not to let one or two pitfalls define the trip. I know that this will not make you feel better, but I think that 'Ohana is one of the most overrated restaurants onsite. Our last vist was a horror story. I would suggest that since the Boardwalk is within walking distance from DHS< look at the restaurants there. Thre are some really good ones and you can then work in a little more DHS time.

You may want to reassess your decision.

You attended the first version of the SW dessert party which started a little over a year and a half ago and took place outdoors at Center Stage. The show at that time was Symphony in the Stars. As you know, the souvenir gift was a Chewbacca stein.

It sounds like you also attended the party after June of 2016 when it moved indoors to the Launch Bay and is centered around Star Wars a Galactic Spectacular. The Chewy stein was originally the souvenir gift but later changed to a TIE fighter pop corn holder. But if you want a bunch of those you'll have to come before the end of the year.

Actually the first time was during Star Wars Weekends the last year, so no Chewie stein then, maybe R2D2. We got a bunch of stuff but I don't remember what all exactly. Went February of 2016 & again this past May. I heard they recently changed the gift but didn't know what it was. Just how am I supposed to get a Tie Fighter Popcorn bucket home? It was bad enough having to make room to take Chewie on the EBTA Cruise (actually the cruise wasn't really the problem) & then fly home from Denmark via Iceland. Personally I thought Symphony in the Stars was better than SWAGS but I love the dessert party. I'll be trying out the Frozen illuminations & HEA Plaza Viewing during my trip at the end of Sept. - beginning of Oct. as well as the Sleepy Hollow thing at Fort Wilderness. Still trying to decide if I'll add anything to the November F & W trip but am seriously considering JBJB.

Update- we went and had a terrific time and HS was our favorite park even with so much missing back in 2018 but we went in 2021 and it was a totally different experience. We had not planned to ever return and we were actually just in the area for a cruise so we added 1 day to return to HS because of all the things that were under construction on our WDW vacation were completed. There was definatly more value in the price of admission. I think that WDW is always under construction so if someone is waiting to go until it's finished, they will never go bc it was always intended to grow, change, and be a work in progress. BUT especially after having gone during a major growth/construction and after, I am back to my original opinion that when a park has so much unavailability, Disney could add a little magic to balance things out.

Update- We went to HS is 2017 and it was our favorite park. My family loved Hollywood Tower or Terror. I did rearrange some things and use my park hopper to see all the shows since the one we wanted to see on our HS park day was moved. Even with both major construction projects underway, the park was still beautiful and fun.

We returned to Orlando in 2021 for our first DCL cruise on the Dream. We had time for 1 park day and chose HS since 1/2 the park was under construction while we were there. We absolutly loved both the Starwars and Toy Story areas and couldn't belive so much of the park had been missing in 2017. Definatly still our favorite WDW park.

As far as adding value during construction, I still feel like that is sort of valid. Now I get that it's a matter of should vs need to. Disney seems to focus on one park at a time for major projects. That makes sense so that all of WDW isn't a mess at the same time. Ticket prices stay the same or often increase but guest get far less of an experience during major projects. There are small things like adding some character meets or extending some time. They could really do any little thing to make people not feel like they are missing out but they don't need to. Any added value for guests costs $ they don't need to spend bc there is still high demand for all parks even during construction. If people feel they are missing out, they don't skip that park in favor of Universal, they do exactly what we did. Even though it was a "Once in a lifetime trip", the next time we were in Orlando, we came back for the lands we "missed" last time. They bring people back to experience what they missed out on last time. I still think they should add value but understand why they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter