• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wilderness Lodge or SSR Treehouse Villa

Jaxy0408

Earning My Ears
So we a re going for a split trip at end of August. Me, wife, two kids (13,10) and two other adults. Right now we are booked Wed-Sun at 2-bedroom Wilderness Lodge. Thinking of switching over to SSR Treehouse Villa due to construction. For the last three years we stayed at BLT, so we were up for something different and doing universal (first time) the first half of trip is going to make this more of a relaxing vacation when we hit disney.

We never stayed at Wilderness Lodge and I am worried about construction. Been to SSR but never to treehouse villas.

Concerns:
Wilderness: construction, noise and transportation
SSR Treehouse: walking distance to everything

Any input would be great
Thanks in advance
Jim

I suppose it will boil down to whether some obvious construction matters would bother your experience. We were at VWL in late February in a 1BR and loved it. Granted, VWL is our home resort; however, we still enjoyed the overall ambiance and the convenience to MK and other areas. Yes, you'll see fences, and some areas are closed (Hidden Springs pool/hot tub are gone; the beach is closed and being built upon; nature trail is also unavailable), but the main lobby is still awesome; the restaurants are still open; the majestic music still plays; the lanterns still flicker; the bike trail to FW is still there; the boats still run to CR, MK, and FW. We didn't feel the noise was an issue as inside the room it wasn't terribly noticeable, and we were gone most of the day, anyway. The work doesn't start until 8 and is done NLT 5. No work was done on the weekend. Still, some people don't want to be around any construction whatsoever, and if that's the case, then VWL might not be a good choice. One other thing we found (which has been echoed by several others on various threads) is that there aren't nearly so many people at WL and VWL due to the construction which made it seem far less crowded. Personally, I like the location of VWL and the ambiance both of which trump THV; however, the latter would likely be a bit quieter, if more removed, than VWL/WL. Best of luck deciding!

I love the layout and isolation of the treehouses. But it's not walking distance to anything. Even the SSR main building is a bit far. Get a car if you stay at a treehouse. And request one near the pool so you can walk to the main building and use the grandstand bus stop to get to Magic Kingdom rather than take the treehouse shuttle.

I've never stayed at VWL. But I love how little the treehouses feel like hotel rooms.

Bruce

Seems like a good time to try the Treehouses. :) We've only stayed there once but I look forward to going back. We did have refillable mugs which weren't very convenient but the bus runs very frequently between THV and the Springs stop and it's a nice walk over there too.

We loved the tree houses when we stayed there a few years ago!
I think "walking distance" is relative as we walked everywhere from there (even Disney Springs!) and loved it. (We did request and get a tree house very near the walking path to the main resort, which helped). We also had a rental car for going off resort which we were able to park right at the tree house. That being said, we've never stayed at the Wilderness Lodge Villas, just the main hotel. I'd still choose SSR though because of all the awesome pools and various activities, but that's just me ;)

We stayed at a treehouse in 2014 and of all the places we've stayed that was our favorite! IMO it is a little far to be walking though.

IMO, it will be easier to get in and out of the THV to go to Universal than it will for the WL. I've read that the THV leisure pool is often empty - if you are assigned to a nearby villa, it might be like having your own private pool. :)

The 5 of us were there a few years back. They were huge. It was a terrible waste of space for 5 people, but they were beautiful and very clean. We thought they were worth a try, but wouldn't do it again unless there we had a friend or two of the kids going. They were far away from the main area. We would rather use the points tomstay another day or two.

The WL is my favorite resort.

My personal preference would be to stay at VWL even with the construction. We actually enjoyed watching the transformation on a daily basis from our balcony. I can't wait for our return - in December - to see the progress. I'll request a lake side room.

Lots of people are saying the VWL construction is not bothersome at all. We visited a couple of weeks ago and didn't hear the noise at all.

I would definitely stay at VWL. I am booked the last week in July, and I am looking forward to the boat ride to MK. We stayed at WL in December and heard no construction noise...but we spent the entire day at the park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter