Will Fantasy Dry Dock Fix Aft Vibration Issues?

The recent Wonder dry dock, which was the most important in cruising industry according to the cruise director, certainly didn't address the problem on that ship. On our recent cruise, they moved a family from a concierge suite because the light fixture was rattling so much nobody could sleep in there. There's a video of it on YouTube.

Why was it considered the most important in cruising industry?

I've read about the severe vibrations (not just the typical docking vibrations) in multiple Fantasy stateroom reports throughout the aft area of the ship.

Here are just a few stateroom review links describing severe vibration in various aft rooms of the Fantasy (make sure you focus on the reviews for the Fantasy, not the other ships):

Deck 6, Starboard: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/roomreport.cfm?Room=6680

Deck 5, Port Side: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/roomreport.cfm?Room=5164

Deck 9, Port Side: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/roomreport.cfm?Room=9176

Deck 9, Starboard: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/roomreport.cfm?Room=9674

I have read many more such reports for other aft staterooms, and I hope DCL chooses to fix this problem.
We were in 9632 Fantasy this past September and it was pretty bad. (I wrote a review for wdwinfo ) We're going again this September but decided to go Midship to avoid the possibility of having the same experience. I hope they address it during the dry dock too :)

Does anyone know what is planned for the dry dock? Thanks!

Maybe missed something here, but which rooms in Aft is everyone talking about? Pretty much all of Aft or a few along the back area?
We felt it (badly) in our 10612 room starboard aft, below Cabanas entrance), and, while less, it was still noticeable in our 9098 room midship portside.

I think it's because they modified part of the structure on deck 9, plus all the remodelling and replacements they usually do during a dry-dock. When you look at the complete list of the changes, something I saw in the online survey I received after sailing, it's true that the list is extensive. It might also be corporate exaggeration.

Does the Dream have the same vibration issue?
The Dream reportedly does not share the vibration issue. Stateroom reviews (see my post listing examples above) describe severe vibrations in certain rooms on the Fantasy, but reviews of those same staterooms on the Dream do not complain of extreme vibration.

I know it was the biggest in relation to the amount of crew members and vendors working it. And also the longest in relation to the amount of time in dry dock for the size of the ship.
IMO, most important would depend on who you asked, and what they view as important for what gets done during dry dock.

We sailed in 9652 on the Fantasy last summer and experienced vibration like we never have on any of our other 17 Disney cruises. it wasn't horrible but it wasn't pleasant either.

Does the Dream have the same vibration issue? Does anyone know when the Fantasy will be in drydock? The one and only time I sailed on the Fantasy it vibrated like a jack-hammer! Guest Services said it was the worst they have ever felt it. DH and I were told it was from the propulsion. They ended up moving us to mid-ship and it was much better. I've cruise on the Wonder several times mainly aft and have never had a problem with vibrations like that.

As far as I know no. At least not that has been reported. Its not uncommon for ships of the same class and builders to have 1 that has issues pop up and the others are perfectly fine.

I don't think I would consider it the most important in the industry. Maybe in DCLs fleet but no the industry. And even the amount of contractors working on it, I'm not 100% sure it was the most. RCLs enchantment of the Seas was lengthened by 73 feet over 2 months along with her normal upgrades and enhancements, and inspections. just to cut the hull alone into 2 separate pieces took 6 days. Enchantment when built 2 years before the Wonder was about 50 foot shorter and is now 25 feet longer. And the weights between the ships is comparable.

Last edited:
I don't think I would consider it the most important in the industry. Maybe in DCLs fleet but no the industry. And even the amount of contractors working on it, I'm not 100% sure it was the most. RCLs Independence of the Seas was lengthened by 73 over 2 months along with her normal upgrades and enhancements, and inspections. just to cut the hull alone into 2 separate pieces took 6 days.

Why would they lengthen it? It would seem to me the cost in something like that would far outweigh whatever gains they could possibly get.

Why would they lengthen it? It would seem to me the cost in something like that would far outweigh whatever gains they could possibly get.

From want I read, it was supposed to be a cheaper alternative to add rooms to a fleet compared to a new build. At the time I think the price was like 100 million to do it compared to 500 for a new build. By the time they were done the total was over the mark and that was the only Vision class ship and last RCL ship to be lengthened.

From want I read, it was supposed to be a cheaper alternative to add rooms to a fleet compared to a new build. At the time I think the price was like 100 million to do it compared to 500 for a new build. By the time they were done the total was over the mark and that was the only Vision class ship and last RCL ship to be lengthened.

So basically, they erred and made a bad decision?

So basically, they erred and made a bad decision?
I wouldn't say erred or bad decision. The plan was to do all of the Vision class. MSC I think is lengthening 4 of their ships this year. I think what RCCL budgeted and what it actually cost vs a new ship may have been off by unforseen issues. Add in there's only a handful of yards that could do it and there schedules, and it may have become problematic at best. From what I understand the new block was built some where else and shipped by barge to the yard the ship was in. Then it was placed where it was supposed to be next to the ship and the ship cut in half while the dock was dry. Then the bow was pulled forward and the block slid into place and everything rewelded. It only worked because the dock was wide enough for basically 2 ships to sit side by side. Freeport for example can't do it. There's only maybe 3 non military yards with docks that big to handle the size requirments.

I wouldn't say erred or bad decision. The plan was to do all of the Vision class. MSC I think is lengthening 4 of their ships this year. I think what RCCL budgeted and what it actually cost vs a new ship may have been off by unforseen issues. Add in there's only a handful of yards that could do it and there schedules, and it may have become problematic at best. From what I understand the new block was built some where else and shipped by barge to the yard the ship was in. Then it was placed where it was supposed to be next to the ship and the ship cut in half while the dock was dry. Then the bow was pulled forward and the block slid into place and everything rewelded. It only worked because the dock was wide enough for basically 2 ships to sit side by side. Freeport for example can't do it. There's only maybe 3 non military yards with docks that big to handle the size requirments.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Just returned yesterday from the Fantasy, aft room 5650. Vibrations in the room at night probably 3 out of 7 nights. Things were 'creaking' and such. Heard some bangs (could be unrelated). Never felt like we were in a vibrating bed, though.

Just returned yesterday from the Fantasy, aft room 5650. Vibrations in the room at night probably 3 out of 7 nights. Things were 'creaking' and such. Heard some bangs (could be unrelated). Never felt like we were in a vibrating bed, though.
The problem is not the vibration itself. I kinda like it actually - I also like rough seas when the waves are so high you feel the ship hang in the air after passing each one. The problem is from the repetitive creaking from the ceiling in the stateroom. When you hear a loud noise every five seconds, it makes it hard to fall asleep. You cannot not hear it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter