Will Fantasy Dry Dock Fix Aft Vibration Issues?

From want I read, it was supposed to be a cheaper alternative to add rooms to a fleet compared to a new build. At the time I think the price was like 100 million to do it compared to 500 for a new build. By the time they were done the total was over the mark and that was the only Vision class ship and last RCL ship to be lengthened.
There's a video showing the extension of the Enchantment

There's a video showing the extension of the Enchantment

Ive seen that video before. Its still cool to watch how something that big can be made to move on land. When the Magic was built, both parts were floating in the closed drydock. Its an impressive feat no matter how you look at it.

Being a light sleeper, I guess I'll make sure to bring ear plugs for our Fantasy cruise in March (Rm#7678). Hopefully it won't be too bad. We've only cruised on the Magic, in a mid-ship room. I got woken up by hammering type noise in the middle of then night, called to complain. It was immediately stopped and the next day when we got back to our room, we had a complementary bottle of wine and our daughters had each had a stuffed toy, along with a note apologizing for the inconvenience.

Oh great am in room 8666 next week. Do u think I'll have any issues :(
We were in 8656 in October. We were first time cruisers so I can't really compare but we really only noticed vibration when the thrusters were used and it didn't bother us we just noticed it. We had some rough seas and the top bunk (which we didn't use) was rattling. I asked our stateroom host about it and he immediately unlocked it which totally stopped the rattle. It must have a secondary lock or latch because I couldn't pull it down to check it out. I was concerned too after reading so much on here about how bad it is but it really didn't bother me. I even had to just ask my wife if we had vibrations because I couldn't remember. If it was bad, I would have remembered.

We were in 8656 in October. We were first time cruisers so I can't really compare but we really only noticed vibration when the thrusters were used and it didn't bother us we just noticed it. We had some rough seas and the top bunk (which we didn't use) was rattling. I asked our stateroom host about it and he immediately unlocked it which totally stopped the rattle. It must have a secondary lock or latch because I couldn't pull it down to check it out. I was concerned too after reading so much on here about how bad it is but it really didn't bother me. I even had to just ask my wife if we had vibrations because I couldn't remember. If it was bad, I would have remembered.

Ah well hopefully won't be to bad then

Can the western carribean have some rough seas at start of Feb

I no that no one can tell but I just mean from recent years in Feb

The Dream reportedly does not share the vibration issue.

Is it possible that this is because the Dream never needs to go as fast as the Fantasy, given its limited Port Canaveral / Nassau / Castaway Cay itineraries?

yet one of the area where the biggest complaints are when Fantasy makes its run from Castaway Cay and Port Canaveral. They go at a pretty good clip getting back to PC.

Just did B2B on a Fantasy, did not really feel anything a Palo brunch, but do know one of the stabilizers sustained some minor damage during hurricane Sandy.. Will be fixed when she is in dry dock

Hopefully the vibration issue will be fixed.

Martin

yet one of the area where the biggest complaints are when Fantasy makes its run from Castaway Cay and Port Canaveral. They go at a pretty good clip getting back to PC.
so you are saying that people are complaining about something on the ship on the last night of the cruise? That is shocking.

so you are saying that people are complaining about something on the ship on the last night of the cruise? That is shocking.
When we took our Fantasy B2B, all the nights that the ship was doing 20+ knots there was the bad vibration. Yes, I liken it to those cheap motel vibrating beds. You couldn't sit on the bed (head against the headboard) to watch TV or read it was so bad. And in Animator's Palate it was so bad that there were several water glasses that "danced" right off the tables.

It was more than just the last night. There were several nights on the Eastern cruise and at least 2 nights on the Western itinerary that the vibrations were extremely evident.

When we took our Fantasy B2B, all the nights that the ship was doing 20+ knots there was the bad vibration. Yes, I liken it to those cheap motel vibrating beds. You couldn't sit on the bed (head against the headboard) to watch TV or read it was so bad. And in Animator's Palate it was so bad that there were several water glasses that "danced" right off the tables.

It was more than just the last night. There were several nights on the Eastern cruise and at least 2 nights on the Western itinerary that the vibrations were extremely evident.
I understand there is a real problem - i was just commenting that "the biggest complaints" occur on the last night, as the cruise is ending, and many folks would like to try and figure out ways to "get something back" if their cruise is somehow lessened. I should have added tongue firmly planted in cheek to my response. sorry.

I understand there is a real problem - i was just commenting that "the biggest complaints" occur on the last night, as the cruise is ending, and many folks would like to try and figure out ways to "get something back" if their cruise is somehow lessened. I should have added tongue firmly planted in cheek to my response. sorry.

I will say that is also the day the comment cards come out. When people try to honestly answer what they want to know.

If you paid x amount you would complain as well possibly. Things can happen at any moment.

JW

another possible difference between the Dream and Fantasy regarding the vibrations...

I know that the Fantasy got hammered pretty badly during Sandy. Has the Dream experienced a beating like that?

All I know is that despite the apparent issue, it has not prevented Disney from selling out the staterooms on most of the Fantasy cruises. If it were enough of an issue where people were not booking rooms aft and at full price, I am sure a Disney would have tried to address sooner than this dry dock.

All I know is that despite the apparent issue, it has not prevented Disney from selling out the staterooms on most of the Fantasy cruises. If it were enough of an issue where people were not booking rooms aft and at full price, I am sure a Disney would have tried to address sooner than this dry dock.
Not as long as they call fill the rooms with last minute discounts/CM rates/FL rates.

Is it possible that this is because the Dream never needs to go as fast as the Fantasy, given its limited Port Canaveral / Nassau / Castaway Cay itineraries?
No not at all. Any ship that goes to CC and returns to Port Canaveral, has to make a speed run. I want to say its like 200 miles from pier to pier, with the ships arriving between 530 and 6 am. That gives them around 12 hours to get back in. Not counting the time it takes to slow coming in to the sea buoy, picking up the pilot, transiting the channel and mooring.
I just figured in my head that the Dream will do her max speed roughly the same amount of time that the Fantasy does during the course of 1 week.

I'm so glad to hear this from a trusted source. I was contemplating two (obstructed view) aft verandas as they are the same price as a forward/mid veranda and an inside. Don't think I'll risk it now.....

So, after this discussion....do we have any idea if this will be addressed, or if it is unfixable?

So, after this discussion....do we have any idea if this will be addressed, or if it is unfixable?

Haven't you learned?

Nothing "is unfixable" with a Disney budget. lol.

And everything is addressed, especially a vibrating $1.4 billion ship, that generates $3-5 million a week.

Give it time. Be patient. Wait for drydock in spring 2017.

I think one blade (propeller) is out of balance. It could be one blade on the propeller.
Or more blades on the propeller.
That would be the good news.

It is repairable in drydock, with time.

Unless it's a bent shaft of course. .... eek.
From Sandy. :duck:

Last edited:

Id say that there is a 90% chance the issue will be resolved. Theres still a very slim chance that the issue will take more then the 5 week drydock time the Fantasy will get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter