Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend 2023 (Nov. 2-5, 2023)

We have only been watching since 2019, but is the fastest I recall. The 10k has always gone fast, but the challenge and half I recall lasting days or even weeks in the past. Last year party tickets sold out by the Friday before. That was the first time I ever saw that happen in my limited experience.
Back when it was a night race, it had a few years (2013-16) the Half Marathon sold out in under an hour. if I remember correctly. Then when They added the challenge, that spiked it again.

Hey all!

Long time since I was on these boards, but I managed to snag a HM W&D entry randomly whilst on vacation in Mauritus (I know, spoilt). Had tried for DL earlier this year and failed, saw the post on IG and clicked the link. Went right through, bought the HM. And that was that... I couldn't believe 'how easy' it was (little did I know what you were all going through in the queues earlier).

Only recently got into running races. Completed two HMs in the last 6 weeks and have another 6th May (I am based in the UK). Can't wait for this! Looks like it might be a solo trip for me, but as I was last in DW at Christmas 2019 it is time to get back! :)

Sorry, one question: does anyone actually 'race' the runs? Or is it more an experience and worth taking your time over?

Sorry, one question: does anyone actually 'race' the runs? Or is it more an experience and worth taking your time over?
I PR in fun! I don't worry about paces or times. That's not what I'm there for. I take my time. Run the way I want or am able to. The only reason I worry about pace in any way is to make sure I have a buffer to stop when I want to for pics or characters

I set a “PR” at the Springtime 10K on Saturday by running both my fastest and slowest Disney 10K—my actual moving time was the fastest I’ve ever run a Disney 10K (still 10 minutes slower than my real 10K PR), but my actual time on course was the longest I’ve ever spent 😄😄

I set a “PR” at the Springtime 10K on Saturday by running both my fastest and slowest Disney 10K—my actual moving time was the fastest I’ve ever run a Disney 10K (still 10 minutes slower than my real 10K PR), but my actual time on course was the longest I’ve ever spent 😄😄
This is one of the reasons I wanted a watch that would track moving time separately. :D

This is one of the reasons I wanted a watch that would track moving time separately. :D
Yeah, I just pause my Apple Watch when I get the character lines and unpause when I get moving again. Depending on the direction of the line, I sometimes end up with small gaps in the route, or small overlaps, but it all balances out in the end.
7C9FB2F5-26D4-4608-9913-F0E39DD83DB6.jpeg

Your call. For Springtime Surprise I decided to run harder for the 5k and 10k, just wanted to see how I would do (ended up unofficially PRing the 5k, which was untimed, and did well in the 10k). Took it easier for the 10 miler for the character stops and also it was getting really hot. Since this is your first time I'd recommend the latter option, take it all in.

This is 100% up to you and how you want your race to go. There will be people out there to set PRs on flat and fast courses and there will be people out there looking to take pictures with all the characters and soak in all the ambience setting PWs in the process.

Wine and Dine is my favorite weekends to race. Generally by November the weather is perfect compared with other weekends (except for 2022, which was the most miserable half I’ve ever run). Marathon weekend has unpredictable weather, and I usually try to take easy for the Dopey. Princess can be crowded starting out, and by that time of year Florida humidity is creeping up. Springtime races are so humid you don’t need to bring hydration since you can just drink the air. I fear they are going to stick with the W&D course map from 2022, which is a shame because I think the previous map is the best of all the weekends.

I’ve searched but so much stuff is coming up that it’s hard to sort. What are the approximate corral (or whatever they will call it) wave start times?

I’ve searched but so much stuff is coming up that it’s hard to sort. What are the approximate corral (or whatever they will call it) wave start times?
I don’t think that info is readily available, would need people to report their own start times from past races here. I can tell you that in Group B for Springtime Surprise, I started all my races between 5:10-5:15. That group was the first non-POT corral for this race weekend and also included CrD folks.

I don’t think that info is readily available, would need people to report their own start times from past races here. I can tell you that in Group B for Springtime Surprise, I started all my races between 5:10-5:15. That group was the first non-POT corral for this race weekend and also included CrD folks.
Thank you! That explains why I can’t find the info!!! I have met the POT requirements but my sister hasn’t. She’s worried we won’t have time to stop for pictures so I was trying to guess how long we will have depending on where we start.

Thank you! That explains why I can’t find the info!!! I have met the POT requirements but my sister hasn’t. She’s worried we won’t have time to stop for pictures so I was trying to guess how long we will have depending on where we start.
What corral does she expect to be in?

I said we’d finish in whatever was the first time you don’t have to prove, which was based on her recent half time.

These images are from the 2022 Wine and Dine HM courtesy of other posters on Facebook.

Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 8.16.06 AM.png

The Pacers started at:

A (1:45) - 9 seconds after gun
B (2:00) - 4 min after gun
C (2:15) - 13 min after gun
D (2:30) - 32 min after gun
D (2:40) - 33 min after gun
D (2:50) - 36 min after gun
E (3:00) - 45 min after gun
E (3:10) - 48 min after gun
E (3:20) - 51 min after gun
E (3:30) - 52 min after gun
Balloon Ladies - 53 min after gun

Using the image below, you can see the mini-waves used to distribute the runners and compare that to the pacer gun time starts from above.

Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 8.16.45 AM.png

The current POT setup runDisney appears to be using is the following:

screen-shot-2023-01-12-at-8-21-29-am-png.731439

The fastest non-POT selectable time is 2:15-2:30. So, your runner would likely be slotted in the 13-30 min from gun time slot. If your runner gets to the corral early, and gets to the front of the corrals, then they will be more like a POT runner with a 13 min gun time start. If your runner gets to the corral late, and gets towards the back of the corral, then they will start the race later around 30 min from gun time. In the 2022 Wine and Dine race, the balloon ladies started at 53 min from gun time. So the early non-POT runner gets an extra 40 min on course above the 16 min/mile cutoff (53-13 min). The late non-POT runner in the first corral gets an extra 23 min on course above the 16 min/mile cutoff (53-30 min).

Let me know if that helps!

Garmin Connect does this automatically. On a run yesterday I had to wait for a car to pass to cross a road. That 3 seconds of non-moving time showed up:

View attachment 761062
This feature comes in handy if you run somewhere with many intersections and loooong streetlight cycles. Like when I do 20+ milers and spend an extra 45 MINUTES in auto-pause time waiting for lights to change - not an exaggeration! It was really helpful for me to know how much total time I was actually on my feet, since that time isn’t counted in the running/walking time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter