Wine & Dine 1/2 marathon weekend 2021

I’m bib 225xx in S3 with 2-2:15 finish time for the half and 8-10 pace for the 10k

This is an interesting one since it bucks a trend of 2:00-2:15 runners in s2. It'll be interesting to hear from @EveV because they also have a 225xx with estimated 2:00-2:15. And whether they're in s2 or s3.

I’m late on this but I’ve got 21xxx - a low 21xxx - for the challenge and s2. Not CrD, no PoT. I did probably select the first estimated finish that didn’t require PoT, but that’s always put me pretty far back in the past.

That makes sense. In the recent past, the fastest non-POT was 2:45-3:00. So with a normal POT distribution, that would put you at no higher than 43% of the field, and no lower than 70% of the field. But with the change in POT requirements from 2:45 down to 2:00, now the fastest non-POT has shifted to 2:00. That means there are only ~12% of the field ahead of you. So that explains why you have a low number because despite choosing the first non-POT in 2021 like you've done prior the requirement moved up in actual estimate pushing you further forward in the field.

DW and I had high 43xxx and high 44xxx both in s2 for 5K
I have high 20xxx in s2 for challenge. No POT

Do you know what your estimated paces were for the 5k at registration? And I'm assuming your challenge estimation was 2:00-2:15, is that right?

Do we know if they’re releasing each of the start groups at once, or if they’re going to be subdivided somehow? In other words, just 4 starts for the half, s1, s2, s3, and s4? Or will there be subdivisions in start groups? If there are subdivisions, how will they work?

Or will there be subdivisions in start groups? If there are subdivisions, how will they work?

Like @1lilspark said, mini-waves.

To expand on that, let's say 4 runners are assigned to s1. One arrives to the starting group holding area at 4:00am and walks to the front of the s1 "corral". The second arrives at 4:15am and is in the middle of the "corral". A third runner arrives at 4:25am and is at the back of the "corral". A fourth runners arrives at 4:25am as well, but pushes their way through the s1 corral and stands next to person #1. As a group (s1) all the runners will be walked up towards the starting line (usually 15-30 min prior to race start for s1), while the runners in s2, s3, and s4 will remain in the starting group collection area. There will be volunteers with starting tape that will break up s1 into mini-waves at some undetermined time (usually it's before the corral starts to move, but sometimes after it moves). It's an undetermined number of mini-waves in the totality of the race, but as an example the 2018 marathon had 25 mini-waves in 8 total corrals. So runner 1 and 4 will likely be in the first wave of s1. Runner 2 will be in the second wave. Runner 3 in the third wave. All were assigned s1, but none were assigned a specific mini-wave (dictated partially by arrival time and partially by where you're standing in the corral when they start breaking things up). They will release the first wave of s1 at 5:00am. Typically the next wave will leave in about 2-3 min after the wave prior. Generally speaking all of the runners in wave 1 will have left 30-60 sec before they even consider releasing wave 2 of s1. The timing of these things is a bit squishy and tends to be dictated by the rate of runners leaving. So I would anticipate that if s1 does contain about 10-12% of the field, it will take about 10-12% of the allowable time to release. So if that's 60 min, then the total s1 field will be released in about 6 min. Maybe something like 3 mini-waves released in 2 min intervals. Whereas let's say in theory s2 has 40% of the field. It will be released over the course of 40% of the allowable 60 min timeframe. So something like 24 min for s2 to leave, and maybe it has 12 waves releasing every 2 min. The rate at which runners cross the starting line in s1, s2, s3, and s4 is fairly constant.

Hope that helps!

That's a general explanation of how mini-waves work. Some of the times and values used above were for the purpose of an example and non-specific to what may occur during the 2021 Wine and Dine HM.

I arrived this afternoon and it was raining pretty hard. Glad to hear it was a bit lighter for the 5k this morning and I hope the 10k-ers get lucky with the rain tomorrow morning! It's so exciting being back for a race weekend! Headed to the expo tomorrow morning!
ETA: I met the nicest folks at the YC tonight. I am traveling alone so I stopped by a lounge for dinner and ended up sitting with an older couple that was in town for a conference. We chatted for a while and at the end of it they bought me dinner and wish me luck on the race. They were both runners in former life, so we had quite a bit to talk about. People at Disney are so nice!

Last edited:
Like @1lilspark said, mini-waves.

To expand on that, let's say 4 runners are assigned to s1. One arrives to the starting group holding area at 4:00am and walks to the front of the s1 "corral". The second arrives at 4:15am and is in the middle of the "corral". A third runner arrives at 4:25am and is at the back of the "corral". A fourth runners arrives at 4:25am as well, but pushes their way through the s1 corral and stands next to person #1. As a group (s1) all the runners will be walked up towards the starting line (usually 15-30 min prior to race start for s1), while the runners in s2, s3, and s4 will remain in the starting group collection area. There will be volunteers with starting tape that will break up s1 into mini-waves at some undetermined time (usually it's before the corral starts to move, but sometimes after it moves). It's an undetermined number of mini-waves in the totality of the race, but as an example the 2018 marathon had 25 mini-waves in 8 total corrals. So runner 1 and 4 will likely be in the first wave of s1. Runner 2 will be in the second wave. Runner 3 in the third wave. All were assigned s1, but none were assigned a specific mini-wave (dictated partially by arrival time and partially by where you're standing in the corral when they start breaking things up). They will release the first wave of s1 at 5:00am. Typically the next wave will leave in about 2-3 min after the wave prior. Generally speaking all of the runners in wave 1 will have left 30-60 sec before they even consider releasing wave 2 of s1. The timing of these things is a bit squishy and tends to be dictated by the rate of runners leaving. So I would anticipate that if s1 does contain about 10-12% of the field, it will take about 10-12% of the allowable time to release. So if that's 60 min, then the total s1 field will be released in about 6 min. Maybe something like 3 mini-waves released in 2 min intervals. Whereas let's say in theory s2 has 40% of the field. It will be released over the course of 40% of the allowable 60 min timeframe. So something like 24 min for s2 to leave, and maybe it has 12 waves releasing every 2 min. The rate at which runners cross the starting line in s1, s2, s3, and s4 is fairly constant.

Hope that helps!

That's a general explanation of how mini-waves work. Some of the times and values used above were for the purpose of an example and non-specific to what may occur during the 2021 Wine and Dine HM.
Thanks. This is all coming back to me now. I have a “thing” that I always like to be on the far left side of a corral at the start.

10K done! Characters I saw: Maleficient or Evil Queen (I'm not sure: very distanced), Jack Skellington, Oogey Boogey (spelling?), Wicked Witch, and Governor Ratcliffe. I only saw one abandoned stop and based on the flames, I'd guess Hades.

Did anyone see others?

The stop with the flame was Hades. I also saw the Big Bad Wolf at the entrance to the Epcot IG and the Bowler Hat Guy(?) from Meet the Robinsons inside Epcot. My ID of the last one is far from certain.

10K done! Characters I saw: Maleficient or Evil Queen (I'm not sure: very distanced), Jack Skellington, Oogey Boogey (spelling?), Wicked Witch, and Governor Ratcliffe. I only saw one abandoned stop and based on the flames, I'd guess Hades.

Did anyone see others?
Only ones we saw were maleficent at a distance & Jack , oggie boogie ,big bad Wolf, bowler hat as meets and pirate goofy on finish arch

i

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter