• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

With new DTD Security when do GCH do security?

bethwc101

DIS Veteran
With the pushed back security for DTD back towards ESPN zone, where do Grand Californian guests go through security?

The entrance to DTD, just next to Anna/Elsa's (or whatever it's been replaced with).

It's practically seamless to me. Security is in the GCH's side entrance to DtD, meaning it's in the walkway where guests exit GCH & enter DtD.

It's wonderful. It happens when you walk out of the hotel into downtown Disney or into DCA. The longest line I've ever had at the downtown Disney security was about 4 people ahead of me.

It's wonderful. It happens when you walk out of the hotel into downtown Disney or into DCA. The longest line I've ever had at the downtown Disney security was about 4 people ahead of me.

I think that was part of the reason they now block people from entering GCH through the fromt door unless you are a registered guess or dining reservation. Before that line could get long from PPH guests and from offpark hotels etc.

Anybody know how strict they are about letting non GCH guests go through the hotel to get to the parks? We're staying there but our friends are staying at Paradise Pier. We plan to have breakfast together a couple of times at DTD and will be touring the parks together. It would be very convenient if they could come to meet us at GCH and we all go through together. If not, it kind of negates some of the benefits of staying at GCH for us (not that it's terribly far if we have to go around; I'm used to WDW and having to plan at least 1 hour from resort to breakfast/park plus some walking time).

Anybody know how strict they are about letting non GCH guests go through the hotel to get to the parks? We're staying there but our friends are staying at Paradise Pier. We plan to have breakfast together a couple of times at DTD and will be touring the parks together. It would be very convenient if they could come to meet us at GCH and we all go through together. If not, it kind of negates some of the benefits of staying at GCH for us (not that it's terribly far if we have to go around; I'm used to WDW and having to plan at least 1 hour from resort to breakfast/park plus some walking time).

All reports are they are very strict. I wouldn’t count on them being able to use it. That said, meeting up in DTD shouldn’t be too difficult. They’ll still come through security on the DTD side.

They are very strict about this, when leaving the PPH they will stop you before you cross the street and turn you around to go through the DTD security.

I had no idea about the bag check being pushed back into DTD. I'm curious, if we are heading to DTD for a meal and some shopping and not going the park, will we have to still go through the security? I think it is great that the security is pushed back, we were staying at GCH last June and we were in a very long line that snaked around a couple of times just so we could get into DCA one morning. Hopefully with this new security, the lines to both DCA and DL Park won't be too bad.

I had no idea about the bag check being pushed back into DTD. I'm curious, if we are heading to DTD for a meal and some shopping and not going the park, will we have to still go through the security? I think it is great that the security is pushed back, we were staying at GCH last June and we were in a very long line that snaked around a couple of times just so we could get into DCA one morning. Hopefully with this new security, the lines to both DCA and DL Park won't be too bad.

Yes, you will have to go through security even if you’re only hanging out in DTD.

In our experience, the line going from the GCH into DCA is still just as bad. I’d still recommend going through DTD and in through the main entrance.

Yep. Every time you enter DtD you'll go through security. But it's nothing like morning entry to DCA via GCH! We waited like 10-15 mins there on a Sat night and that seems to have been on the extreme end of security waits for that check point. The difference is they check people through at all times of the day guests are awake, while DCA didn't start until around park opening causing a long line of guests to get backed up in the meantime during mornings.

Yep. Every time you enter DtD you'll go through security. But it's nothing like morning entry to DCA via GCH! We waited like 10-15 mins there on a Sat night and that seems to have been on the extreme end of security waits for that check point. The difference is they check people through at all times of the day guests are awake, while DCA didn't start until around park opening causing a long line of guests to get backed up in the meantime during mornings.
For EE what time do they start checking people through GCH?

Can someone please confirm that anyone can enter GCH from DTD....just not from the street

For EE what time do they start checking people through GCH?
Idk but you have to think about security differently now that security is attached to DtD and not the parks. While DtD may not technically open until 7am according to the DL website, Starbucks is open at 5am- therefore security has to be open by 5am. Hopefully an early bird has stayed at GCH and can confirm this for you :)
ETA: ROFL- this might be completely irrelevant- did you mean the GCH DCA entrance or the GCH DtD entrance in your original q?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter