Wk of Feb 4--WISH Walking/Running Club

Sunny - I'm in tears from reading your story. You've been so brave through all of this :hug: If nothing else I'm thrilled that it seems like you found a DR that gives a darn. You are an athlete and it seems that she understands this. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: that the new meds help!!!!!

CAM - Congrats on that mile :cheer2: :cool1: :thumbsup2

Morning team! Just checking in--feeling much better today, but not 100% yet--we'll see about tomorrow. After my "mini-breakdown" yesterday, I got a wonderful email from my father (super-marathon man in his younger days). He gave me some more insight into marathon training and the demons that need to be conquered almost daily--and that unless you've been there, you'll never know what it takes. Here's a little excerpt:

"If you try and the illness keeps you from finishing the training run, all kinds of new demons will creep into you head. I so remember another instance when I had a little surgery and couldn't run for a week or so. Henry and I were out on a Saturday for a 20+ run just after I started back and I had to quit on him and tell him to go ahead. At that point I said running is over for me and I was demonized for a while.

I'm so proud of your effort at training. Only people who have trained for a marathon know what the pain and mental strain is all about. And you have the added responsibility of children during the day & night. It is tough to keep it all together. I think tears are good - sometimes I think they are God's mercy using the saltiness of the tears to fix the hurts we are experiencing.

You are loved and particullarly by this old Man "
If I can't get out tomorrow, he offered to get out on the trail with me (on his bike) and ride with me the 20 miles, so I won't be flying solo. We'll see

Cam--WTG!!!:banana: :banana: :woohoo: :woohoo: :banana: :banana:

Terri--Oh no at having to have the surgery.:hug: But great news on the dr. being able to do a surgery with less recovery time.

Sunny--I hope the Neurontin works for you. And it's great to hear that the dr. validated your thoughts on the Levaquin.

Angie--Congrats on your upcoming graduation!:cool1:

Susie--Good luck tomorrow! Wish I could be there as I love the Bona Dea race--but if I can get out tomorrow it will be 20 instead of 3.1!

Sending warm wishes to all those training in the bitter cold!!! Happy Training everyone!:goodvibes

Sunny - I'm so glad it seems like you found a Dr. who is considerate of your feelings and willing to look at everything to get you better. You have been through so much. I hope everything works out for you. :wizard:

I'm scheduled for surgery on March 1st. I have a (partially) torn achilles tendon. The Dr. described it as like a strand of rope that is unravelling.
I'm getting a brace on Tues. until the surgery. If all goes well, I'll be able to walk on it in about a month and hopefully start training by mid summer.

Terri

Good Morning TEAM:

I've been busy with my impending grant deadline, but I have been keeping up with my training - 4 miles on Wednesday and Thursday both on the TM @ 10 mpm pace. Yesterday I did a simulated "hill" workout, doing 6x 0.25 mile hills where I would ramp up the incline of the TM. That was a workout I tell you.

Anyhow, my real reason for posting was to briefly touch base with some of my teammates.

Cam- WTG on your 1 mile run! That is absolutely fantastic! I'm very proud of you.

Terri- Good luck with your surgery. I wish you all the best with it. Don't get too discouraged about not being able to run right now. You need to get yourself healthy.

Sunny- Wow, that was a great post. Thank you for sharing. I'm so glad you got a doctor who is seeming like she can help. It is so refreshing that they are taking time with you to understand the levaquin issues and the needs of you being an endurance athlete. Can I also say I'm so impressed with your recent workouts. You've already gotten back down to a 10 mpm pace. That is fantastic. Oh, I hope you get some medical help and relief soon. I'm WISHing you all the best.

OK, back to the grant.

Terri - sorry about the surgery! I'm glad it is the one w/ the quicker recovery time.

Sunny - It sounds like you found a good Dr.!!! I hope the meds work!!!! You've been doing incredible w/ your training!

Dave - Did you get your TM run done? I did have company yesterday for my run so, i enjoyed it!

Stephanie - your dad sounds great!!!! I'm glad to hear you are feeling better. Did you check out hogeye anymore? I already told one of my mean girl friends that we might get the priviledge of meeting you in april and that you might do mean girls half w/ us!

No running for me yesterday. I had a meeting with DD6's teacher, then the girls got a haircut, then it was so late we ended up going out to eat. I hope to do something tonight. I got a new balance ball for Christmas (mine was punctured last summer by my kids), so hopefully I can get in some toning exercises. Tomorrow I am on the committee for the Father/Daughter sweetheart dance at our YMCA and have to work set up and at the dance. I will be totally exhausted when I am done!!!

Sunny - I really hope this treatment works for you. How wonderful that she wants to keep you running.

Terri - Did your injury happen during the marathon or was it a previous injury? Pixie Dust that you have a speedy recovery!!!

Have a great day all!

Guess what? guess what? Guess what?

OMG! I am so psyched!

I RAN for a whole MILE!!! I have never done that in my life!! I couldn't even do it in high school for fitness testing! I started jogging at 4.0, really mild just to get a rhythm then kicked it up to 4.8 mph and finished a mile in 12:38!!! Interestingly, that is a bit slower than my fastest walk/run mile (which I think was 12:20), but I can live with that!
I did warmup 4.0 mph for 5 minutes (.33 mile), then ran THE mile starting at 4.0 then pushing it to 4.8. When I was done the mile (and not gasping for breath as much as I thought I'd be), I switched to 3.8 mph at 2.0 incline for 42 minutes and ran out the last 3+ to do another 3 in 45:18. So, 4.33 tonight total!

Okay, I know that is really confusing, but I'm psyched!

CAM!!!!!!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Congratulations!!!!!! I'm so proud of you.

(I promise to catch up with the rest of you later....promise... :thumbsup2 )

Kevin :earsboy:

Jen - That's the frustrating thing about it. I don't really know when it happened. I never heard a "pop" or felt a tear or anything. The first time I ever noticed it bothering me was on new Year's DAy. I had to work and when I got home, I was walking up my driveway and thought "gee, my foot hurts". Nothing severe, just an ache. I thought it was because I had standing on it for 4 hours. After that, it was just achy, nothing that I thought would be this serious. I'm sure trying to do the Goofy didn't help matters at all. When i got home from FLA. I went to my Pod. to have him check out the blisters and I mentioned the pain in my achilles area. As soon as he looked at it (it was swollen) and touched it, he said I ruptured it. We did the MRI and that verified it.
So that's where I'm at now. I don't like injuries period, but I really hate it when I get hurt and don't even know what caused it.:mad:

Terri

I forgot to set my alarm last night so I didn't get up until 6:10. Yikes! Ok, I'll XT tonight. Grrr. :rolleyes:

Cam - OMG! :banana: I am so impressed! :worship: You GO girl! :woohoo:

Bill - I don't know how you do it with a dog, but with a horse, well...it's...under the tail. Umm, yea. Most of them don't seem to mind though. Thank goodness. As the 100 Running Tips said, you don't want a hoof to the melon. Or anywhere else for that matter. Thanks for asking how she's doing. :goodvibes It's still infected although she is now done with the meds. So I'm watching it. It certainly hasn't affected her appetite, I can tell you that!

Oh Craig, nooo. We were just talking about where to stay next year and we thought we'd do the weekend at POFQ, then move to the Poly. Where's Sunny? She stays at POFQ. Sunny, did you ever have issues there?

Sunny - Oh I just read your "short" post. I think I like your new doctor! I hope so much this new plan help you. :wizard: :hug:

Terri - Surgery? :hug: & :wizard: But better to get it done and over with now, I suppose.

Terri

Ouch. Thank goodness it's not a full tear of the achilles. Good luck with a quick recovery and rehap.

Sunny

Goog for you to get a doc who wants you to stay active and strong during all this you are going through. It must have made you feel better to get advice that improves your physical and mental state. Good luck.

Craig

OK, I was oging to just do a huge catch up this weekend, but I have to post this one.

Sunny - OMG. How wonderful of that doctor. I so hope this works for you!!!! It's such a relief rthat at least she treated you well. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

I know not everyone believe the levaquin theory, although I do with me whole heart. I just can't imagine what would have happened if you had kept taking it and we didn't have Mel around. That scares the daylights out of me! Just amazing!:grouphug: :grouphug:

total drive by, guys, but I just wanted to tell you, Sunny, that I am so glad you found a doctor who cares so much and who validated your theory about the levoquin. I really hope the new drug helps!

Terri -- I am so sorry you are going to have to go through surgery, but I'd bet you are relieved that it will be soon and not too invasive. Sending pixiedust: and :goodvibes: your way!

Hi everyone, sorry no time to check in today. Swamped at work.

Just wanted to give Sunny a hug:hug: :flower3:

Will be back to check in later.

Kim

Happy Friday WISH TEAM!!!!!! :banana: :banana:

Today is a rest day for me, and good thing because I am feeling a little sore today. But I will be back at it Sunday with my LR of 4 miles this week.

Kathy--Hang in there with all that snow!! I am heading up to Lake Placid next week...Do you know close is that to where the 100" of snow is projected for? I hope there is a lot of snow, I am really want to have some good skiing!!
monte--HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to you and your DH!! (a day late), I can't wait to go snowshoeing when I am in Lake Placid next week!!
Maggie--How was date night? Hope you had a lot of fun!
Cam--WTG on running the whole mile....you are doing such a great job with your training...Keep up the good work!
Craig--sounds like you have a good plan for the year for races, which should have you ready for next year!
Angie--No soap box to get off of......you are entitled to feel proud about graduating from college....that is a GREAT accomplishment!!! You go girl!! And you are right, anybody can do anything as long as they put their mind to it!!
Terri-Sorry to hear about the surgery. The good news is the recovery period is not that long. Hang in there!
TxAng--WTG in getting to the gym!! I know it is hard sometimes, but that is great that you still went!
Scott-great job on your run today!
Sunny--I hope the new prescription make a difference for you. Isn't it great when you have doctor that puts that much effort into providing the best care for her patients!
Cecilia--sounds like a busy week for you! Hang in there!
Stephanie--that is an awesome email from your Dad. It must be so great to have someone in your family that can relate to your training and be there for you!!

Good luck to all on their training and races this weekend!!!

My Dr Apt Feb 6th (I'll try to keep it short)
Total emotional breakdown.

OK, maybe that was too short. I got there and was asked to fill out new patient paper work; ~10 double-sides pages nearly identical to the three I've filled out at Lahey Clinic. While inthe waiting room doing that, a woman in her late 60s (~68) returned from her apt and declared to her husband in an irritated/scared/frustrated voice, "I have spinal stenosis-- it's a degenerative desease. They want to see me in two weeks and may do surgery". My gut response to this was bizarre. I wanted to look up at her and say, "oh, ya? well I'm 43 with a 6yo and I have spinal stenosis and need surgery, too". I realized I was actually angry at this woman for being "statistically" the "right" age for this desease. I felt horrible and wondered what is happening to me.

In the exam room.
The nurse asked for my MRI which I gave her. I told her Lahey Clinic faxed the MRI report last week as Dr. Baima had requested. She said they received no fax. I had double checked with Lahey to make sure they got my authorization and it was being processed. I was so mad/hurt/drained. I laid on the exam table for 50 minutes before the dr came in. I cried the entire time. I expected this was just going to be another depressing, hopeless apt. I decided I wasn't even going to bring up the Levaquin, by now it feels like beating a dead horse.

When she came in I was still crying. She was very pleasant, introduced herself and asked a few easy questions; totally ignoring my crying. That was a good strategy because I immediately dried up and was able to talk coherently. She asked me when this started and there was no way I could not bring up my Levaquin theory. I've learned a lot from my many dr encounters so I carefully address the MRI in my theory. The reduced form goes something like this:

“I understand the degeneration in my spine didn’t happen overnight, however, I had no symptoms whatsoever, I caught pneumonia took Levaquin and suffered several serious adverse reactions to the drug including a torn tendon in my left arm that took six weeks to heal… I ran a 5K while still on the drug and the next day I couldn’t get out of bed and have been living in h3ll ever since…”

I speculated that the Levaquin might have caused the facet joint to fail which caused the L4 to slip which caused the nerve impingement. Or, the MRI abnormalies are coincidental to the nerve pain, and the pain is actually a peripheral neuropathy caused by the Levaquin.

She turned to her computer and looked up Levaquin. We talked a bit about it. I told her I wasn’t warned that I was endanger of tendon and joint injury and the reason I pushed myself to get back to the gym and workout hard while still on the drug was in hopes of shaking the awful depression (nearly suicidal, something I’ve never experienced before and also a “rare and serious” side effect of Levaquin). She told me they usually warn the elderly because their lack of use of muscles puts them at high risk. I then said, “but when all these drug studies are done, does anyone specifically check how these drugs affect endurance athletes? Our bodies are different, we may respond differently to drugs than the average person.” She took me totally seriously.

She did her full physical exam; which in my impression revealed no cause of pain. I meant to ask if I passed all the tests (because I think I did) but I forgot. She left the room for a moment to consult with another doctor then returned and asked if I had fallen during the 5K. I said, “no, no falls, no trauma, nothing.” She went back to the computer and read more on Levaquin. She asked me to get back on the table and she prodded ever inch of me from my lower spine to my calves, over and over.

I got dressed and we discussed treatment options. I wish so badly I remembered her words verbatim, but she started with something like this: “when a patient has symptoms and an MRI that backs up those symptoms, usually that is what treatment is based on. But your situation is unique. The reason I did the second exam was to search for possible tears in your glutes or hamstrings that could have resulted from the Levaquin. I found no evidence of that, but we could do a hamstring MRI—but they are difficult due to the length of the hamstring and I don’t really see evidence to do that. We also could do an EMG to study the nerve conduction. EMG’s are very painful.” (I know that from my carpal tunnel experience). She went on, “Unless you feel the need to know, I don’t feel it’s necessary to do an EMG, but I would like to treat you for peripheral neuropathies.”

The last thing she said to me, with her hand on my arm was "we want to keep you running".

Oh, and she had my feet in her hands for a long time and didn't mention my two missing toe nails. She did ask "how much do you run?". I was crying at that point and wimpered, "a lot".

She put me on Neurontin. She said it may give the nerves a chance to calm down. I go back to see her in 4 weeks. When I went to fill the script my pharmacist told me “this stuff is really great, it takes quite a while to feel results and you may need to go to a much higher dose than this, but it sure beats the alternative. I really hope it works out for you.” He’s so nice and knows my history.

There’s no guarantee this will be the solution, but at least I have a new hope to go on for now. And I can’t put into words how I felt when she put so much effort into researching and examining my Levaquin theory. Somehow I felt vindicated. I was so weak and drained by the time I left I could hardly drive home. That might also be due to the fact that I forgot to eat lunch and it was 6PM by that point! My apt was at 3PM.

So how was that for short?

PS: It was Mel who asked if I had been put on a quinolone anti-biotic and lead me to research the possible affects of Levaquin.

I had no idea this was going on with you.:hug:

Are you still on the Levaquin prior to this appt???

Does the Neurontin replace it--or is it to help with your present condition?

Glad you helped solve part of your mystery and I wish you well on the road to recovery.

Angie - When I saw the congrats I had to go back and find your story! As an untraditional adult learner I know just how tough it is. You have every reason to be very proud of yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheer2:

WTG CAM!!! :woohoo: :woohoo:

Sunny Thanks for sharing - that is huge! May you now have the right answers and get back in the groove! Good for you for sticking with it! I know how hard it is to stand up to a doctor, but even harder to have a doctor actually 'hear' you!!

Stephanie what a powerful email!! THANK YOU for sharing..:goodvibes
...tears are God's mercy using the saltiness of the tears to fix the hurts we are experiencing

Terri that's amazing - good luck on the surgery, and recovery!!

Susie:cheer2: Good Luck on your race!! :cheer2:

Honeibee we stayed at Poly, and Port Orleans, I had wanted to be at POFQ - but with the free dining, we got bumped to POR - we walked over to POFQ, it looked smaller, getting from our "mansion" to the food court was a long walk!! They share buses, and for the most part no problems - I still think that the values do a much better job moving people at the park's close - which is why we loved the Polynesian!! (spoiled I was!!!) When it comes right down to it, I'd rather be anywhere on Disney property than up here in the cold frozen north!! Plus the POFQ has the beniets!! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter