Wk of Jan 21--WISH Walking/Running Club

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we are a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. For most of us, the ultimate goal is to train and compete in the annual WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news and training for various other events throughout the year. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

TigerLily03 said:
New WISH Team members. If you read one thing over and over, believe this. Being part of this team is fantastic. Part of the ride you get for the event is what I call the roller coaster. There will be lots of ups and downs. The more you post here, the more you will find yourself enjoying the ride. It is an incredible journey. Don't be afraid, shy or whatever to come here and just post up anything. You don't have to know us right away, or all of us at all. You will get to know some of us. It makes the event you are enjoying have MORE meaning and we love to have you.

WISH Team

akasleepingbeauty Rhonda TX
aladdinsgirl Krista OH
AmyBeth68 Amy NJ
andromedaslove Dana FL
bekagain Bekah
Big Vic Vic FL
blueroses WA
Buckalew11 Brenda TN
Calcio Craig MA
CarolA Carol GA
chimera Mel FL
Chropistopy Christy GA
Cingoutload Dawn GA
Cruella de Mom Cecilia GA
crzy4pooh Lynnda FL
deekaypee
Dennyha Denny OH
DianeL Diane
disneybelle Darcey NJ
DisneyGirl Marissa
disneyrun
DJBounce Darcey IA
donac Dona NJ
dthogue Tammy PA
Duanerice FL
escape Susie AR
fabumouse NJ
gatorphipps Christa NC
getnthinr Wendy NC
goingthedistance Paul NM
goofyguy1958 Mike
HMHunters
Hockeychic Kim CAN
hockeygirl Laurie NY
Honeibee Judy NY
Jen117 Jen WI
jodistar Jodi CT
karebear1 Karen OR
Kareneast Karen NJ
keenercam Cam DE
KeenHo Howard DE
KelNottAt Kelley MD
Kimickey Kim MD
Kristi1357 Kristi NH
lillouisianagal Claire LA
Little Miss Mickey Ashley
Lisa Loves Pooh Lisa FL
littlegreydonkey Helen NZ
macrosswife Kimber AL
magslite Maggie IL
maherae Anne FL
MarkMichaels Mark IA
maryliz maryliz ON
MdmMim
MelRhoads Melissa AR
MickeySP Lisa MA
Minigirl Eva
Minnie Suzy
mogulskr Scott NJ
momoftwogirls
monte Monica CO
mousemgr Susan MI
MouseDogMom Jackie NC
Mouse Skywalker Dave NY
MrsTrx Tracey FL
msblrobs Sara NY
nucpharm29 Stephanie AR
NYCpa Kathy NY
ohMom Molli OH
Optimator Mike
outonarun Teri CA
panthergirl Susan NC
Paull117 Paul WI
perfectmatch300 Nancy FL
plutosmyfav Sunny MA
pollioni Robb ON
princessmomma Colleen NC
Pungodingy Angie NH
RedDragon Martha MA
rKyDeX Chester FL
RunningLilo Dena FL
sap1227 Christy FL
sara
ScoJo15 Scott GA
scoolover Scott CT
scuba diver Jim FL
skfulkers Steve OH
solotraveler Kevin MI
Space Ranger John
stitch lover sith Erin
sugaswim Holly MD
TammyNC Tammy NC
taz4disney CJ IN
TEK224 Terri PA
Texa
thndrmatt Matt FL
tiberius
TiffJ Tiffany AL
TigerLily03 Lily OH
Tinks IL
TXAng TX
TXBelle Heather TX
Valentine Kathy NY
WDWfan 9 Pat IL
westcliffemom Stacey CO
wfloyd Bill FL
WIsh I Lived in FL Felicia
Worfiedoodles Maria MA
wtpclc Carrie MI
xterratri Lynne ME
zoegirl Bree NC

Matt and Nucpharm - WTG on your races!

Cecilia - GO FOR THE GOOFY! My Goofy last year was ALOT easier than my marathon this year....Trust me on this one...well unless the temps are like they were this year.

OK! Sis has officially started the 1/2 marathon training. We were supposed to run 4 miles yesterday, but due to my LACK of direction, we ended up running 5!:confused3 NO I WASN"T LOST! I knew where I was the whole time, I just didn't know how to get back to where I was supposed to be.:rolleyes1
Ran aroung 9 miles on the trails today with JRT!:love:

Does anyone live near Nashville? DH, 2 friends and I MAY do the Country Music 1/2 marathon (I want to do the full, but DH says we should run together:confused3 ) on April 28th...I think that date is correct.

C-ya later!

Much better LR today! 8 miles in 1:39:39 for a 12:27 pace. I'm still on track for a 2:45 half, but that only gives me 1:05 to finish 5.1 miles...my 5 mile split was at 1:03. I'll be happy with sub 3 hours in the Sarasota half, but would really like that 2:45.

I've been experimenting with different gels. Liking the GU so far. Had a banana-peach Carb Boom today that smelled like DD3's old baby food...didn't taste bad, but the consistency got to me.

Just a thought...I have a can of Betty Crocker frosting that we didn't use for Xmas. Checked out the label...2 tbsp for 100 calories with 55mg sodium, 80mg potassium. Is that a reasonable gel alternative? :rolleyes1

:welcome: scuba diver! What type of training plan are you and your son using?

:welcome: mogulskr! Great to see you! Doesn't sound like a bad mid-life crisis...I'm still planning for mine ;)

Maggie...welcome back! great to see so many folks posting that don't often join us!

Stephanie...wow, incredible pace! :worship: I thought you were new to this.

Matt...congrats on your race!

Steve...fabulous 8 mile LR! Sorry, no benefits package with the part-time work ;)

Dave...another impressive LR pace! Congratulations!

Heather...congrats on the 5lb loss! Are you planning to just run for Minnie or do R/W intervals? It was fun chasing you in the '06 half :)

Anne...great workouts!

Kathy...I did what most others did to train for Minnie last year. Took the MFM plan up to the 8 mile LR, then just a 2 week taper before the race. I'm hoping to finish under 2 hours this year.

Lily...I love that paragraph you posted. Would you mind if I add it to the opening post each week?

Helen...:wizard: for your foot! Where will you be living in Australia?

Jackie...thanks for the website. I'll add it to the sticky!

Sunny...glad things seem to be progressing for you. And now you can run!!

Jen...I'll train for R5/W1 if you come do the full with me ::yes:: I've always been afraid to run with someone else because I didn't want to hold anyone back, but I'll need all the help I can get to finish this one :scared1:

Yes, in a fit of insanity, I registered for the full last Monday. I haven't really said anything about it because I'm still trying to get my mind around the idea. I swore during the half a couple weeks ago that I'd never do a full and was considering never doing another half either. I read everyone's race reports to see what those that did the full or Goofy were planning. I think it was Scott's comment about how everyone was saying how awful it was then coming home and registering for next year that got me.

Now, I'm just plain terrified :scared1: I was even afraid to tell DH. He was going through some stuff the first year I started running and adjusting to my new 'hobby' was really tough. Now, everything's much better, but training for the full will take more time next fall. I'm very lucky to have a supportive family, but I still feel selfish about taking time for myself every time I go out on a run. Does that ever go away or is it just another part of parental guilt?

Enough deep thoughts and musings. Burning question about socks...how many miles can you put on your socks? I've been using the same 5 or 6 pairs of socks for about 2 years (yes, I wash them in between runs ;) ) and just now am getting blisters. The socks look fine, maybe a bit faded, but they're still squishy. How long do y'all keep your running socks around?

Mel - Everything you said above is EXACTLY how I feel. I felt guilty leaving the house on Saturday for 2-3 hours just to get my training in. I don't know if I can even muster training for a full. And the silly thing is, the only reason I want to do the full is for the 15 th Anniv. medal! :confused: Oh and the glory to say I actually did a full marathon!!!! I am torn. I won't register for a bit yet, just because I am not sure if I can make it happen with my work schedule. BUT, if I do get enough courage to sign up for the full.... I will definately do 5R/1W intervals and buddy up with you. 6 hours out there alone would get way too boring and evil thoughts might cross through my head!!!

DH has been away to his dinner thingy for almost 6 hours now. How can dinner last 6 hours. They better have a good speaker!!! The girls and I watched Barnyard (movie) and ate popcorn, oh we giggled a bunch too. Being that I have been gone a lot lately, it was nice to have girl time!!!

Tomorrow... my goal is to get on my treadmill at some time during the day. I forgot we have tickets to a show tomorrow night, so I can't put my PJ's on early and veg out like today!

Went to the gym today with a plan to just try to go 3 miles. I wasn't sure if I'd make it, but I did! 3.2 miles in 50 minutes (that time includes a 5 minute warm-up and 5 minute cool-down). Not too speedy, but I was downright giddy that I was able to go that far! :banana:

:welcome: scuba diver! What type of training plan are you and your son using?

Enough deep thoughts and musings. Burning question about socks...how many miles can you put on your socks? I've been using the same 5 or 6 pairs of socks for about 2 years (yes, I wash them in between runs ;) ) and just now am getting blisters. The socks look fine, maybe a bit faded, but they're still squishy. How long do y'all keep your running socks around?

I run Galloway with our local group 5/1.

My son is 16 and he just runs when ever he feels like it. He has no training plan. He ran with us yesterday for 10 miles. He thought running a half would be no big deal (he is running Gasprilla 1/2 in Feb) until he ran a 20K in Washington DC last weekend. He cramped and came in last. It was worth the registration fee when he said "I now have a great respect for you running a full marathon". Priceless! :banana:

As far as socks....I wear them until they get holes in them. Being old should not cause blisters unless they are not fitting right. If they are stretched out and rubbing then I would replace them.

Christa-I live 1 1/2 hrs from Nashville. The Country Music Marathon is an awesome event. I think it rivals WDW (and I've never heard of them running out of water ;) ) We were there last year because DS did the kids marathon & they run their last mile on the same morning as the race. There are bands along the course, lots of local support and the medal is nice. The expo is about the same size at WDW too. Now, I will mention that downtown Nashville is far from flat. This is what has kept me from doing the 1/2 there. You will definatley need to get some hill work in. But I'm sure that is no problem for EQ:rotfl: If you decide to do it, you will enjoy it. Nashville is a great place. I would live there if I could (although I dont want to move anywhere that gets me further from WDW :eek: )

Mel-I have no doubt you can do the full. You have done so great with your training. I meant to tell you at WDW, you are looking skinny girl! And I think frosting is a much better alternative to Gu:rolleyes:

Matt-great job on the race!:cool1:

Dave--nice job on the 4 miler! Don't start getting too fast on me. If you're planning on running 8:00 miles for the Flying Pig, I'm going to wave goodbye to you at the start and catch up with you after the Finish line. :)

Well, I finally got a semi-LR in this morning. 8 miles in 1:18. It felt really good to get a run in that was long enough that I had to eat a Clif Bar mid-run. :) I had planned on just doing 6, but I missed my 3 miler on Thursday and figured I'd see how I felt after 6 and go longer if I was ok. Cold enough to wear gloves and a hat again, so I was happy about that.
Steve - :laughing: I'm trying to get in better shape so I can keep up with you at the Pig. You just ran 8 miles at a sub 10mpm pace; compared to my 4 miles at 10mpm. Plus, I seem to remember you actually staying ahead of the 5 hour pace group at the marathon.

Morning team!

I so need this rest day today. I am dragging. I heard DS over the baby monitor at 6:30 and let him babble for 30 minutes before I crawled out of bed to get him. Need that coffee!!!!!!!!

Mel--I also have huge parental guilt. And especially since DH and I were supposed to be training together, but b/c of his work schedule and illness interfering with training--he now has kid duty on Saturday mornings. Now don't get me wrong, he loves his alone time with the kids--and I need a break every now and then. But I still feel guility--That being said, we sort of worked out a plan where he watches the kids on Sat. mornings so I can run, and then I let him sleep in on Sundays/no kid duty until noonish. Seems to work for us!

The icing sounds good to me! Ahem, I actually used mini-marshmellows on one of my LRs on the TM b/c I couldn't find my Shot Bloks--wasn't a great idea!

Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday!!:goodvibes

Good morning WISHers!

Yesterday our department running/walking team ("Team Star", go figure) ran/walked the Chiropractic Run For Health 5K in Destin. Its was a flat, out and back, and there were about a 150 runners/walkers. Three of our walkers placed first in their age groups and one placed third. My time was 32:46, which came out to be around 10:49 per mile. I guess that's not too bad for a 50 year old grump. ;)

Mel - I'm a GU user, but let us know how the frosting deal works. :rotfl:

Again, :welcome: to our new and returning team members.

To all - great job on your training runs, walks, and races.

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?!!!

Good morning TEAM!!!!!

Welcome to all the new posters, glad to have you on board.

Congrats to all on your long runs, someday soon I hope to be able to post some times, they will be slow but being able to get longer distances in is what I am working on right now.

I understand what all you parents are going through having to leave the kids to train but also remember you are entitled to time to yourself which will make you a better moms and dads. I use to go through that alot with my kids, DH and I hardly ever did anything for ourselves, gotta get the kids to hockey, soccer, Tai Kwon Do, guitar lessons, etc...on and on, However, now they are 17 and 14 so much easier for us to get out and train, and if they want they can join us. Actually they are in better shape since they where playing, hockey, soccer etc.....we sat and watched.....:rotfl:

Yesterday, I took a rest day, Dh and I curl on Friday nights and my hips where a bit sore, a combo of curling and the 15K I did on my exercise bike Thursday night. However, we spent the entire day looking for a treadmill which I did not fine one that I wanted, so I kinda got a work out testing all these machines.....:woohoo:

Going to get out for a long walk today.

Have a good one all.

Kim

Good Morning.

The kids and I woke up to beautiful white snow covering everything. The cold is so much more bearable when we have snow to play in.

Feeling guilty moms - I so suffer from this. Last year it really added to my giving up. But whomever said that doing something for ourselves makes us better moms is absolutely correct! :grouphug:

Maggie

Ahhh, I hear you on the parenting thing!!

I was on the treadmill for all of 4.5 mins when my boys were using each other as a punching bag:rolleyes2

Since my DH is at work, that was the end of that run. I will try again later.

I have found 3 friend from my playgroup that want to do the Minnie with me. So we are already planning on having the men and the kids get together to play on our long run days. We are hoping that makes it a little less stressful on the dads!

I love the way I feel after I get done running and my DH knows it so he is more than willing to help out (thank goodness!!).

Hi friends! I'm new to the group, but not new to running, though I'd love some of these times I'm seeing. This is an impressive group:thumbsup2

I'm gearing up for training for the Minnie 15K. I've consistently kept a distance of 3 miles because I've heard that's a normal training start off point. So yesterday I did my 3 miles and felt pretty good! Not sure when I'll start increasing.:confused3 Any thoughts? If I follow Hal Higdon he says to start at the end of February, but I don't know if I'll wait that long.:dance3:

I'm looking forward to "training" with you!

BTW -I have a friend who ran the Country Music 1/2 last year. She tried to recruit me but we were too busy last spring for me to make it. She said it was very hilly but she loved it! She's talking about the Chicago 1/2 now:rolleyes1

Steven and Dave - Way to go fast guys!!!!! Good job on the sub 10min miles

Stephanie - Awesome pace on the 1/2. Which 1/2 was that?

Speaking of parenting guilt, i'd better get off here and help out!!

Boy already on page 2...It looks like it may be another fun week chatting.

I went out yesterday and did 10.5 miles with a pace of 11:26. This is the fastest I have gone recently with marathon training so I was impressed. I am aiming for under 2:15 for the Sarasota Half and that may be a little bit of a stretch right now.

Last night, Billy fell out of bed and somehow a toy wound up sitting on his head. After screaming, I sprinted across the house since Lynnda has figured out how to wake me up for these occasions (I think she is training me to get up for the nighttime feedings personally :lmao: ). I figure that is enough speed work for the day since I found several toys in the middle of the path.

Mel - Lynnda and Billy will cheer for you during the half, provided they can get up early enough and get to the finish area. You are definitely ready for the full. Training times do take more time but I tend not to pay attention to it. Lynnda and Billy have been great with making sure I go out, usually prodding by saying to get out and train. ;) BTW, Lynnda does like your Gu alternative and keeps telling me that it is much better to use.

Matt - great job on the race. I still can't stand running in sand for too long and having a race in it would probably kill me.

Christa - The Country Music half/full is on our list to try sometime. Now to figure out how to get up there one year. I have heard that it is fun to be in.

Jen - Glad to hear that you had a good time with the girls. Good luck on your training run today.

TxAng - Great job on the training run.

Nucpharm - Great job on the run yesterday. I think I would be trying to stay warm under the covers with those conditions outside. :rolleyes1

Vic - Great job on the race yesterday.

Kim - I found the perfect treadmill the other day but will never be able to afford it. It had a theater system built in so you could watch everything without finding a TV somewhere. I don't know if it actually is any good for running but at least I would be entertained.

Maggie - You could send some snow down to us. I know several people who would love to wake up to that. :santa:

Tink - You could start increasing if you wanted to but do it slowly. Now is the perfect time to get used to going farther distances and building a base you can launch off of for the actual training.

Welcome to all the new members. Hope to keep seeing you around.

Bill

Ok..I don't know if I did a lunge wrong or not, but for the last 2 weeks my left side has been killing me. It hurts from my hip to my ankle, I feel like I'm 90 years old, but only on my left side. lol. I must have done a lunge wrong??? Could it be old age?:rolleyes1

melr--it wasn't actually a race. According the training place that my running buddy devised--we were to run 13.1 yesterday. So we were on the river trail in North Little Rock! I swear every time I see that Big Dam Bridge I think of you and your adventure race rappelling off it!

Bill--I need to find out Lynda's secret for getting you up at night--DH still doesn't hear anything that happens around here from around 11-3am!;) LOL about the speed training!:rotfl:

Does anyone live near Nashville? DH, 2 friends and I MAY do the Country Music 1/2 marathon (I want to do the full, but DH says we should run together:confused3 ) on April 28th...I think that date is correct.

C-ya later!

This one (the full) is probably on my list as well this year, because those medals they give out for multiple RnR marathons seem like so much fun... Ideally I'd do both the CMM and the RnR out in San Diego a few months later... But basically, I'm going to be deployed at some point from the next month or two onward, will be gone for at least a couple months, and have no idea which races I'll actually be able to do.

Never ran in to you at Disney though, and although at this point you appear to be well under my pace (I've run 9mpm for a half multiple times, but was closer to 10mpm for the full, and then cramped crashed and burned later on) if you're desperate for company you could try my speed. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter