Wk of Jan 21--WISH Walking/Running Club

I'll bet your wife secretly wants you to get the red Ducati but knows it would'nt be nearly as much fun if she approved.

Two quick notes:

My kids and I were racing home from the bus stop the other day when one of my ten year olds friends yelled out " Your mom is beating you!" My Daughter yelled back " yeah, well, she's a runner!" Ahhh, Priceless!

At the grocery store I ask the manager( a neighbor) who happens to be in the aisle if they have some product on my list and he starts helping me look for it. Another man comes up and asks the same manager about those new sports drinks (accelerade?). The manager says they don't have it - then turns to me and says "You're an athlete, which store carries that?" AND I knew the answer! I left the store floating "I am an athlete!"

Cecilia - the athlete that needs to get out the door and run 8 miles. :lmao:

Boy do I hate mornings like this. I had myself all psyched up for the 18, had my gear all set out to run. I start to get dressed and realized IT"S RAINING AGAIN!!!!! Somebody want to help me build an ark!! Seriously, this is the 3rd LR in a row in the rain!!!! Now I got to go rework my wardrobe to acct. for my jacket and all! Ugh! I sure hope the run goes well. Will check in later!

Stephanie

RunningLilo: when I'm sick I always want to go out and train b/c aren't I stronger than that tiny, little, microscopic germ thats making me feel like crap? Hope you continue to feel better; I'm coming back from hip rehab and I've had just about enough of the "take it slowly" stuff. That stupid bursa is cramping my style...

I don't think Craig should buy that Ducati. I think he should totally respect his wife's wishes and bow to her needs!! Think that'll happen?!? LOL.

Good morning Team!!!!

Rest day today....

Christa, Optimator and Dave thank you all for the boost to my confidence. I feel better today, I know it is better then not doing anything at all.

Sorry for the drive by but have to get DS to work, Have a awesome day everyone!!!!

Kim

Hello Again Everyone: Here's my training report. I did 6 miles in one hour exactly (10 mpm pace). It was cold, the roads were snow covered and slippy, there was a light drizzle coming down, and I ran a hilly course. But I did it, and was really happy with my time. Here's my splits:

Mile 1: 9:35
Mile 2: 9:51
Mile 3: 9:42
Mile 4: 10:57 (took a 1 min walk break)
Mile 5: 10:28 (uphill)
Mile 6: 9:31

Good luck training today everyone. I am going to try to get caught up on some work I need to do. I'm working on yet another grant proposal. Aaaah, that's my job...

Good morning WISHers!

Hoping everyone is having a fine Saturday.

I’m trying to catch up, so please bear with me. :)

Dave – Please pass on a belated birthday wish to DD. Great job on the run.

nucpharm29 said:
Vic--we'll be running at the same time--just different places! I love Seaside, one of my fav vacation spots--so if it weren't for that darn Marathon here on 3/4 I'd be there!

Good luck running your marathon, Stephanie. We’ve lived in the panhandle for 17 years and have never been to Seaside. :confused3 :)

andromedaslove said:
Guys - Sorry about the whole bra conversation, but guess what you might be able to get us back. My DH has a question about what you guys use to run in, especially in the cold. He refuses to wear tights (even if they are zebra print.

I wear either sweat pants or Under Armour Streaker pants. Under that, a pair of compression shorts. Never had a problem with the cold. But, it doesn't get that cold here.

plutosmyfav said:
Vic: Funny you should mention upperbody and pushups, chinups this weeek. I used to be a serious weight lifter (real mean girl ). But its been nearly a year since I've been serious. I used to do 100 push ups, too (20 at a time, 5 times). (good form, military style). So just a few nights ago I decided to see what I could do... UGH. Five very shakey, very slow, nearly died push ups! So there's some room for improvement. They pull a little on my right sciatica but not horribly. As for chinups I used to use the chin-assists machine and got to where I was only countering 40lbs of my weight. It was my goal to do ONE real chinup before I die... But I am back to the gym and starting out very slowly and carefully again. I also have a home gym, nowhere near as impressive as yours. I have a 65lb punching bag and a standing kick bag, bench and free weights; but everything is squished to the side to accommodate DS's new air hockey table.

One of my goals in life is to do one lousy pullup. My poor ol shoulders and arms have a problem pulling up 230 lbs. Maybe I need to work on that too. :rotfl:

plutosmyfav said:
Bra talk, chub rub and races: Do you guys (um, I mean gals) grease your bras for races? I didn't have a single sting in the shower after either race. I used to have almost a complete bra outline scar from early days of LRs and not knowing the tricks (where'd the blushing smiley go?)

I’m not greasing my “Bro.” ;) :lmao:

Blueroses – 11 miles! Cool!

Erica – great job with the mileage!

Stacey – 6 miles! Congrats!

Maria – Great job@!

Terri – Hope your injury heals quickly.

Bill – Great job on the run.

Craig – Cool deal on the summer teaching gig. Congrats!

Mel – Hope the DD is feeling better.

Pat – That Total Gym isn’t looking too good. ;)

If I missed anyone, please accept my apologies.

The DW is working today, so I'm a domestic. Time to do the laundry and clean house. Oh boy, cross training. :lmao:

Day 3 of calling in sick:sick:

Pat, you're a better person than Iam..that total gym is an expensive chew bone for a dog, hopefully the owner will help out with the payments.

Pat -- OMG! I absolutely cannot believe how calm you sounded in your post. I hope you showed that picture to the dog's owner. Did they offer to compensate you at all? Years ago, our dearest friends in the world brought their dogs to our house and we put them in the basement while we went to grab dinner. One of the dogs scratched a hole through the edge of the door and doorjamb -- what a mess. Minimal cost to fix and Chrissy felt so bad she sent roses and an apology note from the dog. :rotfl: Maybe there's a message there, that you need to take it a bit easier!

To all our sick WISHers -- here's pixiedust: and :goodvibes: for healthy days very soon!

To everyone who is getting out there and doing their miles regardless of weather conditions, :woohoo: :thumbsup2 :cool1: :dancer:

Howard and I went to the Y this morning, much later than I should have, but I think I was in a carb coma from over-indulging last night and just could not drag myself out of bed.. Once we got there, I really enjoyed my TM workout. Right now, I am focusing on building endurance to run longer distances and to build my pace to solidly beat my PR at my 5K on 3/17. If I can do that on the more difficult course on 3/3, that would be even better. 5 weeks to get ready.

PR is 43:33 (I know that sounds really slow to our teammates who are runners AND to almost all the walkers, too! ;) ). Tuesday night I did 42:25 and today I did 42:03! More importantly, I jogged at 4.8 for more than 4:15 for one of the intervals, 3:14 (I think) for another and then none less than 2:30. I slowed my walk pace to 4.0 mph and the jog pace to 4.8 in the hopes of building endurance. I figure if I get to the point where I can jog longer times, I can work on speed later.

Do you guys think that is a good approach?

All that being said, I really wish I could have stayed at the gym longer to get on the bike or elliptical, but Howard hurt his back when he was weight training, and since we drove together and he was bringing me to work from there, I left after the 5K on the TM. Now, I can't wait to get back there to see what I can do next time. How awesome it would be if I could do 4R/2W for the duration of a 5K!

Oh, and my latest fun song to run to is "Jacky Dunn Tucker" by Toby Keith from the Building Bridges soundtrack. It is fast and fun! :thumbsup2

Thanks everybody for the sympathy! Yes, the dog owner has offered to replace my Total Gym. I think it is just a matter of replacing the body glide part, although I haven't looked at it too closely yet. The best news is that Snowball didn't hurt herself. I would have felt terrible if she had done something like that.

And trying to look on the bright side - I have never liked the Pepto-Bismol pink carpeting in that room. My oldest DD picked it out when I had the house built when she was 8 (20 yrs ago). It has been a spare bedroom for years and the plan has been to put down hardwood floors and use the room as a formal dining room. Well, in addition to destroying the TG Snowball also ripped up some of the carpeting trying to tunnel out of the room. This is the perfect motivation to get moving on our redecorating. Of course DH is not as excited as I am since he will the one doing the work. His co-worker has also offered to come help with that, so I think all in all it could have been a lot worse. I am just thankful that the bedroom door was closed and that she didn't get to my TM, because then I would have really cried! In fact I am heading to the TM now.

Have a great day everyone!

Pat--I know it's not funny, but I was laughing at the description of the room and TG when the dog got done with it. We had a beagle years ago that destroyed countless items, including our daughter's toys. I don't remember her destroying anyone else's stuff, but we never really gave her a chance to do so. She even chewed through a mattress!! I think she was part goat....

Cam--I hope Howard's back gets better soon. A good massage might be in order; let's hope he doesn't need a chiropractor. Rest and ibuprofen should help too. I loved the interval training!! You go, girl!!!!! And don't even think about it being too slow compared to others! You are competing against YOUR times not someone else's times. You beat your 5K PR by 90 seconds!! That is so awesome you SHOULD reward yourself. Congratulations!

All righty--I didn't die;) --so here's my post 18 mile report

>Overdressed (we all did)--had to head back to the cars around mile 3 to ditch the rain gear--wouldn't you know after all that running around I did this am to prepare for the rain, it stopped once we got on the road!:confused3

>Garmin was dead!! I'm sure I charged it this week, but maybe not. So I had to rely on running buddy for pace and mileage. Our goal pace was 9:30 mile--but we ended up averaging 9:17 (he kept telling me to slow down, jokingly of course--I told him "You're the one that's supposed to be pacing me!":rotfl: --finished in 2:47:cool1:

>Not enough water--realized that the bottle in my Amphipod is only good for about 13 miles--sucked it dry today--luckily I came upon a working water fountain and refilled. Going to look for another bottle so DH can switch out bottles on race day for me!

>Legs hurt--need some Ibuprofen--but I did cold soak already so hopefully that will help with some of the inflammation. NO chub rub today--I lathered myself in vaseline before leaving the house and now skin is fully intact

>IBS in the first 5 miles--Note to self: Pizza and beer is NOT the ideal night before-LR meal!:rolleyes:

But overall, things went well. I realized that I can do this! I just ran 18 miles, hills and all (twice over that Dam Bridge-MelR). So even if I have to crawl the last 8 miles I can do this!!! You guys are great inspiration!! Keep up the great work!!!

Well, DH is heading out to get a haircut, so I'm back on Mommy duty--no rest for the weary!

cam--great pace!!! Looks like you're on your way to a PR. Hope Howard's back starts to feel better

WOW, Stephanie! That is an awesome pace! I'm glad you didn't have to run the whole time in the rain!

Martha -- Thank you for your kind words. My goal is to become a runner this year. I just have to keep reminding myself that it won't come all at once. Thank you again! :hug:

Hey all... I am at work right now and haven't gotten in a run yet today (had the blues this morning). I just talked to my dad's best friend and he said "GO FOR IT" (meaning the marathon next year). Well, remember that I work for family and have more responsibilities than I should because of that... I told him that I am not sure I can with work and all the conventions. So he said, "You have to do this for you. Just do it". So I guess what he is saying is, just say I am doing it and make work figure things out. So that may help my plee for time off in January.

Oh and I was showing off pictures that I had printed off!!!

I am wearing my 1/2 marathon sweatshirt with hopes I can get over the blues (work is making me blue!).

Mike- I’m impressed you did 8 miles in 18 degree weather. :thumbsup2 How cold!!! Enjoy your Sunday rest. :happytv:

Dave- thanks for the encouragement. :goodvibes Your words are like little beams of light. :sunny: Impressive run in the snow and ice! And the uphill! Wow. I’m speechless. Good luck with the grant. :wizard:

Cecilia- Dude, that had to feel awesome when your daughter said “she’s a runner!” Ahhh! :cloud9: You are setting such a great example for your kids.

Stephanie- I’m so proud of you for doing so well with the LRs in the RAIN! Man, I’m so impressed that you are already going back on Mommy duty after such a run. I’d hire a sitter and sleep all day after 18 MILES! :worship: You make me tired just reading your posts! Congrats on a great run! :cool1:

Martha- Welcome! :wave2: Thanks so much for feeling better wishes! I agree, the mental games being sick causes are crazy. The should I go out and exercise or should I not?!?! It drives me nuts, especially when I feel guilty for not going later.

Vic- :laundy: and cleaning are GREAT cross training! I have to convince myself of that everyday.

Monte- Gosh, #3. Hope you feel better SOON!!! pixiedust: :sick: pixiedust:

Cam- 43:33 is GREAT! :woohoo: It still sounds fast to me girl! I wish I could do that. Good job on the 5k. Don’t you think you should get a t-shirt every time you do a 5k whether it’s in training or not! :lmao: LOL! You are definitely on the right track with increasing the jog time before the speed work. The speed will come as the endurance builds. I’m proud of you Mrs. Runner! :cheer2:

Howard- pixiedust: for the back!

Pat- I have to admit I laughed out loud when I saw your Gym in shambles. :laughing: Only because I would have been so excited if that happened to me. I’d take it as a sign from God to stop working out! :rotfl2: But seriously, I’m glad the owner offered to pay for it.

Jen- Sounds like things are going to work out for you and the marathon after all! :yay: :wizard: for your blues! Remember we love you! :grouphug:

Colleen

If you and your Boston Marathon running DH are here in April please contact us in advance. We can hopefully give you some good advice and a meal.

Craig

Cam--I hope Howard's back gets better soon. A good massage might be in order.

I like how she thinks.... Cam, I think a massage would do wonders for me! ;)

Sad day here.....My DS, 16, and I ran the Daytona 5K this morning.

My son finally beat my PR for a 5K. He is now the family 5K Big Dog.:sad2:

He ran a 23:20 and I came in at 24:55. I'm pleased with my run since I have a 20 mile run scheduled for tomorrow, but I hated to lose to him.

I knew it was coming, but tried to fight it off as long as possible. Guess I will just have to keep beating him on the long runs.

The good news is that he was willing to get up at 5:30 am and run in 42 degree weather. For us in here in FL....that's cold. :laughing:

Housework and laundry are done! WooHoo! :banana:

Monte - Hope you feel better soon!

Cam - Congrats on the PR!

Stephanie - Great job on your LR in today!

Jen - Go for it! ;)

Dena - These were my, ahem, helpers today.

earnhardt012707.jpg

dusty012707.jpg

Howard - I agree, Cam should massage your back. :thumbsup2 :laughing:

Pat - I admit I laughed out loud too, but mainly at memories of all the things our dog chewed up as a puppy. I don't think she ever did anything that BIG, but she came close! Glad you're seeing some good out of it.

Stephanie - You amaze me! Great job on your run, despite a few setbacks.

Monica - Hope you feel better soon.

I blew off Thursday morning's appt with the treadmill, but knew I'd make it up because today was going to be beautiful and I could run outside and everything would be okay. I worked the concession stand at the school Wed and Thurs nights, so I didn't get home until 9:30 both nights, then had DD's 16th bday party last night - had 30 high school kids at a city park lodge until 11pm and then had to clean up, so it was 12:30 when we got home. She and I both think we're coming down with a cold, and we've spent the entire day on the couch. Now that I've caught up with 3 days of posts, I feel even worse and more like a slug! Maybe tomorrow... but it will have to be the TM, since it's supposed to be cold and rainy again.

Jackie

Not much to report from the freezing north east! That sore throat / cold thing came back with force today. I spent the afternoon / evening on the couch watching CSI & ER and snoozing with a fever to boot. :sick:

Pat - I think I would have killed that dog! You are handling it much better than me.

Jen - Just do it! :thumbsup2

I know I missed a bunch of people, but I have beenr eading everyone's posts. Back to the couch for me...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter