would this be allowed/rude/weird???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many people split meals so four seats and only two meals, how is this different from one person getting fries and a cupcake. Heck I have a reservation for 4 at Le Cellier for dessert and drinks.

Both of those scenarios still have you spending money at the restaurant. My point is that bringing food in could create or already be a slippery slope. Just get a reservation to the places with the best ambiance and bring in your own food, especially if the CM's are allowing it. That's how i'm reading into alot of the feedback.

My ds(14) is a sometimes picky eater and I was worried about him finding something he liked at BOG for lunch. I showed him the menu today and he said nothing sounds good but he still wants the experience of going there as do the rest of the family. I was thinking of having him grab something from some other QS place right before and bringing it with us to BOG but idk if that would be frowned upon? If nothing else I guess he could eat his meal first and then maybe just get a dessert with us at BOG.
just remember BOG can not warm up anything brought into BOG. of it is too cold he will have to eat it that way even if made in Disney

OP - Just wanted to lend you some support! I'm with you that everyone should be able to eat something they like (it's your son's vacation too!), and even if you take something in you bought somewhere else, Disney is still profiting from your son's food.

That said, a lot of people made a good point about it being cold by the time you get seated. Having him eat before or after would be your best bet, with him ordering a dessert or bringing in a snack while everyone else has their meals.

Since it will be a challenge carrying anything from another QS place, maybe consider picking him up a snack beforehand to bring into BOG from a nearby place like Prince Eric's Village Market or Gaston's Tavern (linked to menus)? Then he won't be left alone not eating and can get something more substantial afterward.

You could look at it as everyone in the family being happy, rather than putting a negative spin on it.

Doesn't happen at WDW, but at Disneyland we often get food at different places. I see NO need for people to be unhappy with what they eat, especially when we're paying big bucks for it.

We often get food at different places, as we have one in our party who is a vegetarian and options can be limited. We do this at Animal Kingdom and Epcot, typically. At Epcot, we treat the World Showcase as our own food court. Everybody gets what they want (SHWARMA PLATTER...OMG!), and then we meet in the middle to eat together, typically at the Liberty Inn or at an outdoor table in Japan's pretty garden area. At AK, we will eat in the area on the water behind Flame Tree. It works out well.

I don't think I'd probably choose this at BOG, though, because it would be awkward due to having to be seated. You have a little less control over how it all works out. I'd probably just have the kid order a drink or dessert and eat something else, if you felt strongly about not having him order from the menu. (I'm with others who would say sink or swim, but I totally get your desire for harmony on vacation.)

Last edited:
Jeez, I just love all of the judgment, parenting "advice", and remarks about how she should dine elsewhere. None of which the OP asked for! Its a simple question...do they or do they not allow outside food! OP to answer your question, as a few others have stated, you can bring in food if you wish. No questions asked. Your son can order a drink and cupcake and be merry. I think its a perfectly fine solution for a picky eater who may not like the menu.

To be fair, she did ask if it was weird, which does invite some commentary on these subjects.

In response to your question about if you can do it, as you've heard the answer is yes. I have some fairly recent experience navigating WDW with a picky eater, so if you're brave enough to come back to this topic (LOL), what do you think you would be trying to get for your son? I'm just thinking that it might be possible to help you figure out the best way to accomplish that if you have ideas on what you might be trying to get. Could you maybe get him sides at BOG (order of fries)? Another option we've used is the kid's power pack, which does come in a box. We've used this as a light meal option several times, and since comes in a box it's easy to transport. For a 14yo boy, though, that may not be enough food.

I just think many disers are tired of picky eater stories and how one picky eater's needs seem to trump those of the rest of the family, especially once they're in their teens or older. I think it should be the other way around. Sorry, but that's just the way I feel. Ok, flame away...

Totally agree. If he's hungry, he'll eat. If not he'll eat at the next meal. This should not be a big deal and plans should not be adjusted to accomodate him.

We're not talking about a toddler and there was no mention of sensory issues. Of course some people have food issues related to medical conditions and we all have preferences. Thats not the same as an otherwise healthy child or adult whose tastes are so narrow they can't eat in a perfectly ordinary restaurant.

Last edited:
I'm not a picky eater at all and never have been; neither is my wife nor my DD (18) I am not limited to a diet of burgers, steak, frozen pizza, hot dogs, grilled cheese, chicken nuggets and etc. But for those people who are picky, choosy, fussy, selective eaters or whatever one wants to call it, that is their choice. No judgement here; eat however you want. If the OP can find something her 14 year old son will like and can find a way to bring it into BOG during lunch (it is a QS) I'm OK with that. If it were dinner and being a sit down restaurant I would have a different opinion. With that said the OP is asking for opinions and mine would be as such; If the son at 14 years old can't find something on the menu at BOG then perhaps he can wait till everyone else is done and then get a bite to eat at Cosmic Rays, Casey's or some other place afterwards. I personally think it is a whole lot easier than lugging in food from somewhere else. But if they are able to find something else at another QS and can manage to carry it in,and that is what they want to do then feel free to do so. :goodvibes

Add me to the list of people saying his food will probably be cold before he gets to eat it. Why not feed him first and let him order dessert at BoG?

So many people are saying he is going to have to eat 'cold food'. We're in Florida; at worst, it will be room temperature. He's 14 yo and he won't care, anyway.

Maybe bring a disposable tupperware in your backpack and he can transport his food that way. :hippie:

People do this all the time, especially at BOG, just look around the next time you eat there. There are a lot of uncrustables, cheese crackers, fruit and sandwiches coming out of backpacks there, especially for the kids. Why spend money on food that isn't really wanted and probably won't even be eaten? That's just wasteful.

You can easily all be seated at BOG and he can run out and get something else and come back. My son loves the pizza flatbreads at Pinnochio Haus, so when we had lunch at BOG, he went over there, pulled out one of the ziplock bags that I pack in everyone's backpack for leftovers, wet ponchos, etc. and they slid the flatbread on the plate in the zip bag for him. He brought his flatbread and drink back to BOG and rejoined the family. It was no big deal. The only problem was that a couple of people asked what it was so they could order it too.

Lunch at BOG is a quick service meal so no one cares. The CMs at BOG don't care as no one loses any tip money. Disney doesn't care as all the money spent at the various restaurants goes to them.

He gets to eat what he likes, we don't have to eat at Pinnochio Haus again for his flatbreads, he gets to enjoy the atmosphere at BOG and we eat together as a family on our family vacation.

As far as all the unrequested parenting advice you have received here, ignore it. You do what works for your family and enjoy your vacation!

We've taken a kids chicken nugget meal into BOG Twice for our then 3 and 4 year old. Because my husband and I wanted to see the castle and guess what? We go to work everyday and did years of schooling to work to pay for our trips to Disney. So I'm not going to let the selective eating habits of my toddler/preschooler prevent me from eating at BOG because Disney DOES NOT CARE if you bring in food from another QS restaurant. It happens at BOG frequently. The first time we went the CM's themselves even suggested getting nuggets from Pinocchio Haus, they said people do it all the time.

Now, if the rules change and Disney stops allowing this, then we won't do it. I don't fight food battles when I'm on vacation. I do that enough at home. Cannot even believe those of you who are so offended or appalled by this!!! So silly! MYOB!

Now, if the rules change and Disney stops allowing this, then we won't do it. I don't fight food battles when I'm on vacation. I do that enough at home. Cannot even believe those of you who are so offended or appalled by this!!! So silly! MYOB!

If the OP didn't want to hear other's thoughts on the matter she wouldn't have asked. I can't believe you are offended or appalled by people offering their opinions. So silly.;)

I have been told directly by Disney Dining that you only need to order what you want wherever you dine (I just wanted dessert.) I have had just cupcakes and coffee at BOG....Sometimes you are locked into an ADR and are not as hungry as you predicted you'd be 180 days ago :ssst:. There is a mac n cheese place right across from the entrance to mine train: perhaps that would be easy to munch while waiting on line, and once inside. Enjoy your vacation!

:)I'm not a fan of BOG menu either. And I'm not a picky eater. So unimpressed that I won't be back. When we went I knew my dd, 6 wouldn't eat. I ordered her plain fries and a drink knowing full well she would have eaten a morning snack and afternoon snack so she wouldn't starve. She was in heaven. I've stopped fighting her at restaurants. Better to get her something I know she'll eat. She has a peanut allergy and I think that accounts for some of her reticence. Do what works for you. Truth be told though, between you and me, Columbia Harbor House is waaaay better

No worries OP just have your son pick out something he does like from the menu, dessert, sides, a customized sandwich, whatever he does enjoy, grab him a drink and enjoy your lunch. I is a quick serve restaurant so if he wants to snack on something else let him. If he is hungry before or after there are plenty of other options for him to choose from in MK, and if he is anything like my 14 year old nephew he may enjoy having more than one "Lunch".

Ha...I know how hard this is. We are family of 5 and often go to WDW with extended family and what you say to do is impossible for us.

Not sure if this advice was given already but OP's son can order off the kid menu but they charge an upcharge to make it an adult entree from what I have heard. i'd go that route. When we ate at BOG we waited 45 minutes to be seated and then another hour to get our food so his CS brought in would be cold and icky.
To clarify my answer since some folks on here think we are "haters".
Families come to WDW to have a vacation as a family...I ASSume. I see so many families at a table all on cell phones and seem so disconnected. Kids are busy with school, etc, parents work and eating together has become a thing of the past. So that is why I suggested finding a place where the entire family likes the menu instead of the 14 yo eating elsewhere. No hate, just a different POV.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, OP, but have you considered breakfast at BOG instead? It's still QS and as a picky eater myself, the breakfast menu there is more appealing to me. Breakfast foods in general are pretty easy. Just an idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter