WWYD re:kids weight

OP since obviously no one here are experts, why not bring it up to the doctor on her next visit if it's a concern. I'm sure if her doctor saw a problem, she'd bring it up to you. I know that when I take my kids to the doctor she asks them direct questions about their diets and lifestyle habits(exercise vs. screen time etc.).
*I say "direct" questions because she wants them to answer for themselves, not for me to cover for them :rolleyes1

Don't get so hung-up on charts and what she "should be according to...". My kids are tall and thin... REALLY thin, but they are super healthy and active so it's not a worry, they'll built like their father. I'm sure it will work itself out.

I've never seen someone so emotionally invested in their darn cupcakes. :laughing:

OMG!!!!! Yes, people are VERY emotionally and psychologically vested in their food/cupcakes!!!!
That is part of the problem.

Look at the threads where people are so controlling about what others eat, even insisting that the child with nut/wheat/chocolate allergies or sensitivities just has to try that cake/casserole/whatever that they have made. Or, how about the threads about people who steal others lunches at work breakrooms or hoard from pot-luck lunches, etc...

This, ACTUALLY, I think, is the root of many eating disorders, obesity, anorexia, etc....

Do not underestimate how strongly people are vested in their food!

Her doctor is completely useless in this area. She wrote 'overweight' on a school form 2 years ago but didn't mention one word to us about her weight.

The OP actually mentioned this in her original post (above)
First, I try to really read posts before responding.
Second, I put no faith in asking any particular 'useless' general practitioner or doctor.
I have experienced some useless professionals in my time.

To the OP, even if your doctor does recognize an issue and would like to help, after their experience with many of 'those parents' who might over-react in a very negative way to any comments (which might sound like judgement) about weight and nutrition. Many might probably decide just not to to that, unless they are very specifically asked for their input and assistance.

The OP actually mentioned this in her original post (above)
First, I try to really read posts before responding.
Second, I put no faith in asking any particular 'useless' general practitioner or doctor.
I have experienced some useless professionals in my time.

To the OP, even if your doctor does recognize an issue and would like to help, after their experience with many of 'those parents' who might over-react in a very negative way to any comments (which might sound like judgement) about weight and nutrition. Many might probably decide just not to to that, unless they are very specifically asked for their input and assistance.

Which is why, before deciding the doctor is "useless", she should very specifically ask for his/her input and assistance. Just expecting the doctor to spontaneously bring it up is not very helpful. My doctor doesn't answer questions he isn't asked or give advice he's not asked for, either. I understand this, and consider him an excellent doctor overall, even if he won't hold my hand every step of the way.

Heck, even a truly incompetent doctor should be capable of referring you to a dietitian, if that's what you ask him to do!

I would definitely address this issue before your daughter's weight causes self esteem issues. Nobody likes to be overweight. Help her get her weight where it should be and make better choices about food and portions. I am sure you got tons of great advice in the previous responses, beside limiting junk food and watching her portions and making sure she doesn't eat out of boredom, get out with her and walk! Or whatever you can do where you live. Good luck, I hope it's not a big struggle but something you can do together to help her healthy and happy.

You can buy Cheez Itz at Costco in a very big red box too. It was right next to the case of organic Triscuits I bought to take to a get together this weekend to go with some things I'm bringing.
I saw that yesterday and thought wth? Organic Triscuits??

I saw that yesterday and thought wth? Organic Triscuits??

I know I'm a bit of a curmudgeon about this, but I refuse to buy organic unless it's cheaper than the non-organic option. A deliciously salty cracker is a deliciously salty cracker, no matter how you package it. Organic ingredients have the same nutritional value as non-organic ingredients. Salt is salt.

There are some excellent local farmers in my neck of the woods who can't get the "organic" designation, despite using wonderfully sustainable practices, for any number of bureaucratic reasons. And I know a local beef producer who flatly refuses to get an organic label, because it would mean he couldn't use antibiotics to treat his animals when they get infections or illnesses. He knows each of his animals by name.

So I'd rather pay more to buy local, than organic. (Not that that's an option with Triscuits! :laughing:)

Also, for me, Triscuits are a particularly yummy kind of evil. ;) It's SO hard to stick to the recommended serving size of six crackers! I always start off thinking I'll just use them as a delivery mechanism for guacamole or something, and then the next thing I know I'm grabbing another handful out of the box.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter