*** Yay May! OFFICIAL MAY 2020 THREAD!!! Flowers are starting to bloom! ***

Really kinda depends. Do you plan to rope drop a top tier ride - Slinky dog, Millennium Falcon or Mickeys railway with shortest wait after park opens? Then be there an hour plus before official park opening. If rope dropping those rides isn't important or you don't mind the wait, you only need to be there about 30 minutes early.

If you also want to ride the Rise of the Resistance ride, be sure to keep up with this thread https://www.disboards.com/posts/61536340/ paying attention to posts 1 and 2 then keeping up with new tips or instructions on obtaining a boarding pass.

I know I plan on being there before park opens to snag a boarding group I’m just not sure if my group plans on rope dropping a ride. My fast pass window is March 4th, I’m going to attempt to get MMRR for 5/4 and if that’s not available I’ll try for SDD. We’ll be there another day on our trip at night and don’t mind getting in line for smugglers at the end of the night, but that all depends on the wait times for when the FP for it opens up. I plan on keeping an eye on it before I book. I was just worried about arrival time because it is May 4th and we’ve been there before on that day but GE obviously wasn’t open so it was tolerable for us. I’m just expecting it to be verrryyy busy that day!

I was just worried about arrival time because it is May 4th and we’ve been there before on that day but GE obviously wasn’t open so it was tolerable for us. I’m just expecting it to be verrryyy busy that day!
Yeah sorry, I edited my post because I wasn't thinking about what 5/4 was. Lol. Anyway, I'm sure HS will be ready for the day and get people through the tapstiles early and quickly. It's also a Monday, so that will help limit some of the locals from going.

From a rope drop perspective, I vastly prefer 8am openings regardless of park. It’s wild how much of a difference it makes.

Not that I think it will really matter on 5/4, lol. I fully plan to be there 90 min before opening that day.
I’ll be at HS on 5/4 also and have been trying to figure out how early I should arrive!

May the force be with you both that day. I’ll be staying away from HS. 😂

What are “Dapper Days”? Will this increase crowds on May1-3?
As PP’s have mentioned, they won’t affect ride lines much but on 5/3 Dapper Day is at Epcot and it will probably make lines at the festival booths a little longer than normal (speaking from someone who has been before and experienced this).

May the force be with you both that day. I’ll be staying away from HS. 😂

Ha! My gf and I are HUGE SW fans so we literally planned this trip around the first SW Day in Galaxy’s Edge despite my birthday actually falling at the end of the month. Even with the likely crowds! We snagged Droid Depot and Savi’s that day and I’m really glad we booked at 180 because Savi’s is totally booked up for 5/4, as you’d expect. We’ll be bounding that day, too. We planned on Han & Leia but then I saw some super cute Ahsoka Tano ears on Etsy and she’s my fave from the cartoons. So now I’m torn lol.

I had no idea we would end up staying CL and with the tier changes at DHS we are hoping the CL FP will take a lot of stress out of the equation. If the VQ is still active by then we plan to get there as early as possible so we are in the park and ready to click.

Ha! My gf and I are HUGE SW fans so we literally planned this trip around the first SW Day in Galaxy’s Edge despite my birthday actually falling at the end of the month. Even with the likely crowds! We snagged Droid Depot and Savi’s that day and I’m really glad we booked at 180 because Savi’s is totally booked up for 5/4, as you’d expect. We’ll be bounding that day, too. We planned on Han & Leia but then I saw some super cute Ahsoka Tano ears on Etsy and she’s my fave from the cartoons. So now I’m torn lol.

I had no idea we would end up staying CL and with the tier changes at DHS we are hoping the CL FP will take a lot of stress out of the equation. If the VQ is still active by then we plan to get there as early as possible so we are in the park and ready to click.

Go with Ahsoka!

I think that’s the most frustrating thing, not knowing how things are going to be working with ROTR.

Worked on plans today to prepare for my March 2nd FP+ window. I moved my DHS day off of 5/4 due to expected crowds. Still tho according to Touring Plans the first week of May looks to be a good week to go. Finger crossed! Looking forward to an amazing trip.

Have had so much snow here in Colorado I am ready to move to Florida! Too bad my job kinda gets in the way of that right now! 8-) Perhaps one day!

How are everyone else’s plans going?

Go with Ahsoka!

I think that’s the most frustrating thing, not knowing how things are going to be working with ROTR.
While there are no guarantees in life, and even more so with the ride, I think the fact that all HS EMH’s moving to evening through August should give us a pretty good clue that Disney won’t be moving away from the VQ boarding passes any time soon.

Also, I was looking at Undercover Tourists crowd calendar. Either they’re super generic with their crowd levels and park to pick, or they’re skeptical of crowds being worse at HS on 5/4. They have the day listed as a 5/10 crowd level and have a green check on Hollywood Studios, meaning, they recommend that park for the day.

Also, I was looking at Undercover Tourists crowd calendar. Either they’re super generic with their crowd levels and park to pick, or they’re skeptical of crowds being worse at HS on 5/4. They have the day listed as a 5/10 crowd level and have a green check on Hollywood Studios, meaning, they recommend that park for the day.

Sorry for soapboxing, but I don’t believe in crowd calendars at all in this day and age of My Magic+. Josh from easywdw (who used to have the best ones) stopped making them around 3 years ago, and laid out the reasons why they’re an exercise in futility. Namely that Disney changes park hours at such short notice nowadays, and due to the mass amounts of data they collect from My Magic+, tend to staff down even on “low” days meaning capacity is lower and wait times won’t necessarily be any better.

I trust his judgment a lot more than the sites who still put them out, especially since nearly all of them charge for them or use them to hock their paid products. Touring Plans is especially awful considering they use outdated and irrelevant data for theirs, which is why they always have to put out posts explaining why they were so wrong. I love TP for the room request service, ADR finder and Lines app (it’s why I subscribe), but view the crowd calendars like a newspaper horoscope. Idk about UT‘s methodology but I can’t imagine it’s any better. Things change on a dime. That’s why I always prefer to just assume the worst and have a good, flexible plan.

Sorry for soapboxing, but I don’t believe in crowd calendars at all in this day and age of My Magic+. Josh from easywdw (who used to have the best ones) stopped making them around 3 years ago, and laid out the reasons why they’re an exercise in futility. Namely that Disney changes park hours at such short notice nowadays, and due to the mass amounts of data they collect from My Magic+, tend to staff down even on “low” days meaning capacity is lower and wait times won’t necessarily be any better.

I trust his judgment a lot more than the sites who still put them out, especially since nearly all of them charge for them or use them to hock their paid products. Touring Plans is especially awful considering they use outdated and irrelevant data for theirs, which is why they always have to put out posts explaining why they were so wrong. I love TP for the room request service, ADR finder and Lines app (it’s why I subscribe), but view the crowd calendars like a newspaper horoscope. Idk about UT‘s methodology but I can’t imagine it’s any better. Things change on a dime. That’s why I always prefer to just assume the worst and have a good, flexible plan.
Totally agree with you. Just thought that was funny that they have that as a day to go, which kinda proves your point - they don't know what they're talking about. I did loosely plan some of my days based on their recommended parks for a couple days, but otherwise, don't really pay it much credence. That's funny about touring plans. I thought the whole premise of their paid site was how accurate they are.

Totally agree with you. Just thought that was funny that they have that as a day to go, which kinda proves your point - they don't know what they're talking about. I did loosely plan some of my days based on their recommended parks for a couple days, but otherwise, don't really pay it much credence. That's funny about touring plans. I thought the whole premise of their paid site was how accurate they are.

TP’s problem is they include too much data. Like they include pre-Pandora data for AK even.

I get it though...people spend so much money on these trips and they want everything to be perfect. Sure some days are better than others (party days are fantastic) but for the most part you just have to assume crowds. People don’t like to hear that and want a magic bullet to solve all their planning.

TP’s problem is they include too much data. Like they include pre-Pandora data for AK even.

I get it though...people spend so much money on these trips and they want everything to be perfect. Sure some days are better than others (party days are fantastic) but for the most part you just have to assume crowds. People don’t like to hear that and want a magic bullet to solve all their planning.
Yeah for sure. I got involved in a post by one of those people yesterday. I quickly unfollowed that when I realized this person is just complaining and nothing anyone says will help them. I've told people when it comes to crowds and technical issues, have a bit of tunnel vision and focus on your own group, control the things they can, and be understanding when it comes to things beyond your control. The vacation is what you make of it. If only 1 ride determines whether the trip is a success, prepare for disappointment.

But does it go quicker or is it even more torturous? Haha

I feel like once you get to 60 time just starts skidding towards it so fast. I'm a little panicky having to nail down precise times for CL FPs to call in tomorrow since it's our 90 days. (CL FP goes by check out day rather than check in)

But does it go quicker or is it even more torturous? Haha

I've thought that once you hit 60, it moves pretty fast. There's always a bunch of last minute stuff to do - it's kind of like planning my wedding, honestly. That was years ago now, but I remember doing a bunch at the beginning and being really excited, then kind of doing nothing for many months, then rushing to the finish.

I've thought that once you hit 60, it moves pretty fast. There's always a bunch of last minute stuff to do - it's kind of like planning my wedding, honestly. That was years ago now, but I remember doing a bunch at the beginning and being really excited, then kind of doing nothing for many months, then rushing to the finish.

I only have a couple weeks until 60 days and I'm enjoying all the planning. I know some people don't like how far out you need to plan things but I like how it spreads everything out and gives me a focus. First it was where to stay then where to eat and now what to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter