• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

*** Yay May! OFFICIAL MAY 2020 THREAD!!! Flowers are starting to bloom! ***

Hey everyone! Just joining the thread! This is a really special trip for us... it’s a long story but I’ll be celebrating my big 4-0 on Saturday May 9! A trip to Disney wasn’t in the plan this year (we did a big trip in 2019 and I’m a single mom so I have been trying to cut back lol) but try as I might, I just couldn’t think of a place I would rather spend my birthday/Mother’s Day!!

My family (parents and siblings) has a lot going on so I just sort of booked a room at AKV-Jambo for my two kids and boyfriend. I let the rest of my family know, not expecting anyone to be able to join us, and within two weeks we went from a party of 4 to a party of 14!!! 😍🤪

I feel so grateful to have all of my loved ones joining me.. it’s going to be interesting as my dad will need a wheelchair this year, my sister has a baby, my boyfriend has never been (let’s be honest- if he hates WDW I might have to reconsider everything 😂) etc. But I am SO grateful to be able to spend this birthday with all the people that mean the most to me!!! 🥰

This trip is short and sweet for us so we are prioritizing new stuff (especially GE!!!), the Flower and Garden festival and some of the fancier restaurants now that my kids are older (Jiko, Tiffins, Tusker, Hollywood Brown Derby and Homecoming!!!) We are big foodies and are super excited.

Spring at WDW is amazing! Hooray for May trips! The DHS planning has got me a little crazy but no matter what it’s the people I am going with this trip that are gonna make it so special. Looking forward to catching up more on this thread as we all count down!!

Hey everyone! Just joining the thread! This is a really special trip for us... it’s a long story but I’ll be celebrating my big 4-0 on Saturday May 9! A trip to Disney wasn’t in the plan this year (we did a big trip in 2019 and I’m a single mom so I have been trying to cut back lol) but try as I might, I just couldn’t think of a place I would rather spend my birthday/Mother’s Day!!
Woohoo! Happy birthday! My 4-0 is 11 months away and even though we're hitting WDW for a week long trip this May, I'm trying to convince my wife I need a Disney cruise for my birthday.

Enjoy the planning and to experience Galaxies Edge in full, be sure to check out the first 2 posts of this strategy thread https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...nformation-read-post-1-2-no-spoilers.3782822/

My family (parents and siblings) has a lot going on so I just sort of booked a room at AKV-Jambo for my two kids and boyfriend. I let the rest of my family know, not expecting anyone to be able to join us, and within two weeks we went from a party of 4 to a party of 14!!! 😍🤪

I feel so grateful to have all of my loved ones joining me.. it’s going to be interesting as my dad will need a wheelchair this year, my sister has a baby, my boyfriend has never been (let’s be honest- if he hates WDW I might have to reconsider everything 😂) etc. But I am SO grateful to be able to spend this birthday with all the people that mean the most to me!!! 🥰

This trip is short and sweet for us so we are prioritizing new stuff (especially GE!!!), the Flower and Garden festival and some of the fancier restaurants now that my kids are older (Jiko, Tiffins, Tusker, Hollywood Brown Derby and Homecoming!!!) We are big foodies and are super excited.

Spring at WDW is amazing! Hooray for May trips! The DHS planning has got me a little crazy but no matter what it’s the people I am going with this trip that are gonna make it so special. Looking forward to catching up more on this thread as we all count down!!
How exciting and what a wonderful way to spend your birthday!! This past summer we traveled with 9, including a 9mo old and rounding everyone up every morning was surprisingly easy! Jiko is one of my favorite places to eat, it’s an adventurous eat but there’s something for everyone on the menu. You are going to have so much fun! Happy and safe travels! :flower1:

Tonight after internally freaking out about the holiday weekend ropedrop 65 second boarding group extravaganza - where even backup groups were gone 65-70 seconds after 8 and ropedrop attractions had instant 2 hour waits, I decided to book a breakfast reservation for Topolinos breakfast a la art for 9am the morning of our Hollywood Studios day. Lol.

I'll probably cancel as we get closer to the date, but the way things are now, I'm not sure we want to be in the park at rope drop. We'll head over and scan in, then leave, which is something I see as a bad idea in case tech glitches or something. We have dinner reservations at Hollywood & Vine, but did that on our last trip. I do like meeting the characters in their different outfits, which would be different this time of year for H&V but the arts would be fun too. Anyone think I'm being crazy? Haha

Tonight after internally freaking out about the holiday weekend ropedrop 65 second boarding group extravaganza - where even backup groups were gone 65-70 seconds after 8 and ropedrop attractions had instant 2 hour waits, I decided to book a breakfast reservation for Topolinos breakfast a la art for 9am the morning of our Hollywood Studios day. Lol.

I'll probably cancel as we get closer to the date, but the way things are now, I'm not sure we want to be in the park at rope drop. We'll head over and scan in, then leave, which is something I see as a bad idea in case tech glitches or something. We have dinner reservations at Hollywood & Vine, but did that on our last trip. I do like meeting the characters in their different outfits, which would be different this time of year for H&V but the arts would be fun too. Anyone think I'm being crazy? Haha

I'm with you.. this whole boarding group thing scares the you know what outta me!!

Add me to the nervous about boarding groups list. I'm also nervous about it messing with our plans. It's frustrating to book a meal six months out and then find out you might need to cancel if you're called for a ride. It does sound like they're working with people but still has me nervous.
I'm planning to try two days. One day we're going to hop over to Epcot unless we get called right away. I am going to stay in the park until I have my group. With six of us riding it feels like too much room for error if we leave. Other day we'll stay in the park. Originally I was just planning to try once but that feels really too much pressure. Also we have one more day after our second try on our trip so I'm hoping that will allow us to have that as an emergency try day. My husband really wants to ride but feels confident we'll get a group.

I know that, logically, you can tap in to DHS then leave and get your BG outside the park ... but it makes me nervous. I'm hopeful that they keep the 8:00 am openings, which at least allows some flexibility. If it's 9:00 by the time we go, that will be more annoying to work around. Personally, I wouldn't do the breakfast when you're trying to get a BG, but that's just me. As I said, it SHOULD work but I'd rather still be in the park in case of a glitch where I might have a chance of showing a GET CM right away and having something done about it.

I know that, logically, you can tap in to DHS then leave and get your BG outside the park ... but it makes me nervous. I'm hopeful that they keep the 8:00 am openings, which at least allows some flexibility. If it's 9:00 by the time we go, that will be more annoying to work around. Personally, I wouldn't do the breakfast when you're trying to get a BG, but that's just me. As I said, it SHOULD work but I'd rather still be in the park in case of a glitch where I might have a chance of showing a GET CM right away and having something done about it.
I know I know 😂 like I said, I'll probably cancel it, just makes me feel better knowing I have something else to do besides stress about the BG. Lol. Also gives me an excuse to get the family out of HS if its insanely packed like this weekend has been. I'll be there on a monday, so I really hope it's not this bad!

Last edited:
I follow Tom Brickers blog, disneytouristblog.com, and he was advising people last week to scan in at HS and hop to Epcot and I replied with the same info you stated. I think it's crazy to leave HS before BGs are active if you only have 1 or 2 chances to ride. Given how packed the park has been, it's probably not a bad idea to not be in the park in the morning, but I've basically determined we'll do the shows and our fastpasses and that's about it. If we're lucky, we'll ride rise on one of our 2 tries. Ok ok, do or do not, there is no try.

The BG situation is both logical and frustrating to me at the same time. I think it makes sense so that Disney doesn't have people standing around, not spending money, for their entire day. But at the same time, sorrynotsorry, I'm not getting up early on my vacation so I can rush to a park for the opportunity to get a pass to go on an attraction. I totally appreciate the first come, first serve mindset. I'm just frustrated that because I don't want to race to the park for rope drop, I'm accepting that I won't get to experience this. I'm hoping that when we go back in Dec '21, I'll have better odds. I would be really miffed is this was a once-every-10-years or similar type of trip. It makes sense for Disney to do it this way, I just don't have to like it. ::yes::

The BG situation is both logical and frustrating to me at the same time. I think it makes sense so that Disney doesn't have people standing around, not spending money, for their entire day. But at the same time, sorrynotsorry, I'm not getting up early on my vacation so I can rush to a park for the opportunity to get a pass to go on an attraction. I totally appreciate the first come, first serve mindset. I'm just frustrated that because I don't want to race to the park for rope drop, I'm accepting that I won't get to experience this. I'm hoping that when we go back in Dec '21, I'll have better odds. I would be really miffed is this was a once-every-10-years or similar type of trip. It makes sense for Disney to do it this way, I just don't have to like it. ::yes::
Totally get what you're saying. The good thing tho is that there are times where Backup groups are still available 2 hours after opening...not recently, but that has happened previously, so maybe it'll happen again soon...maybe?

I follow Tom Brickers blog, disneytouristblog.com, and he was advising people last week to scan in at HS and hop to Epcot and I replied with the same info you stated. I think it's crazy to leave HS before BGs are active if you only have 1 or 2 chances to ride. Given how packed the park has been, it's probably not a bad idea to not be in the park in the morning, but I've basically determined we'll do the shows and our fastpasses and that's about it. If we're lucky, we'll ride rise on one of our 2 tries. Ok ok, do or do not, there is no try.

Yeah, this site and Tom's blog are my usual go to Disney sites. I saw that post and he did say that he wasn't sure (yet) whether you could tap into DHS, leave, then tap into Epcot via IG and still get a BG. He's going to experiment and update. This is why I said I hope they keep the hours at 8:00 through our trip - it's easier to stay in DHS, get your BG and hopefully not have any technical issues, THEN head somewhere else, presumably for RD (unless you happen to score a very early BG, which I'm not counting on).

Yeah, this site and Tom's blog are my usual go to Disney sites. I saw that post and he did say that he wasn't sure (yet) whether you could tap into DHS, leave, then tap into Epcot via IG and still get a BG. He's going to experiment and update. This is why I said I hope they keep the hours at 8:00 through our trip - it's easier to stay in DHS, get your BG and hopefully not have any technical issues, THEN head somewhere else, presumably for RD (unless you happen to score a very early BG, which I'm not counting on).
I feel nervous about it, but at the same time, we're among the people practicing so we know what to do. I think as long as the button turns red right away, even if you wait a few seconds after 8 or 9 to click find out more, you'll get a low BG number.

Also, on Tom's day, he went on a day with EMH at Epcot, so if HS does open at 8 and you plan a non EMH day to ropedrop Epcot, you'll be in good shape...not if you get a low bg number, but in any other scenario, lol. Or, if the ride opens right away and you are first called, you may have time to RD epcot, but might cut it close.

I saw this earlier - Cinderella Castle will undergo a "royal makeover". It says here that it will start "in the coming weeks" and continue through summer. I don't know what the scope of the work is (though there is concept art) but I hope that doesn't mean scaffolding in all of our castle pictures for this trip.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...isney-world-resort-to-receive-royal-makeover/
Yes I’m concerned about this now and what this means for the trip in May. I know it will be beautiful when it’s complete but now I’m wondering if there will be construction going on around the castle during our trip in May, disappointing. Hoping for more details in the coming weeks especially because I’m taking someone to Magic Kingdom who has never been before and this would be their first time seeing the castle.

Yes I’m concerned about this now and what this means for the trip in May. I know it will be beautiful when it’s complete but now I’m wondering if there will be construction going on around the castle during our trip in May, disappointing. Hoping for more details in the coming weeks especially because I’m taking someone to Magic Kingdom who has never been before and this would be their first time seeing the castle.
My best guess, since they mention the shows still taking place, is that the work will be done overnight with some equipment visible in the back during the day, but not in the front. This is only a guess and I really have no idea for sure, but seems reasonable as I doubt they'd want to do the shows with people painting in the background. lol :).

I’m glad I’m not the only one having worries about boarding groups. I’ve been trying to not stress over it and my entire HS day because there’s only so much I can control with the situation. I did push back my dinner reservation at Garden Grill to 7:45 to give us enough time to experience as much as we can and if we get a high boarding number hopefully it’ll be called before we have to head over to Epcot. I didn’t book us anything at HS because honestly, I’m just not a fan of any table service places there. My main concern is just getting to ride rise and anything else we can pop back over later in the week and ride.
As for the castle construction, I’m crossing my fingers it’s not anything major. I’m taking my sisters for their first trip ever and that’ll be a bummer if it’s covered up.

I’m glad I’m not the only one having worries about boarding groups. I’ve been trying to not stress over it and my entire HS day because there’s only so much I can control with the situation. I did push back my dinner reservation at Garden Grill to 7:45 to give us enough time to experience as much as we can and if we get a high boarding number hopefully it’ll be called before we have to head over to Epcot. I didn’t book us anything at HS because honestly, I’m just not a fan of any table service places there. My main concern is just getting to ride rise and anything else we can pop back over later in the week and ride.
As for the castle construction, I’m crossing my fingers it’s not anything major. I’m taking my sisters for their first trip ever and that’ll be a bummer if it’s covered up.
Frustrating isn't it? lol. I think the best thing to do for RotR is pactice from home at 8am est to get a feel for how the app responds. In park, I think I may count to 5 after official park opening happens before clicking the Find Out More button, just to ensure the button will be red by the time I click. I only have 2 names to check and move forward, so I should get a solid BG number, but maybe more in the 30's-40's.

No Hollywood & Vine buffet for you huh? We had it when we went in Nov 2018 and liked it, so going back to see Mickey, Minnie & gang in their spring gear.

Frustrating isn't it? lol. I think the best thing to do for RotR is pactice from home at 8am est to get a feel for how the app responds. In park, I think I may count to 5 after official park opening happens before clicking the Find Out More button, just to ensure the button will be red by the time I click. I only have 2 names to check and move forward, so I should get a solid BG number, but maybe more in the 30's-40's.

No Hollywood & Vine buffet for you huh? We had it when we went in Nov 2018 and liked it, so going back to see Mickey, Minnie & gang in their spring gear.
That sounds like a good idea! I only have three others to add so I should start practicing so I’m not fumbling around, lol!

Unfortunately no, I’ve tried so many times to like it! Along with Brown Derby (😨) Im not crazy about them. Everyone always thinks I’m crazy when I say that. I’d rather pop over to Epcot. Plus this trip I’ve been planning to go to all of our favorite restaurants to take my sisters. Besides the GG character meal, we have Ohana breakfast (and dinner our first night).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter