Yellow access cards

compmom

Mouseketeer
I did a search and came up with posts that ended in May on this subject.

I went to Disney earlier this year and got to use the Yellow cards several times without incident.

We just went again 10/19 thru 10/26 and found things to be way different. The access for my ECV was still the same and the only park I had some problems in was MK(boy was it crowded!)

I tried on numerous occasions to obtain a Yellow access card for rides that had no fastpasses left and was told thid practice was discontinued in the summertime. A few of the rides that said no, were BUzz, SPLMN, TEst Track, and a couple others which escape me right now. They said it was only a test and that the practice was discontinued.
Was I lied to?

BTW- I did notice a lot more characters around the parks and I also noticed the wheelchairs in the parking lots too~!!(doesn't matter much to me since I have my own ECV)

Any info that can be added would be much appreciated.

compmom

I tried on numerous occasions to obtain a Yellow access card for rides that had no fastpasses left and was told thid practice was discontinued in the summertime.
Do you mean the cards that they were giving out where they put a return time (equal to the wait in the regular line) for you to come back to the fastpass return line?
If that's it, what was the wait time in the regular line? When we were at WDW in September of 2000, the waits were quite short in the standby lines, so it is possible they may only use those access cards at busy times. It might have been a test to see how it affected lines. I didn't hear one way or another whether it was a test or a policy.

The wheelchairs you saw in the parking lots may have been part of a wheelchair test. They were (are) experimenting with having wheelchairs avaible in parking lots that can be used to get to the park entrance.

Still looking for additional info please...

Yes, maybe they were for busy seasonal times(we were there over Easter earlier this year-what a ZOO! This past week of 10/19- 10/27 found MK to be the busiest(not like Easter, but a significantly busier than I heard it can be at this time of the year)

compmom

Here's what the official line was when we were using them:
They were for FP attractions without main-streamed stand-by queues if the stand-by wait time was longer than 15 minutes (20 at some attractions). This did not include Splash Mt, which has a main-streamed stand-by queue, but by some error, Splash Mt. was printed on the cards. There was this guy (a real jerk) who claimed he was with the justice dept and that not offering them at Splash was a violation of the ADA (even though they weren't necessary @ splash) He walked right up to me one day and started yelling about it without even asking... I don't know if he had anything to do with it, (he claimed to have spoken with the park GM, but he didn't know that she is a woman and not a man) but in any event, they were being tested at that point, and we no longer have them. I have seen blue cards that are very similar (except that they are attraction-specific ie Jungle Cruise cards are for Jungle Cruise only)... but I have never seen them used and when I asked if we were using them, I was told "No, not yet. We'll see."

I'll PM a mod if I hear anything.

Hey, guess what?
We're using the blue cards now. They are attraction-specific, and the CM will write a time to return, the date, and the number in the party. They are offered only at FP attractions without main-streamed standby queues. (Thunder, Jungle Cruise, Mansion, Pan, Space Mt... that's all I can think of.) I'm not certain, but I don't think they are available at Splash, because their standby queue is accessible up until the stairs (where both the FP and Standby queues split off to the alternate entrance.)
Hope this helps.

-Steve

Don't be confused. All any of this means ultimately is that all queues will be accessible one way or another. In some cases mainstreaming a queue would require major construction (thunder mountain), and in some cases a mainstream queue is impossible (jungle cruise). I'm not sure that this is the way I would have gone, but this is the method that has been chosen to make things run as smoothly as possible.
MK and Epcot were built before accessibility was a big thing, so there have been lots of changes in recent years. MGM and DAK are seeing fewer changes, because they were built with accessibility more in mind.

Short answer: when you visit an attraction, see the greeter out front first, and they'll point you in the right direction.
In the case of FastPass attractions, you can either get a FP or wait in the Standby Queue (the blue cards approximate a standby wait).

Wow, this red tape stuff is really sticky... how do they move in Washington?

LOL Steve! Thanks I always try to see a CM first, the problem is with DS's siblings they just want to go go and think they know the routine when taking him on attractions by themselves.

So, this is the part that I would like, if we would like to use the queue but can't because it is not accessible can we get a blue card because all the FP are gone for the day?

I had a CM turn us away because we couldn't wait in the queue (not accessible) and FP were all gone.

How would this translate to Test Track? I am also so confused....HOw about Buzz? These are the two that seem to run out of fast passes real early in the afternoon....they are the ones my DD loves to ride with me.

I have a question for Safari Steve. My GAC has a stamp that says..." The guest and his/her party should be provided any assistance necessary ( this part is underlined) to expedite their visit at the attractions." It also has hand-written to allow me to use the exit when necessary ( my chair is long with life-support attached,so it doesn't always turn in the queue lines- only in a few attractions). I always have a problem with no one reading the card. Then I get argued with because I can't get on most attractions. The card was given to me so that I'd always be able to have someone accompanying me so I'm not in an unsafe situation alone in a crowd. One time in Splash, I was told, "if the CHAIR isn't going to ride, you can't use this card" and my friends were told to go to the regular line. What can I do to avoid this kind of situation? Will I be required to get a blue card now with a wait time? The reason I ask is that going around the park several times wears out my battery and so it's difficult to go and return any distance. Sorry this was so long. I'm confused too!---Kathy

LvsTink...
The blue return cards are intended to approximate a Standby wait. If I (as an uninhibited individual) want to go on a FP attraction and there are no FPs available, I wait in the Standby queue. If someone else (as an inhibited individual w/wheels etc) wants to go on a FP attraction and there are no FPs available, they get a blue return card. The CM who turned you away was, sadly, misinformed. If you have information pertaining to the time, date, location, and CM name, pleasePleasePLEASE write WDW Guest Relations and let them know so that this miscommunication can be remedied.

DclFun...
I'm a bit confused by your situation... The only guests I have ever seen with a " Please Expedite " stamp (aka a "Green stamp") are families visiting courtesy of the Make-A-Wish foundation, whose children can not afford to lose any time in queues (to put it delicately).
Also, as I understand it, messages on the GACs are to be typed/stamped only, as verification of handwriting is difficult (who is to say that I can't write anything I want in pen?) ---This is not an accusation by any means, simply an observation---
As far as using alternate entrances: there is a stamp for that, and it would seem that you need it given your logistical constraints. The number-one problem with the GAC system (and management is well aware and has made efforts to combat it) is CMs not reading the messages (which is why I was confused at the idea of making them all the same color...) again, contact WDW Guest Relations with the information regarding that specific problem.
As far as the guest for whom the GAC was printed needing to be riding: That is policy. If you aren't riding for one reason or another, and no one else in your party needs special assistance, they should use the queue/entrance for uninhibited individuals.

Sorry for being so long... I hope this was helpful. If not, PM me and I'll be happy to try again.

Kungaloosh!

-Steve

Thanks Steve! I couldn't tell you when that happened, but now that I know I can ask if the blue card is still in use.

We try to always get FP's but there is the rare occasion things don't work out as planned.

Steve- Thanks for your reply. My GAC is stamped in green. It was given to me due to having a terminal illness and being on life-support equipment. I didn't ask for it- it's what was given to me at Epcot Guest Relations. The additional information about allowing me to use the exit was written in due to the length of my chair, also by the same CM and I also didn't ask for this. I suppose he determined that it was necessary after seeing me. I need to have someone with me at all times due to needing to be suctioned and/or the possibility of my ventilator hoses becoming detached. In that case, I could die if I didn't have someone to refasten it since I can't breathe by myself and can't use my arms. Thus, I cannot be left alone while my friends or family get in the queue line as it's a danger to my life. I can't be in close quarters to other guests as I've actually had a child swinging on my ventilator and once a father stood his son on top of it so he could see better! Once an ECV guest ran into my chair and knocked my feeding pump off. Even in the special parade viewing areas I am nervous if someone is standing behind me. We live about an hour away so we come to the parks alot for brief periods of time. Usually I bring a hospice nurse who is a volunteer if my family doesn't bring me and in that case neither of us attempts any rides- I just watch the shows and esp. like to be at AK observing the animals. If I'm with my kids though, I like to accompany them and spend my time with them, even though I'm only able to tolerate being up and out for a short time. We often stay at a resort so that I can rest in the room with one family member while everyone else is in the parks. I don't see anything wrong with using my pass at those times when I want and need to be with family and friends, and I was told that I could use it in the way I described even though I physically can get on few attractions. As you said, there is a big problem with people not reading the card. I've been sent down the FP queue line and gotten stuck before since I should have gone to the exit with my chair and equipment being so "long". Now I know which attractions are accessible that way, but usually the CM will "argue" with me about it. It gets really frustrating. Does this make sense to you any better? ---Kathy

The CM at GR should have used both stamps, I can't speak to why he hand-wrote it, as he should have known that that could cause tie-ups.
The green stamp is totally appropriate in your situation, and I certainly had no way of knowing one way or the other based on you original post. I was in no way accusing, digging, or flaming.
As far as the other issue with your party,

<<<<Yours certainly is an unusual situation, and I wish you the best, but I really don't have a better solution. Sorry.>>>>
Generalized Statement: >>>
they can probably do a modified "child-swap" situation, where someone waits with you while everyone else goes in line, and then when they get back, you trade. There is no reason that everyone in your group has to leave you alone if you don't want to/can't ride, and as long as you ask up front, I'm sure there will be few if any problems with a swap......

Steve- I didn't think you were accusing me of anything, but realized I hadn't explained things very well. If you were going to help me understand the policies, then you needed to know my specific situation and also why I had the green-stamp card. They have done the child-swap type thing in Splash before, but only after I'd been argued with as to why we all went in the exit. That's the frustrating part. I don't mind explaining, it's the arguing that gets to me. I used to work for Disney, so I know that I'd *never* have treated a guest the way I'm often treated. Thanks! It's nice to find you here on this board being so helpful.---Kathy

Yikes! Now I'm getting confused! I will be alternating between and ECV and walking and hope I can get a GAC that allows me to do this as I can't walk long distances or stand on hard surfaces for long but can't always drive safely after taking my pain meds which I will absolutely need for WDW. I try to tour like walking folks do by hitting attractions at their least crowded times and utilizing FastPass. So if I want to go on an attraction with no FP available I go to the CM and get a blue card? I will be with my dh and 3 kids. Will that be a problem? The other trips have been smooth, but it seems there has been more mainstreaming and change since our visit in 9/00. Thanks.

It seems like things have changed each time we have been to WDW, and we go every year. Thanks to Steve for helping us keep up to date.

Kathy, we've had the same problems with CMs not reading the GAC. We've also had situations where we've had to argue with CMs. My DD uses a wheelchair, but she also has multiple disabilities that make waiting in line very hard for us and we do use a GAC. The weirdest situations have been at the Land ride where a sign said all guests with wheelchairs should enter thru the fastpass return line (with or without a fastpass). The CM standing right by the sign told us that we could not use fastpass return unless we had a fastpass. We've also had CMs tell us that their line was not a mainstream line when it was listed in the Guidebook as mainstream.

I try to tour like walking folks do by hitting attractions at their least crowded times and utilizing FastPass.
We did what you plan to do over Easter time and even when it was busy, it worked well. We had a GAC, but often didn't use it because we chose to go on things when they weren't busy. They will give a GAC (or let you use the alternate access for non-mainstream rides) for up to 6 people (5 plus the person with a disability), so your group shouldn't have a problem.
Always look at the time for the standby lines. Sometimes the CMs were trying to get people to come in the standby line because the wait was only 10 or 15 minutes. A lot of people were so much of the "we need to do fastpass" mindset that they were getting fastpasses to come back in 1 hour for rides that had basically no wait. They didn't seem to understand that they could basically walk on.

Another source of information is the "Status Boards" at each park. They are located near the front of each park and they keep updating them during the day. The CMs there are good sources of information about what time to go where to avoid a wait.

If you are going to walk in some lines, my piece of advice is to find out before you get into line how far you will have to walk. For some attractions (like Bug's Life), it's a long way from the line entrance to the door of the theater. So, even if the wait is short, the line might be longer than you want to walk. Also, think about getting on the ride. If it's one that might tire you out because of needing to hold on (like Test Track or Dinosaur), you might want that ecv waiting at the exit right where you get off. Some shows (especially at the Studio) have the exit on a different side of the building that the entrance. You might want to take the ecv in for those or ask the CM where the exit is so you can park the ecv in a convenient spot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter