Yes, Really! Even MORE Vegan and Vegetarian Dining Reviews! May 8-15, 2010

I was just so tired of talking to them and not getting anything out of them at that point. I didn't even notice the hummus and falafel weren't on there until I sat down. I just didn't have the energy to get back up and talk to them about it. I was hungry and wanted to continue with my day.

Totally understandable. It's so disappointing that after all that crap with them, they didn't give you the best part of the plate, which is a major bummer. :( Sorry that they forgot the hummus and falafel!

I'm pretty confident the falafel is vegan. I think there is a possibility it could be cooked in the fryer with chicken nuggets for kids, but I've heard you could ask them to cook it in a seperate fryer.

V_gan your alot more patient than me, they wouldn't have gotten away with forgetting the two items in the first place, lol!!

Unless the falafel is different in Tangerine Cafe than Marrakesh, it isn't vegan. They told me it had eggs and dairy in it. Also, the pita has dairy in it, and even though they had an alternative, at Marrakesh they woulndn't give it to me because the ingredients said "MAY contain eggs and dairy." I love this type of food...for vegans, hummus and pita is sometimes the only thing we can eat in most restaurants! Disney really needs to step up and make this more authentic and accommodating to everyone.

On a brighter note, I am incredibly jealous that you opened up the park!! You got the BEST picture of the two of you!

Unless the falafel is different in Tangerine Cafe than Marrakesh, it isn't vegan. They told me it had eggs and dairy in it. Also, the pita has dairy in it, and even though they had an alternative, at Marrakesh they woulndn't give it to me because the ingredients said "MAY contain eggs and dairy."

According to the people I talked to last time Tangierine Cafe and Marrakesh use different foods and recipes, with Marrakesh having virtually nothing for vegans, but I could have been misinformed.

Andrea - I am really sorry to hear about your experience with whatever idiot you had to deal with at the Tangierine Cafe. It just goes to show that sometimes you get a good server, sometimes you get a bad one. The language barrier should no be too much of a hurdle to overcome because of the communication standards Disney has set up. I would complain, even if it's after the fact.

Sucks about Tangierine Cafe, but at least you got to open the park and get all those perks! How awesome!!

yummy this post is great!

Bummer about hummus...that's the best stuff.

Can I ask did you use the dining plan or just pay as you go? I didn't see any breakfast did you just skip that?

I'm in the process of planning my trip and am a vegan in training so this helps me greatly. ;)

That's really disappointing about Tangierine Cafe... it's my go-to place to eat in World Showcase. Any ideas of where else to eat a QS, vegan meal in Epcot (besides Sunshine Seasons)?

That's really disappointing about Tangierine Cafe... it's my go-to place to eat in World Showcase. Any ideas of where else to eat a QS, vegan meal in Epcot (besides Sunshine Seasons)?

Those two are the best options. I know that in Mexico when the regular CS area is open you can find some good options, but I think you have to ask to leave off the dairy. I know they have veggie burgers in America (remember to ask for the gluten free bun) and there might be another location that has the veggie burgers.

The Florida rest stop stalker is checking in! :lmao:

The banana split looks yummy! My cousin and I used to slice bananas and drench them with chocolate syrup when we were kids. Yum!

Loving the veggie lo mein - that's a DD meal for sure.

O'hana - I eat meat free on a few times a week because I simply love veggies and whole grains. The pineapple slaw looks wonderful! The soup looks very interesting. Sorry about the tempura. The desserts look devine!

Test Track with a send off from the gang! How awesome is that!

Looking forward to more pics!

Wow, how cool to open Epcot :cool1:

Shame about Tangeirine Cafe. It's so annoying when CMs don't pay attention to what you have ordered :sad2:

I just wanted to say thank you to v_gan and all those that have made suggestions/comments throughout her past and present reports. I read all of them today and they have been so helpful in realizing that I can do Disney as a vegan. When I go to Disney in December (hopefully!) it will be my first trip as a vegan and I am still somewhat scared/anxious to say the least. Thank you all for reliving some of those fears!

Beginning tomorrow I will have to start figuring out what places to dine at. :scared1: Wish me luck! And I love to read (and see) all those pictures and tips. Thanks!

I just wanted to say thank you to v_gan and all those that have made suggestions/comments throughout her past and present reports. I read all of them today and they have been so helpful in realizing that I can do Disney as a vegan. When I go to Disney in December (hopefully!) it will be my first trip as a vegan and I am still somewhat scared/anxious to say the least. Thank you all for reliving some of those fears!

Beginning tomorrow I will have to start figuring out what places to dine at. :scared1: Wish me luck! And I love to read (and see) all those pictures and tips. Thanks!

Good luck!!! I leave tomorrow for my first trip to Disney as a vegan, heck I haven't even gone as a vegan! There are so many option. I can't wait to prove It' easy!!

Andrea, we lost you! Please come back!

I've made all our ADRs for our upcoming trip, reconsidered them, changed some (I'm actually still on the fence between Mama Melrose and SciFi), added a few on and now am just obsessing... the meal I'm most nervous about is California Grill. Wondering what your and Jon's experience was there...

I'm so sorry for my absence! I haven't abandoned the reviews, I promise! I've gotten caught up in school work. I have a research paper due Wednesday, but I'll be done with my summer semester next week. So I'll have more time to get caught up! Sorry! :hug:

Thank you for posting these reviews!
I'm still working on my dining review from May with my veggie boyfriend, and I'm already planning a new trip for December with my whole family!!

I'm especially interested to hear about The Wave and 50's Prime Time. My boyfriend hates buffets and my mom and sister are very boring eaters so it's been a little difficult finding places we can all enjoy.

I bet you will be glad to be done. Can't wait to hear the rest.

School is over, me and Jon took a quick weekend trip to Florida. Now I finally have time to finish these reviews!

So after our snacks in Japan, we headed to The Seas to stare at the manatees. They were adorable, and I love them. We then rode Living with the Land, and decided to eat dinner at Sunshine Seasons before we headed to the Studios for EMH.

DDay3-6.jpg

They had Divvies cookies and caramel corn available.

DDay3-7.jpg

They also had all three flavors of Silk soymilk, as well as Silk yogurt! :cool1: I was so excited to see soy yogurt available. It was the only one there, and it was peach. So I had to get it.

DDay3-10.jpg

I ordered the Oak Grilled Vegetable Flatbread Sandwich. I asked the woman serving it if it had any egg or dairy, and she said no. I also asked about the potato salad, and she said it was fine. So that's what I got for my side.

DDay3-11.jpg

Both the sandwich and the potato salad were SO good.

DDay3-15.jpg

Inside of the sandwich. Lots of veggies!

DDay3-12.jpg

I also picked up a black bean salad, and you can pretty much make out the ingredients here.

DDay3-13.jpg

It was really very good, but they just don't give you enough!

DDay3-14.jpg

Dessert!

DDay3-16.jpg

I was a pig during this meal. But I guess I had to make up for lunch :lmao:

DDay3-8.jpg

Jon ordered the Tofu and Vegetable Noodle Bowl, and picked up a salad.

DDay3-9.jpg

Jon really liked the soup, but I didn't think it was that great. The tofu had a really nice, firm texture. But there just wasn't much taste.

I am so glad we went back to Sunshine Seasons. I think I might have to cross Tangerine Cafe off of my list next time.. Especially since I went there twice on this trip :scared1:

After dinner, we rode Spaceship Earth and left for the Studios. We didn't really do too much, since the lines for most things were pretty long. But it was a fun day.

Up Next: Tusker House and The Wave!

Another day at Animal Kingdom! We did rope drop, Expedition Everest, Primeval Whirl, It's Tough to be a Bug, met Flik (my hero), and watched Festival of the Lion King. We had lunch reservations at Tusker House for 11:55, and we got there about five minutes early and were seated right on time.

DDay4-1.jpg

When we sat down, we explained to our server that I was vegan, and he had a chef some out and take us through the buffet. It was mostly the same items as last time, except this time the chef offered us ice cream and Divvies at the end of our meal. He just told us to ask the server when we were ready for them. He also asked if we were interested in any of the non-vegan items that he could make vegan (the samosas and the orzo salad). But I remembered how much we were brought the last time, and I just asked if I could get some samosas.

I guess I'll start by taking you on a vegan tour of the buffet :goodvibes

DDay4-6.jpg

All vegan! Whole fruit (apples and bananas), Season fresh fruit, Curried rice salad with golden raisins, Fresh green bean and red onion salad, Tunisian couscous salad.

DDay4-7.jpg

Vegan: Saffron-infused root vegetables and cabbage.

DDay4-8.jpg

Vegan: Jollaf rice, Spiced vegetable and tofu tandoori (I'm pretty sure I was told this wasn't vegan the last time I came, but the chef said it was vegan on this trip :confused3)

DDay4-9.jpg

Vegan: Spicy African preserves, Mango chutney, Mixed dried fruit chutney, Hummus, Tabooli

DDay4-13.jpg

Vegan: Marrakesh couscous, Roasted poatoes

DDay4-14.jpg

DDay4-15.jpg

The only breads I remember him saying were vegan were the cornbread, the pecan rolls, the pumpkin seeds rolls, and the pita bread, but there might have been another.

DDay4-3.jpg

My first plate: Tandoori tofu, tabooli, Tunisian couscous salad, Green bean and red onion salad, roasted potatoes, jollaf rice, Marrakesh couscous, mealie cornbread.

I love-love-loved the Tunisian couscous salad this time around. Everything was was good, but this was my favorite. I think I may have eaten too much of the Marrakesh couscous on our last trip to really enjoy it on this one, but it was still tasty.

DDay4-4.jpg

Jon's first plate: Pearl couscous with sweet basil, tandoori tofu, saffron-infused vegetables, green beans (with butter - not the salad), mashed potatoes, a roll, roasted potatoes, Marrakesh couscous, mealie cornbread.

Pretty sure he liked everything except for the saffron vegetables.

While we were working on our first plates, our server brought out the samosas that were fried in a separate fryer:
]
DDay4-5.jpg

DDay4-10.jpg

Next I headed to the buffet for some chutneys! I got a little of each.

DDay4-11.jpg

I also got a pecan/dried fruit roll and some pita bread for the chutneys. The chutneys weren't as good as last time. But I loved the pecan roll!

DDay4-12.jpg

Jon's second plate: Various fruits, a pickle, Tunisian couscous salad, orzo salad, mango chutney. Jon didn't like the chutney.

So.. I went back up for another plate of my favorites :lmao:

DDay4-19.jpg

Tunisian couscous, tandoori tofu, mealie cornbread, tabooli, roasted potatoes, green bean salad. I also got a bit of hummus to try, as well as one of the pumpkin seed rolls.

I still don't like their hummus. :confused:

DDay4-16.jpg

Jon picked up an apple and some gross-looking desserts that I can't remember what they were. It looks like fudge and a chocolate cup with raspberry mousse.. But I don't know. Of course he loved everything, and he stuffed the apple in our backpack for later. :rolleyes1

DDay4-20.jpg

I asked our server about dessert, and the chef came out with chocolate Tofutti and two packages of Divvies cookies. I ate the ice cream, and we took the cookies for snacking on later :wizard:

Overall, I still really, really love Tusker House. It's really the best option for vegans and vegetarians at Animal Kingdom. I'll probably never go back to Disney without eating here, unless their selection changes dramatically. I love Tusker House!

Up Next: The Wave!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter