Yes, Tonga Toast is REALLY that good!

Doc Goofy

Mouseketeer
I had this on my list of "must dos" this year and I'm glad I did. We went to the Polynesian on the morning that we checked out of the CR and were on our way to the airport. My husband, with his excellent memory, was able to lead us right to Captain Cook's. It has been years since we stayed at the Poly...

Now that is an efficient, bustling place! We shortly had our food and were settled outside in that little courtyard to eat.

Oh the Tonga Toast... So big and square and evenly toasted. But when you cut into it, the center is so soft! The layer of bananas in the middle had produced a sort of slightly fermented layer of juiciness that was just declicous - almost as if it had a bit of rum in it. Each bite was perfectly crunchy and sweet on the outside, soft and flavorful on the inside. I dipped each bite into the provided container of syrup. Heavenly! :angel:

I would never have believed I could have eaten such a gigantic thing. And never even considered getting a picture until I had wolfed it down. Perhaps someone has a picture they can attach?

Tonga is my favorite breakfast item in all the World. Ate it twice on a recent trip and yes, I gained 4 pounds!

It is a bread miracle!!!!!!!!!!!! Sweet, puffy, bananany goodness that leaves you with a sugar high!

My nephew and his girfriend just got back on Christmas Eve from a one week WDW trip. He oh so lovingly sent me a picture of their Tonga Toast from Kona one day and the very next day a picture of their Tonga Toast from Captain Cook's :rotfl: . Yes, they had Tonga Toast two days in a row :laughing: . I "guess" they really liked it :cool1: . They really liked WDW, as they just became DVC members yesterday :goodvibes . Aaah the magic of Disney at work :wizard: .

Tonga toast definitely sounds delicious!! I just wish that I liked bananas. :sad:

Ditto! I can't stand the smell of bananas...think it comes from having to eat one every day I was pregnant with my second child! I have to have my husband smoosh the bananas when I make him his banana bread so that I don't get sick.

I had Tonga Toast many times as a child on WDW trips with my family. I was not a fan of bananas at the time and had no problem requesting my Tonga Toast "bananaless" :cool1: .

Thanks for the link to the pic... Tastes even better than it looks, though, doesn't it?

I had NO idea you could get Tonga Toast bananaless. Wow! I assumed they were pre-assembled or something. I'll bet it's still delicious. :lovestruc

We'll have Tong Toast for our "Last Breakfast" on the 17th. I am so excited- it IS fantastic!!!

Sounds so yummy, and I'm quite excited to try one in May! :banana:

I do have a question though: is the Tonga Toast at Kona the same as the Tonga Toast served at Captain Cook's? I was wondering because while we do have an ADR for Kona one morning, it would be nice to cancel that and just go to Captain Cook's whenever we can fit it in our schedule.

Tonga Toast is number one on my list of 'must eats' for Disney World in April. I can't wait to try it and just hope it lives up to the reviews :)

I haven't had the Tonga Toast at Kona but have been told by several sources that it is the same. I felt the same way about it you do. I was pretty sick of ADR's by the end of my trip - nice to have a few meals you can just fit in.

Anyone know the hours for Captain Cook's? Can you get some of this Tonga Toast before heading to the park??:banana:

After much discussion on how great the Tonga Toast is, I tried it at Kona 3 weeks ago. I just found it too sickly sweet. Blech! I could only force down less than half of it. I love pancakes, french toast, waffles etc, but this stuff was a big disapointment. However, in all fairness, I got sick on the third day of our vacation, so it took me quite a while to get my appetite back. I wasted 2 days(on the DDP premium too!:sad2: ) by only being able to stomach crackers and ginger ale. I guess all the fancy, rich food was too much for me and the tonga toast on our last day there was wasted on me.

Well being a tonga toast groupie I say heck to the tag fairy....bring on the tonga toast fairy, THAT WOULD BE SOMETHING!!!!!:banana::banana::banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter