Yet Another Adventurer's Club Rumor

Has Disney EVER righted a wrong in this way? (i.e. removed something of significance, and then brought it back?) Bringing it back exactly as it was would be admitting to a major mistake...that won't happen.

They brought back the DL Submarines, as a Nemo ride.

They brought back the DL Submarines, as a Nemo ride.

Right, but that was the point I was arguing - it might come back, but it won't be exactly the same...but could still be better than what we have now, which is nothing.

hhmm interesting thread. I take this rumor with a grain of salt because I've spent a good amount of time following rumors about the entire island since it closed and at this point, there seems to be no validity left to anything.

Disney closed PI because they obviously wanted OUT of the night life business. There are SEVERAL things they could have done to keep the entire complex operating. Promotion would have been a nice step in the right direction. It seems they really don't care that their guests are back in bed while HHN and the citywalk crowd exit US in mass numbers at 2am.

Now to the poster who said she's never been to PI...that's fine. First off, I agree with others that it was more than just a drinking and dancing place. While AC has been featured in this thread, I was a HUGE fan of CW. I love comedy and feel it's one of the greatest stress relievers you can have. They took away 2 excellent comedy venues for what? NOTHING because the whole flippin island is EMPTY. CW and AC were both unique venues that provided fun both with and without alcohol.

The reality is that there IS a segment of WDW visitors who want to do something at night and yes, it involves alcohol and dancing. PI provided a safe, clean, smoke free environment in the way that only Disney could, with extensive themes and excellent entertainment. Mannequins once won best club in the southeast(btw, the line might not have been as long as AC, but it also holds 1400 people) and you still can't find anywhere in Orlando to hear 70s and 80s on a nightly basis(only thursdays at the groove) For some people, the experience at PI was about a change in personality, confidence building, and most importantly, friendship building. The people who worked and visited PI were a family.

I was not a frequent visitor of AC, in fact I only went in a couple times because my bf at the time loved it. However, I give my support to the AC people and their cause in the hopes that if support is needed for those who mourn the loss of mannequins/8-trax/CW, it will be provided by the AC people.

Kongaloosh
"void where prohibited, except in Nabraska"
"MMAANNEEQQQUUIINNSSSS haha of course"
"I will survive"

God, Bill, Disney would get about a 10-year pass on any other changes they make on-site from me if this happens. You can feel optimistic, but I cannot. Has Disney EVER righted a wrong in this way? (i.e. removed something of significance, and then brought it back?) Bringing it back exactly as it was would be admitting to a major mistake...that won't happen. The best we could hope for is a return in some form...and it won't be the same. Do you think they would put an "adult's only" club at one of the resorts? Doesn't seem practical to me. (I have been in a very pessimistic mood lately...so maybe I should be more open.)
AC was not an adults only club and several children really enjoyed that club. Even if they did not always understand the humor, they enjoyed the show aspect of it. I think it would make a great addition to a resort.

AC was not an adults only club and several children really enjoyed that club. Even if they did not always understand the humor, they enjoyed the show aspect of it. I think it would make a great addition to a resort.

Agreed...I didn't think it got above a PG-13 level really (although its been quite a while since I made it to the later library shows), and even if they made it PG I don't think it would really lose anything anyways.

Well, it USED to be adults only...they started allowing kids into AC (and Pleasure Island in general) was the beginning of the downfall...however I will say that the early kids stuff was entertaining...but the later shows tended to get a little more off-color when the night wore on. I agree PG-13, but I don't necessarily want my 6 year old listening to PG-13 humor, even if most of it went over her heads...but I enjoyed the more adult aspect of the humor, and word worry an all-ages show would need to be diluted further.

And Zulemara - You are right that CW was a great venue, very entertaining! And I totally love improv. However, Improv Comedy is quite widely available throughout the country...we have a ComedySportz troop here in Buffalo that is freakin' hilarious...and Second City is 90 minutes away in Toronto, so while CW might be great, it wouldn't get me to travel 1500 miles...only AC would do that. I think that's the reason that AC gets so much more support here, there is nowhere else you can go to even come close to that experience.

(Here I am getting sad again...):sad2:

Well, it USED to be adults only...they started allowing kids into AC (and Pleasure Island in general) was the beginning of the downfall...however I will say that the early kids stuff was entertaining...but the later shows tended to get a little more off-color when the night wore on. I agree PG-13, but I don't necessarily want my 6 year old listening to PG-13 humor, even if most of it went over her heads...but I enjoyed the more adult aspect of the humor, and word worry an all-ages show would need to be diluted further.

Pleasure Island did not used to be entirely "Adults Only". When it first opened, Videopolis
East was an under 21 club. Both Comedy Warehouse and Adventurers Club have always admitted 18+, but also allowed those under 18 if accompanied by parent.

This is from the Wikipedia article on Adventure's Club:

"On September 26, 2009 it was confirmed that props from the Club would be sent to Hong Kong Disneyland. The Club, in a new form, will be part of the Mystic Point expansion that was announced at the D23 Expo. Specific details have not been announced and there is currently no information on what will replace the Club at Pleasure Island." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventurers_Club

I also so this on the facebook "Return our Adventurere's Club" posting from Sept. 29th: Just returned from the event hosted by wdwradio at the AC last night. It was confirmed by the suits in... the joint that the AC will NOT be returning in any shape form or fashion.All of the major artifacts will be going to Hong Kong- To settle any rumors of some artifacts already having shipped, it isn't true. Other than the booze and kungaloosh machine, everything is still there. I asked about the replacement Colonel and was told that "EVERYTHING" is still on site and will be shipped as a lot to HK.It was really sad- all of the CMs were teary-eyed throughout the evening.

You might want to listen to this podcast: http://www.wdwradio.com/WDW-Radio-Show-Disney-Podcast/Show-139-October-4-2009.html This talks about one of the last private events to be held at the Adventurers Club. Lou Mongello said that cast members there "hinted that Hong Kong might be the place to see the Adventurers Club again."

Well, however it appears in Hong Kong - I will never see it.

Skier Pete, save all those frequent flyer miles you're getting from your trips to Disney World and cash them in for a ticket to HKG. Might take a few years but Mystic Point isn't opening anytime soon either.

Frankly, I don't understand how an Adventurers Club if done in a similar format as Orlando would go over in Hong Kong. Yes it is a former British colony and most people speak English but the native tongue is Cantonese. The whole "adventuring" concept is a British thing that easily adapted to American culture but Chinese culture is a completely different animal. If shows were still presented in English, I think the nuances and play on words would get lost on the audience. If presented in Cantonese, well, its going to be impossible to understand for nearly all tourists. So AC really makes no sense to exist anywhere but here. That said, and regardless of the official announcement that everything is going to be shipped to Hong Kong, I'm skeptical that it really is. I'm aware of certain things that would hint at it staying right here in Orlando. (But I don't really know.)

BobK/Orlando

Frankly, I don't understand how an Adventurers Club if done in a similar format as Orlando would go over in Hong Kong. Yes it is a former British colony and most people speak English but the native tongue is Cantonese. The whole "adventuring" concept is a British thing that easily adapted to American culture but Chinese culture is a completely different animal. If shows were still presented in English, I think the nuances and play on words would get lost on the audience. If presented in Cantonese, well, its going to be impossible to understand for nearly all tourists. So AC really makes no sense to exist anywhere but here. That said, and regardless of the official announcement that everything is going to be shipped to Hong Kong, I'm skeptical that it really is. I'm aware of certain things that would hint at it staying right here in Orlando. (But I don't really know.)

BobK/Orlando

I agree with all this. In addition, there really hasn't been any indication that they intend for the Adventurers Club in Hong Kong to be like the real AC. They've confirmed that there will be a restaurant by that name, and that it will likely use some of the decorations from the current club - but they haven't said that it will employ actors at all. My suspicion is that it will just end up being a highly themed restaurant (similar to Rainforest Cafe and the like) and nothing more.

Even though the cast was joking quite a bit on that final weekend about the stuff from the Club heading to Hong Kong, in reality none of them seem to know more than the rest of us do. Some of them are still hoping that eventually the Club will return to Orlando, but no one is holding their breath.

Has Disney EVER righted a wrong in this way? (i.e. removed something of significance, and then brought it back?) Bringing it back exactly as it was would be admitting to a major mistake...that won't happen.

Sorry late to the thread, but just had to remind everyone of the farewell we all gave the Electric Light Parade in order to may way for Light Magic? Ok, this was in DL not WDW but still it is an instance where the Parade was "to close, never to be seen again" I still have the light bulbs that I bought as a rememberance (a donation to a children's charity). Light Magic was a failure and the Electrical Light Parade was brought back. Granted they did move it over to California Adventure, but it was brought back by popular demand in exactly the same format as before (they wouldn't dare change the music).

I'm going to cross my fingers that the rumor is true. I was at the ConGaloosh event on September 25, 2009 and it was great to get back into the club and see the performers and shows. If it were to move to AKL I'd be in line every night we visit FL.

Kungaloosh!!!

They might need to schedule Adventure shows three ways at HKDL: English, Mandarin, and Cantonese. Spanish or French, too, anyone?

Other shows and also the Jungle Cruise are tri-lingual, alternating boats for the latter.

I think there is a bit of confusion - the OP is saying that it is going to the Animal Kingdom LODGE, not the park...but as I said it could be a corruption of the Jim Hill rumor as well.

Presumably the rumored "mini PI" would have been within walking distance of the Lodge, to capture that built-in audience. (The MK version was to be in the current TTC location, giving it monorail access to the 3 hotels, by way of comparison.)

Presumably the rumored "mini PI" would have been within walking distance of the Lodge, to capture that built-in audience. (The MK version was to be in the current TTC location, giving it monorail access to the 3 hotels, by way of comparison.)

Jason, somehow I missed that rumor. You're saying that each theme park was to get their own "mini PI"? What were these places to consist of, clubs & restaurants?

Does make some sense. One of the reasons CityWalk is so successful is because you have to walk through it to get to the theme parks. The CityWalk food court has been jammed at 2am lately because that's when HHN lets out and everyone must pass by.

BobK/Orlando

Jason, somehow I missed that rumor. You're saying that each theme park was to get their own "mini PI"? What were these places to consist of, clubs & restaurants?

Does make some sense. One of the reasons CityWalk is so successful is because you have to walk through it to get to the theme parks. The CityWalk food court has been jammed at 2am lately because that's when HHN lets out and everyone must pass by.

BobK/Orlando

Yeah, I first heard it in the final months of PI, then there was some brief discussion of it last Fall. If you search the archives here, or another "magic" board, you might find a thread or two on it, but the details were sparse. I assumed a combination of clubs and restaurants, sort of CityWalk-like in that they'd be near the parks, but as I recall, the only solid info was that the AC was being considered for the AK one, and that the MK one would be at the TTC (possibly tied to a a new parking garage being built). I always kind of thought that the Night Kingdom rumors probably were connected somehow--it would have given corporate clients something to do after they got done with the tour--but that's just speculation on my part.

I could see the AC at AKL and maybe something else over with the magic kingdom hotels. The other location might be Coronado Springs with a more tropical feel to the AC. I don't really see it in BW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter