• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Yikes! $14 parking!

I think that Disney (and DVC in large part) have done an amazing job at increasing occupancy levels across the board. Unfortunately that means that those used to the lower wait times will suffer. Alas, they are getting closer to the target that they are aiming for - 100% efficiency by 100% occupancy. At that point, they may (hopefully?) have no other choice than to open a 5th gate to under to accommodate all the guests...

$14 only sounds lousy because we shell out so much for a Disney trip. But compared to the rest of the country, as other posts have stated, $14 is a bargain.

With support for higher prices like this, parking will go to $17 in 2010 and $20 in 2011. Does anyone else remember parking at MK costing $.50 when they first opened? I thought that was a rip-off.....after all I was already paying them $7 to get into the park!

BobK/Orlando

I think that Disney (and DVC in large part) have done an amazing job at increasing occupancy levels across the board. Unfortunately that means that those used to the lower wait times will suffer. Alas, they are getting closer to the target that they are aiming for - 100% efficiency by 100% occupancy. At that point, they may (hopefully?) have no other choice than to open a 5th gate to under to accommodate all the guests...

Don't excpect Disney to open a 5th park just because they sell out the DVC. They don't really care to give people more space to move around in. They are there to collect as much $$$$ as possible {DVC memberships} and not adding anything to the entertainment {parks} The parks are at the bursting point now with all of the people on property. {DVC and otherwise} Disney ain't gonna spend any more money on new parks. Just tear down something that is already in the parks and put something else in. Ohh, look at us! We gave the guests more things! {but in the same amount of space}:sad2:

Don't excpect Disney to open a 5th park just because they sell out the DVC. They don't really care to give people more space to move around in. They are there to collect as much $$$$ as possible {DVC memberships} and not adding anything to the entertainment {parks} The parks are at the bursting point now with all of the people on property. {DVC and otherwise} Disney ain't gonna spend any more money on new parks. Just tear down something that is already in the parks and put something else in. Ohh, look at us! We gave the guests more things! {but in the same amount of space}:sad2:

Oh, I'm far beyond expecting anything LOGICAL... :)

But, if they ever reach the point that on-site guests have difficulty actually getting in to the parks due to capacity reasons, they may in fact be forced to open a 5th gate, because they do generally guarantee that as a resort guest you are able to visit A park. They may be far from that level though...

Opening a 5th gate is a very expensive proposition, and one that would probably not realize profits directly for quite a lot of time. But it may come to pass that in order to maintain occupancy (especially if Disney/DVC keep realizing new rooms), they may have no choice but to take the expense.

DVC is a strange business model. In order to maintain income, they MUST continue selling. To do that, they need to keep building, at least to the point that they start reclaiming property in 2042.

At least we can all hope...

I cringe when I hear the suggestion that Disney needs to improve occupancey levels. There are far too many bodies on property now. Lines are too long for EVERYTHING, including restaurants. The slow {supposed} economy is not having an effect on the number of people on Disney property. Regardless of what numbers Disney puts out there, the parks and resorts are mobbed. Fueled by these "free dining" and "buy 4 nights get 3 free" deals. We live close by, and go there quite often, and believe me, the parks ARE crowded. We did not see any slow downs on property at all.

Since I keep seeing the same comments in nearly every post, I would be curious to hear exactly when it is that you visit the parks.

We spent about 15 days this year at Disney parks and the only day where things were unexpectedly busy was a weekend at Epcot during the Food & Wine fest. Aside from that we had waits of 10 minutes or less for pretty much ever attraction.

One day we arrived at DAK more than an hour after opening. The safari was a walk-on and crowds were so low that they offered to let everyone ride again without debarking. One evening pretty much everything at Epcot was a walk-on including Spaceship Earth, Mission Space and Test Track. Soarin had a posted wait of 20 minutes but we didn't make it over.

So we were 14 out of 15 in terms of crowds being as-expected or lower. When exactly are all of these long lines appearing during normally slow periods?

Since I keep seeing the same comments in nearly every post, I would be curious to hear exactly when it is that you visit the parks.

We spent about 15 days this year at Disney parks and the only day where things were unexpectedly busy was a weekend at Epcot during the Food & Wine fest. Aside from that we had waits of 10 minutes or less for pretty much ever attraction.

One day we arrived at DAK more than an hour after opening. The safari was a walk-on and crowds were so low that they offered to let everyone ride again without debarking. One evening pretty much everything at Epcot was a walk-on including Spaceship Earth, Mission Space and Test Track. Soarin had a posted wait of 20 minutes but we didn't make it over.

So we were 14 out of 15 in terms of crowds being as-expected or lower. When exactly are all of these long lines appearing during normally slow periods?
We spend roughly 45 to 60 days {it varies year to year} each 365 day time frame at the parks
and we always run into big crowds everywhere. ( now, these are trips of various lengths. 1 day, 3 day, week long, etc. DW has a job that gives here VERY flexible hours, and I am retired, so we have the time}I guess we were getting used to the "good old" days back in the beginning of the DVC and before new management started loading the parks with bodies, so I guess we were getting used to the "easy" or "light" crowds. As the years rolled by, things just continually got worse. We actually used to make a reservation literally days before we wanted to go. Try to do that nowadays. :sad1:
Our visits are spread out through the entire year, by the way.

We spend roughly 45 to 60 days {it varies year to year} each 365 day time frame at the parks
and we always run into big crowds everywhere. ( now, these are trips of various lengths. 1 day, 3 day, week long, etc. DW has a job that gives here VERY flexible hours, and I am retired, so we have the time}I guess we were getting used to the "good old" days back in the beginning of the DVC and before new management started loading the parks with bodies, so I guess we were getting used to the "easy" or "light" crowds. As the years rolled by, things just continually got worse. We actually used to make a reservation literally days before we wanted to go. Try to do that nowadays. :sad1:
Our visits are spread out through the entire year, by the way.

But again all you've given are generalities. Personally I have trouble assigning ANY credibility to someone who claims that they spend 45-60 days in the parks each year and speaks in such absolutes, stating that he "always" runs into "big crowds everywhere."

Like I said in my post, I spent a measly 15 days in the parks this year with a few days in February, June and October. Aside from the handful of premier attractions at each park (Soarin, Toy Story Mania, Everest), we never wait more than 10-15 minutes and often the attractions are virtual walk-ons. Even attractions with long standby lines are quite manageable with FastPass.

In my opinion, crowd levels and wait times have been virtually unchanged for the last 5-6 years. Going back to 2002-2004 things were much lighter. But that was in the wake of 9/11 when tourism was down and the travel industry was still trying to recover. It was that 3-year period which was the anomaly. Prior to 9/11 things were just as busy as they are today--some claim they were even busier.

Lacking any specifics, this just comes across as sour grapes. Everything is awful....used to be better....Disney stinks...Iger is greedy....blah, blah, blah. :headache:

I was there 18 total days in 09 on 3 trips (2 waterpark days) and never saw a line that said it was over 20 and never waited more than 12 except for the Safari which was delayed by an animal in the road for almost 15.

May September & December

With support for higher prices like this, parking will go to $17 in 2010 and $20 in 2011. Does anyone else remember parking at MK costing $.50 when they first opened? I thought that was a rip-off.....after all I was already paying them $7 to get into the park!

BobK/Orlando

Yes, $14 stinks. And it would stink no matter what they charge. And yes, some day it WILL be 17. And that will happen whether we gripe on a message board or not. People will complain whether they charge $5 or $25. They will keep raising the rates because people will pay it. $14 stinks in 2009 just as 50 cents stunk almost forty years ago.
Movies used to be 50 cents at one time. Now we pay ten bucks. By 2011 it will probably be up to 12. And let's not even discuss the price of a bucket of popcorn.....

I wonder if they've ever considered multi-day parking passes. (Anyone know if they ever did that in the past?) They could charge a weekly rate, which might save people a few dollars. It would also speed up the lines at the booths as many people could just flash a valid pass. Although they lose a few dollars per car doing the weekly rate it wouldn't cost them any loss as some would buy a weekly pass and not actually use it every day. Basically the same concept as the park tickets. I'm also surprised they don't have a premium rate of some sort. By paying a higher fee you get to park in a designated area (the spots closest to the gates) or get a designated tram just for premium users. This concept is used most everywhere else (like airports or sports arenas - the closer you park, the more you pay). Even at the resorts the rows closest are usually for valet cars, the rest of us park further away. While I don't advocate they do any of this, I'm just surprised they haven't done it seeing as it would be more money for their greedy eyes.

But again all you've given are generalities. Personally I have trouble assigning ANY credibility to someone who claims that they spend 45-60 days in the parks each year and speaks in such absolutes, stating that he "always" runs into "big crowds everywhere."

Like I said in my post, I spent a measly 15 days in the parks this year with a few days in February, June and October. Aside from the handful of premier attractions at each park (Soarin, Toy Story Mania, Everest), we never wait more than 10-15 minutes and often the attractions are virtual walk-ons. Even attractions with long standby lines are quite manageable with FastPass.

In my opinion, crowd levels and wait times have been virtually unchanged for the last 5-6 years. Going back to 2002-2004 things were much lighter. But that was in the wake of 9/11 when tourism was down and the travel industry was still trying to recover. It was that 3-year period which was the anomaly. Prior to 9/11 things were just as busy as they are today--some claim they were even busier.

Lacking any specifics, this just comes across as sour grapes. Everything is awful....used to be better....Disney stinks...Iger is greedy....blah, blah, blah. :headache:

Wow, your a mean spirited person. I'm just telling it like it is.......

Wow, your a mean spirited person. I'm just telling it like it is.......

My point is that you're not actually telling us anything.

You seem to be the only person consistently crowing about how crowds are always large and "lines are too long for EVERYTHING." Yet you never bother to qualify those statements.

When did you visit the parks? What sort of wait times did you experience? What do you personally consider to be acceptable?

Given that my perceptions are vastly different and you are unwilling to provide any detail, I'm forced to conclude that either:

1. You have unrealistic expectations (i.e. think that lines for Soarin or TSM should be <10 minutes year-round), or

2. You aren't even viewing the parks in any objective manner and have already drawn your own conclusions before even entering the gates.

My point is that you're not actually telling us anything.

You seem to be the only person consistently crowing about how crowds are always large and "lines are too long for EVERYTHING." Yet you never bother to qualify those statements.

When did you visit the parks? What sort of wait times did you experience? What do you personally consider to be acceptable?

Given that my perceptions are vastly different and you are unwilling to provide any detail, I'm forced to conclude that either:

1. You have unrealistic expectations (i.e. think that lines for Soarin or TSM should be <10 minutes year-round), or

2. You aren't even viewing the parks in any objective manner and have already drawn your own conclusions before even entering the gates.
Wow, I would love to answer your questions, but you are coming across as a "not very nice person"
:confused3

Yes, $14 stinks. And it would stink no matter what they charge. And yes, some day it WILL be 17. And that will happen whether we gripe on a message board or not. People will complain whether they charge $5 or $25. They will keep raising the rates because people will pay it. $14 stinks in 2009 just as 50 cents stunk almost forty years ago.
Movies used to be 50 cents at one time. Now we pay ten bucks. By 2011 it will probably be up to 12. And let's not even discuss the price of a bucket of popcorn.....

I wonder if they've ever considered multi-day parking passes. (Anyone know if they ever did that in the past?) They could charge a weekly rate, which might save people a few dollars. It would also speed up the lines at the booths as many people could just flash a valid pass. Although they lose a few dollars per car doing the weekly rate it wouldn't cost them any loss as some would buy a weekly pass and not actually use it every day. Basically the same concept as the park tickets. I'm also surprised they don't have a premium rate of some sort. By paying a higher fee you get to park in a designated area (the spots closest to the gates) or get a designated tram just for premium users. This concept is used most everywhere else (like airports or sports arenas - the closer you park, the more you pay). Even at the resorts the rows closest are usually for valet cars, the rest of us park further away. While I don't advocate they do any of this, I'm just surprised they haven't done it seeing as it would be more money for their greedy eyes.

GOOD IDEA!! I Would Buy One! Another way to avoid parking is to buy a season pass for someone in your party. We are there more than once a year and have season passes anyway, but last year our friends bought a season pass for the person who drove to the park everyday - parking is free with a season pass. They saved money because the difference in cost to buy the pass was less than the parking for the days they were there.

Yeah, all you can do is pay it. We are going to be there a week, so it will cost us $98 just in parking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter