• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Yikes! $14 parking!

mitros

<font color=red>I'm not nuts, I just appear to be<
WDW has just raised the parking fees to $14 from $12. Way to go Disney! I guess Iger wants to make up the "loss" he suffered in his salary recentley. :sad2::eek:

The parking prices were raised in August. Where have you been since then?

Yep. Unfortunately this happened back in August. You see folks, in tough times when the public is struggling financially, the best (moral) thing to do is hike prices so that.....oh silly me. Now I'm beginning to sound like Disney. *Doh! :headache:

Costs on everthing are going up everywhere.
It's not just Disney it's the whole ecomony.

No issues with the parking, I don't pay for it, yeah for a really expensive free parking pass called DVC.

Costs on everthing are going up everywhere.
It's not just Disney it's the whole ecomony.
Not really, inflation is very low which means prices are not raising drastically. In this case the increase is over 15% which is not in keeping with the economic conditions.

Was at Gillette Stadium south of Boston recently...

Here are the rates for a football game......

$40 for cars
$125 for RVs
$125 for Limos
$200 for buses
$40 for motorcycles

All of a sudden Disney is a bargain! :thumbsup2

Was at Gillette Stadium south of Boston recently...

Here are the rates for a football game......

$40 for cars
$125 for RVs
$125 for Limos
$200 for buses
$40 for motorcycles

All of a sudden Disney is a bargain! :thumbsup2

In 1997, I paid 86$ to park a rental car at Rockefeller Center for four hours.

Yeah. Four. Hours.

I shudder to think what they charge today.

Knox

In 1997, I paid 86$ to park a rental car at Rockefeller Center for four hours.

Yeah. Four. Hours.

I shudder to think what they charge today.

Knox

Parking in Manhattan is insane. Valet at minimum is $60/day at any place I've stayed at and self park varies depending on location. Anything below Central Park to a few blocks South of Times Square is $60 - $80 a day with a few spikes in specific locations. Then the costs drop off $10 - $15 until you get to Downtown in the Financial District where they shoot up again (I don't venture down that far usually).

I'm not against paying for parking, people forget it costs money (and a lot of it) to maintain lots and staff the lots. If you're staying on-site you're "paying" for a lot of the stuff Disney charges people not staying on-site for, its just buried in your room rate or through some shared expense/revenue agreement within the different divisions.

Although I hate Walmart, think of their locations, you don't pay for parking to shop there, but its because either their lease agreements with the landlords of the property offer parking as part of their lease, so the cost of the lots being maintained is buried within the rent they charge to Walmart, which ultimately effects the price of products that Walmart charges, the difference between wholesale and retail costs is the profit margin which will be reduced by overhead (which includes rent).

Now there is an arguement that people like alacarte pricing better, I am one, which is why I don't mind the baggage fees for airlines, but there is a balance and perceived value, and this is where Disney's model takes hold. Disney uses their parking rates (and some other perks like DME) to encourage people to stay on property. People perceive these perks as a value and help justify the reason to stay on property despite the fact comparable resorts in terms of class and quality are offered off property at significantly less cost.

As a guest of the Seaport Hotel in Boston, we had the "privilege" of paying a $31/day parking fee - in THEIR parking garage.

How long before Disney figures out they can charge their loyal guests as well?

If they start charging pass holders there will be lots of people sneaking in to the lots through the back roads.

$14 only sounds lousy because we shell out so much for a Disney trip. But compared to the rest of the country, as other posts have stated, $14 is a bargain.

Even here in little 'ol Buffalo, you are going to pay $10-25 to park to go to a hockey game, a game that lasts two and half hours, plus that entertainment costs more than a one day Disney ticket. Same holds true to park on someone's front lawn for a football game. On average that's in the neighborhood of $5 an hour. If you park all day at Disney, it's about a dollar an hour. That's the equivalent of parking at a parking meter all day. In some cities a dollar wouldn't even get you an hour at a meter.

The only ones who pay for parking are those staying off-property. Those individuals are saving a heck of a lot more on their hotel than $14 a day. A $14 parking fee is chump change compared to the mounds of dough saved by staying off-property. And it's another way of Disney saying "Come stay in our resorts and you won't pay for parking and have other immenities too"

We pay at least $12 to park in the lots around downtown Atlanta. And just think, there is no security and if you car gets broken into or you are broke down, tough. At least in WDW you can flag down security for just about anything you need!

whilst $14 doesnt sound too bad, I do think a lot of people staying off site do forget about this cost - especially people from other countries (maybe brits like me for example). Most international visitors will average 14 days per trip in orlando with maybe 10 of those being theme park days. So in total you can be talking around $150 just for theme park parking!

Combined with (free) DDP disney really are starting to put a compelling case together for people staying on site. I think this will sooner or later help improve occupancy levels at the value resorts - which will eventually make it worth them adding to their capacity.

Or they'll make another bad decision and decide to charge on site guests for parking ;)

Combined with (free) DDP disney really are starting to put a compelling case together for people staying on site. I think this will sooner or later help improve occupancy levels at the value resorts - which will eventually make it worth them adding to their capacity.

Or they'll make another bad decision and decide to charge on site guests for parking ;)

You know... a man like you who can see both sides of an issue, should work for Disney.... oh wait, the 2nd half of you already does!

(snicker)

All in good fun,

Knox

whilst $14 doesnt sound too bad, I do think a lot of people staying off site do forget about this cost - especially people from other countries (maybe brits like me for example). Most international visitors will average 14 days per trip in orlando with maybe 10 of those being theme park days. So in total you can be talking around $150 just for theme park parking!

I cringe when I hear the suggestion that Disney needs to improve occupancey levels. There are far too many bodies on property now. Lines are too long for EVERYTHING, including restaurants. The slow {supposed} economy is not having an effect on the number of people on Disney property. Regardless of what numbers Disney puts out there, the parks and resorts are mobbed. Fueled by these "free dining" and "buy 4 nights get 3 free" deals. We live close by, and go there quite often, and believe me, the parks ARE crowded. We did not see any slow downs on property at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter