YIKES!!!! I gained 7 pounds in 12 days! COMPLETE...and going back!!!!

Hey, everyone! Sorry I have been gone for so long long, but I promise I have not forgotten you! You know, life happens!

I have to tell you that in the little bit of free time I have had lately, I have been having so much fun editing our PhotoPass photos for the CD we pre-ordered. That is a time-sensitive project, because you only have 30 days from the time you up-load them to the web site to order the CD (without incurring an additional charge). We are so thrilled with how our photos turned out, and I have been cropping and zooming and changing orientation and adding borders, so I am in the process of turning about 250 photos into more like 600! I can't wait to see the final product!

But you guys are here for the food, so let the reviews resume!

So August 1st is a special day for us, and this particular August 1st was Belle's 16th Birthday! We told her she could choose the activity of the day, and her choice was Typhoon Lagoon! We weren't too obsessed with arriving there at the crack of rope drop, so we meandered over to Captain Cook's at about 7:55. This was a real quickie of a breakfast. I had a blueberry muffin, which was very good, but a little oily. Aladdin had a fruit cup, which had grapes and a few different types of melon as I remember, all very fresh. Belle had an apple danish, which she declared "meh", and Herc had a toasted bagel with cream cheese. It was all filling enough...I think we were all still full from the previous night at Kona, that nothing would have tasted great on this particular morning.

By a latish lunchtime, after a morning packed with thrills and chills at TL, we were really hungry! We decided to give Leaning Palms a try, since it looked like it had the biggest menu at TL (I don't know for sure if it had the biggest menu, but it looked like it did).

I was in the mood for something light (did I mention 5 desserts on the table last night, followed by blueberry muffin breakfast?) so I ordered the Summer Salad. This had fresh lettuce (I think it was romaine), green apples, some kind of nuts, craisins, seasoned chicken (a little rubbery) and maybe another ingredient or two with a nice raspberry viniagrette dressing. It was very big and filling and refreshing and I was very glad I ordered it!

Belle and Aladdin both ordered the chicken nuggets with fries. These were surprisingly delicious! They had bbq sauce with the condiments, so Aladdin enjoyed that with them. They were hot, juicy, and perfectly seasoned, and I am not a big chicken nuggets fan, but these were just wonderful, IMO. They seemed to be made with whole chicken breast, not pressed stuff. The fries were also very good, hot and fresh. If you are a fan of chicken nuggets, this might be the place for you to order them.

Hercules ordered the special of the day, which was a hot Italian Sandwich Basket (it came with french fries). It was "OK" according to Herc. It had salami, ham, cappiacola and provolone (I think) with italian dressing. It had all the stuff he loves on a sandwich, so I'm not sure why it was only OK, but that was his assessment (I didn't taste it). Since I have to guess, I'll say it probably didn't have enough cheese for his liking. It's hard to find anything with enough cheese for Herc's liking!

I don't know why I continue to be surprised with the high quality of Disney's counter service establishments. Maybe I was thinking Leaning Palms wouldn't match the quality of the places in the major theme parks? We have almost always experienced delicious food at a good value, you'd think I would just expect that always, yet somehow they continue to exceed my expectations, and Leaning Palms was no exception, I'm happy to report.

Coming up next...Happy Birthday Dinner at California Grill!

A few pages back, I told you that you had me dying to go to Chefs. Well now we are! :banana: DH just booked lunch there on our last day. I was convinced that he wouldn't want to go but he said that it was actually at the top of his list of considerations. Now I have to go back and look at your pics and reviews again! :laughing:

YAY!!! Have a delicious time!

*mouth watering*

This dinner was perfect from start to finish! Definitely one of the best meals of our lives!

This was the night of the double lightning strike on the monorail, so we, and everyone else with an ADR at CG, arrived lated. We checked in at around 8:15 for our 7:50 ADR. I said we'd like to wait for a window table, bt when we were told it would be about an hour, we decided to just sit down. We were taken up to our table almost immediately, and it was one row away from the windows; we still had a very lovely view of MK and the whole lagoon, including the other MK resorts. We could even see the high fireworks from IllumiNations a little while later.

Our server was Ryan and he was outstanding (didn't have to look him up on the check-I remember)! He offered help and suggestions with the menu and wine pairings, and struck just the right balance between being there to serve and help, and being out of the way when appropriate.

I ordered a refreshing glass of Conundrum and Aladdin ordered a glass of white recommended by Ryan (check says Arrwd Cote). Both were delicious.

We started with some apps to share with the table. First out was the Beef Flatbread:
080101caligrill.jpg

This was very spicy in a peppery way, as Ryan had said it would be. The crispy onions on top really made it for us. We loved it!

We also ordered the Spicy Kazan Roll:
080102caligrill.jpg

Oh, my, this was so good, and that sauce was scrumptious! We all agreed we wanted to lick the plate. I could have happily had this as my meal and been satisfied; too bad we had to share it!

For my main course, I had the BBQ Filet:
080103caligrill.jpg

This dish was wonderful in every way. The steak was cooked a perfect medium-rare as ordered, the sauce had just the right balance of spice, smoke and sweet, the potatoes were creamy and delicious, and the veggie (some kind of broccolini) was seasoned and prepared perfectly. To go with it, I asked Ryan to bring me a bold Cabernet, and he served me a glass of Sequoia Grove Cabernet, delicious, and perfect with the filet. There was NOTHING left on this plate (or in my glass)! It was sooooo good, and my very favorite beef filet I have ever had (the buffalo filet from Artist Point might be tied for best steak ever). As great as it was, it wasn't even the best dish on the table!

Which brings us to Aladdin's pork dish:
080105caligrill.jpg

WOW! This was possibly the very best thing I have ever tasted! Nirvana on a plate! This was by far the best pork dish ever, the meat was so sweet and juicy and tender, the seasonings perfect, the polenta was cheesy and creamy with just the right texture! I can't wait to go back to Cali Grill and order this dish for myself!

Belle surprised us by ordering the pasta dish:
080104caligrill.jpg

This was a nice al dente cavatelli with a variety of tomatoes and fresh shaved parmesan cheese. She loved it.

The biggest surprise of the night was Herc's choice, the salmon:
080106caligrill.jpg

He likes salmon just fine, but what really pursuaded him to order it this night was the preparation: with roasted fig risotto and black forest mushrooms in a pinot noir reduction. He was absolutely blown away by this dish. It was his nirvana on a plate. He is still talking about it, says it was the best thing he's ever tasted...and it didn't even contain cheese! He tried unsuccessfully to fall in love with other salmon dishes during the rest of the trip, and everything else fell way short. He can't wait to return to CG to order this again (if it's not on the menu, he knows exactly how to ask for it!

After our main course, it was time to step outside to watch the Summer Nightastic fireworks. What a spectacular view! We really appreciated all of the special effects on the castle from this perspective, and unanimously agreed that this view was even better than the view we had from the Poly beach. I still think I would like Wishes better from the Poly beach, because with Wishes, it is important to me to have that centered perspective. But with Summer Nightastic, I think it was more important to be closer to the castle.

When we came back in, we had some tough decisions to make about dessert. We knew we had a surprise mini wedding cake coming for Belle's birthday, but we wanted to taste a few items from the menu. Hercules was pushing hard for a cheese plate, since his main course had not contained a cheese fix for him. So we decided we'd have a cheese course, and then order one dessert (plus the cake) for our dessert course.

Cheese plate:
080107caligrill.jpg

From top to bottom in the photo, the cheeses were:
Reypenaer V.S.O.P. (Netherlands) - a type of gouda
Robiola (northern Italy) - blend of cow, goat and sheep milk, we loved this paired with sweet spanish almonds
Truffle Tremor (Cypress Grove) - goat cheese with black truffle
Petite Agour (France) - sheep's milk cheese with nutty flavor
Caveman Blue - organic raw cow's milk. We all love bleu cheese, this was one of our favorites of the 5

And finally, dessert!

We had the birthday cake that we had ordered for Belle:
080108caligrill-1.jpg

This was so beautiful and tasted great! We were extremely happy with it, and would not hesitiate to recommend Chef Brian and Private Dining at the CR for anyone looking for a special occasion cake! Belle was absolutely thrilled!

We also needed a taste of chocolate, so we decided to go for the Valrhona Chocolate Cake:
080109caligrill.jpg

I'm pretty sure this was a homemade cherry ice cream. This cake was just delicious, and by far the best dessert of the trip!

Our overall experience here was outstanding, and it is probably our favorite restaurant dinner ever, definitely the best of this trip. (I said "restaurant dinner" specifically, because there are intangeables that go into a "dining experience" to make it super-special, and we had a few of those moments during this trip). I want to add that we did not experience a sense of loudness or chaos that we have read about in many other reviews. I don't know if the restaurant was less busy than usual on this night because of the monorail system problem, but we found it quite intimate, and would it have been easily romantic if it weren't a family celebration for us. This is as close to a must-do for us as we could find!

thanks for great updates and I have been enjoying your food review.
In a side note, I love Photopass too...I try to add as many borders as I can get and decide later which one I want to develop (I figure I paid for the CD so I add ever single border option and one time I ended up with 2 CD mailed to me b/c I had over 1000 pictures, I had 550 originally and then added the borders).

I cant wait for our Calli Grill ADR next Tue! We are going just to order flatbread to share and each get our own Spicy Kazan Roll and share dessert over some wine!

What a fantastic review!!!

First...that Spicy Kazan roll...oh my goodness. I can almost taste it now!

Was the flatbread the one with peach compote and cheddar? I'm intrigued by that combination for sure.

I am completely enamored with all of the entree photos. I am being seriously tempted by that pork entree, I have heard such great things - but it'll take a lot to get me to deviate from my normal sushi entree. Still, if it's the best thing you've ever tasted...I don't know, a change of plans may be in the cards. Everything looks so darn good!!!

I agree with liking the centered perspective which watching Wishes from the Poly gives you.

Cali Grill is my favorite WDW restaurant and possibly my favorite restaurant, period. We have always had such a great time there, and I absolutely can't wait to get back there in...12 days! Especially since reading this latest review! :)

thanks for great updates and I have been enjoying your food review.
In a side note, I love Photopass too...I try to add as many borders as I can get and decide later which one I want to develop (I figure I paid for the CD so I add ever single border option and one time I ended up with 2 CD mailed to me b/c I had over 1000 pictures, I had 550 originally and then added the borders).

You're welcome and thank you for reading!

PhotoPass...I can't believe we just discovered it this trip! My only regrets about it are that we didn't use it on previous trips...and I wish we had stopped for MORE photos this trip! The pics are so great and I am loving mixing and matching the borders. I am doing the same thing with multiple borders per photo, I'm also doing some cropping and zooming and stuff, too. It's GREAT!

I cant wait for our Calli Grill ADR next Tue! We are going just to order flatbread to share and each get our own Spicy Kazan Roll and share dessert over some wine!

I am sooo jealous that you have your trip ahead of you...and that you're going to CG! Have a wonderfully delicious time. I will think of you next Tuesday, for sure! Make sure you share about it when you return!

First...that Spicy Kazan roll...oh my goodness. I can almost taste it now!

Was the flatbread the one with peach compote and cheddar? I'm intrigued by that combination for sure.

I am completely enamored with all of the entree photos. I am being seriously tempted by that pork entree, I have heard such great things - but it'll take a lot to get me to deviate from my normal sushi entree. Still, if it's the best thing you've ever tasted...I don't know, a change of plans may be in the cards. Everything looks so darn good!!!

I agree with liking the centered perspective which watching Wishes from the Poly gives you.

Cali Grill is my favorite WDW restaurant and possibly my favorite restaurant, period. We have always had such a great time there, and I absolutely can't wait to get back there in...12 days! Especially since reading this latest review! :)

Thanks for the compliment on my reviews and thanks for reading! I'm envious of you, too, and will think of you in 12 days! That brings us to, what, Sept. 19th?

The flatbread was delicious. I didn't copy the menu with the ingredients, and I can't personally remember everything it had. I've done a menu search but can't find anything even resembling what this was. There was definitely cheddar cheese on it, and I asked Belle if she remembered peach compote, and she said yes, though I honestly don't remember any peach compote. It had steak (I think they called it flat iron steak), fried onions, cheddar cheese, I think maybe some carmelized onions? maybe some peach compote (per you and Belle)? and a very peppery taste (as in black pepper).

With regards to your sushi vs. pork dilemma...is there any way you could maybe share some sushi as an appetizer, AND get the pork as your entree (best of both worlds)? I love pork as a rule, but I don't usually order it when I go out for some reason. Well, I regretted that two nights in a row this trip, at Kona Cafe, where I thought the pomegranate pork chop was definitely the best entree on the table, and at CG, where the pork tenderloin was the best thing I have ever tasted! Seriously, if you even like pork, you should at some point try this tenderloin. It sounds like you will get back to CG at some point, so why not try it at least once? Maybe if you feel reluctant, you could talk someone in your party into ordering it so you can have a taste (tell them it's the specialty of the house). Then you'll know for the future if it's worth ordering for you.

Full report when you return, please!

Lovely CG review. I really can't wait to eat there. Only problem is that we're eating there on our last night there so it's sort of bittersweet. I'm looking forward to it, and I'm not if you know what I mean. I'm not ready for the trip to be over yet since it hasn't begun...lol. I plan on ordering the Spicy Kazan roll and Shrimp Tempura Roll as my entree :). What's Conundrum, btw?

Lovely CG review. I really can't wait to eat there. Only problem is that we're eating there on our last night there so it's sort of bittersweet. I'm looking forward to it, and I'm not if you know what I mean. I'm not ready for the trip to be over yet since it hasn't begun...lol. I plan on ordering the Spicy Kazan roll and Shrimp Tempura Roll as my entree :). What's Conundrum, btw?

Glad you enjoyed my CG review!

You described the conundrum perfectly! "I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad because I'm dining at my favorite restaurant, BUT, it's my last night in WDW! Yahoo...no...boo hoo!" LOL (I totally know what you mean. We never enjoy our last meal as much as we should because, well, it's our last meal).

The Conundrum I enjoyed at Cali Grill is a white wine that is comprised of "a proprietary blend of California white grapes" with hints of pear and tropical flavors. It's similar to a Chardonnay, but not as oaky; as full but a little more fruity. It's very yummy! I want a glass right now!

Now that I am studying my photo closely, and Belle insists that it DID in fact contain peach compote, I'm thinking that maybe what I thought was carmelized onions was actually peach compote? Either way...something sweet to balance the peppery steak and salty cheese. Very yummy!

Your Cali Grill review -- :drool:

We're having dinner there on our second night, and I'm afraid the rest of our dinner ADRs are not going to be as good. I may have to go with the salmon - I just love fish and adore figs and mushrooms, so that seems like a no-brainer!

If you don't mind me asking. . . how much was that cake? That's just perfect for a sweet 16th and that's why we are going at Thanksgiving for MY daughter's sweet 16.:cool1:

Your Cali Grill review -- :drool:

We're having dinner there on our second night, and I'm afraid the rest of our dinner ADRs are not going to be as good. I may have to go with the salmon - I just love fish and adore figs and mushrooms, so that seems like a no-brainer!

I know what you mean about being afraid that the rest of your dinners won't be as good...if it helps, our CG dinner was pretty early in our trip, and we somehow managed to enjoy all the rest of our meals, too! :goodvibes

You should definitely try that salmon, if it's still offered. I get the idea the fish entrees are the ones that change most frequently.

If you don't mind me asking. . . how much was that cake? That's just perfect for a sweet 16th and that's why we are going at Thanksgiving for MY daughter's sweet 16.:cool1:

The cake was $30, and we paid for it in advance on our credit card. I started by calling the cake hotline, who gave me the # of CR Private Dining, who told me to e-mail Chef Brian, who confirmed he could do what I wanted and told me to call Private Dining back to actually place the order. It took several days of phone and e-mail tag, but we were thrilled with the result, so it was well worth it. I asked for a "2-tiered mini wedding cake with pastel green icing, decorated with edible flowers and butterflies in shades of blue and purple." I didn't specify any particular kind of cake or icing, because I knew that the wedding cakes are vanilla cake with buttercream icing. It tasted very good, but the biggest WOW factor was how pretty it was. The pic doesn't do justice. This cake was very small. Everyone I spoke with kept telling me that this was a dessert that would only serve one. I can tell you that it would be a huge serving for one, but wouldn't really serve as a satisfying dessert for four. We were all able to take a few bites (Belle even had more than a few bites). Since we are only a party of 4, I really didn't want anything big, but I did want something a little special to mark the occasion. The next size up that could be customized was way too big for us. We thought this was perfect for us!

If you decide to order one, just start a few weeks before you leave home, to build in the time for the phone tag and e-mail tag.

Belle says this was the best birthday party of her life. I wish you an equally wonderful celebration!

Sounds like an amazing time!
Fantastic food reporting~many thanks for that and Happy 16th to Belle!:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter