YIKES!!!! I gained 7 pounds in 12 days! COMPLETE...and going back!!!!

At Kona in June, we had Ratana. He was training a female server that night, and let me tell you, he's probably the best server I've had at Disney. I can tell you probably had a great night as well.

I'm late to the party, but that Kona review made me REALLY hungry... too bad lunch isn't for another two hours. I've never been to Kona but now it's DEFINITELY on my to-do list when I go back to Disney next year. :D

$24.00 a bottle at a local wine shop.

Oh, so THAT'S how it magically appeared in the fridge!

My local Costco carries it as well for about $22 or so. I love it!

Jill in CO

Our local Costco doesn't carry wine :(.

Sounds like an amazing time!
Fantastic food reporting~many thanks for that and Happy 16th to Belle!:wizard:

Thank you for the compliment and the birthday wishes!

At Kona in June, we had Ratana. He was training a female server that night, and let me tell you, he's probably the best server I've had at Disney. I can tell you probably had a great night as well.

Yes, he was awesome!

I'm late to the party, but that Kona review made me REALLY hungry... too bad lunch isn't for another two hours. I've never been to Kona but now it's DEFINITELY on my to-do list when I go back to Disney next year. :D

Better late than never...and yes, you gotta try Kona!

Sorry it's been too long since my last update. I haven't forgotten you guys!

Next day was another Epcot day, and since our prime focus was the World Showcase, we decided to sleep in a little and get a late start, with the goal being to grab some FPs for Soarin' on the way to RD at WS. This worked out pretty well, except for our little unexpected viewing of Captain Eo, with Belle and I really enjoying it...Aladdin and Herc, not as much!

We were at Captain Cook's for our grab 'n go breakfast by 9:35. I got a fruit cup, Aladdin had a yogurt parfait, Belle tried the cinnamon bun (she didn't really care for it, thought it was a little too dry), and Hercules got a croissant (he declared it "fine"). CC's was very crowded at this time, the most crowded we had seen it. I guess most people get what we would call a "late start." ;)

For lunch, we wanted to hit a few favorites at WS, so we stopped first at Tangierine Cafe, where we ordered one lamb and one chicken/lamb combo shwarma platters. These are just wonderful! Hot, fresh, full of flavor, and never disappointing...plus tons of food!

Here's a pic of the combo (the other one came out really blurry):
080202moroc.jpg

Delicious! Each platter had hummus, tabuleh salad and cous cous in addition to the meats with tzatziki (spelling?) and roll. To tell you the truth, this was enough food for a nice lunch for the 4 of us, but we wanted a taste of one more favorite, which brough us to...
Yorkshire County Fish Shoppe for a few fish 'n chips platters. These were so hot and fresh we couldn't eat them right away. (Sorry, no pic). If you enjoy fisn and chips, you gotta stop here!

Just because we were so hot that afternoon, we had to have some Kaki Gori! They had 3 different flavors, so of course we had to get one of each. Honeydew Melon, Strawberry, Tangerine, I couldn't pick a favorite!

Up next...dinner at Coral Reef!

We were really on the fence about whether or not to try this restaurant, based upon the mexed reviews. In the end, we decided to go for it, and we are very glad that we did.

First of all, the setting is absolutely beautiful! So peaceful in there, and we were happy to be seated in a table right against the tank. We got some OK photos and a nice video, and we were thoroughly entertained through the meal.

Our server was Alejandro, who noticed our anniversary buttons and asked if we would enjoy a few complimentary glasses of champagne for our celebration. Of course we would! This was the first and only restaurant that offered such a surprise for our anniversary. We were very impressed, and the glasses were presented beautifully, with one big, fat ripe strawberry on the rim of each (sorry, I forgot to take a pic).

For appetizers, Aladdin and I decided to share the sampler platter for 2:
080204coral.jpg

We thought this was very good. This included grilled shrimp, grilled steak with bbq sauce on top of some kind of cheesy polenta (polenta being the best item on the platter), a few mini crab cakes with mango salsa, and individual servings of lobster bisque. It was all good, nothing WOW (except the polenta).

Hercules chose the lobster bisque:
080205coral.jpg

This was good, but there was something just a little odd about it that we couldn't quite indentify. Herc thought it tasted a little "burned," but I think maybe it was the alcohol taste? I liked it more than the bisque at Les Chefs, but Herc liked it less. Just goes to show how subjective food preferences could be! One thing can't be argued, there was lots of lobster meat in this!

Belle ordered the winning appetizer, the beat and goat cheese salad:
080203coral.jpg

This was absolutely delicious, tangy dressing, tart cheese, sweet beets, and all very fresh!

For my entree, I chose the Mahi Mahi based on recommendation here on The DIS:
080206coral.jpg

It did NOT disappoint! I was really impressed with this dish, and would order it again in a heartbeat! It wasn't a huge serving, so if I hadn't kind of pigged out at lunch and had an appetizer, I might not have been satisfied by the portion. But as I HAD, it was just the right size for me on this night.

For Aladdin, I chose the New York Strip Steak:
080209coral.jpg

This was very good, a nice size, tender and cooked to the perfect medium-rare. Aladdin really enjoyed this, and I only got one bite!

Belle ordered the Halibut, which might have been a special of the day?
080208coral.jpg

It was prepared over some kind of pasta (looked like giant pastina) with a few mussels in a tomato sauce flavored with chorizo. She loved it! I thought it was very good, but I liked my Mahi Mahi better.

Hercules decided to go with the vegetable lasagna. He loves mushrooms and loves lasagna, and I tried to dissuade him from ordering this (based on what I had read here), but he wanted it anyway.
080207coral.jpg

This was not good. He was very disappointed. The top was crispy and could hardly be eaten (as I had warned him), and the sauce tasted like it was from a jar. The description of this sounds wonderful on the menu, but please do not be fooled!

Poor Herc had had a pretty bad meal at Coral Reef so far (but he LOVED the setting, and recognized he could have chosen better), so he HAD to drown his sorrows in...the Choclate Wave! YAY! The dinner was saved! He really enjoyed this (but not as much as CG's chocolate cake)! (Sorry, I forgot to take pics of dessert, where was my head?) Belle's dessert was even BETTER and a huge surprise to me...Almond Gelato!!! WONDERFUL! So delicious and refreshing! After we tasted hers, Aladdin and I were so tempted to order another to share, but we were pretty stuffed, so we decided to pass.

If you dine at CR, don't order the lasagna! DO order the ALMOND GELATO!!

This was our only DHS day, and it was yellow according to TGM, so our plan was to get all our "must-do's" in bright and early, get out for a long break, then return after dinner for Fantasmic!

We paid for breakfast at CCs by 7:26am. The kids tried the breakfast platter. I know it had eggs and sausage, maybe bacon, potatoes, and maybe even something else? Like a waffle or pancake? Sorry I don't remember and don't have pictures, but I can tell you that they both enjoyed every bite, except for the potatoes. Both thought the potatoes were just bad. I had a bagel with cream cheese, Aladdin had a fruit cup. All good.

I was hoping to be out of DHS before lunchtime so we could enjoy lunch at either CCs or walk over to GF to try Gasparilla's, but this didn't work out, as DHS was SOOOO packed that we didn't get through what we really wanted to do before our tummies started rumbling. So we had no choice but to grab some lunch, and we decided on Studio Catering Company, since we were right there, and all intrigued by the Buffalo Chicken sandwich with fries. We enjoyed this! The chicken was very hot, crispy and fresh, the sauce was spicy enough (though we would have liked more of it), and the bread was very good. The fries were cooked just right, pretty well-done, the way we like them. Herc ordered a Turkey Club to try something different, and his was very good as well, I traded some of mine for some of his. Overall, we enjoyed our lunch at Studio Catering Co. more than we expected we would, and would not hesitate to eat here again if we needed a quick meal in DHS. I think next trip we will try the Fantasmic! Package for our meal here. We've never tried MM and it's been years since we've been to HBD. Food for thought...

Next up...Dinner at 'Ohana! (Oink, oink)

Your title just cracked me up! I knew I had to join in the fun... albeit a tad bit late. I'm looking forward to procrastinating a bit longer this morning and delve into your food review :) popcorn::

We're heading there in December... I just started Weight Watchers... probably not a good combination!! :scared1:

Thanks in advance for writing your experiences for us to share!

We're heading there in December... I just started Weight Watchers... probably not a good combination!!

I lost 10 pounds going into this trip...and came back 5 pounds over that weight. So, kudos to you!

Also, I see your ticker has you going to the Wilderness Lodge. Congrats! We went there in 2008 and loved it!!!!! P.S. -- In the evening, take a walk around the end of the resort towards the Villas. The Villa hot tubs were warmer and much less crowded than the Lodge hot tubs.

Sorry your son didn't like it, but the quiche from Chefs de France looks amazing to me! We are eating there in January, and I am so excited after looking at your pics. :yay:

Your title just cracked me up! I knew I had to join in the fun... albeit a tad bit late. I'm looking forward to procrastinating a bit longer this morning and delve into your food review :) popcorn::

We're heading there in December... I just started Weight Watchers... probably not a good combination!! :scared1:

Thanks in advance for writing your experiences for us to share!

I'm so glad you're here...it's never too late! I had been doing WW since January without too much luck (had lost about 13...it was a lot of work for only 13 pounds). I knew I wasn't following any diet while in WDW, but did not expect to gain THAT much, especially with all the walking. The good news is I lost all of the Disney weight in about 3 weeks. The bad news is now I'm back on that plateau!

And you're welcome! I love sharing my experiences, it helps me to relive them!

I lost 10 pounds going into this trip...and came back 5 pounds over that weight. So, kudos to you!

Also, I see your ticker has you going to the Wilderness Lodge. Congrats! We went there in 2008 and loved it!!!!! P.S. -- In the evening, take a walk around the end of the resort towards the Villas. The Villa hot tubs were warmer and much less crowded than the Lodge hot tubs.

You look perfect to me, MSF. Wish we were in that WLV hot tub right now.

I must be your long lost sister. I did about the same with the exceptoion of not weighing myself the first few days!! :eek:

Yeah, wish I hadn't stepped on that scale the first morning back. But I have to weigh in every day...it keeps me honest!

I have really enjoyed your reviews. Can't wait to read about 'Ohana.:surfweb:

Thanks for the compliment, and 'Ohana is coming right up. Oh, 'Ohana, how I love Thee!

Sorry your son didn't like it, but the quiche from Chefs de France looks amazing to me! We are eating there in January, and I am so excited after looking at your pics. :yay:

That quiche was delicious! It has a little bit of a nutmeg or cinnamon something about it, which Herc doesn't like. He is VERY particular about his spices and herbs. No problem...more for me! And he was quite happy with half of my Croque Monsieur. Enjoy in January!

Thanks for reading, everybody!:goodvibes

Here comes 'Ohana!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR POLY! HAPPY 39TH BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!!! (Sing to happy birthday song).

I had seen lots of not-so-great reviews of 'Ohana lately, but we have had dinner there several times before and it was always one of our favorites, plus we were staying at the Poly...so it was still on our must-do list. Boy, are we happy we stuck with it. This dinner was absolutely scrum-diddly-umptious!

Our ADR was for around 5, so we showed up right on time and wow, the line was long, and the Tambu lounge and all the chairs and tables outside it were occupied. The line moved fast, though, and within minutes we were led to a lovely window table in the quiet side room. Our view was of the back entrance to the GCH and the little stream that meanders toward the volcano pool. We could still hear the entertainment in the background when it was going on, but could also easily have a quiet conversation with each other.

Our server was Arturo, and he was very attentive. There was a longer-than-usual lull between our main course and dessert, and if we had been in a rush, this might have bothered us. We weren't in a rush, and we actually appreciated having a little time to relax before the delicious dessert was served.

In keeping with tradition (you know, you HAVE to stick with tradition), I started with a Lapu Lapu:
080305ohana.jpg

Woooo-ie! Yummy and beautiful and very strong! They don't taste like this when MainStreetFireman makes them for me at home (even though they taste very good, they are just not the same when they don't come from the Poly!).

First the salad and bread:
080301ohana.jpg

IMO, this salad is so refreshing and delicious, it is one of my favorite salads in the world. The lettuce is very crunchy and the dressing is sweet and tangy and light. The bread is also very good, but I try NOT to eat too much bread here to save room for everything else. If you want butter, you just have to ask for it. We don't find a need for butter, we eat the bread dry with the salad or use it as a vehicle for the yummy sauces.

Speaking of the sauces:
080303ohana.jpg

From the top going clockwise, these are sweet-and-sour, spicy ginger, and peanut. Hercules loves the sweet-and-sour, Belle loves the peanut, and I love the ginger best with the peanut a very close second. Aladdin likes them all, but enjoys all of the food better without any sauce.

The appetizers:
080302ohana.jpg

Pork potstickers and sweet/spicy chicken wings. You KNOW how good these are!

Vegetables and noodles:
080304ohana.jpg

We thought the veggies were cooked and seasoned to perfection, and the noodles were among the best we've ever tasted. (We still miss the Maui potatoes, though, since we all have a cheese thing).

Meats:
080307ohana-1.jpg

I'm very sorry I don't have photos of all the meats. There were shrimp, steak, pork and chicken, all of which were absolutely wonderful. They were tender, juicy, flavorful and prepared just right. I did take this pic of the steak, which I hope shows that it is juicy and cooked to a perfect medium-rare. I thought the chicken was a huge improvement over the turkey, of which I am personally not a fan.

Dessert:
080308ohana.jpg

If this had been any other restaurant, we definitely would have skipped dessert, we were so stuffed from all of the afore-mentioned yummy-ness. But this was 'Ohana, and dessert is not-to-be-missed! Delectable! Heavenly!

We also received another birthday cupcake for Belle,
080309ohana.jpg

...as well as extra vanilla ice cream with Mickey sprinkles, that we certainly didn't need, but I believe Hercules made a nice dent in that, too!
080310ohana.jpg

The female entertainer with the ukelele (I think her name is Lelani?) made her way through the room a few times during our dinner, once with a parade of happy, dancing children and even some parents. We think she is charming and adorable, and this time her microphone wasn't too loud (don't know if that's because of the side room table).

'Ohana certainly met, if not exceeded, our high expectations, and it remains very high on our list of favorite all-time restaurants (not just WDW restaurants). I hope you give it a try for yourselves!

Next up....an EXCEPTIONALLY MAGICAL DAY OF DINING!

In keeping with tradition (you know, you HAVE to stick with tradition), I started with a Lapu Lapu:
080305ohana.jpg

Woooo-ie! Yummy and beautiful and very strong! They don't taste like this when MainStreetFireman makes them for me at home (even though they taste very good, they are just not the same when they don't come from the Poly!).

...and I love how we (the whole family!) wear our beads to dinner. We also wear them on our travel day down, from the moment the taxi picks us up for the airport. I really enjoy when people ask "Going to Hawaii?" and we smile and say "Nope. Disneyworld!"

Fabulous post. Please tell me ... which is the quickest restaurant to get in and out of? Kona or Ohana for dinner? I'm trying to plan which one to do before heading to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party when it rolls around in 2011. We don't want to rush, but I have heard that Ohana takes longer from start to finish. And, we want to make the most out of our party tickets. Thanks.

Yummmmm....:)

YES! Thanks for reading!

Can't wait for more!

Sorry about the delay! I'm hoping to get some more in quickly! Hope you're still with me.

Fabulous post. Please tell me ... which is the quickest restaurant to get in and out of? Kona or Ohana for dinner? I'm trying to plan which one to do before heading to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party when it rolls around in 2011. We don't want to rush, but I have heard that Ohana takes longer from start to finish. And, we want to make the most out of our party tickets. Thanks.

Thank you for the compliment! It's hard to say which is quicker, because we really enjoy lingering over a slow-paced meal, never really watch the clock or ask the server to hurry with anything. In fact, we often state explicitly that we wish to take our time. I would think you could get in and out of Kona faster, if you tell your server you are in a rush and only order 1 course; 'Ohana is automatically 3 courses. On the other hand, at 'Ohana, the food is already prepared, not made-to-order, so in theory, the server just has to bring the stuff...I don't know if I'm being very helpful to you. Is there a way to dine at one of these places on a different night, and eat inside MK on a MNSSHP night? Or maybe do Kona for lunch that day and CS during the party. Just a thought...

More updates coming!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter