Yikes! The $ rate is in freefall

And the basis of this currency forecast ?

Forecast? I didn't say it was a forecast. I clearly stated that's what I think...after reading the Wall Street Journal, The Economist, and the New York and London Times Business sections, pretty much religiously, for the past month. Google the pound forecast.

Whilst I can understand why people are annoyed, I do think $2 to the £1 or close to was never going to be sustainable forever and it was only a matter of time before the rate dropped. We're fairly sure we'll go ahead with next year's east coast trip (not booking anything until much nearer the time though) just have to save a bit harder and probably do less shopping over there ;)

when i first went to florida,it was in 1992.the rate then was around $1.20
We went not because of the "great $v£ rate".we went because it was a once in a lifetime trip and wanted to go
Now after trips every year and more the $ rate usaly is last on the list for going,even then we would go_OK the rate is nice when its good but we have been when its bad and its still great value
For most on here its the love of disney why we go not the £v$ rate
Paulh

when i first went to florida,it was in 1992.the rate then was around $1.20
We went not because of the "great $v£ rate".we went because it was a once in a lifetime trip and wanted to go
Now after trips every year and more the $ rate usaly is last on the list for going,even then we would go_OK the rate is nice when its good but we have been when its bad and its still great value
For most on here its the love of disney why we go not the £v$ rate

The first time we went was 92 and I think we got $1.32, like you say it was that once in a life time holiday!!! and it was our first trip to the US so we knew nothing about the dollar. We bought our dollars 2 weeks ago at $1.72 and even thought we were having a winge at the rate we are thankful it was more than back then.

If the MPC cut interest rates again (which many commentators say is likely) then you'll see the pound fall even further against the dollar. Personally, I'd buy now if I was leaving in the next couple months. Obviously it's no exact science; it's all down to risk.

Todays 'slight bounce back' maybe a glimmer of hope.

USD.png

:rotfl: Typical ! I bought £500 worth yesterday at $1.55 through fairfx.Lucky I still have £500 to change :woohoo:

Got some of mine changed at $2 to £1 and I am just monitoring it over the next few weeks and when I get spare cash (doesn't seem to happen at the moment:scared1: ) I'll put it on the card at the rate for the day.

At the end of the day I'm booked to go in February anyway so I'll just have to accept what the exchange rate is at that point, if its high great if not, well thats life :)

I hope everybody going in the next few weeks has a great holiday

1.58 with fairfx today a little bounce back!

1.47 on travelex yesterday! thats now at 1.51

Hopefully it will get better, although I'm not going again until 2010 if it gets back up anything near $2 although unlikely before then ill be getting it straight away on my card. I did that before we went this year and it paid off. I don't think it will get to $2 to the £1 again though but hopefully it could get to $1.8 or something.

Ive just got 1.53 for £400=$615. which yeah isnt tooo good, but at least its slowly coming bk up x

Thats a bit better :cool1:

Sure is :cool2:

Just to put it into perspective, I was just looking at the stuff I have to pay for in $s for our next trip. $972 for tickets, hotel etc, which would have cost me £648 at 1.50. At 1.60 that is now down to £607.50!! :woohoo:

Not sure whether to wait now...

Sure is :cool2:

Just to put it into perspective, I was just looking at the stuff I have to pay for in $s for our next trip. $972 for tickets, hotel etc, which would have cost me £648 at 1.50. At 1.60 that is now down to £607.50!! :woohoo:

Not sure whether to wait now...
We're in the same boat for our trip at the weekend Paul.

We've got two hotel rooms and our annual passes to pay for - around $1,400. So hopefully by Monday, when we buy our AP's, the rate will have gone back up a little more.

We're in the same boat for our trip at the weekend Paul.

We've got two hotel rooms and our annual passes to pay for - around $1,400. So hopefully by Monday, when we buy our AP's, the rate will have gone back up a little more.

Nice one, you're already looking at a decent saving compared to a couple of days ago :thumbsup2

I'm wondering what has happened to cause it. If we knew, it might give us a better indication of whether to hold off, or jump on it. My guess, given the speed it has increased, is that there might be at least a few more cents in it before it cools. The next thing to help the $ will be the elections, where it might get a shot in the arm and the rate will come back down. That's not until Tuesday tho, so you might be better to hold off and see if you can save a bit more ;)

I'm gonna wait til the weekend and then get some of my dollar holibills paid. It's a gamble right now, as I said on another thread.

Nice one, you're already looking at a decent saving compared to a couple of days ago :thumbsup2

I'm wondering what has happened to cause it. If we knew, it might give us a better indication of whether to hold off, or jump on it. My guess, given the speed it has increased, is that there might be at least a few more cents in it before it cools. The next thing to help the $ will be the elections, where it might get a shot in the arm and the rate will come back down. That's not until Tuesday tho, so you might be better to hold off and see if you can save a bit more ;)

I'm gonna wait til the weekend and then get some of my dollar holibills paid. It's a gamble right now, as I said on another thread.

1/2% drop in there intrest rates.down to 1% now.they might end up like japan with nothinh to contol inflation you can not get further down that 0% intrest and if stagflation hapens no tools to fight it.to stimulate ecomony they reduce the rate but IMHO going too far,looks like who gets in next week obhama or macain(i always think of chips)will have a major headace next year when they get sworn in.would expect £ to drop next week due to the fell good factor of there election but will slide after the gloom sets in again of the debt GWB has loaded them with
Paulh

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter