Yippee!! Our own sub-forum

We didn't meet up there! Lol

Flying: Yes, flew Delta from Sydney to LAX, cleared customs and immigration and then went on to ATL, then MCO. I was a bit annoyed at first that they changed our flight from SYD - LAX - MCO direct, BUT it worked out well because we had the nice big plane from SYD all the way to ATL, and the small airbus without personal screens for only 1 hour for that last ATL - MCO leg. Appreciated.

Left Sydney at 9.30am and got into Orlando at about 7.30pm and this is MUCH better than the only other option - where you leave Sydney in the evening and arrive in MCO at the crack of dawn. I was worried I thought I'd "wasted" a nights accomodation, having to pay to sleep there without the benefit of a day in the parks but it was great. You arrive, get to the hotel, and get to have a bite, hit the showers and hit the sheets for a full nights sleep before you get up bright and refreshed and hit the park. Arriving at 6.30am would have been BAD after flying 24 hours.

Weather: hard to say as we had record high temps for October, and in the whole 10 days - NO RAIN, which is unusual for Orlando. This is a hard one to comment on. Suffice to say it was hot and humid and I was sincerely glad of the excellent air conditioning at The Pop, and the 24 hour access to the swimming pools, so after a long day in the parks you could come back and swim.

Disney: Travelled with my youngest son, 6. Had a great time. Didn't leave the property, he was a bit young to apprecaite Universal and so we could pace ourselves. Having said that though my son will ride anything, so we rode EVERTYTHING. The crowds were low low low.

Food: We had free dining which meant 1 table service meal, 1 counter service meal and one snack per day, and quite truthfully, the serves were so huge we rarely needed to eat anything else. Table service meals were at: Le Cellier, Planet Hollywood, Sci Fi Dine In Theatre, The Plaza Restaurant, Crystal Palace, Tusker House, Cape May Cafe, Captains Grille, Coral Reef, Raglan Road. All were great. I don't go to Disney for the food, so if it's good, it's good. But I never had a bad meal, even at counter service.

Any specific questions?

Thank you! I don't mind who the info comes from!

That is nice that you got to go together. It is always more fun when you have someone you can share your excitement with. Its never quite the same telling the stories to families and friends when you come home. Did you already know each other before you went?

Oh no haha, we didnt actually go together but we went at around the same time, that is all I was saying :thumbsup2

LOL...sorry shouldn't have made assumptions! I take it that you knew each other from the Boards then. It's nice either way! Not too many people around me appreciate or understand my Disney infatuation.

Oz-kateer thanks for the detailed info. We were leaning towards the flights that arrived in the evening. Was there a particular reason you chose Delta?

Its great to hear about everyones plans for next year.

We are also going in September/October 2010 to Disneyworld with a stop over in Las
Vegas on the way.

We are planning on ten nights at Disneyworld, then moving over to Universal Resort for another seven nights.

I am still deciding on hotels and I will be glued to the computer from early next year looking for some great airline fares.

I've been a bit disappointed in Qantas on my last couple of trips and think we will be going over on V Australia. I have heard some really good reports about them!:)

I've got heaps of questions! Although not going until you've been a second time...

It appears that from Sydney, flights either get there early in the morning or in the evening after 6pm. Which did you do? Did you spend all 2 weeks at WDW or did you other Orlando attractions as well? And of course, what was your favourite place to eat?
We have always flown United.
The flight leaves Sydney at about 3-4pm.
We get to LAX or SFO (preferably SFO) at about 6-7am and then get to MCO at 10-12pm. This is late...but you still get a good sleep. We usually have a chill day the next day shopping and getting groceries etc.

We will be spending all our time at Disney this time...but if you haven't been to SeaWorld then that is really wonderful. Especially with younger children.
Universal is good o do at some point but they are largely thrill rides at IOA and I can't remember how many younger kid rides there are at the Studios.
Unless it is exceptionally busy we can finish Universal in a day.

LOL...sorry shouldn't have made assumptions! I take it that you knew each other from the Boards then. It's nice either way! Not too many people around me appreciate or understand my Disney infatuation.

Oz-kateer thanks for the detailed info. We were leaning towards the flights that arrived in the evening. Was there a particular reason you chose Delta?

I chose Delta because it was cheap cheap cheap at the time, only $1100 return. The GFC was good for something, and that was my WDW trip. In typical US airline style we had our fair share of delays, I think that even Qantas would probably be a bit better, but the price was right at that time for Delta.

Yep - Delta had one of the cheapest rates going AND they had a good series of connections. It was win/win.

Plus, we got to fly one airline all the way, there was no "milk running" where you build a cheapie airfare using different airlines, so if there are any delays the airline knows exactly where you are and what's happened, and they automatically put you on the next available flight. But we had no delays!

Some of the cheaper airlines have poor connection schedules, that's if they actually have true connections at all. It's just a series of separate flights and if you miss a flight all sorts of dramas ensue. Have been there done that and sometimes saving a buck isn't worth it.

I liked Delta, had no complaints. They had a VERY generous baggage allowance, the planes were comfortable, they were totally on time, the staff were nice, the food was fine, they served huge drinks instead of those dinky little ones a lot of airlines serve and their Delta on Demand entertainment is great. Kept my 6 year old totally quiet and engrossed all the way.

Yep - Delta had one of the cheapest rates going AND they had a good series of connections. It was win/win.

Plus, we got to fly one airline all the way, there was no "milk running" where you build a cheapie airfare using different airlines, so if there are any delays the airline knows exactly where you are and what's happened, and they automatically put you on the next available flight. But we had no delays!

Some of the cheaper airlines have poor connection schedules, that's if they actually have true connections at all. It's just a series of separate flights and if you miss a flight all sorts of dramas ensue. Have been there done that and sometimes saving a buck isn't worth it.

I liked Delta, had no complaints. They had a VERY generous baggage allowance, the planes were comfortable, they were totally on time, the staff were nice, the food was fine, they served huge drinks instead of those dinky little ones a lot of airlines serve and their Delta on Demand entertainment is great. Kept my 6 year old totally quiet and engrossed all the way.

Ditto everything you said. We had no problems with Delta. We flew with them internationally and domestically and there were no delays, food was good, etc.

Thanks for the info on Delta. Didn't know much about them. Good to know they have on-demand entertainment. It has kept us sane on international flights keeping the children "entertained" and now we are not sure if we are brave enough to try an airline that doesn't have them...

Ms. Shuttergirl, I remember in your trip report that you stayed at a hotel in Times Square. Do you mind me asking which one? Hotels around Christmas are so expensive and the novotel will let us have 5 in a room!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter