You down with O.O.P? Yeah you know me! March 11-15, 2017 Updated 4/7 Final Day-COMPLETED

nco91590

DIS Veteran
Hey everyone! I had fun writing my last trip report (in my sig) and it's fun to go back to every now and again when I get the Disney blues. I thought I would do another quick dining report while this trip is fresh in my mind. My job is about to get real crazy, and with 2 little kids my brain is practically mush. So this is a good way to remember what we actually did on this trip.

I still haven't figured out how to really use all the tools and things, so again, this report is probably going to be wonky in spots.

Quick introductions, my name is Natalie, with me is Scott my husband
IMG_9435.JPG

and our two kids:

Alice, age 6 and Rowan age 4. This picture pretty much sums up their personalities. Alice is lovely and sweet and Rowan is an absolute mad man.
IMG_9176.JPG

We stayed 4 nights at the Beach Club Villas and 3 nights in Clearwater Beach, FL where my parents rented a condo. They're trying to figure out where they want spend winters during retirement. Splitting the trip up was really nice. It was the perfect mix of Disney madness and nice relaxing beach time. Plus my mom did all our laundry in the condo the night before we left (SCORE!).

Our last trip was just me and the hubs. So I had more time to take photos of our food without the kids diving head first into everything. Unfortunately, I really only got a chance to take a few food pics. But I did manage to take better notes on our food.

We decided against the Dining Plan for this trip. We felt like we wasted a lot of food on our last trip. This trip was definitely less food-centric as well. I thought I would do a quick down and dirty write up of how much we spent vs. DDP at the end.

Here's where we ate:

Captain's Grille
La Cantina de San Angel
La Cava
Kringela Bakery Og Kafe
Rose and Crown
Be our Guest
Homecoming: Florida Kitchen and Shine Bar
Columbia Harbor House
Smokehouse F&G booth
The Crews Cup
Tomorrowland Terrace

Last edited:
Day 1: March 11, 2017 Arrival Day

Leading up to this trip I was probably on Weather.com about a million times a day. I had everyone mostly packed the week before but as our departure day approached, the weather got pretty grim. Cold and rainy. So naturally, I messed with my suitcases a million times. But then, the weather looked better! Highs of 65-70. Well that's manageable, right?

What I failed to think about is how much time you spend standing in the shade when you're in WDW. Pretty much everything is in the shade. Lines to meet characters, lines for rides, restaurants, etc. This is perfect for those 100 degree days...but when it's 48 at 8am, the shade chills you to the bone. And I live in the NE. I know cold. I was thankful that I packed extra sweatshirts and pants/leggings for the kids. We still ended up with a few new hoodies and a fleece blanket which came in handy.

We also decided to bring the sit and stand stroller. Scott and I fantasized about how we were going to ceremoniously destroy that thing when we get back. We hate it so much, but with the heavy crowds it was great to just stick the kids in it and plow through. It also did a great job of holding our sweatshirts and jackets when it did eventually warm up.

As I mentioned, we live in the NE, and it was also state-wide college spring break where we're from. So tickets were insanely expensive. We ended up buying tickets in and out of Philly...about 3 hours away. GREAT IDEA and I HIGHLY recommend it. We saved like, $1000k total by doing this. The ride home at 10pm wasn't super fun...but I would do it again in a heartbeat.

We sailed through check in and security

IMG_9142.JPG

Before we knew it, we were on the Magical Express on our way to our home resort...Beach Club Villas!! Guess who got the nice quiet seat with Alice??

IMG_9154.JPG

Now, some of you may remember from my last report that we had a rocky trip in August 2014. Well Disney totally made it right and we are SOOOO good. But they still sent up treats for our arrival and provided turn-down service every night...something that I don't think they typically do in the Villas. At least, every trip I've ever been on. We had amazing service from start to finish at the Beach Club despite it being busy and crowded.IMG_9161.JPG

Thankfully I was able to get a pic before my kids absolutely DESTROYED those macaroons. I did taste a few crumbs and they were delicious. Not overly sweet as I usually find macaroons to be. Such a nice touch. I love the new rooms too! The murphy bed was cool, but we actually liked the table for breakfast and for Alice to do a bit of homework while we were there. Plus she bonked her head on it the first night and was not too happy about it. My only complaint is that they just give one thin blanket for bedding on the pullout/murphy bed. I didn't bother asking for another blanket, but if you tend to get chilly at night, might want to send a request via email.

It was about 5pm, and our reservation at Captain's Grille was at 6:30, so we decided to head down the boardwalk for some fun and games
IMG_9191.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9200.JPG
    IMG_9200.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 1,691
  • IMG_9198.JPG
    IMG_9198.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,649
Last edited:
Following along! Sounds like they set you up really well and those treats look amazing! My boys fell asleep when I got the macaron at F&G a couple of weeks ago, and I was SOOO happy to have it all to myself!:rolleyes:

Okay so I couldn't wait and caught up now. Work can wait, right? :rotfl:

Alice, age 6 and Rowan age 4. This picture pretty much sums up their personalities. Alice is lovely and sweet and Rowan is an absolute mad man.
Bless you mama for even attempting a DR with two littles to handle on top of job stress. These things are work but they are so fun to look back on!

They're trying to figure out where they want spend winters during retirement.
What a great problem to have. Glad y'all could help with the research... :hyper:

Before we knew it, we were on the Magical Express on our way to our home resort...Beach Club Villas!! Guess who got the nice quiet seat with Alice??
Couldn't quote the photo but the picture of your little nuggets in the airport with their bags is too stinking cute! Your family is so photogenic!

Thankfully I was able to get a pic before my kids absolutely DESTROYED those macaroons. I did taste a few crumbs and they were delicious.
Oh okay we're off to a great start with the food pics! Disney macarons are the jam jam. Spoiler alert: they have them at California Grill and we may or may not have destroyed a half dozen of those bad boys. :rolleyes1 I'm gonna have to go back to the previous report to recall how Disney screwed up your last stay. Glad you got some extra pampering this time!

Looking forward to Captains Grille and reading more!!! :flower3:

Okay so I couldn't wait and caught up now. Work can wait, right? :rotfl:

Bless you mama for even attempting a DR with two littles to handle on top of job stress. These things are work but they are so fun to look back on!

What a great problem to have. Glad y'all could help with the research... :hyper:

Couldn't quote the photo but the picture of your little nuggets in the airport with their bags is too stinking cute! Your family is so photogenic!

Oh okay we're off to a great start with the food pics! Disney macarons are the jam jam. Spoiler alert: they have them at California Grill and we may or may not have destroyed a half dozen of those bad boys. :rolleyes1 I'm gonna have to go back to the previous report to recall how Disney screwed up your last stay. Glad you got some extra pampering this time!

Looking forward to Captains Grille and reading more!!! :flower3:

Wait.....macaroons are the coconut things?? Macaron is the little French ones. Dang it. Sigh. Also, teach me how to reply to a bunch of people at once. I needs helps.

Wait.....macaroons are the coconut things?? Macaron is the little French ones. Dang it. Sigh. Also, teach me how to reply to a bunch of people at once. I needs helps.

LOL. Yes, your assessment of macaron v macaroon is spot on :thumbsup2 however most of the time I am on my phone replying to the boards and Siri just decides to type whatever she wants so I don't split hairs.

You are asking the wrong lady for help! I have to be on my laptop to ever reply properly. I swear there is nothing but trouble trying to respond from my phone or iPad. I have, however, mastered the multiquote... you just either highlight the text you want to quote and hit the "+quote" in the blue text bubble or you can just quote the whole post from the bottom corner. Quote everybody! And then when you hit insert quote just leave 'em all there and type back in between. This concludes your IT assistance from Melinda

giphy.gif

(See I can put in fancy stuff 'cause now I'm at home on the computer. It's a lost cause otherwise)

Edited to add that when I read your trip report title I almost snorted coffee out of my nose because that is ALWAYS what I think of when I read "OOP"

Following along! Sounds like they set you up really well and those treats look amazing! My boys fell asleep when I got the macaron at F&G a couple of weeks ago, and I was SOOO happy to have it all to myself!:rolleyes:

I have mastered the art of eating chocolate and cookies in hiding. I have one cabinet that I open and pretend to rifle through, but in reality I'm elbow deep in their Halloween candy. Lol

Here for the food & drinks! :cool1:

Cracking up at your title because I definitely sing that out loud when I see OOP :laughing: Your kids are so cute!

Cuz I'm naughty by nature not cuz I hate ya....

Hey girl hey! I am thoroughly enjoying your report too. Scott wants to stay at SSR next trip. We could do some serious damage over in Disney Springs. I seriously don't know how you can run during a trip to Disney. Just walking kills me. But I probably could sprint from the La Cava to get a Grey Goose slush. Sooo many lines this week. I barely got to do any of my favorite things over there

What a beautiful family! And the trip report title - I'm totally in! Following along. Thanks for sharing.

Cuz I'm naughty by nature not cuz I hate ya....

Hey girl hey! I am thoroughly enjoying your report too. Scott wants to stay at SSR next trip. We could do some serious damage over in Disney Springs. I seriously don't know how you can run during a trip to Disney. Just walking kills me. But I probably could sprint from the La Cava to get a Grey Goose slush. Sooo many lines this week. I barely got to do any of my favorite things over there

Haaay! Thanks a lot! I really loved SSR. If I wanted a few nights to try the Disney Springs restaurants I'd totally stay there again and just stumble back every night after a few drinks. I really thought my feet were going to detach from my body after that race. I only ran as fast as I did (which wasn't very fast) because they give you nachos and cheese in the snack boxes.

Day 1 (cont.)

Thanks everyone for reading so far! Giving me warm fuzzies :)

Speaking of warm fuzzies, we were just a smidge early for Captain's Grille, and usually they are able to accommodate, but I guess the word is getting out about this place. We were given a pager when I checked in and we mosied on over to the Ale and Compass for a pre-dinner cocktail.

Scott gave a little geography lesson:
IMG_9205.JPG

What says "I'm on vacation" better than a Disney Mai Tai??? Nothing my friends. I made friends with the bartender Robin who is sassy and made me a super strong Mai Tai that was absolutely delish. Almost as soon as we ordered our table was ready.

IMG_9208.JPG

I love Captain's Grille. We've been coming here for at least one meal on every trip for a while now. The food and service are always really solid. When we were led to our table, I was delighted to get the same table we've had for 3 meals in a row now. It's in the way back tucked into a corner by the hallway. There's a model ship on one side, and just one booth on the other. It's always really quiet and you don't feel like you're in the middle of the restaurant. If you can, try and request it. Look for our names carved into the table...jk jk jk.

Brian was our waiter and he was FAB. Super friendly, quick and efficient. We ordered drinks, Scott got a Mai Tai, I ordered Kim Crawford Sauv Blanc and a couple of milks for the kids. After zero deliberation, Scott ordered the seafood chowder and the NY Strip (lifted this from yelp...but it was the same dinner). Scott said both his chowder and his steak were delicious and perfectly cooked. He likes his meat rare, and it was the perfect temp.
Captain's Grille Steak.jpg

Alice ordered the steak skewars, Rowan the chicken nuggets and a side of green beans. I was determined to make my kids eat at least one serving of veggies a day. Alice is super picky, so mealtimes are always a bit stressful. She eats like a bird too, which is another reason we decided against the DDP.

I wasn't able to get pics of the kids meals...it was a few pieces of steak on a stick and your standard Disney nuggets. She loved the steak and Rowan loved his nuggets. They both gave me a hard time about the green beans (natch), but in exchange for dessert they reluctantly ate them. I am not above bribery. You should know this about me.

Here's my meal....Cabernet-braised Short Rib - corn risotto, pan jus reduction and corn cream
IMG_9209.JPG

The risotto was AMAZING. I loved the sweet corn flavor. The rice was perfectly cooked and not mushy at all. The short ribs were very tasty, but sadly, a bit gristly. I completely understand that short ribs are an inherently fatty cut of meat. But I've never had a problem with ordering short ribs from a restaurant in the past. There was like, a line of fat running through the middle. Once I scraped it off, I was able to enjoy the meal.

Grownups skipped dessert (I was sooo full!), Alice ordered the push up cupcake and Rowan ordered the DIY ice cream sundae. Thumbs up all around

IMG_9211.JPG

We were presented with our bill, and after tip we paid $144.41
IMG_9213.JPG

After dinner, we waddled back to the room and changed into our suits for a quick swim in the villa pool. It was a long day and I wanted us all rested for Day 2--EPCOT!!!!!

Following along! I just binge read your old dining/trip report and I love your writing and your sense of humor! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter