You may only visit YOUR favorite attraction every 30 days effective immediately!

jonathansullivan

DIS + IOA Veteran
RnR fans, only one ride per month. Only one Tiki Room Visit, and only one visit to BLAST!

Ok, while that is not true, a lot of folks are comparing the new 30 day rule at Millionaire with that type of policy.

Under the current policy you may only visit the hotseat once every 30 days. Prior to now, disney encouraged people to go as many times as they could. Many vacationing guest are really upset because they don't have a chance to return. Many hotseat players after 1 trip become comfortable and get there eyes on the prize of a trip to NY.

Personally I believe a 1 trip per day rule is much more acceptable.
(BTW: The rule does not apply to me, as I am (have been) block for 12 months since I won the Million Point Prize) The 12 month rule is definitely appropriate however.

The rule was enacted due to a very handful of people (mainly Barbara) who monopolized the seat every show all day. Guest began to question if it was rigged. Most respectable addicts limit themselves to 1-2 trip at most per day.

What do you think? Anyone want to share personal experiences and thoughts? Cast Members?

While I think the debate on this topic should remain there, from a News, Rumours, Buisness perspective. I suspect that this is the kind of decision that will change over time as the kinks get worked out. I don't think hotseat addicts were planned for. Certainly it is not an indication of Disney trying to screw guests. They merely over-reacted. I'll bet within a couple of months the rules will have changed.

Sorry, but that will never happen! Allotments for amusement rides, no way!

:( Here is some background on the policy and some questions to consider. The Who Wants to Be a Millionaire-Play It attraction has attracted some local annual pass holders as fans including one lady who would get onto the hot seat several times in the same day. On another board, one guests complained about this lady hogging trips to the hot seat. There are other people who are addicted to the game but this one lady seemed to be causing a large degree of the problems. According to one posting, this lady was on the network show and won $64,000 and now goes to the Millionaire attraction in order to get onto the hot seat as many times in one day as possible.

The new policy was evidently put into place by MGM to deal with guests complaining about this lady. As Jonathan stated, now you have to wait thirty days between trips to the hot seat.

Some questions that you might want to consider are:
1. Is the policy of having to wait thirty days between trips to the hot seat fair?
2. Would a better policy be to limit trips to the hot seat to one a day? To me and others, the thirty day policy is broader and more restrictive that was necessary to deal with the problem described above.
3. Since this policy has an adverse affect on out of town resort guests who can not come back every thirty days, would it be appropriate for Disney to exempt resort guests from this policy and allow. Since most out of town guests do not stay for more than thirty days at a time and cannot come back to MGM every thirty days, this policy is in effect a one year wait between trips to the hot seat.
4. Since this policy is more restrictive than it needs to be to deal with the problem thar gave rised to it, is this policy a way for Disney to control costs for the Millionaire attraction by making it more difficult to get onto the hot seat. It is a rare person who can get to the 1,000,000 point level on their first try on the hot seat and one's chances of making it to the 1,000,000 level increases with the number of trips to the hot seat. By limiting the opportunity to be on the hot seat, Disney is also limiting the number of 1,000,000 winners.

...to point out where I think Disney is mortgaging the Magic, but I don't see this in near the same league as attractions closing.

The "attraction" you are guaranteed at Millionaire is the show, not the hot seat. The hot seat is a luck-out (although you have some measure of control over the selection), like being flag family at WL or pulling the sword from the stone.

If it means that more different guests from all over get a better shot at the "luck-out," I think limiting repeat hot-seat appearances is a good way to spread the pixie dust over a wider area.

You can still experience the "attraction" as much as you want, you just don't get to star in it except every thirty days.

Jeff

In Millionaire you are in competition (like the Mickie Marathon & other sporting events).

While I agree that it should now be monopolized (Very much supporting the 1 per day rule).

I have seen with my own eyes, regulars get higher than 32k, newbees usually bomb prior to 1k while a few stray higher.

To the audience a show with a lot of laughs and suspense as the person hits the last 5 questions is much better than 3 or 4 people barely answering 3 or 4 easy questions.

There's gotta be a better way than once every 30 days.

They could limit it to 12 times per year, which is the same maximum as once every 30 days, but it would allow vacationers a chance to get in the hot seat more than once on their vacation.

12 times a year is a very good proposal and most resort guests could live with this type of policy. However, Disney has imposed a significantly more restrictive policy of only once every thrity days which would have the effect of limiting the average out of town resort guest to only tirp to the hot seat every year. or so. At the same time, the local pass holders who caused the problem in the first place would be free to come once every thirty days and get their 12 trips to the hot seat in each year. I think that this is very inapproriate in that it was a small group of local annual pass holders who caused the problem in the first place.

A cynic might think that the purpose of the Disney policy is to control costs by limiting the number of 1,000,000 winners. I urge Disney to consider adopting the least restrictive policy that is appropriate to deal with this issue. If Disney continues with its current policy knowing that there are less restricitive alternatives, that is some evidence Disney is using the new policy to control costs. :rolleyes:

Here is the scoop:

Once per 30 day for people who win over 1,000.

It should be done that only once per WEEK. Since most people are their for a week and a half to two.

If you have never been to the show, I don't recomend posting anything up here. You need to experence the frustration of three annual pass holders monopolizing the hot seat for 5 shows. And I'm not making that up...

Seems that you noticed some of the inconsiterate folks.

I personally don't like seeing a show where the same person is in more than once.

I still support a 1 per day over 1 per month. 7 days is acceptable over 30, but I feel 1 per day is more appropriate for non locals.

jonathansullivan
I wasn't trying to say this wasn't news. Quite the contrary, HOWEVER, the DEBATE over this already has a nice fat thread in the Debate board. I already stated my Take on it from a news and rumours perspective that it will change as Disney feels out how best to control the attraction. This isn't the same as Closing a land to save money, or not making butter in the shape of Mickey. This is a case of Disney trying to make the game as fun as possible for as many guests as possible. This is an example of Disney trying to do something right. It will Shake out to what's best for Disney and the guests over a couple month's time. In the meantime. The Addresses at the top of the page are available. Perhaps a quick not to those in Charge of MGM would make a change.

I believe that maybe a once week policy would be a better, as this would be restrictive enough as this would allow non florida residents a chance. i will be coming to Orlando in Nov so this means if by fluke i get to the hotseat on my first visit it would stop me playing that hotseat for 2 years maybe

IMHOP regarding this subject I find it extremely unfair to limit anybody from going in the hot seat no matter how good they are. If this (Barbara) person whom I dont even know gets in all the time then more power to her, if this is what she wants to do with her time at Disney. She paid for the AP and has a right to every attraction as OFTEN as she wants to ,as would anybody else. Just because there are good players that show up all the time,they are the ones to beat. Practice at home and when you arrive at MGM you should be ready to knock them off if you can. Its called COMPETITION which is what the game is all about. Now changing this subject just a bit... Disney should have a kids version of WWTBM say under 12 years old only. This will give the kids a chance to play with subject matter geared for kids. Lets face it the kids have NO chance at all with the subject matter at the current attraction. BUt to limit somebody from competing just because they are good at the game is WRONG,WRONG,WRONG. :mad:

It's really amazing how this one attraction has everyone in an uproar but to say that "newbees usually bomb prior to 1k while a few stray higher"is really ludicrous and could not be farther from the truth. ...And Barbra is one of a LONG list of regulars who have monopolized the hot seat. We all know who they are and we love to have them there but we are trying to make it as fair as possible. As a CM I can't even step foot in the hot seat let alone go for the million point prize shouldn't I be deserving to go once in my life? I know i'll quit my job and so I can have the luxury of going once every 30 days...;) :D

Kids have some chance on this attraction. My then 13 year daughter made it to the hot seat and made it the 32,000 level. I have seen several kids do fairly well.

Competition is an element of the game, but the main reason the game exists is for entertainment and amusement. If some element of the game causes it to lose its appeal than the reasonable thing to do is try to fix it. I’m not an advocate of restricting people’s rights, but I can understand rules being adapted to make it the best attraction it can be.

Instead of limiting appearances you could make selection to the hot seat more random. Anyone from the top 10 can be selected by chance. Still ensures you have knowledgeable contestants, but harder for one person to dominate. There are probably many potential fixes and the restriction is just the fastest or easiest to implement.

While an interesting debate, this is a debate, not rumor and only just barely news. Please try to keep the commentary to how this policy affects Dinsey, as opposed to 'yes they should' or 'no they shouldn't'

Thanks,

Sarangel

Good point Sarangel...

This is getting too debatie. Why Disney is doing this is to increase the amount of different people in the hot seat. It dosne't matter if you make it to the million. I missed the 500 pointer and still had fun and will remember it forever. Something truely magical. Only in Disney can you go in the hot seat, and Disney should do everything it can to spread the memory to everyone, not just the "triva guru's" or people who live in Orlando with AP's.

Just curious....

Does anyone know how many questions are in the "computer" ??? During our last trip (attraction was just opening) we sat through at least 4 shows and many of the questions were repeated... it wouldn't be difficult at all for local AP holders to memorize the questions/answers and get a jump on hitting the buttons the fastest in order to get into the hotseat..... not something you can "practice at home".

;) BTW, even the youngest children can know some of the answers to the questions.... this was apparent when a question was asked about "Pooh's favorite food" and before the host read off the possible answers a little girl (5 yrs old) yelled "HONEY!!" (LOL)

I think that Disney's policy shows their commitment to having this attraction remain a " fun, entertaining challenge" for all it's guests... not just those able to come every day. They should realize that if word gets out that you've got no chance against the "locals", people won't bother standing in line to watch a "non-competition".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter