You mean I DO get to go to WDW in 2014?? - Link to TR in post #523

franandaj

I'm so happy, I could BOUNCE!

You mean I DO get to go to WDW in 2014?????

::yes::

That’s exactly what I said, “You mean we get to go to WDW in 2014?” Ruthie (luvchefmic) was there and she can verify it.

Those of you who know me are not surprised to know that I have my trips planned all the way through 2015 and am working on the rough outline for 2016. There was no room in 2014 for a trip to WDW with a road trip in early May, Gay Games in Cleveland in August and a cruise combined with a Lesbian and Gay Band Association trip in Oct/Nov. Fran said the cats would revolt and forget who we were so we couldn’t be gone that many times during the year.

Well, since we are taking friends with us in March of 2015, and we do have Disneyland right here, so I supposed we can live without it. We did go all the way from April 2001 until January 2007 without a trip. However, since buying DVC in 2007, we’ve been back every year with the exception of 2012 (due to medical reasons). So I was all ready to accept my fate.

And then on our last trip we went to Theme Park Connection…those of you who have been along for the ride on past TRs know that Fran loves to shop. She practically became TPC’s best customer at the D23 Expo (when I finish that TR you’ll have the final reveal). But we visited their warehouse in Orlando on this last trip to WDW, and when she found out that they were moving to a new, bigger and better warehouse, well she HAD to come back and see it! And that’s when she said it, “We should come back here next year when they are in their new location!”

Here we are at TPC with Ruthie, this is just after Fran said we could come back in 2014.

But it didn’t become real until November 6, when we actually booked our DVC stay. I was astonished that there was still an entire week available at the Villas at the Grand Floridian in a one bedroom unit. Now I supposed we were only one week past the 7 month mark, but still, I thought it would be years before we actually had a chance at staying there! I grabbed us an HA Villa since the BCV one worked out so nicely for us. I stole these pictures from Kat4Disney off the VGF Owners Thread. I hope that she doesn’t mind!

p488960839-3.jpg

p330977229-4.jpg

p121979659-3.jpg

p532269320-4.jpg

View:

p478327298-3.jpg

p380678713-3.jpg

p462019026-3.jpg

p34653681-3.jpg

p66389481-3.jpg

p149817229-3.jpg

The next step was flights. I began to look into flights to MCO and it appears that American Airlines has likely discontinued our favorite non-stop flight to Orlando from LAX. We learned on our trip to Atlanta this Fall that we can switch planes in DFW, but we need adequate time to do so. I was able to book us some flights with substantial layover times, our outbound flight has 2 ½ hours layover and the return flight has almost three hours layover. I’m sure you think I’m crazy for wanting a longer layover, but with an airport that large and we move really slowly, we’d rather have a planned wait at the airport instead of miss our flight and have a forced wait.

Here’s the kicker. There were no reasonable flights that arrived on May 29th. Either they required three different legs, or a 1AM departure and the flight actually didn’t arrive until the 30th, AFTER our check in day. It turned out that to get a decent flight we would have to come in on Wednesday May 28th.

We ended up with these flights

Depart LAX 6:30 AM to DFW arrives at 11:30AM
Depart DFW 1:40PM to MCO arrive at 5:10PM

Hopefully 2 hours and 10 minutes will be a long enough layover to get from plane to plane.

Return flight

Depart MCO 11:45AM arrive DFW 1:35PM
Depart DFW 4:15PM arrive LAX at 5:35PM

Here we have a definitely comfortable 2½ hours between flights

So the next question was where to stay? We have always wanted to stay at the Art of Animation since it opened, but I really didn’t want to stay in the Little Mermaid section. They can’t guarantee queen beds and the two bed rooms have doubles. We would have to sleep in two separate beds and after 17 years, that just doesn’t seem right!

One of the family suites in the Nemo, Cars or Lion King Section were running at $365 per night! :scared1: Since that was the only value resort that appealed at all to us, we began looking at moderate resorts for the night. We have stayed at POR, Fran has stayed at CBR, so we decided that checking out CSR was the best option.

We were able to get an HA room, evidently it has a Queen Bed AND a King Bed! Not that we need two beds, but since they didn’t have a one King only available, we took the one King one Queen.

So flights, check!
Accomodations, check!

Next up, ADRS and plans!

:woohoo: You get to go in 2014! I'm so happy for you. And the VGF? Swanky. It looks amazing. Pam's report has got me wanting to give it a go.

Am I first? I feel special. :teeth:

I prefer longer layovers as well. I finished my October 2013 report today and when you read it, you'll know why. Two hours is perfect.

You going down there the same time as us again. Although we are there only 2 nights at BWV that weekend for Star Wars stuff.

Yay! Another Fran and Alison trip! So excited you found a whole week at VGF! That is awesome.

Jill in CO

Checking in. I am glad that you have the accommodation and flights booked. I know Graham has visited CSR a few times and really loves it. I am with you on the long layovers. Whenever we fly indirect we go for a nice long layover, too.

Corinna

:woohoo: You get to go in 2014! I'm so happy for you. And the VGF? Swanky. It looks amazing. Pam's report has got me wanting to give it a go.

Am I first? I feel special. :teeth:

I prefer longer layovers as well. I finished my October 2013 report today and when you read it, you'll know why. Two hours is perfect.

You are first, :thumbsup2 and you are special! ::yes:: I'm hoping it will be enough. I'm hoping that they bring her a wheelchair to get from gate to gate since the scooters will be checked through.

You going down there the same time as us again. Although we are there only 2 nights at BWV that weekend for Star Wars stuff.

Perhaps we might run into each other. We are planning to do the SWW stuff.

:thumbsup2

Whoop! I am excited for you!

Thanks!

Yay! Another Fran and Alison trip! So excited you found a whole week at VGF! That is awesome.

Jill in CO

I know! I couldn't believe my luck, I thought it would be years before I got in at the 7 month mark.

Checking in. I am glad that you have the accommodation and flights booked. I know Graham has visited CSR a few times and really loves it. I am with you on the long layovers. Whenever we fly indirect we go for a nice long layover, too.

Corinna

We won't have a lot of time to check it out fully, but we plan on a little bit of time to go around the grounds and have a look see.

Im here! I have to come back to read but I'm here!

Well, let me know what you think when you get back!

The Plans

So our ADR window opened up while we were up at my folks over Thanksgiving. I should have been up at 3AM that morning, but I forgot and didnt take care of it until around 8AM my time. We wanted to try BOG and so that was the first reservation that I tried for. I got it but there was only one time slot available, so I nabbed it. And this was using my 7 day advance reservations for our last night (which we strategically planned to get the most out of our 180 day window). We also got Le Cellier and a few others. Here are how the plans have worked out so far.

Day 1, Wednesday, May 28th, 2014
Fly to MCO take DME to Coronado Springs Resort
Dinner at Pepper Market

Day 2, Thursday May 29th, 2014
Breakfast at the Resort
Check out the Resort
Bus to MK, Monorail to GF, check in
MK until room is ready
Get settled in room
Dinner at 1900 Park Fare

Day 3, Friday May 30th, 2014
Quick breakfast in room
Head over to DHS for SWW
Lunch at QS DHS
More SWW stuff
Dinner in the room, Chinese Chicken Salad and maybe some Frozen Asian appetizers.

Day 4, Saturday May 31st, 2014
Quick breakfast in room,
Head over to DHS for SWW, if there is something different from Friday (if not all bets are off and we are free to do what we want to do!)
Lunch at QS DHS (see above)
More SWW stuff (see above)
Dinner in the room, Turkey Club Sandwiches, chips and summer salad.

Day 5, Sunday June 1st, 2014
Quick breakfast in room, or not?
Head over to DHS for SWW, if there is something different from Friday and Saturday (if not all bets are off and we are free to do what we want to do!)
Lunch at QS DHS (see above)
More SWW stuff (see above)
We could also go to Epcot
Dinner at Narcoosees @ 7:15PM

Day 6, Monday June 2nd , 2014
Possible day to go to TPC
Otherwise Epcot
Dinner at Le Celier 7:15PM

Day 7, Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014
Go to AK
Late Lunch at Sanaa 2:30PM
Probably eat leftovers in the room for dinner.

Day 7, Wednesday, June 4th, 2014
Possible day to go to TPC?
Otherwise MK
Dinner at Be Our Guest 5:55PM

Day 8, Thursday, June 5th, 2014
Check out of hotel early
Take DME back to MCO for the trip home.

Im not sure well be booking the one hour early DME this trip. Already we will have to have our bags packed and ready to go by 8AM to get them checked to the airport. Catching the 8:45 DME might be tough on us.

So I bet everyones big question is what chunk of meat will she be throwing in her suitcase this time?" Well Im not! Most of you know about a year ago I traveled with a Prime Rib that visited the Titanic Exhibition in the back of Frans Scooter before it was cooked into four totally different glorious meals on different nights of our trip.

Last trip I brought a couple of Tri Tips along for a big DISmeet that we had over near the Barbeque Grills at the Beach Club. However, with temperatures in the high 80s to 90s in May/June, large chunk of meat cooked in a hot steamy oven in the Villa, just didnt resound with me. I thought about making a pot of spaghetti sauce, but again not in hot weather. Since I cook so many hams and turkeys at home, we always have sliced sandwich meat in the freezer so we decided to bring some of each. The ham will be for snacks in the room. The turkey will be combined with bacon for Club sandwiches for dinner.

In addition, those of you who are familiar with Costcos Chinese Chicken salad will know that they have a little bag of chicken, along with non-perishables (dressing, Chinese croutons, etc). Im going to toss those in with the sliced turkey and ham. By ordering our produce from the grocery service we can round out our meals nicely.

Here is my grocery list so far. Im sure that it will change in the next few months.

Grocery list

12 pack cans mountain dew
6 pack bottles diet Dr. Pepper
White Bread sliced
Head iceberg lettuce
4 cucumbers
4 tomatoes on the vine
1 red onion
1 lb bacon
6 Yoplait Lowfat Yogurts (4 strawberry, 1 raspberry, 1 blueberry)
½ dozen eggs
Smallest pack of real butter available
Original Kettle Chips from Lays
V8
½ gallon 2% milk
2 individual servings honey nut cheerios

Here are some of the things that I definitely want to do on this trip.

Go to sleep the night before we fly!

More rides!
Hopefully they will have worked out the glitch with the Premier Passports and we can actually book FP+ online by the time the trip rolls around. Besides the fact that I had so many F&W events to get to, we didnt do nearly enough rides last trip. I plan to change that this trip.

I want to try the Sorcerers of the MK game. Several friends have commented on it and it sounds like great fun.

Relax by the pool

Maybe get a spa treatment

Well thats it for this update. I think thats quite a list for now!

I'm loving these plans! No V & A's this trip?

At first I couldn't for the life of me figure out why you were talking about CSR. You booked the VGF first and flights after? I enjoyed CSR a lot, my dad took me and some friends when I graduated 8th grade. I remember the pool was very cool.

I'm loving these plans! No V & A's this trip?

At first I couldn't for the life of me figure out why you were talking about CSR. You booked the VGF first and flights after? I enjoyed CSR a lot, my dad took me and some friends when I graduated 8th grade. I remember the pool was very cool.

Yeah, we went ahead and booked the VGF for a week not worrying about other plans. Then we really couldn't get a flight that worked coming in on the first day of the trip so the only option was to come in a day early. DARN! We already had to borrow some points to book this trip (I rented out a whole lot of points last year, to the point that my dues were more than covered, but I didn't have enough to book this trip.) I borrowed points to book the week and when we needed to add a day we thought about just adding a day on points, but we want to stay at all the Disney resorts.

It would have been 48 points for another night at VGF, at $10 a point that's $480, Fran wants to charge $12 a point in the future so even more. The CSR is only about $200 for the night and we get in kind of late so why spend all the points/money when we get in late? Besides now we get to check out another resort!

Great looking plans. I'm glad you got BoG! I assume that they serve the Strawberry soup at dinner at 1900?

I'm in! I was confused about the CSR vs the Grand Floridian so thanks for asking Pam! I understand now makes sense re points :-)

Great re TPC! Jo and I are so going to have to check that out! Wohhoo to Star Wars weekend us too :-) can't wait!

Great you managed to sneak in this trip. Our May SWW trip is a sneaky one too!

Great plans! How wonderful that you will be back this year!

Bobbi:goodvibes

Your plans are great and I love the ADRs that you have made. Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom is a lot of fun. You should definitely try this.

Corinna

Great looking plans. I'm glad you got BoG! I assume that they serve the Strawberry soup at dinner at 1900?

Yeah, I saw that in Ruthie's TR when she ate there for her Birthday. The stepsisters are supposed to be a hoot!

I'm in! I was confused about the CSR vs the Grand Floridian so thanks for asking Pam! I understand now makes sense re points :-)

Great re TPC! Jo and I are so going to have to check that out! Wohhoo to Star Wars weekend us too :-) can't wait!

Great you managed to sneak in this trip. Our May SWW trip is a sneaky one too!

Staying a night there also give us the opportunity to see yet another resort too! :thumbsup2 Maybe we could all go to TPC on the same day, it's a lot more fun with friends! I hope that they release the schedule for SWW soon so we can know what to plan for Saturday and Sunday.

Great plans! How wonderful that you will be back this year!

Bobbi:goodvibes

:welcome: over here! Nice to see you!

Your plans are great and I love the ADRs that you have made. Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom is a lot of fun. You should definitely try this.

Corinna

You're one of the people who made it sound like a fun game.

Lovin the plans so far. We are about $12 a point also...

That's good to know about points. We must be on the right track.

:confused3 Is that a good wow?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter