You went to Disney? But you don't have kids.

APiratesLifeForMe2

DIS Veteran
Ok fellow adults, excuse me while I vent my annoyance with people today. I have talked to at least three people in the past week about Disney and each of them had the exact same response... "You went to Disney?? But you don't have kids?" or "Your planning a Disney trip? I didn't think you had kids"

Oh if they only knew the pleasure of experiencing Disney without little ones. I think I'll go back to talking Disney on the Dis and leave my friends out of the Disney conversations. Next time they ask me about my vacations I am just going to say, "you wouldn't understand".

Didn't you know ONLY people with kids goto disney in the real world? You must be some freak of nature to go without kids. :P I am kidding of course. I would love to someday take an adults only trip and leave the little guy at home. So many things to see and do for all ages.

Some people just aren't in touch with their inner child. Others have had that child taken out back and shot. Don't let their judgements rain on your fun.

I've been getting lately the "But you were just there in May," responses, as if that's some kind of resaon not to go. To me, it's like saying "You're eating lunch? But you had lunch yesterday!" I'll go when I want, thanks!

I go to Disney all the time and I dont have kids, and I understand the frustration completley!! I even created a blog for us people who enjoy Disney without kids! :beach:

Didn't you know ONLY people with kids goto disney in the real world? You must be some freak of nature to go without kids. :P I am kidding of course. I would love to someday take an adults only trip and leave the little guy at home. So many things to see and do for all ages.

In the reverse, DH and I talk about how different of an experience it will be if we have kids to take one day.

Some people just aren't in touch with their inner child. Others have had that child taken out back and shot. Don't let their judgements rain on your fun.

I've been getting lately the "But you were just there in May," responses, as if that's some kind of resaon not to go. To me, it's like saying "You're eating lunch? But you had lunch yesterday!" I'll go when I want, thanks!

I always embrace my inner child and we have loads of fun in Disney. Adult me is left at the airport. We went canoeing this past weekend with my dad and he tried to convince me it was better than any ride in Disney. :rotfl: Sorry dad, Disney beets a canoe down the river any day of the week.

My wife and I get this all the time! With or without kids far be it from me to question a person's personal preference and what they do with their money.

I wonder if people are genuinely confused about adult trips or just envious...

I go to Disney all the time and I dont have kids, and I understand the frustration completley!! I even created a blog for us people who enjoy Disney without kids! :beach:

I knew people here would understand! Disney is too fun to have a kid holding me back anyway. I'm embracing my kid free years.

My wife and I get this all the time! With or without kids far be it from me to question a person's personal preference and what they do with their money.

I wonder if people are genuinely confused about adult trips or just envious...

Exactly! Maybe I should start commenting on their trips and see how they like it.

I'm just a big kid.

:woohoo: Big kids have more fun anyway

Haha. Same here. I always get the "HOW many times did you go last year???" And " WITHOUT kids??" It's funny. I usually then Like to throw in well I did have a season pass (I live in Michigan) it makes me laugh at the crazy face they make. I usually have a couple business trips in the Orlando area and Anaheim area so I'm lucky to piggyback business trips :)

When I would get back to work after another Disney vacation I would be met with the typical, 'Disney is for kids' and 'you don't even have kids, why would you go to Disney' or 'wouldn't you have more fun in a more grown up place'. There were a lot of things I wanted to say to them (using a vast array of 'adult words'), but usually I just wound up saying 'oh, you've never been to Disney.'

We definitely don't need to explain our Disney addiction to anyone. To each his/her own, I suppose. I personally don't see the fun in laying on a beach for a week. I'd rather be stalking Chip and Dale for pictures, flirting with Gaston, or showing Ariel my whosits, whatsits, and thingamabobs! :lmao:

I always embrace my inner child and we have loads of fun in Disney. Adult me is left at the airport. We went canoeing this past weekend with my dad and he tried to convince me it was better than any ride in Disney. :rotfl: Sorry dad, Disney beets a canoe down the river any day of the week.

Do we have the same dad? :rotfl2:

DH and I are taking an anniversary trip and we've started telling people that we're going to Epcot's Food and Wine Festival vs. telling them we're going to Disney because of the strange looks we get. It's true, we are going for F&W, but we started planning an adults-only trip when we came back from our first trip as a family and realized how much we missed seeing because we were so busy watching the kids' reactions to things. We're both looking forward to doing what WE want, when we want to.

We have kid(s) and would LOVE to do an adults only WDW trip! Good for you! :cheer2:

DW and I took the DD, and 3 DGD's to DLR last April. We all had a great time, but DW and I came home saying the same thing...we gotta go back by ourselves! So we are! Just booked DLH for March 2015. We have been many times since we became empty nesters, and love it. Something special about taking it in leisurely with a special spouse or friend. DW and I have been to WDW 3 times now, the last time was by ourselves, and we had a great time. We've taken the kids many times, and I'm sure we will again. Wouldn't trade those memories for any thing, but to say you need kids to enjoy it well..if you don't understand now, you probably never will. Just the Peter Pan in me I guess :lmao:

Ok fellow adults, excuse me while I vent my annoyance with people today. I have talked to at least three people in the past week about Disney and each of them had the exact same response... "You went to Disney?? But you don't have kids?" or "Your planning a Disney trip? I didn't think you had kids"

Oh if they only knew the pleasure of experiencing Disney without little ones. I think I'll go back to talking Disney on the Dis and leave my friends out of the Disney conversations. Next time they ask me about my vacations I am just going to say, "you wouldn't understand".

It's just as bad as the responses I get when I say I'm going to Disney, but not taking my kids. "How can you go without your wonderful, beautiful, well behaved little girls (ok, that's my kids saying that to me), but people I know say generally the same thing.

My response, easy, I book a hotel and I go. I figure for every 4 times I've taken my kids I've gone once by myself.

Have these people you talk of ever been to Disney world?? I am guessing not. My parents use to take me and my 3 sisters and brother to Disney when I was knee high. Everyone enjoyed it just as much. My parents even convinced their friends to take a chance on Disney(they went to orlando anyway) Anyway they love the parks now. Sure some people don't get it even if they do go but different taste for different people. I don't go up to people and ask them why they go to france all the time or Italy. Different people enjoy different things.

DH and I are taking an anniversary trip and we've started telling people that we're going to Epcot's Food and Wine Festival vs. telling them we're going to Disney because of the strange looks we get. It's true, we are going for F&W, but we started planning an adults-only trip when we came back from our first trip as a family and realized how much we missed seeing because we were so busy watching the kids' reactions to things. We're both looking forward to doing what WE want, when we want to.

Yes I have been using the "my husband wants to run in the TOT race next year".

DW and I took the DD, and 3 DGD's to DLR last April. We all had a great time, but DW and I came home saying the same thing...we gotta go back by ourselves! So we are! Just booked DLH for March 2015. We have been many times since we became empty nesters, and love it. Something special about taking it in leisurely with a special spouse or friend. DW and I have been to WDW 3 times now, the last time was by ourselves, and we had a great time. We've taken the kids many times, and I'm sure we will again. Wouldn't trade those memories for any thing, but to say you need kids to enjoy it well..if you don't understand now, you probably never will. Just the Peter Pan in me I guess :lmao:

Good for you planning some adult only trips! I love what you said in the bold there. I think that is what annoys me the most. Making an assumption that I have to have a kid to enjoy Disney. I don't have kids, I might some day but for now my husband and I take vacations that we enjoy. Disney is one of those places! All other trips are priced in comparison to Disney.....we could go to the beach for a week or for the same price we could stay deluxe with dinning for 4 nights and 5 days... :scratchin

Have these people you talk of ever been to Disney world?? I am guessing not. My parents use to take me and my 3 sisters and brother to Disney when I was knee high. Everyone enjoyed it just as much. My parents even convinced their friends to take a chance on Disney(they went to orlando anyway) Anyway they love the parks now. Sure some people don't get it even if they do go but different taste for different people. I don't go up to people and ask them why they go to france all the time or Italy. Different people enjoy different things.

Yes two of them have been to Disney but it was when they were kids. They don't have to like Disney or take their vacations there, but I wish they would keep their weird negative comments to themselves. I even had someone make fun of my mom's Christmas gift because I got her a WDW tshirt and Epcot mug. She was ecstatic and a family member asked her if she planned to wear that in public. :scared1: She wears it at least once a week and uses her mug daily :yay:

EpicBilynn said:
We definitely don't need to explain our Disney addiction to anyone. To each his/her own, I suppose. I personally don't see the fun in laying on a beach for a week. I'd rather be stalking Chip and Dale for pictures, flirting with Gaston, or showing Ariel my whosits, whatsits, and thingamabobs! :lmao:
THIS. Amazing. You just made me smile so much! :D

My father and his wife are horrifically guilty of expressing their distaste for me and my husband's vacation plans. "Disney is for kids!" Welp, guess I'm a big 30 year old kid then!

I love my father but there is no point in arguing with someone whose inner child has long since been trampled to death. :rolleyes:

Some people just aren't in touch with their inner child. Others have had that child taken out back and shot. Don't let their judgements rain on your fun. I've been getting lately the "But you were just there in May," responses, as if that's some kind of resaon not to go. To me, it's like saying "You're eating lunch? But you had lunch yesterday!" I'll go when I want, thanks!

People used to give me that "You're going again?!" thing at work. Now they just expect it. They also expect me to go alone. No one even asks who I am going with anymore. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter