You win some you booze some, a HOT August 2017 dining report! complete 1/25*

Wouldn't miss this one!

And let me admit right now I've led you a little astray with my title, as there was a bit less boozing this trip for me than normal due to the excessive ridiculous heat affecting me more than it usually does.
OMG I hear ya! I'd wanted to get a little more adult beveraging in myself, but in the heat, I felt like water should be my go-to move :sad2: :laughing:

I'm here! I've been a terrible Dis-er lately, but even though I may get behind fairly often, I'm excited as always to follow along!!

BUT FIRST, A SHORT PSA

Thank you everyone for following along! Before I get this party started let me go back and mention one small piece of info. I forgot to put in my intro. Our stay this time included 5 nights at my favorite resort, the Wilderness Lodge. But we weren't just at the WL, we were CLUB LEVEL at the WL! This was our first CL stay and if I have my way it won't be our last. However prior to those 5 nights we stayed for 2 nights at the Yacht Club, which was new to us. That also leads me to my little Public Service Announcement. I don't have any food reviews to include from our arrival night since we got in late and pretty much had to forage for food, but I'm including this PSA as a favor to all my DIS friends because I love you so much :love:

:crazy2: ATTENTION: DO NOT EAT AT THE BOARDWALK PIZZA WINDOW :sick:

If you really need an explanation (or just something cool to read) you can hop over to my Aug. TR for more details, but that's all I'll say here about our less than stellar arrival night food finds. Now, on to our first full day of eats and drinks!
Plaza Lunch

Aug. 6th was our first full day. I was hoping to make RD at MK and while that didn't happen, we did make it there a hair before 9:30. I failed to take pictures of our quick breakfast at the new Marketplace at the Yacht Club but it was your basic bagels and danish. However I do have this picture that was taken before our first ride of the trip:

rickyballoons.jpg

:rotfl2: :cool1: Yes that's my 15 year old, yes I posted it in my TR also, and no it isn't a food pic, but I love it so much I had to post it here, too. And yes he did willingly pose for this although he had no idea what it was going to turn out to be!
We spent a couple hours riding our favorite rides in Adventureland and Frontierland while trying not to melt; and finally it was time for our lunch!!

IMG_6466.JPG

We ate here in Nov. 2016 and thought it was pretty good but I was really looking forward to eating here this time because something had been added to the menu that I was extremely excited about. What I wasn't excited about is that I think the Plaza is the only restaurant in the MK now that still doesn't serve alcohol and I could've gone for a cold beer at that point. Maybe Crystal Palace too? In any case I had to go with my diet coke as did Steve.
A picture of the menu:

IMG_6467.JPG

Back to drinks. Ricky got one of their famous bottomless milkshakes, chocolate:

IMG_6469.JPG

He got this on our last visit and they always give you the cup with extra.
Chris on the other hand went with one of their floats, choosing mint chocolate chip ice cream (my favorite) and Sprite:

IMG_6468.JPG

They gave him the Sprite in a separate glass to pour in, and when he did it bubbled over which he thought was pretty cool. Both boys loved their ice cream drinks but still had lots of room for their food.
The restaurant was getting busier by the minute and by 11:30, every table was filled. It's a small place and I think combined with the heat, any tables not reserved were being filled.
For his meal Steve got the Cheese steak sandwich with a side of broccoli: shaved beef grilled with Onions, Mushrooms, Red Peppers, and White American Cheese served on a hoagie roll with your choice of Seasonal Vegetables, Homemade Chips, or French Fries

IMG_6470.JPG

Can you say MEAT?? This was piled high! There was cheese in there too, believe me. Steve loved this and the broccoli too, even though it was your basic steamed broccoli.

The boys each got the Angus Chuck Cheeeseburger with bacon and Chris promptly added pickles to his:

IMG_6472.JPG

Ricky's looked the same minus the pickles, plus lettuce and tomato. Both enjoyed the burgers and finished them. Ricky also finished his milkshake AND ordered another one, this time a mint chocolate chip shake so I knew he'd be sharing with me ;)

And know the reason we came; my meal, the Fried Green Tomato Sandwich! A Deep-fried Green Tomato served with Bacon, Arugula, Tomato, and Pepper Jack Cheese topped with Alabama White BBQ Sauce on a toasted Kaiser Roll, with choice of Seasonal Vegetables, Homemade Chips, or French Fries (I asked them to hold the arugula):

IMG_6471.JPG

IMG_6474.JPG

I was a tad nervous this wouldn't live up to the hype; I'd read a few really good reviews of the sandwich- @Jenny Sanders and @FSU Girl, and I think someone else, too-but it totally did. This was lunch perfection! The tomatoes were fried so nicely, not greasy at all, and had a great taste when you bit into them. The ratio of tomato to crispy coating was perfect too, you didn't end up with just a mouthful of coating. The white BBQ sauce, while not a ton, was the right amount and went well with the rest of the sandwich. Like the boys I finished it all. Good girl! And the chips :cloud9: I love Disney's "homemade chips", even if they aren't made in the Mouse's home..................

We will definitely return here, if not on an adults only trip we'll come with the kids because they were more than satisfied with their food. By the time Ricky's second huge shake came we were ready to go so we asked for it in a to-go cup and enjoyed it while we walked around and it was delish.

We spent more time in MK using up our FP's before going back to Yacht Club to try this whole "afternoon break" thing. It worked pretty well, and Chris, Steve and I enjoyed Stormalong Bay while Ricky worked his biceps in the gym and then chilled poolside. I didn't bring my phone down with me so I don't have pictures, but Steve and I sucked down a couple of these in between spending time with Chris in the pool:

Black Cherry Lemonade
Grey Goose Cherry Noir Vodka, Odwalla® Lemonade, fresh Lime Juice and Grenadine topped with Sprite®

We first tried this at Geyser Point back in March so we were happy to see it on Hurricane Hannah's menu. They go down so easily.............actually here's a picture from that trip:

IMG_5601.JPG

It's the pretty pink one on the right :D
We were able to spend about 90 minutes or so at the pool before we all had to go up to the room and get ready for dinner. Tonight was one of Chris's last minute picks; we'd be returning to both the boys' favorite signature.

Oh my gosh the Plaza looks so good. We have LTT ressie in a few days and this is tempting me to switch. We are not on the DDP the first two nights of our trip and I wanted to try something new.

I didn't even know you started this! Following along :wave2:
I know, I'm very bad at getting the word out! Glad you found me :hug:

Ricky got really tall! I remember that our son grew taller then me sometime between age 14 and 15. :)
He will love hearing that! He did get a bit taller over the summer but from a basketball POV, he still wants to grow quite a bit more lol.

Looove the title!!!
:thanks: Thinking up report titles is part of the fun!

Loving the title my boozey sister! :drinking1:drinking1:drinking1
:laughing: I knew you would :thumbsup2 I've been waiting for you!

Yay!! looking forward to your report!
Thank you and again, glad you're here :)

Wouldn't miss this one!
Whoo hi Tracy! You're back, it seems like you just left for your vacation :( I hope you had a great time!

OMG I hear ya! I'd wanted to get a little more adult beveraging in myself, but in the heat, I felt like water should be my go-to move :sad2: :laughing:
lol Right? The heat did me in more this year than previous Augusts. I was fine when I got inside, but walking around outside with an adult beverage didn't work as well for me as it usually does. I'm just going to have to make up for that on our Nov. trip :P

I'm here! I've been a terrible Dis-er lately, but even though I may get behind fairly often, I'm excited as always to follow along!!
No worries, I'm just glad you're here now Samantha! I can imagine how busy you are with school having started up and your floors being taken apart lol. I was crazy earlier in the summer and fell behind all over the DIS. Things have calmed down for now but as soon as school starts I'll be nuts again :crazy:

Yum! Plaza looks soooo good. I hadn't even heard of the fried green tomato sandwich...I may need to try it! Although I'm also a sucker for their burgers. But why, oh why, did they get rid of the thick cut steak fries??? Totally with you that an ice cold beer would be a great option there.

Your plaza meal looks great. We used to eat there every trip but got out of the habit when they changed the ADR rules, which I can't even keep up with anymore. Is it still just reservations from 11-12 and then walk-ups afterwards?

Will have to give it a try in November as I love me a fried green tomato!!! Strangely we just had some for dinner the other night because none of the tomatoes in our garden seem capable of ripening so we just ate em green :-) Odd they haven't added booze to the menu yet though. I figured it would be everywhere so they could bring in the dough. :drinking1

:crazy2: ATTENTION: DO NOT EAT AT THE BOARDWALK PIZZA WINDOW :sick:
Too Funny! It's too bad. I mean how hard is it really to make pizza?!?! Come on Disney?!?

What I wasn't excited about is that I think the Plaza is the only restaurant in the MK now that still doesn't serve alcohol and I could've gone for a cold beer at that point.
Wonder if that will change with the new Dinning Plan option next year. But I guess you can get a milkshake with the dinning plan, so maybe they figure that is good enough?!? Milkshakes are just so filling!

Black Cherry Lemonade
Grey Goose Cherry Noir Vodka, Odwalla® Lemonade, fresh Lime Juice and Grenadine topped with Sprite®

We first tried this at Geyser Point back in March so we were happy to see it on Hurricane Hannah's menu. They go down so easily.............actually here's a picture from that trip:

img_5601-jpg.264985
I can't wait to try one of those babies!!! I can't wait!

Your plaza meal looks great. We used to eat there every trip but got out of the habit when they changed the ADR rules, which I can't even keep up with anymore. Is it still just reservations from 11-12 and then walk-ups afterwards?
I think that is what it is these days... Wonder how easy or hard it is walking up.

I'm here I'm here! We are staying at WL for the first time in September so I can't wait to read all your reviews! I'm headed over to your TR shortly!

I love reading your reports... we just got back yesterday and I spent months reading your reports and Katsony's and a few others. I want desperately to do a report but my pictures cannot compare to all of yours. Basically I am saying you guys all rock and I love your reports!!! Thanks so much!!

Leaving lurkdom behind to actually participate. Loved your last report and can't wait to read this one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter