Young couple in Disney for first time - help!

staceysparkle

Earning My Ears
I have been to WDW six times before with my family, but this is my first time going with my boyfriend and as a couple. I'm looking for some advice from couples who have been before on things to do or places to go that you don't get the chance to do as a family? We will be aged 21 and 22 when we go, but arn't big on alcohol or partying. We are staying on site, and don't plan on leaving the Disney grounds, I want to keep things as simple as possible for the first trip where (for lack of better word) I'm in charge!

Thanks in advance! :thumbsup2

My wife and I did our first Disney trip together when we were 22 and 21 (only three years ago... weren't married then though!) What specifically are you guys looking for? Are you looking for food recommendations (we always plan one table service meal per day)? Are you looking for resort activities (where are you staying? When are you going?) I could give you more specific advice with a little more information

We generally pick out what parks we want to go to each day, make some dinner reservations (some places are more romantic then others...), hit up RD a few days. Generally we are just much more flexible and relaxed on our couples vacations.

What specifically are you guys looking for? Are you looking for food recommendations (we always plan one table service meal per day)? Are you looking for resort activities (where are you staying? When are you going?) I could give you more specific advice with a little more information

We generally pick out what parks we want to go to each day, make some dinner reservations (some places are more romantic then others...), hit up RD a few days. Generally we are just much more flexible and relaxed on our couples vacations.

Well we are on the QSDP, but I would like to book a couple of table service meals, as these are a bit more special. Anywhere nice and romantic you can recommend?

We are staying at POR for the duration of our visit. How far in advance do you recommend planning the holiday?

My fiancee and I just returned from a WDW trip a few weeks ago, our second is any many years. I'll throw out a few things we have a blast doing.

For our second year in a row, we had a date night at California Grill. It's two table service credits, but in our opinion, it's TOTALLY worth it. Great service, amazing food, delicious sushi, spectacular dessert, and a view that simply can't be beat. It's one of the high points of the vacation, in my opinion.

I know you said you weren't heavy drinkers, but something we've always had fun doing is "drinking around the world" in Epcot. We usually split a drink (or every other :thumbsup2) and we really make a fun day out of it. It's a fun way to let loose and really experience each country. We try to eat somewhere in Epcot too, and really take in the sights of the World Showcase.

It's always nice to relax together by the pool or hot tub, or simply walk around the resort. We stayed at the Riverside, Port Orleans, and the grounds are so relaxing and fun.

If I can think of more things, I'll throw them out there. Enjoy!!

Well we are on the QSDP, but I would like to book a couple of table service meals, as these are a bit more special. Anywhere nice and romantic you can recommend?

We are staying at POR for the duration of our visit. How far in advance do you recommend planning the holiday?

I would recommend planning as far in advance as you know you'll be able to travel. We generally plan 3-4 months in advance and do not have a problem getting what we want (would love to plan more in advance, but grad school schedules are not as fixed as we would like them!) We are going again in March and just made the decision to go last week and have gotten almost all the dining reservations we'd want.

I've never done the QSDP (have done regular DDP and TiW, we are big TS eaters on vacation). In terms of QS places that we enjoy, you can't go wrong in EPCOT. Great choices and variety around WS. For somewhere romantic for table service I would recommend eating outside of the parks (not saying there aren't romantic places in the parks; however, it can be very crowded). A late reservation at California Grill can be quiet and romantic and you can watch the fireworks (can be hard to get a reservation at CG sometimes though). A dinner at California Grill is becoming a must do for us on every vacation. We went to Artist's Point at the Wilderness Lodge over Christmas and had a great meal, was not very crowded at all and the food was great. If you're looking for a non-signature experience, I would recommend Sanaa at AKL if you enjoy that kind of food, great view of the animals and a great atmosphere. The Coral Reef at EPCOT is a one of a kind experience, but it can get VERY busy sometimes and the food is good, but not the best on property. There are also various lounges (bars) at the various resorts that we've never really checked out, but they have a more adult feel and most have menus you can order from as well.

I don't know much about POR, having never stayed there, but I'm sure you could hang out and go for a walk around the hotel, sit by the pool, have dinner at the resort that would be quiet and romantic as well.

I know you said you weren't drinkers, so I won't mention drinking around the world; however, you guys could EAT around the world and pick up some quick service at each of the countries. I've done that once (my inlaws paid!) and it was a blast, you get to try a lot of food that you would probably never eat otherwise!

Its great going to Disney as a couple! You can't go wrong with your choices as long as you enjoy them!

I highly suggest you make reservations in advance. Me and gf went last year for our first vacation together ( LOVED IT ) we where warned by a friend to make reservations but didn't believe them. we got shut out everywhere it was very disappointing. we are going back in may and hopefully we can eat at some of the better Disney park restaurants !

Also had a a good time at downtown Disney, good food , great atmosphere and a lot of things to do . And we don't drink as well and had a blast ! wish we had found this board last year ! but good luck and have a blast !

Amazing advice everyone, thank you so much! I will deffo be making a couple of TS reservations, anything else I need to do for my first visit as a couple and not as a family member?:wizard:

- POR has a nice romantic carriage ride.
- There are some nice dinner shows people rave about such as the luau at the Polynesian Resort or the Hoop De Doo Review.
- In Epcot two nice romantic restaurants are Le Cellier in the Canada pavilion and Bistro de Paris or Les Chef de France in the France pavilion.
- Play one of the mini-putt courses it's always a nice way to spend time together that does not involve standing in line.
- Take one of the tours together. DH and I did the Keys to the Kingdom tour on our honeymoon.

The atmosphere at Flying Fish is more romantic than most Disney restaurants. The lights are a bit lower and the acoustics make for quieter dining. Also, when we were there a couple weeks ago they were offering a very reasonable surf & turf prix fix dinner that samples their amazing potato stuffed snapper and NY strip steak. Excellent! Oh, and I understand you are not big drinkers but the bar there is very nice and comfortable to eat at. And, it's kid-free if you are looking for a more "adult" experience. Have a GREAT trip!

Something else you might want to consider, is how big of a Disney fan is your Boyfriend? Is he as crazy about Disney as you are? or is he just crazy about spending some special time with you?

The reason I ask is because there are also some other nice activities outside the parks within the Disney resort that might interest him, or both of you, which aren't traditionally thought of when you think about Disney, but which could be fun and possibly even help him fall in love with the place ensuring many future trips to come. ;)

There are several golf courses on property. horseback trail rides. Fishing. parasailing and jet Skis, etc.

There is also the Spas onsite, so if there is something which sounds interesting to him but not so much for you, There is no reason you couldn't plan to pamper yourself at the Spa while he's off doing his "guy stuff". :rotfl:

2010 Bride - I really like the look of the segway tour at epcot, i might just do it!

jlynnACK - i hadn't even heard of the flying fish before, it looks amazing!

DC TooTall - I am deffo the only disney mad one out of the two of us, he is exited to go but he has no idea what a great time he is in for! I didn't realise there was so many additional things on site to do. he enjoys golf, i could look into that a bit more. and if i can have some spa time, win-win!

Theres so much to concider to plan this holiday. I'm going to get a notepad and start writing everything down and planning it to make sure we can make the most of it.

thanks again for all the advice everyone, i so appriciate it :flower3:

My Husband and I really like swimming in the shark tank at Typhoon Lagoon--- we hold hands as we snorkel across. Not 'traditional', but still really, really cool :)

My husband and I have been there several times without the kids and I would recommend California Grill (Contemporary) for dinner and to watch the fireworks around 9:00ish. Beautiful! A little expensive, but romantic too!

Tons of great advice already.... My only recommendation is to start making those ADR's asap.

The nicer more romantic things will need a ressie. So make sure you get those.

Have fun! It will be wonderful!

My wife and I have done two WDW trips together and are going to be doing a 3rd in May. Some of our favorite things to do:

Use PhotoPass a lot. It's great to get pictures of the two of you together in fun locations. One of our favorites was to go to the Rose Garden during Wishes. The PhotoPass photographer stays there during the fireworks, so you can get some great pictures with the castle and the fireworks in the background.

Agree about California Grill. That was one of our favorite restaurants, and if you can time it to have the fireworks while you're there, it's very romantic. Other restaurants whose ambience we've enjoyed together include a seat by the tank at Coral Reef, a car together at Sci-Fi Dine In.

We're staying at POR on our trip in May and are already excited to try the carriage rides.

i deffo plan on getting plenty photo pass pics, especially since its just the two of us. iv got my holiday notepad out and am writing down just about everything that comes to mind! may can't come quick enough! :yay:

My fiance and I are going on our honeymoon in September. Even though we haven't gone yet, I will tell you some things we plan on doing together.

-Segway tour of epcot. Fiance is super excited about this, as am I. it will just be a little extra bonus for us to spend time together, and experience something we never could at home!
-We have scheduled a dinner at Universal Studios for later, once the parks close. Maybe just pick a special restaurant that you will enjoy together, a date night if you may
-pool/hot tub! We are staying at Coronado Springs, which each section has a "quiet pool." We will be able to enjoy that, along with the hot tub. The grounds at CSR give the great opportunity to walk around and enjoy time, just the two of us.
-Early morning breakfast. This may sound dorky, but with our schedules, we work nights. We don't ever wake up together and have time to enjoy a breakfast. We have an ADR for Boma.

Truthfully, I think anything you will do together is going to be great. It is time away from work, stress, bills, family, ect. Just the two of you, enjoying time together.

My boyfriend and I travel from MA every year to go to disney, and we were 22 our first time too!
Even though you are not big drinkers, I suggest having a night out at JellyRolls on the Boardwalk- the entertainment is fantastic and you can have a lot of fun just strolling around.
Also- take advantage of Single Rider lines! At Test Track, we use this line and always end up in the same car, just usually sitting in front of one another instead of next to one another.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter