10/1/21 (Planning thread for those w/ Magic Kingdom ressies on the BIG 50th)!

I am wondering about strategy and planning for this day also… I guarantee Disney has gotten really good at controlling crowds .
It won’t be fun unless you are prepared. I consider myself familiar with crowds but they were really strict last NYE just staying at BLT .
Very strict but I felt safe . You aren’t going to outsmart Disney.
Good luck to all that arrive at this happy place on a very happy day.
Happy Anniversary Walt Disney World !

We've been planning for this day for over 15 years! We were in Disneyland on 7/17/05 and there was no way I was going to miss WDW's big day. Hoping park reservations make things slightly less anxiety-ridden than Disneyland was, but really looking forward to it. Even if it means most of the day is waiting in a crowd for "something", be it a dedication moment or the debut of the fireworks. We did get some special "I was there" stuff (the gold ears, special park maps, cupcakes) and definitely picked up merch in Disneyland, so really it's all about just having the patience to enjoy the day...even if you're not "doing" anything much!

I wouldn’t be surprised if people camp out, if Disney allows that. I also want to get there early. Anyone know what time security gets there? I almost wish they would do a random arrival time lottery for everyone with park reservations for crowd control. Almost. I’m hoping the park reservation system will help.

I’ll be there on October 1st and cannot wait!! I bought tickets, made our park reservation for the MK and booked the Caribbean Beach as soon as they were released. We have no idea what to expect but plan to be at the MK for the day. Hoping to get some good merchandise.

My Mom and I will be there! Staying at AKV-Kidani. This has been in the plans for a couple years. We normally go in September and I just knew I had to delay a couple weeks later than normal so we could be there for the anniversary. Very excited and plan to go with the flow.

PS - we will also be at Disneyland on 7/17 for its 66th anniversary (have been to all since moving to CA in late 2005).

Some new info released today regarding the 50th anniversary:
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...l-during-walt-disney-worlds-50th-anniversary/

We’re staying at WL and hoping the boat transportation will start very early lol. It can be slow but it’s one of my favorite ways to get to MK! For those of you that have experienced anniversaries at DL or WDW, are special events, speeches, merch, etc. usually announced in advance?

Last edited:
I made my reservation just when it opened many months ago :).. It was a solo plan because my family party is not fan of crowds... but now.. they couldn't help joining after all my planning around LOL...

So hopefully park reservations open up for them!

I wonder if it will be possible to take a mid day break and get back in.

I think that with our reservation, it would probably be a sure thing we would be allowed back in. The only thing would be navigating potential crowds to get back in. I think July 4th and how they handle crowds is going to be a good marker for how they potentially handle 10/1 with the park reservation system.

Right now we have reservations at BWI CL and GF garden view. I really want CL, and we are doing Epcot and DHS our other 2 days, so we would be able to walk to those parks. But I'm worried about getting to the MK that morning. Where would you stay, GF to be able to walk to the MK that AM, or BWI CL with the ability to walk to the other two parks on our other days? I'm so torn.

You can always uber in if you want to arrive before MK busses start. I suggest staying where you most want to stay. I'd make that the priority.

What time do you think people will start arriving at MK on the 1st?

I can't really guess because having a park reservation at least guarantees you will get it. People have lined up in the past for big ticket days super early because they've hoped they'd be able to get in. But I am sure, this still won't stop people from getting out there early. Just maybe not nearly as many? I suspect we might get a clearer sense as it draws closer.

I made my reservation just when it opened many months ago :).. It was a solo plan because my family party is not fan of crowds... but now.. they couldn't help joining after all my planning around LOL...

So hopefully park reservations open up for them!

Definitely keep having them check. From posts on the Dis and other places, I've read that people seem to have good luck checking late at night (like close to midnight). Do a search for some threads related to this topic as there might be other tips, too. The trick is to keep checking. People will cancel plans as it gets closer, and that will free up more space, and/or Disney might increase park capacity that day.

In my first post, I mentioned going for a ‘71 look. I got me some vintage WDW ears! I grew up in L. A. so DL was my home park. My first sets of Disneyland ears had this “ear” look, so I feel like a kid again. Now to ‘71-ize the rest of me.

Anyone else planning their 10/1 look, or am I the only crazy one?

Normally, I avoid WDW crowds like the plague, but DH really wanted to do the 50th, so....I geuss we're doing it. Thus far, my only plans for 10/1 are: 1) having Magic Kingdom reservations (which I secured last October), and 2) eating at Skipper Canteen (because we don't like any other MK sit down locations).

View attachment 585992
In my first post, I mentioned going for a ‘71 look. I got me some vintage WDW ears! I grew up in L. A. so DL was my home park. My first sets of Disneyland ears had this “ear” look, so I feel like a kid again. Now to ‘71-ize the rest of me.

Anyone else planning their 10/1 look, or am I the only crazy one?

I have started to think about what to wear 10/1. I want to get tank tops made for the 50th, but all I am finding are t-shirts and it is just too hot still that time of year. I will find something between now and then I am sure.

Normally, I avoid WDW crowds like the plague, but DH really wanted to do the 50th, so....I geuss we're doing it. Thus far, my only plans for 10/1 are: 1) having Magic Kingdom reservations (which I secured last October), and 2) eating at Skipper Canteen (because we don't like any other MK sit down locations).

I usually don't seek huge crowds either (for instance the idea of Times Sq. on NYE wouldn't appeal to me), but the love of the Parks and its history make me overlook it! I have been to DHS on the 20th/25th, but the crowds were pretty much nothing in comparison to what I imagine we will see. I love SC! Hope you get that ADR!

I have started to think about what to wear 10/1. I want to get tank tops made for the 50th, but all I am finding are t-shirts and it is just too hot still that time of year. I will find something between now and then I am sure.

What are you going to put on the shirts?

I think that's great news that we'll get in 30m earlier into MK if we're at a Disney resort on the 1st.
We've got our park reservations and are staying at the Ft. Wilderness Cabins. We paid out for the golf cart to avoid the bus lines and I have some wishful thoughts about taking the boat to the Contemporary and walking over if the Ft Wilderness Launch is too packed.
Honestly, we've been to the parks so much, that I plan to entirely focus on Anniversary content. We'll be back in the park for normal things on Wed, the 1st is just for the anniversary. If they offer any kinda desert party or upcharge better view for the fireworks - I'm in. We've done Christmas multiple times and Spring break, so not going to be surprised at the crowds. Will probalby do an ADR somewhere - preferably The Plaza to guarantee a seat and access to food vs the madhouse of quick serve. Will pack snacks/refillable water bottles and even sandwiches to do a long camp out for calvacades/shows etc.

I'm going solo and am staying at BCV for a week with 10/1 in the middle more or less. I'm not usually a morning person but I'll definitely rope drop MK on 10/1 with the masses to see whatever festivities may take place. I'm hoping for an earlier Ratatouille soft opening but if not I'll hit that on 10/2.

Beyond that, I haven't given it a lot of thought to be honest. I just wanted to be there because there's only ever going to be one chance to do so. I'll certainly be following this thread for ideas, though!

I’m trying to think the best dining reservations for the family… hopefully Space220, Ohana (with characters), Cinderella (with princesses)…

also thinking on the matching shirts,maybe Shopdisney will put something out :)

I'm thinking classic Disney day with CRT for dinner. Also want a sit down for lunch but cant decide on which one- Skipper Canteen, LTT or Plaza

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter