13.1 You Wish Upon A Star...a Tink Race and Mother's Day Trip Report! (complete)

YAY!! Off to the races!! Next time I promise to be loud and obnoxious and yell.

I was curiously calm leading up to these races, but boy do I know that nervous anxiety feeling before a race. Your outfit is so adorable and I love the wings. I also took a picture of that A balloon. Figured it was the closest I'd ever get to being in an A corral.

Can't wait to read about the race.

Yay! More Trip Report!

I wasn't sure about whether I should wear the wings or not even up to this point, but they were looking pretty cute.

A+ choice to wear them... they're super cute!

So thanks all you chatty bathroom fairies for having a good 'ol time in there with us!

I'm not entirely sure why, but the idea of chatty bathroom fairies is hilarious to me. :rotfl2:

My legs were HEAVY and TIRED and I kinda needed this little jog.

Good for the nerves, I'm sure! So excited for the next update!

Just a quick little update before I put in my part 2...

My Dad just texted us that mom is starting up her new round of chemo post trip and some of her numbers are better than when she left. So maybe Disney is really magic?? Or it was the Mickey waffles. :)
pixiedust::jumping1:pixiedust:

I instagrammed this not so great pic in the hopes one of my B-friends would see it and it WORKED. Hook, Line & an @Ariel484 commenting that she was gonna find me. Seconds later and there she was. I KNOW HER!
View attachment 238902

:teeth: Hooray!! I'm thinking we both look pretty good for a picture that is a.) a selfie and b.) taken at like 5AM or whatever!
You can tell in this pic the sun was already coming up. Ariel had a very cute "throwaway" sweatshirt and if I was a size smaller and wasn't going to run a half marathon I would have stolen it back off the railing she left it on. @ZellyB & @Chris-Mo were apparently not too far behind us in the corral and next time please yell at us loudly and obnoxiously :)
The throwaway was supposed to be something like a checklist of major marathons (with only "Cleveland" checked off - like, I COULD run LA or New York, but I chose Cleveland!). So if you'd grabbed it I think you would have been obligated to check all of those off!

And yes, obnoxious yelling would have been welcomed!!!
But it was really helpful to have a familiar person with me...a good distraction and fun to just comment on everything going on out loud instead of inside my head.
Agreed!! So much better than waiting solo! :yay:

I shouted some sort of HAVE FUN or THIS IS IT or something to Ariel (who told me her plan was to be speedy to get to the characters and then see how it goes after) and my plan was to no be too speedy at first...just enough to get to the characters without demolishing my chances at not dieing later on out of the roads. I was to let all the insanely fast people including the 2:05 pacer just go on their merry way.
I don't remember what we said, I just remember you flying away super quickly!!! I do remember being surprised at how quickly they started us after Corral A. And I also remember seeing the 2:05 pacer and being like "LOL yeah right..."

My Dad just texted us that mom is starting up her new round of chemo post trip and some of her numbers are better than when she left. So maybe Disney is really magic?? Or it was the Mickey waffles. :)
YAY!! Awesome news! :wizard:

Tinkerbell Half Marathon Race Recap Part 2:

Running through Disneyland!
So here is a map of where we would all be running today.
tink-map-2017.jpg

Now I'm not super familiar with Disneyland parks or the surrounding area. Day 1 & 2 of park going for sure helped me get the lay of the land...kind of. But really at this point I had a few mile markers in mind where I kind of knew where'd I'd be, but really I was "flying" pretty blind for this race. So it really was an "adventure."

The beginning had us going up Disneyland drive and backstage until we got to an opening at the back of Toon Town. There were a lot of people passing me at this point. Looking back at my Garmin data i was in the high 9's getting up to 10:07 at some points. I think I had the biggest grin on my face from the moment we entered Toon Town (we never did explore this land on our trip; another reason noted to come back) all the way until we left the parks. I felt like a big kid running around in such a happy place. The weather was perfect btw at this point...maybe a tad humid...but all things considered pretty comfortable.

And then I saw the first line of people on my right just after leaving Toon Town and I checked in with myself if I wanted to stop and was like "YES STOP THIS IS WHY YOU ARE HERE!"
I took a pic of all the runners passing me by and tried not to let the anxiety of this huge crowd getting out in front of me get me down.
tr1.jpg
Can you just see every one of them looking over at us, trying to determine if they want to stop or not? Hey, I just noticed some people I would see later in my pics so that just shows it is ok I stopped...or actually that they just also stopped later on...whatevs.

And then when I was having my teeny bit of "ahhh, all those people are going past" moment I saw these lovely creatures run up into line. It went something like this
"AHH ARIEL!"
"AHH ZELLY & CHRIS!"
And I forget who had the brilliant idea for a group pic, but thank you @Chris-Mo for being our photographer. This pic is now famous on at least three whole trip reports.
tr2.jpg
We all are very color-coordinated. And I see now you all were smart enough to remember your sunglasses. At this point I should have just ran with you all through the next few pics stops but I was thinking with my "half-brain"
And then I got my first ever half-marathon character stop!
tr3.jpg
I didn't mean to leave Iridessa out, but my outfit totally was a good mash-up of Silvermist and Rosetta. I said something dorky to Silvermist like "Hey, I'm you today" and Rosetta started talking about how I had "water virtues" or something. I guess they don't know that I still need to learn how to swim (but that'll be for a report later this summer.)

And then I was off. I can clearly see by all my garmin data that I ran really way to fast after every single stop, so they were maybe like little warpspeed launchpads for me. But then I'd settle back down again. We headed past some rides that were on. All my pic while running attempts were blurry so I started actually trying to stop or slow way down and this one came out alright.
tr4.jpg
My Dumbo pic is super drunk so I won't even post it here. My first mile was 13:40 even though I missed the mile marker completely. I was busy taking a video while running up around the carousel and then turned it off so that I could fully be immersed and enjoy my big moment.
I got so choked up guys! I felt like the weight of the world had lifted and I was just a little kid flying down the castle ramp. I quick had to remember to make eye contact with the photo guys and set my arms out like an airplane/princess? Eh, it worked :)
tr5.jpg
And the straight on view...
6.jpg
These were pretty much the main reason I just had to buy photopass for the day. And then I made a bee-line off course to the base of the castle to get a pic posed in front of it. It seemed this would be a selfie situation and runners were taking each other's pics but no one had lined up behind me and I started panicking a little that there'd be no one to take my pic. When I saw a beautiful blue fairy running up...it was Ariel again!!! We really should have ran that first mile together, right? A group of gals lined up between her and I so I luckily did have someone to take my pic afterall. YAY!
tr7.jpg
I kinda match the castle, which is what I was kinda going for. If you ware wondering why my glasses are in my hand it is because in that moment they slipped down my nose and fogged from my breath and so I just grabbed them and went with it. One day I'll switch to contacts...or not.

I paused to take the other girls pic but her friend was already on it and Ariel yelled "yay roxy castle pic you got it" or something else that made me freaking excited and off I flew again back onto course and around the hub down main street. I knew my sis would be looking for me as she'd be somewhere down near the flagpole area but I got side tracked by two cute chipmunks dressed as pirates and so I stopped again. I could see Bean at the very top point of the flagpole hub with her phone up looking for me and I started yelling "BEAN" and darting out of line to wave furiously and back in so I didn't lose my spot. She finally saw me right as I also saw Ariel pulling up into line again too.
Seriously, have I mentioned we should have just ran mile 1 together yet?
I had to stop for these guys because in my first WDW 5k, they were the first stop and I was so nervous about finishing that I passed them and regretted it to this day.
tr8.jpg
I love them! You can kind of see that at this point my wings were getting a tad wonky. They had been slightly hitting my ears so I kind of bent them back a bit. Sometimes comfort wins over style. But once I did that they were not a bother at all.

And then I got to run down main street again (I think Ariel bailed on the chipmunk line per her trip report...which everyone go read that now...she's got good pics over there!)
I was so excited to see my sister and I caught that there was a photopass guy nearby so out went my fairy arms again. The smile I can tell you was genuine and not the forced smile I often plaster on during difficult races (this one was the opposite of difficult at this point.)
tr9.jpg
That lady behind me cracks me up! I kind of want to go onto her photopass page for her bib # to see if the jump shot she's clearly going for worked out :) I can also tell you that Pan guy in the background got some major flack from the pirates in DCA as I was around that guy off an on for several miles.

Ok so that gets me not even to mile 2!! A lot of stuff happened in the first 4 miles guys. Gotta start a new page....

You look so freaking happy and excited it's making me all happy and excited again!! Honestly, your joy and excitement is just shining through those shots. I'm so glad that we got to see you some and I adore the shot of the three of us in line. You just look like you are floating on that castle pic and running down Main Street. Can't wait to read more!

We probably should have run that first mile together, yes! ::yes::

Your PhotoPass pics are AWESOME!! I'm so glad you bought them!

And I was so happy to see you getting that castle pic, I was concerned you were going to pass it by! :worship:

You look so freaking happy and excited it's making me all happy and excited again!! Honestly, your joy and excitement is just shining through those shots. I'm so glad that we got to see you some and I adore the shot of the three of us in line. You just look like you are floating on that castle pic and running down Main Street. Can't wait to read more!

I was SO FREAKING HAPPY. I don't know why it felt different...I had been in the park literally the day before but it just felt so surreal and amazing. Really took me back to the 5k I did around the Epcot World showcase...but like somehow upped a few notches. I'm sorta kinda thankful that the castle and main street were so early in the race because it just started everything out on a really good note.

We probably should have run that first mile together, yes! ::yes::

Your PhotoPass pics are AWESOME!! I'm so glad you bought them!

And I was so happy to see you getting that castle pic, I was concerned you were going to pass it by! :worship:

I guess we'll just have to plan for another race someday who knows when :) I honestly was just flying around on pixie dust those first few miles...I could have used some company out there later.

There was no way I was missing any and all castle pic opportunities!! I had "studied" the 10k pics of random instagram strangers from the day before :) Which is why I purposely hung left down the castle ramp.

I love your detailed race start & how you are so happy, and awesome pictures, you "flying"out of the castle is a magical shot!

data that I ran really way to fast after every single stop, so they were maybe like little warpspeed launchpads for me. But then I'd settle back down again.
Yeah, I totally get what you are saying, I do that too, I guess to make up some time from standing in line. Warpeed launchpads is a perfect description!

Woohoo! LOVING this race report so far! Your description of race anxiety literally made my palms sweaty- I can so relate!
And I sure do love that group pic of you, @Ariel484 and @ZellyB All three of you look great!!

And your castle photos!!! OMG! you look like a beautiful, joyful fairy!! I need to remember that awesome pose you have going on, because it is everything!

And super great news about your Mom! :D

I love your detailed race start & how you are so happy, and awesome pictures, you "flying"out of the castle is a magical shot!

Yeah, I totally get what you are saying, I do that too, I guess to make up some time from standing in line. Warpeed launchpads is a perfect description!

Thanks! Luckily I checked my warpspeed before I wrecked myself!

The Bathrooms in Downtown Disney had a magical layer of glitter on the toilets and floors already before 5am! Bathroom fairies!

Haha, I forgot about that. I was guilty of dumping wing glitter on anything I came into contact with too. My poor suitcase is currently still kind of a glitter bomb.

Woohoo! LOVING this race report so far! Your description of race anxiety literally made my palms sweaty- I can so relate!
And I sure do love that group pic of you, @Ariel484 and @ZellyB All three of you look great!!

And your castle photos!!! OMG! you look like a beautiful, joyful fairy!! I need to remember that awesome pose you have going on, because it is everything!

And super great news about your Mom! :D

Thank you!! I will say that I don't run that way the whole time...only when photographers are around. My normal stride is much more shuffly and with less fairy arms. I've got picture proof of that too, but they aren't as cute.

Tinkerbell Half Marathon Part 3:

The DCA and backstage miles

So I left off not even yet to mile marker 2 which was down across the esplanade (thank you to all those people along that barricades cheering for us even though we all weren't your family specifically!) I could see how this little area could get congested but glad it wasn't too bad when I went through. It was like a runner chute between a long line of metal gates all the way from Disneyland over to DCA. We ran through the really pretty redwood trails type area. Peter Pan runner got chased down by a few pirates over here. I didn't stop for any pirate actor selfies during the race.
Oh I forgot...real Peter and Wendy were waving to us from above the exit out of DL though I didn't stop to take a pic. There was something about the way Peter yelled Faaaiiiiirriiiiiies while clapping his hands together and like hop skipping that cracks me up still.

Ok so back to DCA. We somehow came upon the entrance to Paradise Pier. Don't ask me how...I was just following everyone else :) Getting a pic with Mickey's Wheel of Death in the background was on my race bucket list and there was no photopass people BUT there was a nice cast member already taking a line of people's pics with their own phones. So off course I ran again.
tr1.jpg
Yay! I went hands on hips from here on out apparently instead of fairy flying arms. I didn't even notice world of color fountains were on until I saw this pic after the race. Bet that looked lovely at night. Another reason to go back?
We ran past mile 2 at some point here and I clocked a blistering 14:22. I mean that's not too bad considering all my stopping, right? So far I hadn't hit any of those rumored 20 min character lines...yet.
It appears via garmin reflection (whenever I mention this from here on out...it's me literally pouring over my garmin data now in hindsight and not during the race...I'm not too much of a watch watcher while running) that my moving speed was still a tad conservative but still quite good.

The first water stop was around here and I walked it and drank the full cup. From here on out I walked every single water stop and at most grabbed both powerade (blue) and water...so double fisting. And I'd have just a litter powerade (it makes me phlegmy) but all the water in the cup. I hadn't drank enough water in the morning (well, as much as I wanted to) from nerves and I was determined not to get a migraine again today...spoiler alert...I didn't :)
This particular race was quite out of the normal race routine for me. I'm not much a of a bathroom stopper or an aid station stopper or a fuel carrier or even a picture taker. But today I was.

Then goosebumps alert....my very first time seeing Cars Land was now during this race. I hadn't seen it in person and boy was it a sight to behold. I think this picture shows how gleeful it made me.
tr4.jpg
Ok, return of airplane arms afterall!
This pic is also a good "warped wings" vs "nice wings" comparison with the purple fairy next to me. I think my squishing them kind of turned them a little more dragonfly than butterfly.

I passed one of the a pace group around here (there were like three different 2:30 pacers so I don't know which one this was or even 100% if it was 2:30) and that was kind of a congested group but then I saw people posing with the Cars characters and I stopped.
tr2.jpg
I actually think the original Cars movie has a lot of charm. It does get pretty boring in parts, but I'm not a huge fan of cars in particular. But I'm stealing this line from someone else...after being Cars Land I want to watch the movie again!

I will say that I did pass up Pluto at the Pier because the lines were now getting kind of crazy and I did pass up Hook and Smee for the same reason. In hindsight I'm happy with the pics I did get and happy with my final time so I think I made the right call.

After see Hook, I must have either gotten enough ahead of that pace group or there was another one behind it because I got lumped in with one again and tried my best to pass them but we kind of yo-yo'd for a tiny bit. But I got this happy little pic coming out of Bugs Land.
tr3.jpg
I really like the group of costumes on the gals behind me. Feels like you'd know this was a Disney race immediately looking at it.

I did get mushed in with the pace group up the esplanade back to Disneyland and broke past them right after the entrance. I saw people taking fun pics in front of the train station Mickey flowers but I just wanted to be ahead of that pace group so badly and I knew my sis was right up ahead so I kept on trucking.
And my mile 3 time was 11:23. So getting a little back to normal now. My 5k split was just about my worst for a running race. 41 and change. My personal worst 5k time was a untimed walk at 42:00 years ago. I guess that reflects my success in allowing myself to have some fun on course before bearing down on the rest of the race.

Beanie found me and I found her at the same time and she got video of me heading past the flagpole hub again on the way backstage. We then went into tomorrowland and past the Matterhorn where I saw the insane Tinkerbell line near Pixie Hallow. I had already mentally decided I wanted a pic of her and I with my medal later that day and so I just kind sighed and mentally waved to her and made it my mission to find her again. Mile 4 had the only elevation really...big ol down and up ramp that was a piece of cake (I LOVE YOU FLAT COURSE!) and I clocked in at 10:28. So I will post more later tonight all about the off property miles. There will be nary a pic but lots of memories. So stay tuned :)

Great news! The power of positive thinking and Pixie Dust!
I was also in B and running by myself - wish I would have found you guys too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter