2 Inside Rooms or 1 Oceanview

ms.daisy

Earning My Ears
My husband & I want to take my MIL on an Alaskan Cruise next year.

We would like to treat her & right now are deciding between an Oceanview Room for the 3 of us on deck 2 (about $5,700) or two inside staterooms on an upper deck, I think it was 5, 6, 7 that all had similar prices (total for two rooms about $6,900).

We all have no problem sharing a room together, but of course I know that separate rooms would be more comfortable. I’m having a hard time justifying the additional price to book an extra room for 1 person. Especially when we can use the difference towards excursions.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Only my view - I wouldn't share a room with my MIL because we'd be sleeping on the single beds while she was in the double and I'd be changing when she wasn't around/in the bathroom. I would share a room with my mom, but my husband wouldn't.

Maybe I could do it on a 4 day cruise, but not 7. That being said, that amount of money would get you a few nice excursions.

We (DS and I) almost did a room (5 night Fantasy) with my dad and his SO, but that was in 2020 (covid cancelled). Now that DS is 8, I couldn't picture all of us jammed in one room (now on a 7 night), so we figured out a way to do 2.

On our first cruise (a 3 day on the Magic) the cost for the 3rd/4th person in an inside deck 1 stateroom was only $42 more than the 1st/2nd person charge, so for $84 more than 4 of us in a 10C we got connecting 10C's. The extra space was awesome. Unfortunately, your price difference is more.

First thought for me is that I'd rather spend the extra money than share a cabin with my MIL for that long of a cruise. But if you don't mind being crammed in close proximity for a week, then it is a lot of money to save. Biggest issue is if you all agree on what sleeping time is, or if one of you is a night owl and the other believes you are burning daylight if you are in bed after 6am.

One thing to consider: If you were to have 2 people in one room and 1 person in the other room, the only cost difference between 1 and 2 people in the second room would be the minor amount of port taxes. (There is no single supplement; you have to always pay for 2 people in a room.) If you were paying for the 2nd room anyway, is there another relative/friend of your MIL who would be interested in coming along if they only had to buy their plane ticket to get to the port?

I would opt for two rooms. Having the extra space and an extra bathroom will make your vacation a lot more comfortable, IMHO.

I would go for the two inside rooms. Others have hit these notes, but I think my biggest issues would be just general discomfort sharing a room with my MIL all week (no privacy), and sharing one small bathroom between three adults.

Just as a recommendation, if you go that route, check out the sideways oriented inside rooms. We stayed deck 5 forward last month (room 5513), and I was surprised how spacious it felt. If I sail an inside stateroom again, it will definitely be one of those.

I would go for the two inside rooms. Others have hit these notes, but I think my biggest issues would be just general discomfort sharing a room with my MIL all week (no privacy), and sharing one small bathroom between three adults.

Just as a recommendation, if you go that route, check out the sideways oriented inside rooms. We stayed deck 5 forward last month (room 5513), and I was surprised how spacious it felt. If I sail an inside stateroom again, it will definitely be one of those.
Thanks for the tip, I will look into that room type!

Thanks for the tip, I will look into that room type!
On our first cruise (a 3 day on the Magic) the cost for the 3rd/4th person in an inside deck 1 stateroom was only $42 more than the 1st/2nd person charge, so for $84 more than 4 of us in a 10C we got connecting 10C's. The extra space was awesome. Unfortunately, your price difference is more.

First thought for me is that I'd rather spend the extra money than share a cabin with my MIL for that long of a cruise. But if you don't mind being crammed in close proximity for a week, then it is a lot of money to save. Biggest issue is if you all agree on what sleeping time is, or if one of you is a night owl and the other believes you are burning daylight if you are in bed after 6am.

One thing to consider: If you were to have 2 people in one room and 1 person in the other room, the only cost difference between 1 and 2 people in the second room would be the minor amount of port taxes. (There is no single supplement; you have to always pay for 2 people in a room.) If you were paying for the 2nd room anyway, is there another relative/friend of your MIL who would be interested in coming along if they only had to buy their plane ticket to get to the port?
Thank you, that is something to consider! Maybe her own mother if we could convince her to make that journey!

Another vote for the two rooms. I can share with my parents on a 4 night but nothing longer than that. Two bathrooms is going to be a plus when trying to get ready for the long Alaska port days.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter