20 Days in Hawaii and Disneyland - Yes, we are Lucky Nuts (Updated 9/19)

I've lurked on your TRs long enough, time to say "hi"!! That video was incredible, especially since it was at night! Unlike the rest of my family, I'm a big chicken when it comes water. I can't see myself ever doing that - we swam with manatees in Mexico and I had to psych myself up for that!

We were at Aulani in December, though no island hopping for us. We also had "ocean view."

My daughter is going to be a senior in the fall; where is your daughter going to school?

Looking forward to reading your report!

About time you got out of lurk mode. Just kidding. Welcome. The more the merrier.

You can snorkel to view the Mantas. The boat puts out a floatation hoop the snorkelers hold on to. They will even give you a vest if you want one. Mantas are as harmless as the manatees. They eat krill, plankton and other small organisms. No barbs on their tail. If you ever get the chance, psych yourself up for it.

My kid and my money are going to Seton Hall in NJ. Good luck with the college search for your DD.

Yay! A nuts title and a prologue! It's officially started! I would have liked to see the scrambling and stuff, I end up doing that EVERY trip!

Do you own at Aulani and VGC?

Oops. Edited the TR to read I reserved at 7 months, not 11. I only own at Boardwalk. Scrambling was not a pretty sight. Especially when I was busting DD's chops for a couple of days before the trip to get packed. The minute I stepped into the van on the way to the airport, she said, "You can never harp on me about getting ready for a trip again." Smart a$$ kid.

Now why did I have to read about the alarm clock problem? I have nightmares regularly about this very thing happening.
Sounds like another fab trip report. Keep it coming!

Don't worry. The alarm was on my phone and I set it for 3:00. That was PM, not AM. I think only I could do that.

Then it was over to my bag and the clean clothes to start throwing stuff into the suitcase. What was in there? I’ll find out later.
Let's see, what should I wear today? I've got a tuxedo shirt, what appear to be sweatpants and 3 left flip flops....

Can't wait to read more!

The alarm was on my phone and I set it for 3:00. That was PM, not AM. I think only I could do that.

Here I thought I had the sole claim to that crown :laughing:

Did that a couple of trips ago and found myself bolting for the airport in Philadelphia...don't even want to disclose how fast I was propelling the car down the Northeast extension of the turnpike :blush:

Love the intro. Sounds like a very stressful morning! I hope the missing cell wasn't a problem. I find I'm semi relieved when I'm on vacation places it doesn't work.

The manta video was amazing. I can't imagine how surreal it must have been.

Oh God....not the cell phone?! I think I would have been rocking in a corner! LOL

Did not care one bit. If anyone needed me, they were out of luck. The kid on the other hand would have committed Hara-Kari if she was without hers. She was even upset because I didn't have mine. "What do we do if we need to meet up with each other?" Like without a phone we would be unable to find each other and doomed to wander around Hawaii forever.

Let's see, what should I wear today? I've got a tuxedo shirt, what appear to be sweatpants and 3 left flip flops....

Can't wait to read more!

I did pack one black and one white sock and somehow my dad's white shoes found it's way in the bag. A really hot look as I walked around the pool.

Can't wait for the next installment!

Coming in a few days. It will detail the flight over.

Here I thought I had the sole claim to that crown :laughing:

Did that a couple of trips ago and found myself bolting for the airport in Philadelphia...don't even want to disclose how fast I was propelling the car down the Northeast extension of the turnpike :blush:

I won't tell anyone if you don't. Probably was something like the time we were late for an indoor skydiving thing we did on one of our trips. Broke the land speed record going down I-4.

First things first. Who is going.

Me - AKA: The Guy with the Wallet. Single dad, Disney and DVC veteran. Older than dirt but still think I am a kid.

Ahh, yar still a kid. Age is all in the head and heart, not in the body.

Recently graduated from high school and will be heading to Seton Hall in the fall.

Seton Hall, beautiful campus, not so shabby in the area of academics either. Thanks for letting us (your fans :thumbsup2) watch her grow from a beautiful young teen to a beautiful young lady.

So how long were we away? After adding to the trip we were in Kona for six days, Aulani for seven, plus one day in Honolulu and Disneyland for five. Probably the longest vacation I will ever take.

Any time I go home it is a long vacation, not in spirit but in time. It is expensive to fly to the west coast so we tend to stay three weeks when possible. And it is hard to pack for that length of time. We only go once every 3-4 years. Next year we have been invited to visit during haying season. Ummmm, I wonder why. Might have something to do with my bother-in-law now being in his 70s and they need a few extra cheap hay hands.

... Since we were flying over Disneyland on the way back we also had to stop there. Just to break up the flight you understand.

Yea, right…:rolleyes2

Booked a 1 BR Ocean View at Aluani exactly 7 months ahead of time and same with a studio at the Grand California.

LUCKY! Although we tend to create our luck in life, i.e., booking at exactly 7 months ahead of time.

Are we there yet?

:yay:

Loved your video! Absolutely amazing! Can't wait for the next installment. We are starting to think about Aluani for our 15th anniversary so I'm really excited to see your TR. I'm trying to sneak in a few days at DLR also but DH wants to spend the whole 2 weeks just in Hawaii.

Well CJ, maybe you almost overslept, but at least you decided to leave on the right day!

I can't imagine how much fun a 20 day trip to Hawaii and Disneyland would be... Both for the pirate princess and her dad. I've been looking forward to this TR and as always, the underwater photography. You really make me want to try diving sometime.

:rotfl: Now that would make a great picture.

You would not believe the looks I got. I am sure they were thinking I was a fashion model or something.

How are the broken bones healing? Hope you are getting around better.

Loved your video! Absolutely amazing! Can't wait for the next installment. We are starting to think about Aluani for our 15th anniversary so I'm really excited to see your TR. I'm trying to sneak in a few days at DLR also but DH wants to spend the whole 2 weeks just in Hawaii.

Thanks on the video. More to come.

I can't argue with his logic. The Princess was upset we had to leave Hawaii. On the way out for the trip, I told the Flight Attendant I was chatting with, this was probably my only trip to Hawaii. Too many other places to explore. Now I am not so sure.

If you want advice, I would agree with him to spend two weeks in Hawaii if he would agree to spend a few days at DL. After all it is your anniversary.

Well CJ, maybe you almost overslept, but at least you decided to leave on the right day!

I can't imagine how much fun a 20 day trip to Hawaii and Disneyland would be... Both for the pirate princess and her dad. I've been looking forward to this TR and as always, the underwater photography. You really make me want to try diving sometime.

Smart a$$. So, one time I get the arrival date on a trip wrong and I am branded for life. (Actually it happened twice)

I arrived on time and it was fun. Any time you want to dive, come on down. I know a great place to go.

We leave in 8 days for our 21 day Hawaiian/DL adventure. I'm enjoying your trip report and throwing clothes in the bags now:rotfl: Can't wait to read more.

We leave in 8 days for our 21 day Hawaiian/DL adventure. I'm enjoying your trip report and throwing clothes in the bags now:rotfl: Can't wait to read more.

This won't be done by then but if you need any info, let me know.

Followed your Pre-trip report, and anxiously awaiting further updates. Glad you had a great vacation.

Day 1 Part 2: The flight halfway across the world. AKA: Must be in the front row. OK, almost.

So we arrive at the airport bleary eyed but still excited that the adventure is about to begin. Taking the shuttle meant we were at the airport over two hours before the 6:30 flight. What fun. Checked our bags curbside and security was a breeze. Checked three bags (the dive bags and DD’s suitcase) and carried on my bag, two smaller camera bags and larger bag with the underwater housing and external flash. There was a Dunkin’ Donuts near the gate. Pooh opted for a donut and I had one of their breakfast sandwiches.

So after waiting forever, we finally boarded. First leg was Miami to Dallas. DD and I were pretty far forward in plane, both with aisle seats across from one another. Not bad.

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

All was happy after we took off. The person on the window seat in her aisle was a chatty catty. DD hates to talk to others on planes (goes a long way back when she flew solo to visit me in NY) and leaned over to say she was glad she had a buffer. Pumped with excitement, we could barely contain ourselves.

That was until about three seconds after leaving Miami
IMG_0098.jpg

Sleep didn’t last long. Well, for about two hours and 30 minutes before we started our approach to Dallas. The other kid had an interesting sleeping posture.
IMG_0100.jpg

The flight was bumpy as we were flying through a front. Didn’t seem to bother the Pirate Princess very much. But the turbulence did almost spill the Bloody Mary I was enjoying. Landed and for another two hours availed ourselves to the hospitality of the Dallas/Fort Worth Airport.

Before we boarded, the Agent warned everyone that coach will not be served a meal and it was an 8 hour flight. I opted for a BBQ sandwich, Crash decided she didn’t need anything. That was despite my asking her a number of times if she wanted anything.

Were called to board and was very pleased to see where our seats were. First row after First Class. And we only had two seats in our row. Yippee!

Not bad, not bad at all
IMG_0101.jpg

The seats next to us. We boarded as soon as we could and these were eventually filled.
IMG_0104.jpg

Needless to say after her long nap the Kid could not fall asleep again. Or not.
IMG_0106.jpg

She woke up a few times but was mostly out. I love this picture. She often sleeps with her eyes partially open. Must be a spy or something. Has to be ready to awake with Ninja like reflexes.
IMG_0110.jpg

After a couple of hours the Captain informed us we left the coast and were flying over the Pacific. Ooh, pretty blue water. While she slept, I spent the time between reading books downloaded on my I-pad or listening to podcasts on my I-pod.
IMG_0108.jpg

She did wake up long enough to say she was hungry. Duh! Then why didn’t you get something at the airport like I suggested? Or when the Flight Attendant first came by asking if you wanted anything. I would have given her part of my pulled pork sandwich but 1. It was gone and 2. She is a vegetarian.

Suggested that she go to see if anything was left. They did have one chicken caesar salad left that did not have any chicken. That would work. The Flight Attendant gave it to her for free and later came up to apologize for the lack of food items. No harm, no foul. DD was satisfied and it dind’t cost me anything.

After what seemed like an eternity, the Pilot announced that we were making our approach into Honolulu. Hallelujah, the 8+ hour flight was coming to an end.

Land ho
IMG_0115.jpg

Bags arrived and hoof it down to the Hawaii Airlines’ gate which was a ways away from American. Now only two more hours until the HA flight to Kona. The flights from Miami were changed to take off and arrive earlier than originally booked and after I reserved the Kona flight. Tried to get an earlier flight at the ticket counter but it was only an hour earlier and would have cost a fair chunk of change. So we decided to sit it out.

First stop after getting through security was food. Well, and drinks. Her first Pina Colada. Sans alcohol of course.
IMG_0120.jpg

Where? A Tiki bar of course.
IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

Forgot what we had but we ended up fat and happy.

At the gate, we saw some of the local wildlife enjoying the air conditioning
IMG_0128.jpg

Very exotic creature
IMG_0126.jpg

Finally the flight was called and we boarded. Was surprised (not for the first time) how brown the landscape was.
IMG_0130.jpg

DD was interested in this plane, an Air Force transport. Her boy “friend” enlisted in the Air Force after graduation.
IMG_0131.jpg

Bye, Bye Honolulu. We will see you in a few days.
IMG_0135.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

Half an hour later, it was Aloha Kona. We will be diving these waters in a couple of days.

IMG_0140.jpg

Landed, got the car (a Ford Focus) and we were soon off to the resort.

The day started with a sunrise in Miami and now ended with a sunset in Hawaii.
IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

DD took these blurry pictures on the way. Did I say how brown everything is?
IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

Of course we made a wrong turn, thanks to the navigator (she was sitting next to me). We could go right or left on the highway. We went left when we were supposed to take... you guessed it, a right. Each Hawaiian Island has about two or three highways on the entire Island. We were on the right road, just going the wrong way. We would have eventually made it to the resort but it would take a while. After going back and forth a couple of times trying to decide which way to go, we were finally headed in the right direction.

As instructed at the Enterprise office, we took a right turn that was five lights from the airport and found the Royal Kona Resort. By now it was dark and I was exhausted. The person at the check in counter was extremely nice and went through the ABC’s of the resort. Parking fee $10 a day, deposit required, blah blah blah. Since I booked the extra day on my own, she had to tie the two reservations together. The only way to do that was to check out tomorrow and then check back in. Same room though. It was nearly 3 am Miami time and I maybe had an hour of sleep total on the plane. If she would have said that the room rate was changed to a billion dollars a night, I would have nodded my head and agreed. We get the keys and a general direction to the room.

The lounge was right off the lobby so we decided to have a nightcap and a bite to eat. Again forgot what we had but I guess I enjoyed it. Entered the room. Even with eyes half opened, the room looked nice and I did go out on the balcony. That also looked nice. Saw the Pacific and heard the sounds of the waves beating on the shore.

We left the door slightly opened so we could keep hearing the waves while we slept. Think I changed clothes before I went to sleep but not sure that happened. Or even if I got under the covers. Eyes closed and I was OUT!

Recap: Today was tough but not as tough as I thought it would be. The Dallas to Hawaii flight was long but with great seats, it really wasn’t bad. Sitting right behind First Class, it did make me hungry when they were served dinner. The food smelled really appealing. As I was waiting at the terminal for the flight to Kona I was thinking that it was a bad idea not to get a room at Honolulu that night. I could have gone to bed long before we arrived at Kona. I was hopeful it was all worth it to wake up there tomorrow morning instead of getting on another early hour flight.

Up next: First day in Hawaii and a trip to the volcanos. AKA: Stinking weather.

Did your flight to Kona leave from the main terminal in Honolulu or did you have to go to the smaller terminal? We have learned to change flights in CA or Seattle so we can fly directly to Maui or Kona because the nonstop flights from our airport (Mpls/St. Paul) only fly to Honolulu. In the past we always had to take the Wiki Wiki from the big terminal at Honolulu to the smaller one that serviced inter island flights. Flying directly to the neighbor island also eliminates the worry that we might miss the last inter island flight if we are delayed.
Can't wait to read the next installment! Thanks for all the photos. I know how time consuming it is to upload and post them.

CJ - Really enjoying your trip report. We did something similar six years ago when I retired except it was a week long Hawaii cruise followed by a stay at Disneyland. Hope to do a trip to Aulani in a couple of years and who knows we may do a DL stop on the way back again.

Long day of traveling. Makes me even more certain I'll stop in CA both ways.

I hope the Pirate Princess doesn't see the photos you post of her sleeping, too funny :)

That is one long travel day! It makes so much sense to break up the trip, as you did on the way home.
Great pictures of your daughter - I wish I could sleep like that on a plane!

Well, it looks like a long, exhausting day, but at least it ended in Hawaii. I could think of worse things. :rotfl2:

I think it would be worth it to go ahead and finish the trip in Kona, rather than finishing the last flight the next day, but I guess you'll tell us if it was worth it or not. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter