• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2017 Holiday Events Start 11/18 This Year

question for veterans: I have been watching videos of the Macy's parade. Am I right that the best spot to watch is by Mummy so I can see the lighting of the Christmas tree at the end or do they light up the tree any other time? Also for this spot, how far in advance should I plan to be there?
Yes, that's a great spot to watch. Near the entrance to the Mummy, in front of Macy's. Besides the tree, the Rockettes stop here and do the leg kicking thing which they don't do anywhere else on the parade route and they also pose for pictures too. I would get a spot at least one hour in advance, more if it's later in the month of December or a weekend.

Last edited:
Should we be I the mummy side or facing the mummy? Is there a parade route map we can see before our trip?

I just want to vent a little bit to my other Christmas Planners here. :D

I keep checking and hoping that something will open up at one of the resorts (With express) for Dec 15-17.
We just decided last weekend to go in Dec and had to make sure everyone was free. I had checked on rooms and had a few options. As soon as I got the word from the last of us, I checked and the only thing available was HRH at $324. Which isn't incredibly bad, but we are planning to gift my SIL's family with the hotel on this trip and would need two rooms. I was considering the Hospitality Suite at RPR. These two would probably be about the same price, so I'm torn. Go ahead and book the rooms at HRH or wait and see what else might open up.

Sigh... It's no major dilemma, but I figured that you guys would understand my planning angst. ;)

We also have Seasonal APs and are planning three park days 12/8-12/10, flying in late the night before and early the next morning. So, I guess I need to plan for 12/8 in Universal Studios and 12/9&10 in IOA, due to the concerts. I am going to try for the Grinch Breakfast one of the two IOA days. Since I only have 1 day in US, what Christmas events do I not want to miss besides the parade and tree lighting? Also, the park is open until 7 that day, when will the parade and tree lighting take place?

How do you do this? Sign up to be a balloon handler in the parade.
Can We do this before we arrive?

Here are the details from Orlando Informer for 2017:

"Guests may sign up to be balloon handlers and take part in delighting crowds along the streets of Universal Studios Florida. Registration opens two hours before parade time in Woody Woodpecker’s KidZone – so 3:00 pm or 6:00 pm, depending on the parade schedule – and is first come, first serve for everyone.

Requirements for participating (subject to change):

• 18 years of age or older
  • 48 inches or taller
  • Weigh at least 125 pounds
  • Able to lift 50 pounds
  • Able to walk the length and time of the parade, roughly one mile and one hour
  • Hold the line of the balloon with two hands
  • Understand English to follow commands from the balloon pilots
  • Must be wearing closed-toe shoes
Coordinating jump suits and gloves are provided to all participants."

We also have Seasonal APs and are planning three park days 12/8-12/10, flying in late the night before and early the next morning. So, I guess I need to plan for 12/8 in Universal Studios and 12/9&10 in IOA, due to the concerts. I am going to try for the Grinch Breakfast one of the two IOA days. Since I only have 1 day in US, what Christmas events do I not want to miss besides the parade and tree lighting? Also, the park is open until 7 that day, when will the parade and tree lighting take place?
If the park is closing at 7:00 then the parade will probably start at 5:00pm. Official times haven't been posted yet but that's what it's been in past years.

Is it the MS concert? If you want to hit US on the MS concert days, you should plan on IOA but consider trying to hop to US. I had a phone member say we could get in on that day and said it was even discussed with the supervisor and said seasonal passes were not blocked for MS concert days. I upgraded my pass to not have to worry about it but you might give it a try if you so desire.

Last edited:
I just want to vent a little bit to my other Christmas Planners here. :D

I keep checking and hoping that something will open up at one of the resorts (With express) for Dec 15-17.
We just decided last weekend to go in Dec and had to make sure everyone was free. I had checked on rooms and had a few options. As soon as I got the word from the last of us, I checked and the only thing available was HRH at $324. Which isn't incredibly bad, but we are planning to gift my SIL's family with the hotel on this trip and would need two rooms. I was considering the Hospitality Suite at RPR. These two would probably be about the same price, so I'm torn. Go ahead and book the rooms at HRH or wait and see what else might open up.

Sigh... It's no major dilemma, but I figured that you guys would understand my planning angst. ;)

Back in August I was thinking of switching from PBH to RPR but the only availability was club level and up. We wouldn't get much use out of the concierge lounge so it seemed a waste of $$ and just decided to stay put but my point is that it got me worried that there was not much availability even back in August and this was for the first week of December! I was wondering if crowds were up because of the expanded holiday offerings in the Wizarding World or what? But yeah, I feel your pain. Maybe try calling directly they might have something that isn't listed on the website. Good luck!

Thanks for this thread! We decided to split our 2 day ticket in order to experience the holiday offerings on 11/19. We are first timers to Universal and very excited!

If the park is closing at 7:00 then the parade will probably start at 5:00pm. Official times haven't been posted yet but that's what it's been in past years.

Thanks!

Is it the MS concert? If you want to hit IOA on the MS concert days, you should plan on US but consider trying to hop to ioa. I had a phone member say we could get in on that day and said it was even discussed with the supervisor and said seasonal passes were not blocked for MS concert days. I upgraded my pass to not have to worry about it but you might give it a try if you so desire.

Yes, from what I am reading we may not be able to get into US because of the MS concerts. I don't want to pay for the upgrade.

Yes, that's a great spot to watch. Near the entrance to the Mummy, in front of Macy's. Besides the tree, the Rockettes stop here and do the leg kicking thing which they don't do anywhere else on the parade route and they also pose for pictures too. I would get a spot at least one hour in advance, more if it's later in the month of December or a weekend.

Isn't that the restricted HC/accessible area?

Parade for Mardi Gras was right before the concert last time i attended. That time line makes sense, guessing the concert is an abbreviated one (under an hour?)

U is oh-so casual as to details lol. If they don't get around to releasing specific times, really hope somebody will do the first weekend & post back here the times before we arrive after thanksgiving:wizard:

Thanks!

Yes, from what I am reading we may not be able to get into US because of the MS concerts. I don't want to pay for the upgrade.

The rest of my party had regular tickets, so it was just me that had to upgrade. I just wanted to pass along that when I called to upgrade my seasonal pass, they insisted that the day was not blocked for me, despite the MS concert, so if you want to plan on IOA but have a desire to hop over to US, it might be worth a try. Consensus on the boards was that it was blocked.(edited for typo)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter