• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

3 year olds now need to wear masks in California

Well, most most effective would be face shield and mask combination. Anyway, apologies. I, a civilian, know how to wear a face shield (okay, admittedly, mainly from seeing them on Amazon) so I expect everyone else would, too :D

My only worry would be for the kids with impulse control issues. If mask wearing is a firm rule for inclusion in organized sports and groups like summer camp, I see those kids getting yelled at a lot. Typical kids will do just fine with the masks, they are going to mess around with them, chew them, lick them, touch them when they aren't supposed to, will need reminders to leave them alone, etc. But kids with impulse issues will be playing, their mask will feel hot and sweaty, and they will TAKE IT OFF because their little brains aren't programmed to think things through before they act. And that problem is magnified the younger they are. THOSE are the kids that will have lasting psychological effects from mask-wearing; they will be regularly publicly shamed, they will have to sit out of activities, coaches and camp counselors will say things to them like "why are you like this" and "it's Timmy's fault that our swimming time is short today because he wouldn't listen". Typical kids are resilient and will roll with it, worry for the 10% of kids that are atypical.

I'll explain why masks isolate children:

SEEING HUMAN FACES IS A MASSIVE PART OF DEVELOPMENT AND CONNECTION WITH OTHER HUMAN BEINGS.

Good lord, are you guys serious?

Kids need to be able to see smiles, frowns, facial expressions. Facial expressions are part of learning empathy. This is why they are a big focus in learning for children with autism spectrum disorder - learning expressions and learning how to make them. YES, not being able to see faces IS isolating, it separates you from other people.

Are you so numb to other humans that being able to see their faces is now totally meaningless?

"Facial expressions of emotion are nonverbal behaviors that allow us to interact efficiently in social life and respond to events affecting our welfare. " - Psychonomic Bulletin & Review
"They are extremely important to the social interaction of individuals. " - Department of Psychology, Ningbo University

This is absolutely horrifying, dystopian insanity.

From th article....
According to Perencevich's group, "face shields may provide a better option."

To be most effective in stopping viral spread, a face shield should extend to below the chin. It should also cover the ears and "there should be no exposed gap between the forehead and the shield's headpiece," the Iowa team members said.

I have yet to see a face shield worn by the average person in public that met the above criteria to be effective. (Even the stock photo at the top of that article doesn’t “cover the ears.”) That was why I had my doubts when I saw the couple.
Funny how the article says "to be MOST effective", yet you turn it around that unless it's worn as specified, it's not effective. There are plenty of people wearing masks improperly which cuts down on the effectiveness of those too.

The governor of CA just made masks mandatory for children unless they are under 2 and under. My 5 year old son is enrolled in a summer camp which already has social distancing measures in place. Now he's required to wear a mask all day. While I understand the precaution, I feel bad for young children being so isolated fro their peers at a crucial developmental age.

Come on. Breathing fresh air is so overrated. Get with the new normal - less oxygen, more C02. Kids can handle it.

SEEING HUMAN FACES IS A MASSIVE PART OF DEVELOPMENT AND CONNECTION WITH OTHER HUMAN BEINGS.

Kids need to be able to see smiles, frowns, facial expressions. Facial expressions are part of learning empathy. This is why they are a big focus in learning for children with autism spectrum disorder - learning expressions and learning how to make them. YES, not being able to see faces IS isolating, it separates you from other people.

Are you so numb to other humans that being able to see their faces is now totally meaningless?

"Facial expressions of emotion are nonverbal behaviors that allow us to interact efficiently in social life and respond to events affecting our welfare. " - Psychonomic Bulletin & Review
"They are extremely important to the social interaction of individuals. " - Department of Psychology, Ningbo University

You are a terrible person unless you cover your nose and mouth without complaint.

Well, most most effective would be face shield and mask combination. Anyway, apologies. I, a civilian, know how to wear a face shield (okay, admittedly, mainly from seeing them on Amazon) so I expect everyone else would, too :D

They need to start mandating goggles and gloves. I'll be back with the wearchange.org petition link.

We live in upstate NY. Face coverings have been required for those as young as 2 in most public areas for awhile now.

I have a 22 month old whom I’ve only taken out in public a couple of times since the requirement was put in place. Once to the pediatrician, and once to her older siblings’ school for curbside drop-off and farewells. She bawled her eyes out both times at all of the masked faces. It’s lousiest game of peek-a-boo ever for her.

This is the same girl who, just last winter, would cheerily wave and say hello to strangers at the grocery store. Thankfully, we have close family that we still see regularly and do not wear masks with. I’m very sad that she can’t have the normal interaction with the rest of our community that my other toddlers enjoyed.

I don’t expect that she will wear a mask without crying for a long time. Even her pediatrician said that it’s rare for 2-year-olds to wear them without a fight. So I will just avoid situations where masks are required for now.

As a preschool teacher I’m a little worried about how this is all going to play out in the classroom. IF we go back and that is a big IF I have been thinking about how important it is for kids in a 5 hour classroom setting to be able to see the expressions of the others faces. We talk so much about reading others expressions when talking about emotions and social cues. Also , it is difficult enough to understand a 3 year old at times; not seeing their lips will make it even more frustrating. As a former speech therapist I’m afraid some articulation training will get lost.

But for me, it's the lesser of two evils and right now I don't get a say. So if I have to choose between keeping my kids away from their peers or letting them around their peers with social distance and masks, I'll choose the latter. If it's the only way my kids are allowed back in their dance studio, we'll do it. It's not ideal and it sucks, but those are really the two choices we have right now. Because you know what also is detrimental to human connection and development? Isolation from their peers completely.

The effectiveness of masks is another debate and one I won't wade into again having expressed my opinion multiple times on other threads.

Last edited:
As a preschool teacher I’m a little worried about how this is all going to play out in the classroom. IF we go back and that is a big IF I have been thinking about how important it is for kids in a 5 hour classroom setting to be able to see the expressions of the others faces. We talk so much about reading others expressions when talking about emotions and social cues. Also , it is difficult enough to understand a 3 year old at times; not seeing their lips will make it even more frustrating. As a former speech therapist I’m afraid some articulation training will get lost.

This is definitely a concern. My preschool students have autism and other developmental disabilities. We're pretty sure they won't wear masks. We did a Zoom session where we read a story about mask-wearing and why it's important. The three teachers took turns putting on our masks and then showing the kids that it's still us underneath. Then we had the parents help the kids put on their masks. Two of our 11 kids wore them for about 15-20 seconds before taking them off. The other 9 kids wouldn't even allow their parents to put masks on their faces. I also worry about how the kids will react to us wearing masks, not to mention that masks will block part of our faces. Our kids are just learning to communicate and we often model words and sounds for them to repeat. I've seen the masks with a clear plastic panel around the mouth. We may need to look into those. We're also discussing whether we should also wear face shields. Our kids aren't yet aware of how to cover a cough or sneeze. Many have issues with drooling. If they're not able to wear masks, we're going to need extra protection from all the bodily fluids for ourselves. We need to ensure that the class is still effective for the kids, while ensuring it's safe for the kids and staff. It's a lot to figure out.

Target is too. $5 for 2. My kids actually really like them - if you can like a mask.

ETA: I’m just now seeing you said shields not masks. 🤦‍♀️ Oops! Well here are some inexpensive masks if anybody needs any.

https://www.target.com/p/kids-39-2pk-fabric-face-masks-colors-may-vary/-/A-79833004

Last edited:

And speech for younger kids 2-3 years old. It has absolutely reached a level of insanity.

I highly doubt the spikes in cases are from unmasked 3 year olds 🙄

It is hard to get kids to do a lot of things we make them do for their health. Why should this be the one thing that makes people throw their hands up in the air and say it is too hard?

As a parent in a setting where you have an errand to run with your 3 year old or a 30 minute activity I agree. With a classroom of 14 three year olds and 2 adults I would disagree. The average attention span for a child is their age plus 3 minutes. I spend the whole year working on where they should keep their hands. If people think they can get 14 three year olds to comply with keeping on a mask for five hours, have at it; not to mention learning communication skills, articulation and language.

As a parent in a setting where you have an errand to run with your 3 year old or a 30 minute activity I agree. With a classroom of 14 three year olds and 2 adults I would disagree. The average attention span for a child is their age plus 3 minutes. I spend the whole year working on where they should keep their hands. If people think they can get 14 three year olds to comply with keeping on a mask for five hours, have at it; not to mention learning communication skills, articulation and language.

Definitely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter