8 Days of Disney Dining Reviews Jan. 2007 (PHOTOS)

mydogisbo

DIS Veteran
Dining at Disney World is always a challenge to my mind. We love the character meals, but never eat nearly enough to justify the price. Some restaurants seem to be hit or miss. We have our perennial favorites, but want to try new things.

Here is a sampling of how we spent our food $ on our January Trip hopefully helpful to some.

Cast:
Me & DH, both 31
DS 7
DS 3

Trip Dates January 20-27
Restaurants:
Kringla Bakery
Whispering Canyon Café
Pizzafari
Patisserie Boulangerie
Earl of Sandwich
Crystal Palace (Breakfast)
Columbia Harbor House
50s Prime Time
‘Ohana Breakfast
Le Cellier
Playhouse Disney Play & Dine at Hollywood & Vine
Sunshine Seasons
Tony’s Town Square
Electric Umbrella

First Stop: Kringla Bakery at Norway.

I decided I wanted to eat here to have a nice, light lunch (with sweets) & enjoy the relaxing atmosphere. DH & I had eaten here on our honeymoon a mere 10 years ago & I remembered enjoying it.

January202007018.jpg

DS7 & I split a Turkey open faced sandwich. Very good & light. DH had his own. DS3 eats next to nothing (picky eater + indulgent parents = non eater, lesson learned). He had Cheez-Its & Fruit snacks we brought along.

DS7 had a fruit cup, mostly grapes, but good.

I ordered a Lefse (the rolled item) & a Schoolbread. The Schoolbread was FANTASTIC. Yummy cream on the inside. Coconut on the outside. Loved it. The Lefse I could take it or leave it. It wasn’t what I was expecting. Not bad, but not as good as the Schoolbread IMHO.
January202007019.jpg

Location Rating: A+ (nice warm day, quiet outside seating, not invaded by birds, very clean)
Food Rating: A+
Service: A (walked right up & placed our order, no one else in line, very nice CMs)
Overall Experience: A+ I highly recommend stopping in here, even if just for dessert!

Whipsering Canyon Café for Dinner

I knew I wanted to eat here based on DIS reviews & the location. We debated about staying at WL so I knew I wanted to check it out. We had a 6:50 ADR for 6 people. Not my first choice, but when my parents decided to join us 2 weeks before we left, that was the closest time to my original 6:30 I could get after adding 2 people.

So, we drove to WL & looked around in the lobby & went up a few floors to get a feeling for the place. I liked it, a lot. I think for this vacation though BCV was the best choice for us—just a sunnier feeling & that is what I needed this time.
January202007093.jpg

Anyway, on to the food.

I checked in at the podium around 6:40. I think we waited 10-15 minutes. It is nice because there is seating in the lobby that you can take advantage of while waiting.

We were seated in the main dining section, but sort-of off to ourselves. Our table was by the windows & closest to the kitchen doors.

Our server was Head of Lettuce. She was a hoot, calling the boys Cowboy, sneezing our straws on us, etc. The boys had a great time (we all did really—it was our first Disney night, how could we not???). We enjoyed the antics of pony races & ketchup bottles.

DS7 had the hotdog, proclaimed it good. It’s a hot dog. Don’t remember if we ordered anything for DS3—if they have pizza that is what he got, if not side of fries.
January202007103.jpg

DH & I shared the NY Strip steak. We ordered it medium well. They had no problems with us sharing & brought an extra plate when they served the meal. Don’t remember what the parents ate—sorry!! DH got a milkshake he said was good. Cornbread was very good. I would say we waited a little bit longer than average amount of time to get our food.

Our meal was not good. I think it was a fluke because I believe all of the good reviews here, but we missed out. Although we ordered it medium-well it came out charred. Literally burned on the outside. The mashed or smashed potatoes with it were cool, presumably because they had waited for the steak to cook. As I said, I don’t remember what my mom ordered but she did ask for a side of green beans. They brought the fluorescent beans out on a plate & she shared. I ate 2. They tasted as though they were frozen green beans & the only preparation that went into them was taking them from the freezer bag, put them on the plate, let it sit on counter while steak is burned. They were cold, not cool, COLD. Yuck!

I am glad we ate here—to see the WL, to play the games, the atmosphere is great. I don’t think we need to go back for a few years though—it wasn’t that impressive to me.

Food: C-
Service: A-
Overall Experience: B

Enjoying your reviews, Sarah! Hopefully WCC was the only bad experience you had.

I love reviews with photos! Keep them coming!!

We plan on eating at Kringla for the same reasons you did. Light meal plus sweets :thumbsup2

Great reviews so far, love the pics! Will keep watching for more -- a few of the restaurants on your list are on our list, too...

Lunch @ Pizzafari

YUM!

Pizza is a staple at our house with DS3, so I knew this choice would at least be a meal for him. We went early, probably 11:30-11:45 because we had gotten to the park so early. We walked right up to the counter & ordered. Between the 4 of us we got 2 cheese pizzas & a pepperoni. (I saved on drinks by bringing those in with us, shhh!)
January212007014.jpg

I have to say I think the pizza was quite good. We got it quickly, and it was nice & hot (but not too hot). The kids devoured it & we had just the right amount for all of us.

January212007069.jpg

I also really enjoyed the colorful & playful atmosphere inside. Although it was nice enough weather to eat outside we grabbed a table right inside—this place is huge! It was very clean too. No complaints on this one & we’ll be back. Very good for counter service.

January212007070.jpg

Location: A (pretty close to most everything, perfect for us to go to Camp M-M after eating)
Food: A
Service: A (very efficient—also very early—very clean)
Overall experience : A (highly recommend especially if you have children)

great reviews---we were there the exact same time and ate at some of the same restaurants--can't wait to see if we were in any of them at the same time!!!!

Dinner at Earl of Sandwich

I love eating here when we are at Downtown Disney. We usually don’t spend too much time over there, but we do like to shop at a few places in the Marketplace. The location of Earl of Sandwich is perfect for that & the price is just right!
January222007003.jpg

DS 7 got the kids turkey & cheese—proclaimed it delicious. He is a sandwich kid. He particularly liked the bread & I agree on that.

DS 3 got the pizza—can you believe it?? It was a closed sandwich though, which I was afraid would cause a meltdown from this pizza connoisseur, but mom to the rescue! I opened it up & things were just fine. This is a kid who goes nuts if the cheese gets stringy. He says, “Oh no! A rope!” Good grief.

I had the All American. Basically turkey & cheese with cranberry sauce (bacon too I think) warm. I got the ranch on the side for dipping. Delicious. I definitely recommend this sandwich. Their bread really is fantastic.

Don’t remember what DH got—sorry. He liked it though .

It was warm, & had not started raining yet, so we ate outside under their covered tables. It was a bit quieter outside, which was nice, plus we had a great view of Once Upon a Toy.

Food: A+ (+ because it is a super value)
Service: A (very clean & very fast)
Overall Experience: A

great reviews---we were there the exact same time and ate at some of the same restaurants--can't wait to see if we were in any of them at the same time!!!!

Wouldn't that be neat?--unless it was at Le Cellier where my DS3 was a little less than well behaved, or Tony's where he did meltdown as we were seated. I did see someone at WCC that I knew from another MB. We were staying close to each other too--& even more odd is that in 2006 we stayed at CBR for an extended family trip & we had our Disneymoon at POR (though in 1997 & it was still Dixie Landings). Let me know if anything matches up!

Breakfast at the Crystal Palace with Pooh & Pals!!!

This is a tradition. A family favorite. A Must-Do on our Magic Kingdom Day.

We had an 8:25 ADR. I wanted to arrive early to take some Magical Magic Kingdom pictures in an empty park. We got to MK around 8:05 & had to tell the CM at the entrance where we had a ressie to get in. We got great shots at the Roy & Minnie Statue, the Partners Statue, in the Middle of Main St. & so on. We checked in around 8:20 & waited maybe 5 minutes—it was very fast.
January232007030.jpg

We were seated, our waiter greeted us & took our drink orders. He also explained the order of the characters & where they currently were in their rotation.

We waited at the table as Pooh, & Piglet were close. After seeing them we headed off to the buffet. I got food for 3 of us & DH waited at the table with DS3. After I returned to the table to see Tigger, the waiter let my DH know that a large group was coming in & he probably wanted to get on over to the buffet. More on that later.

I absolutely LOVE the French Toast & Breakfast Lasagna. I rounded that out with a bit of fruit & bacon. DS 7 enjoyed fruit, bacon, a muffin & French toast. DH a bit of everything. DS 3 ate cereal & bread. I know. Everything was very fresh, hot/warm, & good.

My only complaint about this experience is not one that is directly the fault of the restaurant. The large group mentioned by our waiter was one of the Brazilian tour groups of teenagers. We encountered them throughout our trip & they were harmless. This morning, however, was different. They were seated all around us & the CP manager had certain tables set aside for the group & others for ADRs. Well, the group decided they were going to sit wherever they wanted in this area, because these 2 girls wanted to sit together & when they got in there weren’t enough seats at any of the designated tables for them to stay together & so on. The wait staff had to keep asking groups to move from the tables they claimed. The worst part was the leader of the tour group & the manager had a somewhat loud discussion about the situation right at our table. The group itself (mostly female) was a bit loud & obnoxious with the characters. We were still waiting for Eeyore to arrive at our table & he had to make it through all of the tour group before he could get to us—several of them getting up from their tables to meet him, rather than letting him work his way around.

This is still my favorite character breakfast & we will do it every time until something drastic changes. I just love entering MK before opening, I love the open, airy atmosphere of the restaurant & I love the food. Our waiter was excellent, despite the tour group.

Food: A+
Service B+ (our waiter gets an A, the manager gets a B- for not taking his discussion away from our table—they were literally right behind my sons’ chairs)
Overall Experience: B+/A- (just because of the tour group complications)

Dinner at the 50’s Prime Time Café.

My family has always loved this restaurant, way back to the early 90s. It may have been the only TS restaurant we ate in when we came in 1991 (I think it was). DH & I thought it was the best meal we had in 2004, last year we were very upset to hear it was closed for refurb during our trip. I know this restaurant has a love/hate following, we are decidedly on the love side.

January232007022.jpg

Our reservation was for 6:05. We walked over to MGM from Beach Club—a nice little walk through the Boardwalk, along the canal to the entrance—we really enjoyed this. It was an EMH at MGM, so we got wristbands before checking in at the restaurant. It was probably 10 minutes early when we checked in & we waited a bit for our table—maybe 15 minutes. I say a bit because I think that was our longest wait of the stay.

It was well worth the wait, though, because we got one of the “good tables” with the TV. There were some canisters up top that my grandmother had the exact same ones!

January232007037.jpg

Uncle Tim was our server & he was great in character. He signed our autograph book too. We were ready to order when he came to the table. Fried Chicken for DH & Me, substitute green beans (hoping they’re better than WCC), Chicken nuggets for the boys.

The food came very quickly & Uncle Tim was attentive to our drinks (even gave me a refill in a to-go cup before we left).

The Fried Chicken was delicious. DH cleaned his plate to the bones. I couldn’t eat quite that much, but it was excellent. We’ve never had anything else there, when we find something this good, why mess with it?

January232007035.jpg

DS 7 said that the nuggets were good & he really loved the make-your-own Sundae dessert. I think DS 3 approved too—he ate some of his.

January232007036.jpg
January232007041.jpg

Another great time & great meal at the 50s PT for us!

Food: A+
Service: A
Overall experience: A/A+

Lunch at Columbia Harbor House

We’d eaten breakfast at Crystal Palace & were having dinner at 50s Prime Time. We didn’t want to eat much. My parents were hungry (they didn’t join us for breakfast) & the boys needed something, so we chose Columbia Harbor House.

January232007140.jpg

We sent DH in line for a basket of Chicken Fingers & a Basket of Fries for us to share & we headed upstairs for the perfect seat & we found it. Nice & quiet with a great view.

January232007144.jpg

The line was not too bad given the time of day, & service was pretty quick. Food was warm & good (for chicken fingers). But the nice quiet spot we got made it all worth while (& it seemed to be less crowded than some of the alternatives like Pinocchio’s).

Food: B+
Service: B
Overall Experience B+/A-

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter