A strange realization has set in....

lntsmom

<font color=teal>Soarin' is addictive!<br><font co
I was online here a lot last spring, stressing to no end over the plans for our trip to Disneyland. 7 months have passed and my boys still bring up details of the trip on a regular basis. Due to a financial crisis (I'd add unexpected, but is a crisis ever expected????) it will be 2007 before we'll be Disneying again.

I've already gotten into that planning mood, so I started hanging around on the DW boards...and I'm just not getting into it. This may sound crazy, but if they'd ditch the broads and bring back the rodents (at Ariel's grotto that is) :rotfl2: I would tell the kiddies that we're doing Disneyland again instead of alternating coasts.

The whole Orlando thing is just so...well...involved. Last time we went I just did the package. I may end up doing that again simply because there are too many options there to deal with. Even with 18 months to plan, I can't begin to envision putting a trip there together in bits and pieces.

Months ago I said that, since I live halfway between the parks, I see the good in both and have no preference. I'll admit, my feelings have changed. For a single parent or a family on a budget or anyone who loves Disney history, Disneyland is the place to go!

Sigh. As you can see, I've dropped in from time-to-time to enjoy reading about the plans all of you are making now. Hope all you planners have vacations as wonderful as ours was!

Have a great time planning! Hope your financial crisis will be resolved soon and that you and your kids will have a wonderful time at Disney next time (of course you will!!!).

I know what you mean about planning a trip to WDW. It is overwhelming. I tried to plan a trip without a package and was shocked at all the options.
Being a DL veteran (I grew up near DL) I really didn't understand how huge WDW is until I started planning our trip.
Everything seems more expensive:
A farther plane ride
Hotels are more
more time to enjoy the park
We'll go eventually but maybe when DS who is 6 is a bit older.

You know, it's funny. I'm having a harder time planing DL than I do WDW. I've been to WDW so many times, that I know all the "answers". I know what counter-service places are good to eat at, and those to avoid. I know the best way to park hop, and what a good resort rate is. I know that, for my family, a car rental is useless and how many days in a row we can tour parks until we need a day off (2, to be exact!).

Since I've only been to DL once, though, I'm having a heck of a time planning my next trip. I don't know ANY of the restaurants (my biggest hurdle) and I can't choose a hotel for the life of me (at least my really low budget is keeping the list of choices small!). Oh well, I don't have to worry about park hopping, at least. Just walk across the plaza to either DTD or DCA!

Hey, we were at Disneyland 7 mos. ago, too! The pics are still up on our fridge. ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo
Like you, we're planning our next trip for 2007. We're really looking forward to the Nemo Subs.
pixiedust:

Chicago526 said:
I don't know ANY of the restaurants (my biggest hurdle) and I can't choose a hotel for the life of me (at least my really low budget is keeping the list of choices small!).

Most of the places in Disneyland are pretty good for what they are. I've heard WDW has better food- but we dont really go there to eat and dont want to spend huge amounts of time getting meals.

We stay away from Village haus in fantasy land. Unless its changed in the last couple years, its just not good! Clam chowder in a bread bowl (there are a few places to get it) is my dh's favorite. The corn dogs from the cart at the end of main street are very good- and huge! I think its $6 for a corn dog and chips. The breadbowl with chili and cheese from coke corner is good and filling. The fried chicken at the plaza and at the french market is good- and is a HUGE meal. We love Pizza port in tomorrow land. The food is good and the portions are large. We eat there at least once every trip.

Out of the park- white water snacks at the grand is pretty good and very reasonable. There are tons of places DTD, can't think of any off the top of my head. We tend to eat at the park to save time. :teeth:

If there is someplace you are considering, ask- someone can tell you what to expect.

The top of my list for DL restaurants is Blue Bayou. I've been hooked on their monte cristo sandwiches for years. They're big enough to split. FYI - Pirates of the Caribbean and subsequently Blue Bayou is closing soon for refurbishment.
We love the French market, Carnation cafe, the Plaza and Ariel's Grotto in California Adventure. The meals are huge at the French market, so plan on splitting them.
Most of the food at DL is fine. I'm not partial to the meals in Tomorrowland near the Buzz Lightyear show. We really like Bengal BBQ in Adventure Land, but I understand they're closing it.
Also Zocalos in Frontierland is always a favorite.

We take a break everyday. We do all of our rides in the morning, have lunch and head back to the hotel for swimming and naps. Then we're ready to go for the evening.
I have also found the food carts in California Adventure to be a bit better. Maybe it's because we're not waiting in huge lines! We've eaten at the vineyard (i think that's it's name) and that was quite good and the services was very fast and friendly.

I, like Chicago526, am having more anxiety about my 4 days in DL than I ever thought of having about any vacation to WDW. I think it’s just a matter of being more comfortable with planning something that you’ve done before and you’re more familiar with. We’ve been to WDW 5 times in almost as many years and it just seems to be fun…..all the planning and balancing, yes I’m nutz BTW. And believe me our trips to WDW are way more organized and timed than what this one seems to add up to. We usually spend 7-10 days in WDW, typically over the Fourth of July holiday….and I have spreadsheets that I keep track of everything (it’s almost embarrassing). I know what parks we will be in for each day, what time we will arrive, what rides we will ride and in what order, what time we will leave, and what we will do when we leave………I have 1 PS set up for each day for a sit down (usually lunch) with a CS in mind for the other meal. I know what day we will see what fireworks, I know what places we will shop and for how long I usually even know what we will spend on each meal…..I really do a juggling act. But, let me tell you I love every bit of it. My DH thinks I’m nutz. Actually, last year is the first year he really let me loose….he’s the type that likes to just let things flow. He was quite happy with all the work I did because he never felt like he was on a schedule even though he was…and we did A LOT, and very seldom did we wait for very long! Anyhow, we are leaving for DL (DS8 and I) in 2 weeks and I have 1 PS made and that’s really about it. I’m so nervous I can’t even stand it. I’ve been over here on the DL boards for a few months now and I read everything I possibly can, so I’m sure I will be armed with what I need….but, really I am nervous.

Anyhow, the moral of this story is you just have to take the plunge……don’t be afraid of new things, one day you will look back and laugh that you ever felt that way. After all his Disney planning is fun, isn’t it! And the longer you have to plan the more you can play around with it. If you have any questions about WDW, just ask….I love the place!

:wave: add me to the list of anxiety with disneyland...disneyworld is a piece of cake at this point..we put a trip together in two weeks and had a blast !!!...disneyland to me seems to be more expensive...after being so used to disneyworld..disneyland seems foreign almost to me...everything in two parks...and is california adventure really disney like ??? oh geesh..i feel the blood pressure rising..ha ha ... :scared:

cyndibelle said:
: and is california adventure really disney like ??? oh geesh..i feel the blood pressure rising..ha ha ... :scared:

Uh, in a word- NO. ;)

But, I havent been to WDW, so I dont know how the other parks are- so I can only compare DCA to DL- and they are not the same. Disneyland is 50 years old (I know, you already know that, let me finish! LOL)- which means it has established trees for shade, and has a nice aged look and feel. That doesnt, by the way, mean it looks old and tired- just like its been there, living a happy life. DCA is still pretty new. It was built on a parking lot- so its much more flat and doesnt have the well established foliage. It tends to lack shade on hot days. It also doesnt have any internal transportation- like DL has on main street- so, you must walk everywhere. It is smaller then DL too.

But, there are fun things to do and see. There are characters, shows, rides, shopping, food, etc! We can usually do what we need to do there in one day. It takes us at least 2 days, more if we can, to see and do what we want to in DL. We could easily spend 4-5 in DL and never run out of things to see and do. We would have a hard time in WDW- there is so much to see and do, we would never feel like we got to "finish".

As for all the planning- we tried that on our last trip. Then found it stressful that we couldnt enjoy things as they came up. We didn't feel like we could stop and see a group of characters or enjoy a musical act- because it would put us off schedule. After one day of that we threw out the schedule and just did what we felt like doing. We had two PS for the trip. We used one and missed the other one. We are very happy to just stop and eat where ever we are when we get hungry. Only once was that a bad idea. We waited in line for 45 min at French Market. It was prime dinner time. We could have ate a little earlier or found a snack and had dinner later.

In the 5 times we've been to WDW, we've still not seen it all. That's probaly what keeps us coming back for more.

Just a thought, but I'm kind of excited to see DCA. I think I'm the minority...I love MGM and that's what it reminds me of.

Princess Tink said:
I, like Chicago526, am having more anxiety about my 4 days in DL than I ever thought of having about any vacation to WDW. I think it’s just a matter of being more comfortable with planning something that you’ve done before and you’re more familiar with. We’ve been to WDW 5 times in almost as many years and it just seems to be fun…..all the planning and balancing, yes I’m nutz BTW. And believe me our trips to WDW are way more organized and timed than what this one seems to add up to. We usually spend 7-10 days in WDW, typically over the Fourth of July holiday….and I have spreadsheets that I keep track of everything (it’s almost embarrassing). I know what parks we will be in for each day, what time we will arrive, what rides we will ride and in what order, what time we will leave, and what we will do when we leave………I have 1 PS set up for each day for a sit down (usually lunch) with a CS in mind for the other meal. I know what day we will see what fireworks, I know what places we will shop and for how long I usually even know what we will spend on each meal…..I really do a juggling act. But, let me tell you I love every bit of it. My DH thinks I’m nutz. Actually, last year is the first year he really let me loose….he’s the type that likes to just let things flow. He was quite happy with all the work I did because he never felt like he was on a schedule even though he was…and we did A LOT, and very seldom did we wait for very long! Anyhow, we are leaving for DL (DS8 and I) in 2 weeks and I have 1 PS made and that’s really about it. I’m so nervous I can’t even stand it. I’ve been over here on the DL boards for a few months now and I read everything I possibly can, so I’m sure I will be armed with what I need….but, really I am nervous.

Anyhow, the moral of this story is you just have to take the plunge……don’t be afraid of new things, one day you will look back and laugh that you ever felt that way. After all his Disney planning is fun, isn’t it! And the longer you have to plan the more you can play around with it. If you have any questions about WDW, just ask….I love the place!

WOW! My long lost twin-sister! I just knew Mom was lieing to me! ;)

I am trying to "go with the flow" more for DL, especially since we'll have 3 and 1/2 days for 2 parks. I just have to plan meals. I don't know why, but I'm not happy unless I know where we are eating dinner. We make dinner our sit dow meal, by 6 PM we just need a long break from park touring. But since I know so little about the sit-down restaurants at DL, I'm just going N U T S :crazy: trying to decide! Blue Bayou is down for the POTC pirate: rehab while we are there :sad1: so that's out!

At least I got the hotel picked out (Desert Inn @ $59 a night! :teeth: ). Now I'm debating between a car rental or Super Shuttle. A car gives us more options but the shuttle is less than half the cost. Ugh...sometimes all this planning becomes more work than fun, and that just ain't right!

I hate to be repetitive, but I am also finding the DL planning more difficult in some ways than WDW. I think maybe it's the scale thing...WDW is huge, so if you are a planner, you know up front you have to get a lot of details and prepare for so much...with DL, I can't help but think it's like MK for 3 days with a day at MGM to boot...I know that DL is more involved than MK, but it's hard to plan for 3 or 4 days at DL compared to 6 at WDW ( our family in WDW breaks it down to 2 days MK, 2 days Epcot, 1 day MGM and 1 day AK)...it just seems like in comparrision you shouldn't even need a plan, you should have time to do it all, twice. LOL. Plus, there is less detailed info to DL available. You can find hundreds of pages printed detailing all the dining in WDW with reviews, prices and the fare...not so for DL that I have found.
It seems like for a trip to WDW you are encouraged to plan, maybe even over-plan, while for DL the feeling is more, go with the flow, let it happen...sorry to rattle on like this, but I am finding the planning aspect for the DL trip very confusing and it is nice to get it off my chest. :blush:

Chicago526, I’m sure you’ll get it all taken care of before your dates get here. I too have been torn with all these choices and not one first hand experience myself. I just this past week decided we’d take SS, since it’s just DS8 and myself and having never been west before.

We are staying at the Embassy-Buena Park, but I’m starting to have last minute jitters. We decided to stay there having been impressed with ES in other cities including our own and because they have a shuttle for DL and KBF. However, I’m really feeling bad and all 3 hotels are booked solid……that is unless you are willing to pay $300 plus a night (I found out about the Disney Visa code too late in the game).

I have only scheduled 1 meal so far, actually 2 (but planning on canceling 1)…..trying to get 3 more on the books before I leave in 2 weeks. I can’t wait til we get there.

The bad part is that I’m trying to plan this without my son knowing. All the while planning his birthday party, his scavenger hunt to find his big surprise (OPERATION BIRTHDAY), and getting things ready for his Valentine’s Day party at school. Which I suppose wouldn’t sound like a lot if I didn’t work 40+ hours away from the house.

Have I mentioned I LOVE PLANNING for DISNEY TRIPS!!!

The reason you can't find detailed dinning info for DL is that there just aren't that many choices! Check out www.dlresortinfo.com for menus and prices.

If you want to stay within the two parks you have two choices for full service, sit down meals. Blue Bayou, which is closing soon for the pirate's rehab. And the carnation cafe on main street. We havent eaten at most of the places in DCA, so I dont have a ton of knowledge on it- I would recomend you look at the above website for more details.

Then there is always down town disney, which offers plenty of sit down dinnning.

One thing that takes more time at DL then at WDW, is waiting for shows. If you want a good seat for fireworks or F!, you'll need to spend a couple of hours waiting, holding a spot. There isnt stadium seating for F!- you either pay $56 a person for a seat, and book it 30 days in advance or you wait on the ground. For fireworks you either take a tour that ends with fireworks or wait on the ground. Both are worth the wait, but it does eat a chunk of time.

TY for the help...when I first realized you have to gather and sit for the F!, I pictured the fireworks at Epcot...is it sort of the same? (in otherwords, gather for a couple of hours before, stake out a spot and wait) Also, does anyone know if the F! in DL is different from the one in WDW? And, is it worth it to pay the $56?

The $56 is worth paying if you dont want to spend the time waiting. You can also so the 2nd showing with out as much wait. And yes, you do find a spot and hang out. If you have an blanket or one of those "neat sheets" those are nice to use to save your spot. We have also taken pool towels from the hotel and used them. Often one of us will stay with the spot and the other will take the kids on a ride and get some snacks. Just make sure at least one of you stays. Otherwise your stuff will be moved by people willing to wait it out.

There are two types of seating- the balcony and riverside. Balcony is $56 per person, the desserts are a bit more upscale the the riverside ones. The view is good- but personally I think the show looses something by being that far away. I like to feel the spray and heat from the fire. But, it does make you feel special to be one of 21 people out of 60K in the park. Riverside seating does offer a $10 discount for children. The desserts are more along the lines of cookies and strawberries. Its gets you close enough to really experience the spray and heat.

mAlien13 said:
I hate to be repetitive, but I am also finding the DL planning more difficult in some ways than WDW. I think maybe it's the scale thing...WDW is huge, so if you are a planner, you know up front you have to get a lot of details and prepare for so much...with DL, I can't help but think it's like MK for 3 days with a day at MGM to boot...I know that DL is more involved than MK, but it's hard to plan for 3 or 4 days at DL compared to 6 at WDW ( our family in WDW breaks it down to 2 days MK, 2 days Epcot, 1 day MGM and 1 day AK)...it just seems like in comparrision you shouldn't even need a plan, you should have time to do it all, twice. LOL. Plus, there is less detailed info to DL available. You can find hundreds of pages printed detailing all the dining in WDW with reviews, prices and the fare...not so for DL that I have found.
It seems like for a trip to WDW you are encouraged to plan, maybe even over-plan, while for DL the feeling is more, go with the flow, let it happen...sorry to rattle on like this, but I am finding the planning aspect for the DL trip very confusing and it is nice to get it off my chest. :blush:

I'm with you. Planning DL seems harder for all the reasons you described. I did find a discussion forum that's been helpful. It's like the DIS in reverse. By that, I mean the DIS is basically WDW fanatics with a forum for DL... so you mlight have to wait ahile to get your DL questions answered here. But on Micechat ... it's for DL diehards, with a WDW forum more as an afterthought. That's helped me to understand the rather strange FASTPASS system DL has. I think the hardest thing for an uber-planner like me is that there really arent' any restaurants at DL, ulike at WDW where you can literally plan your vacation around the food.

I think that once Passporter gets its DL book published and now that Deb's site has some information on DL, the information is starting to get better, or maybe I'm getting better at finding it.

Does WDW have a fast pass system and if so how is different from DL? We havent been to WDW, and probably wont go for another 4-5 years or so. I have NO desire to spend that much time on an airplane with my kids. LOL We are in WA, so its a long, long, long flight.

She's planning a DL trip, too.

Believe it or not, I did spreadsheets for DL and CA! The reason I did was that I didn't want to miss any of the shows or parades. When we went to WDW I planned rides, not parades and shows, and ended up only seeing 1 parade in 5 days.

As for eating at DL...I'm with the crowd that refuses to waste time eating. Ya sure wouldn't know it from looking at me, would you :rotfl: The important thing was...you can get chicken strips anywhere in DL. Give my kids some strips and they're good to go!

We ate breakfast in our hotel each day. HoJos had yogurt and fresh fruit in their gift shop. We ate healthy at least once a day! One night we grabbed dinner at McDonalds on the way back to the hotel. Another day we ate at ESPN zone. We thought the food there was good...but then again we got a great discount.

When we went to WDW the only places we ate at inside the parks were Aunt Pollys (twice), Crystal Pavilion (once) and Restaurantasaurs (once). I know, that may sound nuts. I just felt like the restaurants were planned as distractions...ways to take more of my time and money. We ate both breakfast and dinner at ASM. I took crackers and cookies to tide us over during the day.

Have fun with your planning. A tip about Fantasmic...if the seating outside next to The Golden Horseshoe (dang...what's the name of the restaurant...the River Belle???) is available, mosey on in and keep working your way closer and closer to the rails as the crowds thin. The further away from the Golden Horseshoe, the better. Okay, I'm gonna venture out on thin ice here, but in my experience the show at MGM is heads and tails above the one at DL. Given the option for a re-do, we'd see the fireworks twice and skip the DL version of Fantasmic.

I guess I need to hang around the WDW boards more...maybe I'll feel more comfortable with my decisions by the time I need to actually book. BTW...does anyone know how far in advance they take bookings, lol??? I couldn't get anyone on that board to answer my ?.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter